ADVERTISEMENT

Low carb diets

Feb 3, 2005
Anybody doing this? Any tips or recipes to share?

I've been using www.netrition.com a lot to get some low carb breads and treats to ease the cravings.

I also bought a vegetable strip slicer to make noodles of zucchini. I had been using shirataki noodles but I like the zucchini strips better.

I'm doing low carb right now with a cheat day on Saturday. Lost 13 lbs this go round so far. I keep sunflower seeds to munch on. Stay away from anything white such as potatoes, rice, noodles etc. Exercise and water. So many say it and it's true. I've googled many good low carb recipes.

It works if you stick to it. In '08 I lost 110 lbs doing it. The lbs simply melted off in 10 months. Felt great, felt good about were I was at but lost my discipline and gained back, so here we go again.

I've done the low carb diet several times before. I love it. I've never been overweight really, but I can get a small belly from beer drinking sometimes. A few weeks of low carb and exercise and I slim back down. I've pretty much figured out a hack for any craving. I really don't cheat as it makes me feel like crap if I do. I haven't tried the bullet proof coffee yet, but I'm thinking about giving it a shot as a breakfast alternative. My only beef with the low carb diet is I feel like I'm always hungry. Tons of water helps this a little.

OP- If I were you, I'd be getting my ass into a Green Tea Hi-Colonic.

For pure weight loss, go full on ketosis. That's what I'm currently doing and I'm back to my college freshman weight (did so in about 3 weeks). As far as never feeling full, I would say eat more meat.

Reactions: KYlady
Did Atkins and lost a ton of weight. Been keeping it off for nearly 20 years. Whenever I start gaining a little bit, throw off the carbs completely until my weight gets back where I want it.

Been doing low cal since 1st of this yr, lost 40 lbs thus far. Honestly have not been eating real healthy, but I have obsessively counted calories using myfitnesspal on my phone, and keeping at or below 1500 cal/day.

Guess the only major change in my diet health wise is watching what I drink to not waste my calories there, sticking with flavored water. Haven't missed the eating so much, but cutting out soft drinks/milk/beer has kind of sucked. Oh well, gotta suffer somewhere to get this accomplished.

Low fat diets = more hunger.

My caloric breakdown

60-65% fat
30-35% protein
~5% carbs

I cycle ketosis and carb refeeds.

carbbackloading.com
Carbnite.com if you don't lift a lot

If you would like to go low carb just go to about any diabetic sites.
I have been a diabetic for many years and to control your blood sugars you must follow low carb plans.
You will be surprised how many foods are not low card and surprised how many are low carb.

Diabetes Daily.com is a great place to find many meal plans that are low carbs.

^^ I thought myfitnesspal was just a calorie counter for clueless fatties. Didn't know it calculated your macros. May have to start using it...

the original version was basically just that but they've underwent several updates in the last year. It's even sponsored by Under Armor now.
So it's gone from this ....
MyFitnessPal.jpg

To this?
bro_zpsmbvrnznp.jpg

Another low cal diet tip I read a few months ago (don't know if it is valid or not), is to change up the amount you eat each day, don't keep it constant. strive for an avg of say 1500, but do it by eating 1800 one day, 1200 the next. keep the body confused rather than processing the same amounts.

Another low cal diet tip I read a few months ago (don't know if it is valid or not), is to change up the amount you eat each day, don't keep it constant. strive for an avg of say 1500, but do it by eating 1800 one day, 1200 the next. keep the body confused rather than processing the same amounts.

It's not that difficult. Take in less calories than you use.

I had to make sure to drink water to have a good bowel movement. Peanuts gave me my crunch. Basically you are cutting out sweets, cokes, and breads. Get in a good walk 2-3 times a week. After a while, you might just be walking every day.

The first couple of days off sugar for some can indeed be difficult. Sugar withdrawal can cause headaches. I think for some, it is a great diet. I'm not sure it is for everybody.

Thanks for the tip on changing macros in My Fitness Pal. Went with 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat. I'm doing the ketogenic diet.

Ketosis = the state in which your body is using ketones for energy instead of sugars.
Ketogenic diet = a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet to get your body producing ketones

You basically modify the amount of fat intake to lose more or less weight. Less fat, more weight loss.

just replace the sugar with snorting cocaine and you get your sugar group intake while also having insane crazy amounts of energy to take long walks/runs/burn a house down.

You know, I think many forget about the "Smack and Crack" Diet. You are guaranteed to lose weight by becoming a junkie, losing your job and family, and living on the street. No, it's usually not as healthy as pork rinds and bacon, but you will lose waist sizes.

yea that diet tip was pretty stupid. Confusing muscles with weight training and mixing it up doesn't work the same way with confusing the digestive system. The digestive system is gonna digest what you put into it no matter how little or how much it is each day.

Since the body burns carbs first for energy, then fat... eat/drink fewer carbs to burn that energy quicker to get to the fat burning. It's not a difficult concept. On top of that... eat less fat and that's less fat you'll have to burn. Low carb, low fat, more exercise = weight loss and toning up. Novel concept.
Also not exactly accurate. You can become fat adapted and your body will preferentially burn fat stores.

Also, consuming fats first thing in the morning, specifically medium chain triglycerides found in coconut oil, actually start the process of using fat for energy.

Exogenous fat consumption actually helps you use body fat. Low fat diets aren't really all that good for you in the long run.

Reactions: JHB4UK
For people who just want to lose weight without overthinking it, yes, it is that simple.

If they want to lose "weight", yeah, that's probably enough.

If they care about losing mostly fat, and sparing lean muscle tissue, it's likely not enough. Weight gain after weight loss when about 30-40% of the weight was muscle leads to "skinny fat".

