ADVERTISEMENT

Making Bowl Games Meaningless

One assumes that much money is over time. I didn't mean a truck full of $65 million cash delivered all at once. It may be over 10-20 years who knows.

You can look it up on the athletic department's website on Barnhart's profile, actually quite an impressive little bio. He's done a lot for this athletic department and university and is actually a big to do in collegiate athletics. He committed $65 million to help pay for the building. AD also gives to scholarship fund among other things.
I believe it’s 2.5% of their operating budget goes to pay the debt on the science building, until the $60 million is paid off

A&M is a mid tier SEC team that looked like Vanderbilt. At full strength they are better than OK St………
What? Oklahoma State has a better record, is ranked higher, and had a win over the #12 team - far better than anything A&M had.

So, again, I’ll ask. Do you think a college player shouldn’t be allowed to do endorsements that pay them? The NCAA screwed this one up by burrying their head in the sand hoping it would go away. It started with Jeremy Bloom at Colorado in the early 2000’s, continued with the NCAA video game saga and got to where we are now.

Any other student who goes to UK on a full ride has the ability to make money off of their name, image and likeness. Why shouldn’t college athletes?
So what exactly Dingle endorses?

I’m cool for the main guys to get endorsements..but this isn’t about revenue to the business…it’s a paycheck to football players to just play ball

Reactions: gojvc
I’m cool for the main guys to get endorsements..but this isn’t about revenue to the business…it’s a paycheck to football players to just play ball
For sure. You’re either for that or against it. But it’s a complete joke to pretend it’s anything other than that.

Last edited:
So what exactly Dingle endorses?

I wrote “I agree 100% that NIL is a mess ahd they need to fix some things” recognizing the the concept of NIL is good while the execution is terrible by the NCAA because they buried their head.

As for your question about Dingle, I know one of his big endorsements that he does is work with the Catholic Action Center of Lexington as part of his NIL deal.

Don’t watch all the Bowl games but watch a lot of them. Love College Football and most games have intriguing storylines and some teams actually embrace the game as their Super Bowl.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Are we supposed to be pissed about coaches who also opt out early for better jobs and opportunities or is this just the "things are rapidly changing and when I was young I never got these types of opportunities so I'm going to be aggressively mad at young adults and I think things should be taken away from them" argument?

It's fine to admit the portal situation is crazy but likely not to change substantially however minor tweaks to it and NIL might be good. I think when you've begun suggesting stripping players of money/room and board/wanting them kicked out, congratulations, you've turned into Billy Reed's grumpy old ass who once suggested banning freshmen from playing college basketball once Louisville got into trouble for the Bowen payment situation.

• Haha
Reactions: JHB4UK and gojvc
I guarantee that teams from lesser conferences are glad for bowl games especially since it helps keep all of their sports viable especially women’s sports

I just don’t understand why people want to get rid of more football? I just don’t understand the rush to have fewer bowl games at the end of the year.

Because they are completely meaningless. With the opt outs and transfers, it just shows how the players themselves feel about the bowl games as well.

So, you don’t like watching more football?

I watched the Kentucky game today. I will also watch the playoffs but not much else. And, btw, I didn't watch UK last year in the bowl due to the players sitting it out. I am glad I missed that one.

And, to be honest, I did walk away several times today because I have no confidence in Kentucky winning a close football game, expecially a bowl game.

So, again, I’ll ask. Do you think a college player shouldn’t be allowed to do endorsements that pay them? The NCAA screwed this one up by burrying their head in the sand hoping it would go away. It started with Jeremy Bloom at Colorado in the early 2000’s, continued with the NCAA video game saga and got to where we are now.

Any other student who goes to UK on a full ride has the ability to make money off of their name, image and likeness. Why shouldn’t college athletes?
I do not care if they make 10 million on NIL, but if they get paid they should pay the University for the benefits of a athletic scholarship. If it was not for the Institution then the players NIL would not buy them a Hotdog. The Institution is the stage to showcase talents.

• Wow
Reactions: BigTyrone
I watched the Kentucky game today. I will also watch the playoffs but not much else. And, btw, I didn't watch UK last year in the bowl due to the players sitting it out. I am glad I missed that one.

And, to be honest, I did walk away several times today because I have no confidence in Kentucky winning a close football game, expecially a bowl game.

This is me at this point.

I dont watch any NFL gamed other than Titans either and same with UK basketball as college basketball overall is boring until conference tourney time.

I'm married with a kid and have other interests other than watching sports 24 7 like when I was a single teens or twenties person.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
So, you don’t like watching more football?

Here is a great article on the ridiculousness of the current state of the bowl games:

" The creation of this fake playoff, and now its expansion, has reduced the bowl games that are not a part of the postseason bracket to spring football exhibitions."

Here is a great article on the ridiculousness of the current state of the bowl games:

" The creation of this fake playoff, and now its expansion, has reduced the bowl games that are not a part of the postseason bracket to spring football exhibitions."

That’s all fine, but it’s still college football games. There is a reason why they all draw big numbers…people like watching college football regardless of the opponents or purpose of the games.

That’s all fine, but it’s still college football games. There is a reason why they all draw big numbers…people like watching college football regardless of the opponents or purpose of the games.

Thanks for the discussion! I always enjoy your posts. I just hope they "fix" this some way, shape or form. It is just hard to get excited about Ohio State losing to Missouri when I discover that the QB transferred and the star receiver opted out.

Reactions: bthaunert

Yeah, I think that's coming. Once it all gets hammered out and there's official paperwork and organized body to oversee such things.

We're probably going to see contractual frameworks, more organized/official "portal" or free agency essentially. Meaning, kids just can't walk. Just like pros can't just walk. There's an official time, place, "market" with rules etc...

Also, we know who is getting what and specific contract details in the pros. There's a pay scale based on market and what similar players are getting.

I think that's what coaches, ADs, media/sponsors, and bowl sponsors, need to start barking about.

"Hey, we're paying kids now...they need to play. They need to sign official contracts and commit playing entire seasons and staying put."

Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT