ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Newman plans to publicly commit to Mississippi State

No, you're right, it's totally normal for elite prospects to attend bottom-feeding SEC schools.
It is when that recruit's father played for the school, the newly hired coach has had success getting guards to the NBA, and he grew up in the area. Not every recruit has to attend a top-flight basketball school.

The kid is a very good player and will do well. His connection to MS and the PG issue were just too much to overcome.

Going to be some talent in the SEC next year. Really hope Cal can land someone else that can contribute.

I thought we were all for kids making the decisions they think are best for them....or does that only apply to the NBA decisions for our own guys.

You say that like there is some disconnect. Not everyone agrees with our guys when they leave to go pro when they do, but they still support them. Doesn't mean that they have to change their opinion about the wisdom of the decision.

It seems as if the Class of 2015 wants to be the "man" wherever they play. That's why I like Skal and Briscoe they signed not knowing who was gonna be here. They just wanted to be a part of something great. Newman and Jaylen Brown want to be the "show", not be a part of the show. Add in the fact that he wants to play PG exclusively and I think MSU is his best bet. Good Luck Young Man.

This ^^^^^^^^

Good luck to him. And it probably is that he wanted to the point guard. I'll take Ullis every day of the week.

Because many UK targets have opted to go elsewhere?

No, because some of them are willfully picking crappy schools with almost no chance at a title. Newman at State. Zimmerman at UNLV. Rabb at California. Potentially Brown to Michigan and Diallo to John's.

Makes one wonder if winning at the college level even matters to some of them. Maybe it doesn't.

IMG_3155_zpso1oqbfnz.jpg

That Mississippi State roster is a mess next year. Newman may average 40 ppg just because nobody else will be able to score.

I remember a guy by the name of Pistol Pete doing that and never did beat UK as I recall.

LOL at that joke of a college Miss St. and their handful of fans. I still don't really believe this because again I don't think he's that dumb. But we shall see.

Not much of a surprise to me. His interviews never led me to believe he was a UK lean. Sure wish we could have gotten him, but at least its to an SEC school. Good luck to him and MissSt as long as they're not playing us.

I thought we were all for kids making the decisions they think are best for them....or does that only apply to the NBA decisions for our own guys.

Many of our fans believe the only wise decision a recruit can make is to choose UK, everything else is folly.

A kid like Newman choosing to play at his home state school where his father played? Well, obviously that mean he's selfish, dumb, not a team player, "me first", only want to be the "man", etc.

Said he will sit down with his family and decide and if if miss st. fits him the best that's where he will go ..

Newman and dad now denying MSU is a done deal. Article in Clarion Ledger.

Many of our fans believe the only wise decision a recruit can make is to choose UK, everything else is folly.

A kid like Newman choosing to play at his home state school where his father played? Well, obviously that mean he's selfish, dumb, not a team player, "me first", only want to be the "man", etc.

You're really going to try and use this one for your "UK fans being stupid" scrapbook? You can defend this with a straight face and intellectual integrity after the comments he's made?

Look, even if he chose Kentucky, you wouldn't be out of line to question his mindset and willingness to be a team player. A choice like this just reinforces that perception, and when you frame it within the context of his own words, it's no stretch to reach the conclusion many have.

Stephen Zimmerman chose to stay home and go where he's comfortable. Malik Newman's choice is pretty clearly less about that and more about getting exactly what he's admitted he's looking for. Those things are, by nature, about "being the man."

Newman and dad now denying MSU is a done deal. Article in Clarion Ledger.

What else can they say? This is like the Zimmerman announcement. The awful part is that reporters are spoiling the kid's moment to be the first for clicks and retweets. But how often do we see a denial and then find out the next day it was true?

Well, I know three people who have to be ecstatic about this, Briscoe, Matthews, and Ulis. While they'll be displaying their talents on a team with high hopes in the NCAAT Malik Newman will be toiling with a team trying to make it .500 and hopefully get a bid to a tournament somewhere. Those 3 guys are going to get very high amounts of minutes. I'm happy for them. Briscoe and Ulis vs Sword and Newman will be a fun match up to watch.

From the beginning I have never made a comment about Newman. I knew that coach Cal would do whatever needed to get him to come to UK, but I now realize he too must have had second thoughts about his demands of wanting to be the PG only and his me, me character.
Whatever happens , and wherever he plays it won't bother me.
We will be just fine.
Personally I wish him good luck, but I also hope we beat his conceded behind playing for flunkies twice next season.

SEC hauling in the best coaching and playing talent...

Cal
Donovan
Pearl
Howland
Avery Johnson
Rick Barnes....

wow...

Good for State...Maybe he and Howland will make them somewhat competitive...

look for sec to be one of the most competitive and exciting conferences next year...

I'm not one to say stuff about other schools paying players.... But why else would a kid want to go to starksville. I would just go overseas before living in that dump for 6 moths.

It's not about him picking another school.... Kansas, Duke, whatever... But Miss. ST? And to play for Howland, who proved he is incompetent at UCLA.

Dont forget who the new SEC Commissioner is ... an Alum of MSU. Maybe not to the extent UNC is protected in the ACC, but MSU will get boosted just from having their alum controlling the SEC. Bet that played a big role in getting Howland to come on board ..

What else can they say? This is like the Zimmerman announcement. The awful part is that reporters are spoiling the kid's moment to be the first for clicks and retweets. But how often do we see a denial and then find out the next day it was true?

That's the dark side of all this. These kids want the maximum attention and suspense. Can't really cry wolf when the media turns the whole thing on them.

Oh well. Will help him transition to the NBA. He'll lost a lot at Mississippi State just like he will if he ends up being a high lottery pick (since he'll likely go to a pretty bad team).

ADVERTISEMENT