Reactions: JHB4UK
Well while you guys are busy in the lab, I'll continue to eat a reasonably healthy diet, control portions, and lift heavy objects at the gym. Seems to work for me #blessed.

I lost 20 pounds by decreasing soft drink intake and getting off my ass for some physical activity.

Feels good man.

Reactions: Mossip
Hey guys, I was trying to decide between a grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies or a totinos party pizza and potato chips for dinner. I don't really have the know-how to analyze the different types of calories. Will the pics below help? Thanks in advance.

ch2f76.jpg

ch2f77.jpg

The advantage of a ketogenic diet is that you can eat until full. The biggest problem most people have with a simple low calorie diet is that you have a set amount of food you can eat, by necessity. With keto, if you are hungry there are plenty of good, filling foods that have zero carbs. It also is a much quicker way to lose weight than simply cutting calories for most people.

I won't get into the fatty acid chain debate or which diet is "healthier" and while simply cutting calories is the obvious answer (and you will almost certainly lose weight that way), that doesn't mean it is the most effective or simplest.

Amazing how much incorrect info about dieting is out there. If you have weight around the middle, the best way of eating is the low carb/paleo plans. Read Wheat Belly. It is an eye opener. Our bodies haven't mutated fast enough to keep up with the changes in wheat, etc due to hybridization and GMO all for $$$.

There are no essential carbs, but there are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids. Hmm, where do we get fat and amino acids? Eating fat and protein, however there are beneficial nutrients in rich color vegetables. I read book by a Type 1 Diabetic doctor who doesn't need to inject insulin because he has avoided all high glycemic carbs. At the time of writing, he said he hadn't had fruit in 40 years!

If you are hungry all the time, you aren't eating enough. My appetite has actually gone down. The first 2-3 days you will feel the sugar hangover. If you are tired all the time, you aren't eating enough. After about 2 weeks, cravings are gone and you feel so much better.

Reactions: wildcatadam6
I munch on peanuts and sunflower kernels. Also slim jims and full fat cheese sticks. Wait about 2 months for a cheat meal or you will go back to having food in control of you with cravings.

Also reduced to one Diet Dew/day so I drink mostly water. Cookbooks by George Stella are good.

The paleo BS is where I depart from the rest of the low carb weirdos. The idea of a "paleo" diet is so ridiculous it deserves mockery. There is no way a modern human could come close to approximating a non-modified food diet, in the first place. That, of course, leaves out the fact that grains and the domestication and modification of other crops are what helped propel humanity to its current state. Does that mean a high carb diet is healthier than a low carb diet? No, but the idea that we can't even process modern carbs is laughable.

The paleo BS is where I depart from the rest of the low carb weirdos. The idea of a "paleo" diet is so ridiculous it deserves mockery. There is no way a modern human could come close to approximating a non-modified food diet, in the first place. That, of course, leaves out the fact that grains and the domestication and modification of other crops are what helped propel humanity to its current state. Does that mean a high carb diet is healthier than a low carb diet? No, but the idea that we can't even process modern carbs is laughable.
I eat whole foods 90% of the time, and could easily do it the other 10 if I weren't carb back loading for hypertrophy goals.

Humans are humans because of *not* eating grains/legumes/processed foods, etc. For the entirety of human history, our diet resembled an ancestral diet for all but the last few thousand years. To illustrate it...if a football field represented human history, our diet started including grains on about the one yard line, and processed seed/vegetable oils at about the 6 inch line.

We have the brains we have because we ate fat, organs, brains, etc. Smaller teeth (incisors and cuspids) allowed for more room in the jaw for brain development, etc.

No one is saying modern humans can't survive on or process "modern" carbs, just that it isn't optimal and is leading to diseases not seen on this scale in history until the last several generations.

Our bodies have a limit on sugar/carbs intake and processing. Never used to be a problem when fruits were the only way to get them. They came with a fiber bolus, were only available at certain times, and would have been impossible to consume in amounts that can be had now with just a couple cokes and a bag of m&ms.

Lots of research out there.

Last edited:
Yes, and lots of research that says it's borderline impossible to know the makeup of organisms that went extinct 10s of thousands of years ago. Processed foods are a different matter entirely, but strictly speaking from a macronutrient prospective there are many problems with a paleo diet. Mainly that trying to determine the macro breakdown of extinct plants is spotty at best. Then there is the fact that paleo humans absolutely consumed grains and legumes and especially tubers. Not to the extent that modern humans do, but again, that is argument of scale; not an argument against the foods themselves. Also, we are talking about the entire global population as if they had a unified diet. Inuits were eating a hell of a lot more protein than people living on the Steppe.

We have also changed since the beginning of agriculture. We have adapted and thrived since beginning to use agriculture (smaller teeth and heads as one example), the idea that our bodies have stopped evolving is ludicrous.

And many of the diseases we are seeing now can more reasonably linked to the EXCESS of these foods and a sedentary lifestyle, more so than the foods themselves. Cancer, for example, is commonly a disease of age. Since we live twice as long as paleolithic humans (thanks almost entirely to the domestication of cereal grains), we are going to see far more cancer cases. Diabetes is due to excesses of "modern" foods, but that is a different problem that simply eating them.

Eating fewer processed foods and sugars will generally make you a healthier person. Attempting to mimic a diet from 10s of thousands of years ago that relies on heavy inferences and romanticizing is not a reasonable approach IMO.

Reactions: Mossip
Transy, don't overthink this. Processing removes fiber. That fiber slows down how quickly carbs can be absorbed. Take an apple. Eat it raw and you will get fewer carbs than if you take the same apple and process it into apple juice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT