Briscoe 5*
Ullis 5*
Poy 5* sr
Lee 5*
Skal 5*
Willis 4* jr
Hawkins 3* jr
Mathews 4*

We add 2 more solid players and Pass LSU for # 1 class and we are title contenders again.. Diallo/Maker, Mulder, Brown, Murray. Get 2 of those plug them in we are back to 8-9 deep. Lets take a deep breath we have Cal he will get it done. Forgive me for not being to concerned about recruiting.

With your list of who we have now can you please make an assumption on their ppg?

We would have been more than excited to have this team under the two previous coaches. I believe we can make plenty of noise with the players we have now.

Yes, but are they a national title contender like Mississippi State? I can't believe I made it through that keeping a straight face.

We really need another big and scorer.We would be really thin.

Skal will be one of the best bigs next year. He is going to have a big time year and be a top 3 pick. Briscoe will be the player we go to when we need a bucket in half court or without running offense. He can get anywhere he wants with his handle and has a high b-ball IQ and will know how to draw fouls. I see Deron Williams 2.0. Ulis will get easy baskets for everyone in transition and everyone will play defense. This team is going to run teams out of the gym as opposed to the grind out it/D style we had this year. That's a team that will be in contention once again next year.

Labissiere, Briscoe, Poythress, and Ulis will be double digit scorers. Matthews and Lee are probably just under double digits (7-8ppg range). Those are our six regular scorers if we don't add another player.

We add Mulder and he probably scores just under double digits as well.

Murray steps in and is probably our second leading scorer behind Labissiere.

So 4 or 5 double digit scorers. Not as much balance as last year. More like the other seasons under Cal.

With your list of who we have now can you please make an assumption on their ppg?
ulis 8ppg
briscoe 12ppg
hawkins 3ppg
matthews 4ppg
mulder 6ppg
willis 3ppg
poyhtress 10ppg
lee 6ppg
skal 15ppg

about 67ppg plus whoever left we get. those are numbers i see for the sec. could be inflated ooc.

I believe Willis was a 4* at one point until he was injured but I could be mistaken.

I believe Willis was a 4* at one point until he was injured but I could be mistaken.

Willis was a 4* but dropped in the final rankings (at least I think it was the final rankings) due to a disappointing senior season.

Personally I think he's a 4* level talent, he just needs to put forth the effort to prove it. He could prove to be a really valuable role player for us this coming season if everything goes right for him and depending on how the finish of this recruiting period goes. He is going to have to get stronger, improve his defense, and prove to the coaches in practice that he deserves to get some quality minutes in real games.

Maybe but its not good enough. we have to get Murray no matter what. We have to have a big time scoring guard.

And everybody needs to forget about Willis ever doing anything but mop up minutes. Hawkins has the ability to be a nice role player and maybe even more, but not Willis.

I posted a link in another thread the other day if somebody wants to go look for it but I'm not. But Willis at one time was ranked 23rd in the nation. It was at this time that he had decommitted from Purdue and was entertaining offers from IU and UL. Fans were going bezerk about letting such a highly rated player in state go any place else but UK.

Now what's debateable is if he has had plenty of playing time, if he is putting forth effort to get better, or whatever else could be going on with him.
My opinion is that if he had gone someplace else like Wisconsin we would be talking about how Cal let him slip out the back door. Lol ya I went their. ;)

ulis 8ppg
briscoe 12ppg
hawkins 3ppg
matthews 4ppg
mulder 6ppg
willis 3ppg
poyhtress 10ppg
lee 6ppg
skal 15ppg

about 67ppg plus whoever left we get. those are numbers i see for the sec. could be inflated ooc.

About what I would be expecting as well, nice talented defensive team but a very streaky squad on offense. Could score 80 one night and barely get 50 the next outing.

And everybody needs to forget about Willis ever doing anything but mop up minutes. Hawkins has the ability to be a nice role player and maybe even more, but not Willis.
You're kidding me right? Hawkins is a GREAT athlete and good defensively but he is horrible on offense. You can't teach offense. Willis is actually very skilled on offense, a good shooter, and has quick feet. If Willis could bulk up some and work on being more aggressive he could make an NBA team. Granted he would get as much playing time as Harrelson and Miller but he could get drafted if its a week draft class and he has a break out year. Hawkins has ZERO chance of making an NBA team. Hawkins career % is 29%-fg, 19%-3pt, and 40%-ft.

About what I would be expecting as well, nice talented defensive team but a very streaky squad on offense. Could score 80 one night and barely get 50 the next outing.
hopefully we won't give up 50. i think we have a good combination of quickness and length to lead the nation in defensive categories again. whether we're dominant or not frankly depends on lee and poythress. lee being tough inside, and poy being full strength. we're still going to block a lot of shots.

if we get murray, diallo or both our scoring will go up, if not expect matthews to maybe go up to 6ppg from extra pt. or maybe mulder will be near dble figures. so about 70+ either way and 75-77 if we pick up another stud imo.

That team is more than capable of making the final four. They are better than a bunch of past final four teams. Coming to mind is last year's Michigan state team, the UConn championship team, the other UConn championship team, both Butler runner up teams, and I could go on. The point is after UK adds Mulder they are top ten and a final four contender.

I think a LOT of fans are really sleeping on Charles Matthews!!

No one on this board seems to ever really mention him his name and I think he's being overlooked much like Booker was coming into last season.

The kid is 6'6", can ball and can stroke it from midrange and the perimeter. He's very underrated imo.

Wish we could go by the stars. If those stars was a measure of their heart, will and competitiveness we would be fine.

Briscoe looked to have the heart, will, and competitiveness in the Jordan Brand game. If he plays with that kind of tenacity every game he will live up to his "stars."

We know Ulis has plenty of heart.

Hopefully those two lead by example and inspire the other guys.

i wouldn't be surprised if matthews got a lot of the shots that booker got and scored a lot for us. the difference of course is matthews didn't get to play behind and with aaron who everyone keyed on early last year. matthews reminds me a little of da. that's high praise my friend but with good development he will be a special wildcat. not da, but good.

Briscoe looked to have the heart, will, and competitiveness in the Jordan Brand game. If he plays with that kind of tenacity every game he will live up to his "stars."

We know Ulis has plenty of heart.

Hopefully those two lead by example and inspire the other guys.
Totally agree. Briscoe's toughness, competitiveness and drive looks to be at the highest level. One of the very most physical guards I can remember for us. The kind that can win a championship if the right parts are around him. little Ulis has enough of that also, won't have to worry about him either. He will do his work consistently. Skal looked like he may have some of that stuff also.

Fans really need to take the blue tinted glasses off and keep their expectations in check.

Mulder and Matthews for a few years will be fun to watch as well.

Cal can recruit the next class by telling him precisely who is gone. I think the "we're losing 5 or 6" line in 2013 hurt them with the current class because four or five guys returned, making the current class a bit sheepish with UK.

Now he knows Poythress and Skal are definitely going to be gone and that we still need some dynamic wing players. He can recruit accordingly.

Fans really need to take the blue tinted glasses off and keep their expectations in check.

Some people need to stop looking at this as a problem, because it isn't. Our team is loaded next year. If this board didn't spend 150 days overrating last year team, they wouldn't have such a problem understanding next years team.

Reactions: bigc45157
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT