ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Newman plans to publicly commit to Mississippi State

I would like to have him but I'm not going to fault a kid for honoring his dad

With a lot of these kids being one and done, it's no surprise that most of them don't care about winning or the legacy they will leave in college. It's immaterial to the ultimate goal.

Can't fault a kid for doing what he thinks is best for him. And it's not like Howland didn't turn highly ranked recruits into lottery picks and others in the first round when he was at UCLA.

I agree with Willy4UK ... when Cal signed Isaiah Briscoe that ended any chance that Newman would come to U.K. After that, Newman never had any intention, whatsoever, of coming to Kentucky. And I'm not complaining about that. I think we'll all be thrilled to have Briscoe, by mid-season or earlier, even though it meant that we wouldn't get Newman. But anybody who thinks that Newman was doing anything other than stringing Cal along, after we signed Briscoe, was just duped by the young man from Mississippi.

Just MHO, of course.

Collison, Westbrook, Afflalo, Kyle Anderson, Trevor Ariza, Jordan Farmer, all UCLA guards drafted in the first round under Howland.

images

This.

Kids think that if they go somewhere where they'll be the focal point of the offense that they will be happy. Shabazz did that by going to UCLA and from all accounts he hated his experience despite averaging 17.9 ppg, probably because that even though he got what he wanted, he ultimately played for a terrible team that didn't get along with each other and a terrible coach in his final season who didn't even care. Muhammad was the preseason favorite to be the #1 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft and ended up going 14th.

People need to get over that these players have to go to a certain school to be exposed to the NBA scouts. Russell, who just announced today that he was declaring for the draft, went to Ohio State over some of the other bigger schools and he is still a top 5 pick. He was "the man" and didn't hurt his draft stock one bit that they lost in the round of 32.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Newman will certainly be the man at State, like as the only man - as a one and done, this time next year,
he'll find out playing in the NIT did nothing to elevate his draft status.

People need to get over that these players have to go to a certain school to be exposed to the NBA scouts. Russell, who just announced today that he was declaring for the draft, went to Ohio State over some of the other bigger schools and he is still a top 5 pick. He was "the man" and didn't hurt his draft stock one bit that they lost in the round of 32.
I feel like there is a difference in Ohio State and Mississippi State. I may be wrong.

Per Gary Parrish' sources.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 4s4 seconds ago
Malik Newman plans to publicly commit to Mississippi State this week, multiple sources have told @CBSSports. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1aSURms

I am still holding out a little bit of hope that he could possibly have a change of heart, but it doesn't look good. According to two coaches, Newman to MSU is "done".

Well, congrats to him. Staying home where his family, friends, and current fans can continue to see him play. Nothing wrong with that, and I hope he does well for himself. Best of luck except when he plays the Cats!

I hate that we miss out on elite talent year after year. Its a real smack in the face to see top ten players go to msu,lsu,cal and we somehow only land 5"9 shooting guards with zero D1 offers.

Some of you act like UL fans the way you bad mouth a kid. If he goes to Miss. St. that is his choice. Wish he would come to UK but we will be fine.

No, because some of them are willfully picking crappy schools with almost no chance at a title. Newman at State. Zimmerman at UNLV. Rabb at California. Potentially Brown to Michigan and Diallo to John's.

Makes one wonder if winning at the college level even matters to some of them. Maybe it doesn't.

I honestly don't think it does. To some it might. But, those guys probably think they'll carry the team to a title. But when evaluating school's I think most kids are looking at what helps their pro stock the most. Some kids look at the UK track record, and decide that's the best. Others think there are too many mouths to feed to highlight them properly.

BUT CANEINTALLY TOLD ME HE'S A LOCK TO COME HERE!!

Theres no need to bash the guy or his mentality. His reasoning to go elsewhere is pretty solid. Fact is, he wants to maximize his stock, which will only happen if he gets a chance to run the show and try to showcase to scouts he can run some point. Because his physical tools aren't intriguing as a 2-guard.

Theres no need to bash the guy or his mentality. His reasoning to go elsewhere is pretty solid. Fact is, he wants to maximize his stock, which will only happen if he gets a chance to run the show and try to showcase to scouts he can run some point. Because his physical tools aren't intriguing as a 2-guard.

Maximized in the NIT?

LOL gotta love someone who has been on for a year bashing me when i have been on here since 98 and been paying since 02. rich ...

Glad Newmans going to an SEC school.. Next season is shaping up nicely. The SEC is gonna be better by leaps and bounds..

We will be fine people worry for nothing. So we lose 8 games by tournament time we will be fine. Calipari always shows out in March

Collison, Westbrook, Afflalo, Kyle Anderson, Trevor Ariza, Jordan Farmer, all UCLA guards drafted in the first round under Howland.

Yea...Newman's dad is buying this crap also. Surely he knows basketball & knows Howland is a washed up coach that was fired for a reason.

“From what I heard [Howland] has just as many players in the NBA as [Kentucky coach John Calipari] Cal does,” Webster told The Clarion-Ledger. “The fact that he went to three straight Final Fours, that in itself speaks volumes. Mississippi State wasn’t far off. I think if Coach [Rick] Ray would have been there another year they might have made it with the juniors and seniors they have.”

All I can do is say really? Does he really believe this?

He's also staying home. That's a factor, too. I wish him the best.

When its all said and done we will have the #1 class looking to compete for another ff run while Mississippi st hopes to be a .500 ball team. Scoring about 50 points a game under Howland. What a dumb choice but Kentucky will be one of the best teams going into march.

He wants to play PG. That's not happening here. I'm not going to bash the kid. He'll have the ball in his hands at all times down there. His team will suck, but not sure he's worried about that.
Ive heard this, but think he would be ok doing 2. My thing is that he wants to run the show and be the man. That just aint happening here. We are team ball.

Glad Newmans going to an SEC school.. Next season is shaping up nicely. The SEC is gonna be better by leaps and bounds..

Not really. Arkansas and LSU are going to take steps back (sorry but you lose Martin and Mickey you are not going to be better even with their frosh. Factor in the Jones "coaching" factor and that is a given). I do not see any team that really should challenge this UK team even with just adding Mulder. UK will lose 3-4 games but win the league by 2-3 games fairly easily.

Not really. Arkansas and LSU are going to take steps back (sorry but you lose Martin and Mickey you are not going to be better even with their frosh. Factor in the Jones "coaching" factor and that is a given). I do not see any team that really should challenge this UK team even with just adding Mulder. UK will lose 3-4 games but win the league by 2-3 games fairly easily.

Jury's still out on LSU.. They've got some great talent coming in.. Arkansas is losing a lot but the rest of the league is on the rise. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 to 5 teams in the top 25 this year at all.

ADVERTISEMENT