ADVERTISEMENT

Love to see #CWS get new blue bench back seats over the next couple of years !

WILDCAT_NATION#8

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 5, 2011
theres-a-lot-of-blue-going-in-to-the-new-commonwealth-stadium
Just seeing how much the blue bench backs make the stadium pop and stand out make me want the whole stadium to get the upgrade. Not to mention the comfort level it will bring for the fans. I wonder how much money it would take to upgrade the rest of the stadium with them ? I hope that just like us fans talking up wanting the blue end zones that we stay on the admin about upgrading all the seats in the stadium to blue bench backs it could happen in the next two seasons. Shouldn't cost that much in my opinion. What do you guys think about it ?

Last edited:
The current light seats get real hot on the north side in Aug/Sept day games.

Just seeing how much the blue bench backs make the stadium pop and stand out make me want the whole stadium to get the upgrade. Not to mention the comfort level it will bring for the fans. I wonder how much money it would take to upgrade the rest of the stadium with them ? I hope that just like us fans talking up wanting the blue end zones that we stay on the admin about upgrading all the seats in the stadium to blue bench backs it could happen in the next two seasons. Shouldn't cost that much in my opinion. What do you guys think about it ?
What section are your seats, WN8? While I like the additional blue they bring to the stadium, I'm glad my section won't have them. I tend to get excited and jump around a bit during a game. Bench backs are a risk.

MN...my son and I have been talking about this for quite some time and how awesome it would look...it surely couldn't cost over $100 per seat and I'd be more than willing to pay a one time fee to have it done...

MN...my son and I have been talking about this for quite some time and how awesome it would look...it surely couldn't cost over $100 per seat and I'd be more than willing to pay a one time fee to have it done...
I have had seats in a section where the K-Fund donation has been $250 per seat (think/pretty sure)... No more than an aisle across from me those fans pay $100 per seat.... Each season the wife and I invested in "wildcat setbacks"... Thinking those were $75 per seat per season... Along comes stadium changes and everyone having to pick a new seat... Seats in the same section I was in were going to the "bleacher back" seats and their cost was going to be $300 per seat... It was a no brainer for us....The downside to any bleacher seating is that the 18 inches of space you pay for can be quickly swallowed up by the 24 inches of ass that occupies seating on either side of you:)... I'm not going to go there (today)... But the net result is.... If the stadium is ever fitted with bleacher back seating for all seat then you can bet your ass, thick or thin, that you'll be paying at least $50 more for you tickets/seats each and every year... The old removable Wildcat Seatbacks preserved your space, for the most part... The new bleacher back seating does nothing to preserve your 18 inches but it does provide some back relief....

For the last several years I have had the privilege of sitting beside some really big people. To their defense they were super nice people couldn't ask for better neighbors. I'm 6'1 215 and I had to choose wisely who went with me to the games.

The paid seat backs from UK did help some but I have always liked the individual molded seating at other stadiums. But for the people that are bigger there is no way they could fit into seats like at papa johns stadium.
God I hope my new seats this year I have a little more room

While they may look nice, if they are like the backs they put on the bleachers at Old Cardinal Stadium at the Fairgrounds, it will be tight and painfull on your knees. It would be nice to see all the bleacher seats replaced with actual chair backs. Of course that would further decrease capacity.

While they may look nice, if they are like the backs they put on the bleachers at Old Cardinal Stadium at the Fairgrounds, it will be tight and painfull on your knees. It would be nice to see all the bleacher seats replaced with actual chair backs. Of course that would further decrease capacity.
Ya know...I really had high hopes they were heading in that direction... But that's not likely to ever happen... With ticket prices rising don't you think there's a point where the fan says... "Screw this. I want a real seat for my money?"...

Ya know...I really had high hopes they were heading in that direction... But that's not likely to ever happen... With ticket prices rising don't you think there's a point where the fan says... "Screw this. I want a real seat for my money?"...
I think the problem is more and more fans are insisting on that comfortable seat for free in front of their 60 inch HDTV.No hassles,no parking issues,no bathroom lines, no concession lines, no blocking of replays of controversial plays, No guy in a red hat making you swelter or freeze delaying play so they can sell more commercials, no screwing up your schedule because you don't know the game time until 12 days in advance, ability to switch to other games, no ticket costs, no K Fund assessment, time for your kid's morning soccer game,no travel time to and from game.

Frankly it is a wonder that many (like me) still do it. I think the crowd that mostly buys the tickets today is much older now than it was twenty to thirty years ago and young people today just won't put up with the fan unfriendly NCAA. They are use to the best customer service from entities like WDW, other theme parks, stadium seating movie theaters, even little league baseball facilities . I really see less attendance as those of us who haves supported the program in the past die off. It is just not the culture of the young crowd.

Their kids have many other activities . I would rather attend fall baseball and watch my grandson but only tailgate out of habit and the fact it is a social event for our group of twelve who have done it for thirty plus years.

Not gonna happen.

I think the problem is more and more fans are insisting on that comfortable seat for free in front of their 60 inch HDTV.No hassles,no parking issues,no bathroom lines, no concession lines, no blocking of replays of controversial plays, No guy in a red hat making you swelter or freeze delaying play so they can sell more commercials, no screwing up your schedule because you don't know the game time until 12 days in advance, ability to switch to other games, no ticket costs, no K Fund assessment, time for your kid's morning soccer game,no travel time to and from game.

Frankly it is a wonder that many (like me) still do it. I think the crowd that mostly buys the tickets today is much older now than it was twenty to thirty years ago and young people today just won't put up with the fan unfriendly NCAA. They are use to the best customer service from entities like WDW, other theme parks, stadium seating movie theaters, even little league baseball facilities . I really see less attendance as those of us who haves supported the program in the past die off. It is just not the culture of the young crowd.

Their kids have many other activities . I would rather attend fall baseball and watch my grandson but only tailgate out of habit and the fact it is a social event for our group of twelve who have done it for thirty plus years.
I really do like live sport... Your post really speaks to me... The games sure have gotten stretched out as the TV fan seems to have trumped the guy in the seat...

My seats are in the end zone. I know there is plenty of space there for seat backs to be put on the seats there. I have sat on the sidelines a few times. I am 6'4" and 260 lbs. I was crammed in the sideline seats trying my best to not ram my knees into the backs of the people in front of me. I hate to think how little room I would have now on the sidelines. I would be upsetting people by standing the whole game because there would not be enough room for me to sit.

Not going to happen because it devalues the seating that people are paying a premium to have already. Some people are paying a good bit more to be one row closer or one seat closer to the middle because those seats have backs. They would be forced to either increase all kfund requirements or decrease others.
Personally I've sat on bleachers without seatbacks in CWS since it opened...I'll survive without them and prefer not to have one since I stand in my seat and don't want something I might fall over.

The only stadium I know of that has individual seats throughout is Louisville. I don't know of anyone else that has them. I don't think you'll ever get to a point where they are the norm in college football.

The only stadium I know of that has individual seats throughout is Louisville. I don't know of anyone else that has them. I don't think you'll ever get to a point where they are the norm in college football.
Nor should they be. Seven games a year . 4 hours a game. Not a good investment.

Besides the seats you carry with you are just too good an option. For forty or fifty bucks you can be set for life and use them at other events like high school football and traveling baseball. The ones we have are more comfortable than the wooden seats I sat in at the Great American Ball Park yesterday.

Nor should they be. Seven games a year . 4 hours a game. Not a good investment.

Besides the seats you carry with you are just too good an option. For forty or fifty bucks you can be set for life and use them at other events like high school football and traveling baseball. The ones we have are more comfortable than the wooden seats I sat in at the Great American Ball Park yesterday.
loucatfan ... put out the brand and other buying info... not all are the same I'm thinking... I will be in bleacher backs for the first time this season. I used Wildcat Seatbacks in the past and they were fine... Issue with them is that they're are unprotected and can be like sitting atop a sponge . If I don't like the new bleacher backs I might move and save money in the process...

Robo,
We got ours from" the stadiumchair company." Just google it and you will see what they have.

My daughter in law first bought two for traveling baseball. My wife and I thought it was much more comfortable than the ones you order from the UK vendor . So we bought two more and love them. Use them 50 to sixty times a year. Be sure and get the smaller on which is 17 inches in width. I know that is OK at UK . The larger one which is 20 inches may or may not be. I suspect it is not but if you feel you need one that wide I would check with UK first. Cost is about $45 plus tax.

Lou

Reactions: robo222
Why the hell cant they put real chairs in there, id rather them do that thN all these fancy amenities that dont amount to a hill of beans to the common fan. U of L has them, why cant we, and if it takes away capacity, well there is plenty of room to expand and even that up.

Why the hell cant they put real chairs in there, id rather them do that thN all these fancy amenities that dont amount to a hill of beans to the common fan. U of L has them, why cant we, and if it takes away capacity, well there is plenty of room to expand and even that up.

Get this whiny shit outta here. I'd rather have a phenomenal, renovated stadium than a run down stadium with the only thing glorifying it being chairs. What do you think the players would rather play in? Overhauled stadium, or same ol' thing, but with seats and not bleachers?

There may be a day when most stadiums have individual seating like NFL stadiums have, but about everyone in college football and especially in the SEC have bleachers. Who really cares. There are 7-8 games a year and then the place is empty. Would rather have them spend the money on player facilities like the new training complex being built. The new bench backs look good and will serve their purpose. I do think the entire stadium needs to have them though.

I was told I had bench backs when I got my new seats, but looking at the section yesterday, I have the same bleacher seats. Bench backs are the next section over from me. Guess I will order the seatbacks again.

I was told I had bench backs when I got my new seats, but looking at the section yesterday, I have the same bleacher seats. Bench backs are the next section over from me. Guess I will order the seatbacks again.

They are installing benchbacks in every single section that they originally planned to this year. No changes. The linked map indicates the planned sections with the benchbacks. http://www.thenewcws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Commonwealth_082214.pdf

Between seating and parking, you're really unhappy with the changes, aren't you Gridcats?

No, not unhappy with the changes at all. I'm just disappointed that because I really thought going in I had enough points with the bonus to get much more than what I ended up with. I was naïve enough to think I could get Club seating or one of the sections next to them. I thought with so many people dropping out in the lean years that I would have an edge, but didn't happen. I'll take what I can get and enjoy being there.

I had to wait until I retired to get season tickets because of my work on Saturdays, so I got a late start building up points. I attended games when I could though.

No, not unhappy with the changes at all. I'm just disappointed that because I really thought going in I had enough points with the bonus to get much more than what I ended up with. I was naïve enough to think I could get Club seating or one of the sections next to them. I thought with so many people dropping out in the lean years that I would have an edge, but didn't happen. I'll take what I can get and enjoy being there.

I had to wait until I retired to get season tickets because of my work on Saturdays, so I got a late start building up points. I attended games when I could though.

Grid, I think if you just give it a chance, it will be great! Also, as I explained in the Parking Pass thread, there will be people who reserved club/benchback seating that will not take them when they have to pay. Call the ticket office and let them know you would be interested in any tickets that become available.

Finally, continue to accumulate K-Fund points. As I also explained in the Parking Pass thread, this can be done relatively inexpensively - 110% Club, Big Blue Initiative, tickets to non-revenue sports, joining the Alumni Association, etc. Tickets in the "better sections" will become available over time - get your K-Fund points up and jump on them when they open up.

I've been buying the best seats available to me. Right now it seems no seats are available on the South side. Seems everyone took what they selected. Considering I got a late start and it has taken a few years, I'm doing okay. Have to admit it was a downer when my time came to select though and yesterday was a hit too when I saw the seating I have.

I enjoy game day and everything that goes with it. Looking forward to seeing the changes. :smiley:

I've been buying the best seats available to me. Right now it seems no seats are available on the South side. Seems everyone took what they selected. Considering I got a late start and it has taken a few years, I'm doing okay. Have to admit it was a downer when my time came to select though and yesterday was a hit too when I saw the seating I have.

I enjoy game day and everything that goes with it. Looking forward to seeing the changes. :smiley:

I'm sure they are giving people every chance to pay before they "release" those seats. Call the Ticket Office - I think it will be worth your time, and they (now) bend over backwards to help season ticket holders out.

I just don't get the love affair with wanting seats throughout the stadium. They are expensive and will further diminish seating capacity. Not to mention I'm standing up most of the game anyways. The only useful thing about them is the cup holder really.

If you're so lazy that you have to have a nice cozy chair so you can sit down the entire game, maybe you should just sit at home in your lazyboy with air conditioning

Finally, continue to accumulate K-Fund points. As I also explained in the Parking Pass thread, this can be done relatively inexpensively - 110% Club, Big Blue Initiative, tickets to non-revenue sports, joining the Alumni Association, etc. Tickets in the "better sections" will become available over time - get your K-Fund points up and jump on them when they open up.

DA makes an excellent point here. You can buy a pair of baseball ($70/pair), women’s basketball ($130/pair), gymnastics ($30/pair), softball ($70/pair), soccer ($60/pair) or volleyball ($70/pair) and/or 110% club ($110) all for 5 pts each. Buy them and donate them if you don't want to use them. For $540 you can get 35 pts/year. If you donated $540 cash you would only receive 15 pts. Hell, for $90 you can add 10 pts a year to your total.

You receive 1 K-Fund point for buying season football or basketball tickets plus 2 pts for every $100 of required K-Fund giving to get those tickets.
If you want to climb up the K-Fund priority chart, you're much better to spend your money on those things before you go dipping into your wallet for fat checks.

Question on the season tickets. My uncle has been a season ticket holder for about 20 years and I started getting a couple seats with him a couple years ago. When the day comes that he's no longer interested in going are his seats transferable to me? It's my assumption that the seats are transferable one generation like I've heard they are in Rupp. I've wondered since I'm not building KFund points for myself if I'll have to go to the nosebleeds when the day comes

Question on the season tickets. My uncle has been a season ticket holder for about 20 years and I started getting a couple seats with him a couple years ago. When the day comes that he's no longer interested in going are his seats transferable to me? It's my assumption that the seats are transferable one generation like I've heard they are in Rupp. I've wondered since I'm not building KFund points for myself if I'll have to go to the nosebleeds when the day comes
Yes, they can xfer the seats...no, the KFund pts do not get passed along. (Personal experience)

Bad for me I didn't have this info back when I started buying season tickets. I thought the K Fund tickets would do it. I certainly don't need the other tickets, but the price is right for the benefits I might get. Oh well, go with what I get. Getting in late didn't help either.

I just don't get the love affair with wanting seats throughout the stadium. They are expensive and will further diminish seating capacity. Not to mention I'm standing up most of the game anyways. The only useful thing about them is the cup holder really.

If you're so lazy that you have to have a nice cozy chair so you can sit down the entire game, maybe you should just sit at home in your lazyboy with air conditioning

+1

Well guys when you're young its not an issue to have a seat. But one day you will be glad to set down. Go long enough and you will see, or ask your Dad or Grandfather how it feels. We paid our dues working for retirement and getting to do the things we couldn't do, and now we should set on the couch and watch the games?

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Well guys when you're young its not an issue to have a seat. But one day you will be glad to set down. Go long enough and you will see, or ask your Dad or Grandfather how it feels. We paid our dues working for retirement and getting to do the things we couldn't do, and now we should set on the couch and watch the games?
No, but why do you deserve a better seat than the one my father sat in who regularly attended games into his 80's?

Didn't say I deserve a better seat. Said I was satisfied with what I have. But willing to pay for a better location. The ONLY reason for that is more people are setting and it's not an issue with the people around me. I stand when the play calls for it, but no reason otherwise.

You can call me out if it makes you feel better. But I've not been getting season tickets long enough to have an option and its ok with me.

Define "young."

ADVERTISEMENT