ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's and Athlon not expecting much out of Kentucky

boom avg 6.6 ypc and 16.2 y/rec. jojo avg 4.6 ypc. mikel avg 5.2. wildes avg 5.4. the guy at vandy avg 4.3 and 300 of his 900 yards on the year came against old dominion and massachusettes. hansbrough at missouri was really good at times and i thought he had graduated so that was my mistake but he only avg 5.3 and did nothing against us and we had a hard time stopping really good backs.

jojo got in either stoops or browns dog house after a pouting session on the sideline during a game and he appears to be back in the good and has added about 10#. mikel did run upright too much last year but has lost about 15 to 20 pounds since last year and has added some flexibility in his hips.

i think my problem with rating us last is that if our o-line is that much worse then these other teams... then how did our rb's avg more ypc then other teams rb's? i do agree it is subjective but i believe the guy that did our analysis never actually watched film on us or did any snooping around spring practice. he just looked up yards coming back and said "well they stink but that boom guy may be good" and that was that. now this guy gets paid money to make predictions about teams and positions groups and thats why i say i hope he is held accountable. if at the end of the year we look like the worst rb group in the sec i'll come back and admit i got it wrong but i think we'll end up being in the 10 to 12 range once it all plays out (depending on injuries which can ruin any group sometimes). but i quit buying those rags years ago cause unless you are contending for a title that year the analysis is pretty week and i would agree that phil steele is probably the best of the rags.

I wasn't saying Boom wasn't a good back or a better back than either of those guys, he is a very good back, but those other guys are pretty good too, in fact everyone in the SEC has a pretty good back or in some cases more than 1 pretty good back. Newton looked good too, but I guess those fumbles you mentioned he lost the trust of the staff for a while. All me or anyone else has outside of the UK fanbase has to go on with the other kid is what he showed last year, which was not a good showing for a RB, more of a fullback type, losing that weight should improve him. But like I said, I don't think UK's RBs are at the bottom of the conference, I don't think they are at the top either. Somewhere between 5 and 9, I don't think Towles is at number 6 either, no worse than 4 and I will be surprised if he doesn't finish higher than that, I expect Dak's production to really drop this season.

The comments from those magazines are not surprising at all.

What is very surprising to me is that people actually buy magazines anymore.

Reactions: brianpoe
It's pretty simple IMO. Win football games and it will shut them up. Go 2-8 or 1-7 in SEC again and pretty much what they wrote will be spot on.

The only thing that bothered me is the anonymous coach running his mouth. If as a coach you want to say something negative about a school then put your name to it or keep your mouth shut. It's a coward move.

Erik is right on.

If you were publishing for a national magazine, and not just a UK fan you could not help but state the obvious:

No Conference wins on the road since 2009

UT and Florida - ALA ("Automatic Losses Annually")
Georgia - one win in Athens since 1977 - loss
Auburn - one win since 1961 - loss
Miss State - lost 6 in a row
UL - lost 4 in a row
Mizzou - lost 3 in a row (handily), and they are 2 time defending SEC East Champs
USC - one win in Columbia since 1995, and that was over a 0-11 team

Now, things change, and I hope for better days ahead, and maybe we can pick one or two of those teams off, but how would you rank Kentucky in the SEC and write the story if you were being paid to do so?

If you were publishing for a national magazine, and not just a UK fan you could not help but state the obvious:

No Conference wins on the road since 2009

UT and Florida - ALA ("Automatic Losses Annually")
Georgia - one win in Athens since 1977 - loss
Auburn - one win since 1961 - loss
Miss State - lost 6 in a row
UL - lost 4 in a row
Mizzou - lost 3 in a row (handily), and they are 2 time defending SEC East Champs
USC - one win in Columbia since 1995, and that was over a 0-11 team

Now, things change, and I hope for better days ahead, and maybe we can pick one or two of those teams off, but how would you rank Kentucky in the SEC and write the story if you were being paid to do so?

That is some bitter reality Tommy. And we have lived it for a long time.

I don't see a definite bowl game this year and I am ok with it as long as the young guys improve.

Next year is the year I'd like to see a big jump

The games we feel like we have a real fighting chance are away:

USCjr
MSU
Vandy

We have two competitive ones at home:

UL
Mizzou

We have to:

Win the 3 we are favored in, the two tough ones at home, and an away game.

Doubt Spurrier will lose at home to us.
MSU is tough at home.
Have to beat Vandy.

UL and Mizzou will both be battles.

Last edited:
The comments from those magazines are not surprising at all.

What is very surprising to me is that people actually buy magazines anymore.

The comments from the magazine are in line with UK's present situation. We are at the bottom of the SEC with Vandy and haven't proven we belong any higher yet.....

Sorry you hate reality so much.

Kentucky hasn't had an above .500 SEC record since Jimmy Carter was President. Point being, nobody is going to give Kentucky football any respect until they earn in.

I know the "basketball school" label irritates football guys like me, but again, until the football team does something to change it, we'll keep getting the same old stuff.

Another factor, IMO, is that some of these writers can be a little lazy when previewing Kentucky. I'm not saying they were in this instance, but UK football is an afterthought nationally. They could probably cut and paste any preview from the last 10 years, change the names, and they're done.

GBB!!!

UK has to win games. Simple way to earn respect

Hard to argue though...
Lindy’s also rated the SEC’s position groups by team. They ranked Boom Williams, Mikel Horton, and Jojo Kemp as being the worst group of running backs in the entire SEC. They say Kentucky has the worst defensive line in the SEC; the second-worst linebackers in the SEC, and the third-worst offensive line and wide-receivers in the SEC.

I agree with the Dline and LBs rankings, but our RBs are better than Miss State, South Carolina, and Vandy at the very least.

No one should be surprised by this we win 1-2 SEC games a year and that's pathetic. Yes everyone is excited about Stoops but both the past two season we have faded hardcore against real competition. We blow a golden opportunity last season with beating USCjr and having a chance to beat Florida but then we couldn't close and win one more game. You cant not beat a team once in every 30 years and expect anything. You have to win some SEC game period.

I agree with the Dline and LBs rankings, but our RBs are better than Miss State, South Carolina, and Vandy at the very least.

Vandy has a 1000 yd rusher returning.

USCjr has Wilds and Williams retruning.

Not sure how we can make that statement without knowing the other team's kids and their potential.

Hope Boom stays healthy, Kemp stays out of the doghouse, and Horton stops running straight up, Eric Dickerson he is not.

I agree with all the comments. UK has been historically bad since the dawn of the SEC. Yes, there have been occasional blips of success usually followed by probation. SEC football got serious about winning and establishing their traditions a very long time ago. UK sputtered along for many years until Paul Bryant was coach. Everyone knows what happened since. Fast forward to today and UK (along with the crumbling infrastructure of the campus) and is "all in" from academics to sports. This is great for our state in every way. Unfortunately, developing a winning college football program in the SEC takes time, patience and hope. If Vandy can do it, by golly there is no reason why UK cannot succeed as well.

Reactions: brianpoe
Kentucky hasn't had an above .500 SEC record since Jimmy Carter was President. Point being, nobody is going to give Kentucky football any respect until they earn in.

I know the "basketball school" label irritates football guys like me, but again, until the football team does something to change it, we'll keep getting the same old stuff.

Another factor, IMO, is that some of these writers can be a little lazy when previewing Kentucky. I'm not saying they were in this instance, but UK football is an afterthought nationally. They could probably cut and paste any preview from the last 10 years, change the names, and they're done.

GBB!!!

I think that there is always a delayed recruiting analysis effect with mags and writers! With all the good recruits UK has been getting I don't believe them. Wins will start showing up for UK...it just has too!

A preview really should not be a historical analysis. Rather, it should look at the current iteration and make a prediction for the yet-to-be-played season. But, many of these mags just rehash what was, because learning what is around the corner is too laborious. Playing a percentage game, they get more right than wrong, but they often miss the unexpected upturns and downturns.

Reactions: Levibooty and RV2
A preview really should not be a historical analysis. Rather, it should look at the current iteration and make a prediction for the yet-to-be-played season. But, many of these mags just rehash what was, because learning what is around the corner is too laborious. Playing a percentage game, they get more right than wrong, but they often miss the unexpected upturns and downturns.

That is true as well. Who picked the KC Royals to be in the 7th game of the WS last year after missing the playoffs for 28 years? And this season, they are proving it was not a fluke.

Which is why we all keep watching the games. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I hope that coach Stoops is making these magazines required reading material for the team this summer. Love to see it light a fire under these guys. The talent is there for us to not be the worst at any position group. I don;t think we will be the best in any group. But we should be middle of the pack. I think our DL and LB will surprise teams this year. Same with our RB.

It's about Jimmy's and Joe's and we don't have any standout studs as of right now, nor do we have any unit that is exceptional (ie; offense line, secondary, etc.)

Here is the info these writer's have:

Zero projected pre-season All SEC 1st or 2nd teamers

By position our only ranked players:

Towles #6
Boom #8
Conrad #10
Offensive Line #12

Projected to finish next to last in the SEC unanimously.

10 SEC teams projected top 28.

Lost two of our best players to the NFL.

We have won two SEC games total in 3 years.

Not sure what folk expect to read?

Last edited:
It's about Jimmy's and Joe's and we don't have any standout studs as of right now, nor do we have any unit that is exceptional (ie; offense line, secondary, etc.)

Here is the info these writer's have:

Zero projected pre-season All SEC 1st or 2nd teamers

By position our only ranked players:

Towels #6
Boom #8
Conrad #10
Offensive Line #12

Projected to finish next to last in the SEC unanimously.

10 SEC teams projected top 28.

Lost two of our best players to the NFL.

We have won two SEC games total in 3 years.

Not sure what folk expect to read?

Thanks, you are one of the handful of posters who actually know what they're talking about....99% of the posts on this thread are so far out of touch in regards to UK's talent level.

I can't believe I read another poster who said UK's talent level is "middle of the pack" in the SEC.

How can you make a statement like that and have any clue about UK football?

I'll never understand some of you guys who get mad at preseason predictions. A) They don't matter. B) We have been bad for so long that none of these rags bother to do much homework at all (save for the rare guy like Phil Steele). C) We have improved our recruiting but we're still way behind most of our SEC peers. Win some games and then we'll start seeing more respect. Simple as that.

That is true as well. Who picked the KC Royals to be in the 7th game of the WS last year after missing the playoffs for 28 years? And this season, they are proving it was not a fluke.

Which is why we all keep watching the games. :sunglasses:
Interesting analogy. The Kansas City Royals excelled primarily because of a series of shrewd new acquisitions on their pitching staff. No 1 knew how KC would gel until they actually had a chance to play some baseball games together. Kentucky's football team will be depending to a large extent on freshmen, sophomores, juco transfers, and a new offensive coordinator. No 1 knows how this team will gel, either. I would agree with those who say the media will not respect Kentucky's football team until Kentucky shows we can beat other SEC football teams besides Vanderbilt with some consistency. Fact is, many in the media are not as familiar with Kentucky's roster as your standard Kentucky Rivals poster. Once we win, that will change.

ADVERTISEMENT