ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Newman plans to publicly commit to Mississippi State

All you can do is laugh. What a bonkers bunch of recruits this year.

Go get yours, Malik. Mississippi touching State.

Reactions: Brando Mac
What ever if that's what he wants to do so be it UK is UK and we got Cal at the head guys are going to see when its to late man o man what a mistake I made going here just to jack up shot after shot and still lose.

Half of the Rivals top 10 could be playing in the SEC next year.

Strange and interesting development and a testament to how important hiring the right coach is.

images
Jason. I agree. But I think when Briscoe committed and signed that it ended the Newman to UK. That's my gut feeling. Yet though, I do think Newman's family doesn't seem as slimy as Shabazz and Cliff Alexander's dad. Those were some pure slime.

Oh no, here comes the common replies of we didn't want him anyways, not a team player, and wouldn't fit in at UK. I guess his new head coach who was great in a few good men told Newman this; you want me on that team you need me on that team. Some on here may jump off a bridge with the love fest they had for Newman. Let him go to Mississippi state, I have no doubt we will kick their asses come conference play.

Had a bad feeling about this kid ever since I saw that "just give me the keys" and "get in, get out" quote... seems like exactly the type of mind who would be attracted to MSU. Best of luck to him.

I don't get it, and clearly we cannot get every single player out there......but....

If you are a Lil Bro fan you have to be scratching your head. Miss St. LSU and a lot of others are getting 5 stars. They can only land an unknown guard in Florida who looks like he's 12.

He wants to play PG. That's not happening here. I'm not going to bash the kid. He'll have the ball in his hands at all times down there. His team will suck, but not sure he's worried about that.

Reactions: jrm693
Ahhhhh, hopefully this means we will get Jamal Murray, as I do not think we would have gotten both. If we get Murray and Diallo I will be more than pleased and not care one ounce about Newman's decision. This could make Mississippi State a tournament team next year, but not much more than that, so whatever.

Per Gary Parrish' sources.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 4s4 seconds ago
Malik Newman plans to publicly commit to Mississippi State this week, multiple sources have told @CBSSports. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1aSURms

I am still holding out a little bit of hope that he could possibly have a change of heart, but it doesn't look good. According to two coaches, Newman to MSU is "done".
Not a surprise but glad this is out there so Cal doesn't waste another visit on him. Even though his dad denied it earlier I'd expect him on the MSU staff.

The kid is a legacy student with his Dad having played there. Congrats to Newman and family!

I just see him getting double teamed a lot, which will create bad shots. I put money on his draft stock dropping. Mississippi st will be horrible, but good luck to him

It seems as if the Class of 2015 wants to be the "man" wherever they play. That's why I like Skal and Briscoe they signed not knowing who was gonna be here. They just wanted to be a part of something great. Newman and Jaylen Brown want to be the "show", not be a part of the show. Add in the fact that he wants to play PG exclusively and I think MSU is his best bet. Good Luck Young Man.

Reactions: bigc45157
No, you're right, it's totally normal for elite prospects to attend bottom-feeding SEC schools.
It's not totally insane he wants to stay home. He likely wants to be THE guy next year. That won't happen at UK. Hell, he wouldn't even get a chance to run the point at UK.

As for the LSU and A&M recruits, I'm not familiar enough with those situations to comment.

Because many UK targets have opted to go elsewhere?
Not just because UK has missed but because a lot of people have missed. LSU has the top class! I mean come one and other top recruits are picking MSU, Cal, Marquette, UNLV, Oregon.

Kansas has one commitment, UNC has none (maybe because of NCAA problems). The big boys have been spruned this class. That's why this is a weird class. It differs from the norm.

Reactions: mcbarrycat
Bad news but it has been expected for a pretty long time now.Let's just hope Jamal Murray decides to reclassify and come here.I think he would be a perfect fit.

Reactions: gossie21
That Mississippi State roster is a mess next year. Newman may average 40 ppg just because nobody else will be able to score.

It seems as if the Class of 2015 wants to be the "man" wherever they play. That's why I like Skal and Briscoe they signed not knowing who was gonna be here. They just wanted to be a part of something great. Newman and Jaylen Brown want to be the "show", not be a part of the show. Add in the fact that he wants to play PG exclusively and I think MSU is his best bet. Good Luck Young Man.

Who was going to be here? 7 players left for the draft and theres open spots on the roster everywhere.Its not like Newman will be fighting off Ulis, Poythress or Lee for a starting spot. The two slot is completely open. And don't act like Skal didn't already know that Towns was leaving after a year. Skal knew there was plenty of playing time and a starting spot to be had at Kentucky. I just don't understand the players in this class.

Teams will be able to totally focus their defense on him at Miss. State. This could prove to be a huge mistake on his part. It could easily cost him millions. Reminds me of Rupps quote about being smart.

No surprise.

Cal needs to do all that he can right now to reel in Mulder and a re-classified Murray.

It's not totally insane he wants to stay home. He likely wants to be THE guy next year. That won't happen at UK. Hell, he wouldn't even get a chance to run the point at UK.

As for the LSU and A&M recruits, I'm not familiar enough with those situations to comment.

It would be like a Top 5 player spurning Duke to go to VT, Boston College, Clemson.

I thought we were all for kids making the decisions they think are best for them....or does that only apply to the NBA decisions for our own guys.

I have no problem with it. The kid is an UNBELIEVABLE talent but honestly don't think UK and him are a good fit. From what I've seen he's strikes me as a trash talking "me first, team second" kind of guy and that won't fly at UK. I mean really?, who get's "teed up" in their own mixtape?! lol

Teams will be able to totally focus their defense on him at Miss. State. This could prove to be a huge mistake on his part. It could easily cost him millions. Reminds me of Rupps quote about being smart.
I totally agree, he's going to see a lot of double teams

ADVERTISEMENT