ADVERTISEMENT

Lindy's and Athlon not expecting much out of Kentucky

May 23, 2015
Both Lindy's and Athlon Sports had anonymous SEC coaches commenting about Kentucky, and they had some interesting comments. This is from Athlon:

“He could have used some players on the basketball team to really help his defense. They get a little talent-depleted against the upper-level of the SEC. Kentucky is one of those jobs where you’ve got to win the games you have a chance to win. They played Florida tough and lost late, but that was an average to below-average Florida team. They need to beat somebody that matters.”

"Stoops has done a better job recruiting–which is not easy to do at Kentucky. It’s kind of like David Cutcliffe at Duke. Kentucky and Duke are basketball schools."

Both magazines pick Kentucky to finish second from last in the SEC.

Link to article

Absolutely brutal assessments from those 2 rags. Don't read if you have thin skin. Fortunately, they are not very good at what they pretend to do. Wait for Steele; no picks but enough data to make some learned evaluations on your own.

Peace

Hard to argue though...

Truth:

“They have some nice-looking skill guys, but you still have to get it done up front in this league to win big.”

Ouch:

Lindy’s also rated the SEC’s position groups by team. They ranked Boom Williams, Mikel Horton, and Jojo Kemp as being the worst group of running backs in the entire SEC. They say Kentucky has the worst defensive line in the SEC; the second-worst linebackers in the SEC, and the third-worst offensive line and wide-receivers in the SEC.

Interesting:

The highest ranking for Kentucky came with the quarterback position and Patrick Towles, who was ranked 6th-best in the SEC.

Damnit:

They also note that after the late recruiting collapse to end the season, Kentucky was the only SEC team besides Vandy not to have a top-25 recruiting class (according to 247sports) this past season, ranking a whopping 14 spots below the next-closest SEC team (Mizzou, No. 25).

Lots to prove, I am not expecting a crazy win total. Steady improvement from the young guys. This will be a long process. Hopefully NJ and Ohio keep pumping out bunches of kids. Having late signing period massacres cannot continue.

Lol at any backfield with Boom Williams being worst in SEC, what a joke. Boom is more likely to rush for over a thousand than UK have a winning record IMO.

We gotta win against good teams that will go to a bowl. It's time for us to step up. Unless we beat good teams we should read this stuff.

Respect isn't handed to you

Kentucky hasn't had an above .500 SEC record since Jimmy Carter was President. Point being, nobody is going to give Kentucky football any respect until they earn in.

I know the "basketball school" label irritates football guys like me, but again, until the football team does something to change it, we'll keep getting the same old stuff.

Another factor, IMO, is that some of these writers can be a little lazy when previewing Kentucky. I'm not saying they were in this instance, but UK football is an afterthought nationally. They could probably cut and paste any preview from the last 10 years, change the names, and they're done.

GBB!!!

I agree UKErik. We want respect? We need to go out and gain respect. Like it or not the guy from up north on the Finebaum show was right last year when he said we had our chance to get respect at Florida and we couldn't come through. We have to beat some teams that matter. When we beat #1 LSU we got respect all across the country. We have win some games first. Mizzou showed how to get respect, stop the sniveling and start winning.

Nothing new about UK football from these two publications. Much truth that many sports writers and magazines only think UK basketball.
Think this fall CATS across the board will be much improved. Seven wins is doable!

We all are hoping the team is better than that. But on paper, against the average SEC team, this team will struggle mightily.

We will be playing many true freshmen against teams with stock piles of redshirted freshmen and sophomores. Our best rated red shirt is only sixth at his position and that may be a stretch. Our stars would most likely be buried in Bama, etc. depth charts

Stoops is going about his job the right way but every time a bottom feeding SEC team tries to climb out of a ditch the big boys knock them right back again.

Maybe with a couple more good recruiting years we'll have enough stocked up good players to get our heads out of the water but it probably won't be this year. Pity the coaches.

All we got is hope and hope in upper tier SEC football is fool's gold.

Sorry for the pessimism but upper level SEC football is a brutal animal and it hasn't changed over the years.

Reactions: BlueTick2
This is a bunch of crapt!!!! We all know this team better than these rags and we all can see the improvement in player quality, development, depth and coaching.

These rags are spewing the same hate they always do. This is the year for the perfect storm. We have one of the best stable of RBs in the nation, loaded at WR, finally a top TE and a stud QB who learned invaluable lessons last season and will apply those lessons to the field this year.

Our D-Line will be as good and that is counting we are losing 2 great players. Our LBs will be MUCH better and our DBs, white not all "elite", offer us much improvement and much more depth.

Overall, we are 10 points better on O and 7-10 points better on D. This is at least a 17 point swing per game. If these "writers" cant see this then they are as stupid as the paper they write on.

If I had to say, gun to head, I would say 7 wins and a bowl game at least and I am actually predicting, like many others, 8 wins and a bowl game this year.

It is the year of the CAT!!!!!

Reactions: UKphotoman
Lol at any backfield with Boom Williams being worst in SEC, what a joke. Boom is more likely to rush for over a thousand than UK have a winning record IMO.

Agreed. Saying UK has the worst back field is nothing short of stupid.

[/QUOTE]
We will be playing many true freshmen against teams with stock piles of redshirted freshmen and sophomores.

Care to name them? What I see is only one freshmen starting and that isn't a given:

Conrad - starter or 2
George AA - 2 deep
King - 4th back
Daniel - 50/50 to play or red shirt
maybe one of the 3 DBs plays to add depth

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Lindy's and Athelons panders to their audience which is the huge fan bases at the Bamas, LSUs and Georgias that buy up their ragas., OTOH Phil Steel's audience is primarily handicappers, so accuracy is paramount.

What these rags write really isn't important, they look at our history and label us losers without much of a look at what is being accomplished. But then it does stop there about our reality. In the end it's all about the play on the field and the wins. We have to backup our talk of improvement or like the rags say, it's just talk.

Last edited:
The only thing that matters is what happens on the field. The only draw back is the season is still close to 100 days away so until then we as a fanbase have to deal with the negativity from pre season media chatter.

Lindy's and Athelons panders to their audience which is the huge fan bases at the Bamas, LSUs and Georgias that buy up their ragas., OTOH Phil Steel's audience is primarily handicappers, so accuracy is paramount.

Re Lindy's/Athelon, very true. Bama fans, LSU, etc is where they make their money. By the same token UK has hardly given them anything to write about. Show improvement on the field and they'll eventually notice.

Damnit:

They also note that after the late recruiting collapse to end the season, Kentucky was the only SEC team besides Vandy not to have a top-25 recruiting class (according to 247sports) this past season, ranking a whopping 14 spots below the next-closest SEC team (Mizzou, No. 25).

I laugh when I hear/read thoughts like this.

Recruiting is an inexact science. There is plenty of proven science behind it, but it's far from perfect. So, there is an obvious difference between a class ranked #1st in the nation and one ranked #50th. However, due to the lack of accuracy that recruiting has, there isn't a lot of difference between a class ranked #15-20th and a class ranked #25-30th.

So, all of those who claim "but Kentucky's classes are still ranked 12th in the SEC" are just laughable. Granted there is a noticeable difference in classes between UK and Bama.......but there isn't a whole lot of difference between UK and the bottom half of the SEC.

This x1000 times regarding Lindy's and Athlon. Their "editors" can go do themselves as far as I am concerned. The only thing worth taking away from any of that garbage was the one coach's remark about line play.

Mostly, this whole season hinges on what the O-line (in particular) produces. Certainly both are important, but I really expect the D-line to take care of its business in at least a workmanlike manner.

Not so sure about what to expect of the O-line, though. I probably say this too much when posting, but IMHO, our biggest problem on offense AND defense the last two seasons has been the lack of a really productive offensive line unit. We simply must move the ball, retain possession, and score more regularly, regardless of opponent. If not scoring touchdowns, we must kick FG's (check, if within his NICE range) or at least consistent push the ball to midfield and run some clock doing it, even if putting some air under the ball. Our failures of offense have pretty consistently appeared to stem from failure up front.

Our offense has been absolutely PUTRID. I was not unhappy to see CNB leave, and if the O-line does not show better this season, I will not be unhappy to see Schlarman shown the door, even if a well-liked alum of the program. Seems we've had a few of those come and go lately.

At the end of the season, Boom was really starting to shine. 120 yards against UL. How many other RBs eclipse 120 against the Cards last year?

Hard to argue though...

Truth:

“They have some nice-looking skill guys, but you still have to get it done up front in this league to win big.”

Ouch:

Lindy’s also rated the SEC’s position groups by team. They ranked Boom Williams, Mikel Horton, and Jojo Kemp as being the worst group of running backs in the entire SEC. They say Kentucky has the worst defensive line in the SEC; the second-worst linebackers in the SEC, and the third-worst offensive line and wide-receivers in the SEC.

Interesting:

The highest ranking for Kentucky came with the quarterback position and Patrick Towles, who was ranked 6th-best in the SEC.

Damnit:

Lots to prove, I am not expecting a crazy win total. Steady improvement from the young guys. This will be a long process. Hopefully NJ and Ohio keep pumping out bunches of kids. Having late signing period massacres cannot continue.
i hope the guy who said we have the worst rb's in the league is held accountable for that prediction. our d-line will not be worst (i think somewhere around 10th is fair) and wr is no way gonna end up 3rd to last though i can see how it gets ranked there preseason.

The evaluation is kinda spot on except I think our receivers are much better than estimated. I think our receivers could be some of the best in the SEC.

No RB on UK's team has proven to be a great SEC RB except for Boom. So yes, we may have the worst RBs in the whole SEC. Remember, Boom has been injured before and that is a horrible possibility.

Next, UK's D-Line is nothing to scream about. We are not going to be much better after losing Smith and Dupree. Anyone thinking otherwise is dreaming. We can only hope that Elam and our DTs can clog the middle better than last season.

Linebackers should improve slightly with Flannigan and Forrest getting more experience. Besides that, please don't expect RS Freshmen to be stud LBs in the SEC. That is not going to happen.

Our O-Line is getting better because of recruiting, but it's still too early. Our talented O-Lineman are only RS Freshmen mostly.

I love our safeties, but CB is a big concern because of Joker's mess.

Reactions: brianpoe
Both Lindy's and Athlon Sports had anonymous SEC coaches commenting about Kentucky, and they had some interesting comments. This is from Athlon:

“He could have used some players on the basketball team to really help his defense. They get a little talent-depleted against the upper-level of the SEC. Kentucky is one of those jobs where you’ve got to win the games you have a chance to win. They played Florida tough and lost late, but that was an average to below-average Florida team. They need to beat somebody that matters.”

"Stoops has done a better job recruiting–which is not easy to do at Kentucky. It’s kind of like David Cutcliffe at Duke. Kentucky and Duke are basketball schools."

Both magazines pick Kentucky to finish second from last in the SEC.

Link to article

That's a pretty harsh evaluation. I haven't seen the magazines so I don't know how the rankings are except from the article linked here. I think Towles is higher than 6th in the conference, 1 or 2 in the East because Mauck has to be considered pretty good, in the West there is Dak, A&M returns a starter and the guy at Arky is pretty good and probably the top in the West. Dak gets quite a bit of credit but with practically an entire new offense this fall I think he will have a huge drop off in production.

The RB ranking has everyone up in arms but the thing they look at is production and RB didn't have huge production last year, those 3 had a little over 1100 yards. That isnt' their fault, good ypc but Towles had nearly twice the carries as the leading RB. I don't know exactly where UK's backfield would fall, but certainly not last. I think its better than Vandy's, USC's, MSST and Missouri's but behind UGA, Bama, Arky and LSU, so somewhere in the middle.

About the OL, its really hard to tell where they will fall, you return some experience but truth is they weren't very good last year and the new guys will be facing SEC DL for the first time other than practice.

Defensively they really took into account the loss of Z and Dupree, personally I didn't think UK LBs were bad last year, I thought they played decent considering they were constantly being harassed by OL. Now the DL is another story, I thought it was bad, no one had to be doubled which is what made the LB group look suspect. Has Elam gotten in shape and learned some technique which will force double teams? Or maybe someone else, doesn't have to be him, but the DL has to demand double teams for LB too look good, otherwise they are fighing off 300+lb men while trying to get a 225+ man on the ground.

Secondary depends on pressure you can get on the qb, given enough time any decent athlete can get open.

It was definitely a scathing review, have to step up and show them it was inaccurate.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Hope Coach Stoops and the staff read these reviews to the players to motivate them for a great season

This is a bunch of crapt!!!! We all know this team better than these rags and we all can see the improvement in player quality, development, depth and coaching.

These rags are spewing the same hate they always do. This is the year for the perfect storm.

I agree with you! But having said that, I also subscribe to the principle that the best predictor of future performance is past performance. And, frankly, our most recent past performance hasn't been that great, especially from an outsider's perspective that doesn't have blue-tinted glasses like I do.

So - as much as I hate to admit it, I can understand why these mags are picking UK to have a poor record - because that's typically how things have turned out.

As others have said, expectations will be raised when we start winning and UK will get the respect it has earned.

The evaluation is kinda spot on except I think our receivers are much better than estimated. I think our receivers could be some of the best in the SEC.

No RB on UK's team has proven to be a great SEC RB except for Boom. So yes, we may have the worst RBs in the whole SEC. Remember, Boom has been injured before and that is a horrible possibility.

Next, UK's D-Line is nothing to scream about. We are not going to be much better after losing Smith and Dupree. Anyone thinking otherwise is dreaming. We can only hope that Elam and our DTs can clog the middle better than last season.

Linebackers should improve slightly with Flannigan and Forrest getting more experience. Besides that, please don't expect RS Freshmen to be stud LBs in the SEC. That is not going to happen.

Our O-Line is getting better because of recruiting, but it's still too early. Our talented O-Lineman are only RS Freshmen mostly.

I love our safeties, but CB is a big concern because of Joker's mess.
ok, name me the guy at sc thats better than jojo? how bout the guy at missou thats got more upside than horton? who was that guy from vandy that any of us would take over any of our 3? if im not mistaken ole miss and ms st lost their rb's from last year so what have their backups shown?

anyone who thinks our rb's are that bad have not even done research. we got 3 guys that could be our feature back and 1 of those guys is just next level fast. like i said, i can see how our wr's got rated that low because of production down the stretch and not knowing who badet and montgomery are because of the rs's but how the heck can you rate our 3 rb's that low. im not buying it. this guy just stuck us there without any actual insight or knowledge of the rb position at the sec schools.

ok, name me the guy at sc thats better than jojo? how bout the guy at missou thats got more upside than horton? who was that guy from vandy that any of us would take over any of our 3? if im not mistaken ole miss and ms st lost their rb's from last year so what have their backups shown?

anyone who thinks our rb's are that bad have not even done research. we got 3 guys that could be our feature back and 1 of those guys is just next level fast. like i said, i can see how our wr's got rated that low because of production down the stretch and not knowing who badet and montgomery are because of the rs's but how the heck can you rate our 3 rb's that low. im not buying it. this guy just stuck us there without any actual insight or knowledge of the rb position at the sec schools.

These are the high profile RB's for those teams:

USCjr is touting Brandon Wilds, 570 yds last year

Vandy - Ralph Webb rushed for over 1000 yds last year

Missouri - Russell Hansbrough rushed for over 1000 yds last year

These mags work off the principle that teams will continue along a path until they prove otherwise, unless something dramatic happens. UK has to move the needle. No magazine can do that for them.

like brianpoe mentioned above, the only RB we have that has proven himself is Boom. You're making a big assumption that JoJo and Horton are legit SEC RBs when they haven't proven themselves yet. I like JoJo's heart and Horton's size a lot, but they are playing in the SEC.

Boom is the type of RB that SC, UGA, UF, Bama, Auburn, and UT have every single season...Boom is special compared to UK RBs, but he isn't very special compared to RBs in the SEC. All of the teams I mentioned have comparable RBs to Boom. Don't kid yourself.

That is how elite the SEC really is....

The only way UK will compete with those teams is if Stoops can consistently sign top 25 recruiting classes and we are getting Booms every recruiting cycle.

Kentucky hasn't had an above .500 SEC record since Jimmy Carter was President. Point being, nobody is going to give Kentucky football any respect until they earn in.

I know the "basketball school" label irritates football guys like me, but again, until the football team does something to change it, we'll keep getting the same old stuff.

Another factor, IMO, is that some of these writers can be a little lazy when previewing Kentucky. I'm not saying they were in this instance, but UK football is an afterthought nationally. They could probably cut and paste any preview from the last 10 years, change the names, and they're done.

GBB!!!

My thoughts exactly. I guess when you preview 120 teams, you're not gonna place much emphasis on a sub .500 perennial whipping boy of the SEC. They've probably cut and pasted from the same preview for the last two decades. I'm optimistic though!

To pick a better back is tough to do, so much is subjective. But SC has Wildes who is coming back for his sr year, he has played behind Lattimore and Davis, his yardage last year wasn't bad for a backup back. Now to say he is better than UK backs, it depends on who you ask and what you are looking for, but he is a good back. The guy at Missouri is also very good, he rushed for 1000 counting the bowl so that would make him a pretty good back in my mind. As for as who has as much upside at Horton, no idea who they have. But I think its a fair question to ask how much upside does Horton have? He isn't in Boom's class and ran much like a FB last year. Newton looked great in the wildcat against USC, but after that he wasn't showcased like he was against USC for whatever reason. A couple of games like that one and he would be getting much more respect than he is now. But both of those teams you mentioned have good backs, WIldes, barring injury will have a big year and make himself quite a bit of money because of his size and speed combo.

The cats in the SEC do have a tough climb, but I believe our recruits buy in to what Coach Stoops and his staff are building towards.While I do believe the cats go bowling this year, they will still take a couple to the wire where we say " If Only".This year will be a year Ky earns a lot of respect from around the SEC. If I recall, when Mizzou came into the SEC these same mags were not giving them much hope either. Nor did they think A&M would fit in. Trust me, a little respect will go a long way towards climbing this ladder we call the SEC. GO CATS!!!

Fact of the matter is that we don't know what we have. What we know is that we have a few stud wideouts, a few good to great backs, a more experienced QB, a more experienced OLine at first (with a substantial drop-off in exp as the two-deep falls but has much more talent).

Bone and Baker showed spurts but never wowed me. They were sporadic as freshmen typically are. Brilliance one moment and lack-luster crap the next. Timmons had a few instances of butter-fingers. Johnson was incredible and the most steady of them all which seems to have translated into the spring. Outside of that, we have Williams, Snodgrass, and Herrick who should all have potential to do great things but haven't hardly seen the field if they have at all.

Boom is an incredible athlete and I'd go as far as to say the best offensive threat we've had since Cobb. Outside of him, we have a running back in Kemp who made Spurrier his bish last year but did next to nothing else for grades, injury, or whatever it was that kept him out of games. Horton supposedly wowed the coaches this spring, but we haven't seen him do much more than pick up chip yardage and/or lose the ball.

We have a freshman and RS freshman TE who we've never seen play a down of SEC football but should give us a much needed threat in the middle that we have been sorely lacking. Again, unproven but harnessing enormous potential.

Towles ran almost as much as he threw (easy there, stats folk) and he is not a dual-threat. He's improved a lot this spring, but has he improved more than Dak, Maty, and others around the league? I think so, but the folks at the major mag companies aren't going to waste time looking into that crap.

Our OLine will improve dramatically, in my opinion, although that may not mean too incredibly much. Our group is another year older with the best center in the SEC (IMO) anchoring them. They will be given rest by a plethora or more talented underclassmen. Do not sleep on Krok, LaRubbio, Stallings, Meyers, Haynes, and Richardson. Those are tough guys, folks. Also, for those of you who are worried about tackles, Stallings, Richardson, Krok, Meadows, and next year, Young, will provide excellent tackle production for years to come. That's potential, though.

The Defensive Line should improve. You can tell me that I'm wrong, but we have solid defensive end play coming from Huguenin, Hatcher, Ware, and Johnson. They will not be double or triple-teamed like Bud and sometimes Z were. Meant, Lewis, and Elam will be able to clog up the middle and our ends will be freed up unlike our stars were last season. However, all they see are two draftees gone and less-than-productive NT's coming back.

Our linebackers will improve substantially, IMO. They will be an asset on defense instead of am liability, however, you wouldn't be able to tell that from last year had you not seen the improvements from Forrest and Flannigan. We have Hendrix and Henderson, who should be more experienced. Firios, Hatcher*, Daniel, Ware*, Walker, Love (maybe), and Jones... Anyone know what happened to Jabari Johnson?

Our secondary has Stamps, McClain, Randolph, McWilson (who aside from a couple key drops, improved a lot in year two), West, Edwards, Hytche with speed, and a slew of other corners who will be serviceable. However, Stamps and McClain were the only ones who jumped out at you if you weren't a Kentucky fan. You likely didn't see the solid play from McWilson and Randolph if you weren't looking at the whole season. Don't give me crap about our freshmen and redshirts being untested, either. They've had to put up with Badet, Johnson, Timmons, our possession receivers, and Snodgrass in practice.

We as fans see these cogs in motion but the writers of these publications only see the face and hands. We know that the potential and talent is there, but it has yet to be seen by these editors and their magazines tailored to more historically productive programs. Stoops does not sugar coat damn-near anything. If the coaches are impressed and Stoops is pleased with the effort, then we've gotten our foundation and simply need to march. This will not be told in anything Athlon or Lindy's has to offer. That's why I said in my mashup that they were crap except for the tables and data. Their insight is shallow at best, and the average to rabid UK fan would be better suited getting a CatsIllustrated or Cats Pause to fulfill their appetite (if not for these forums...

Last edited:
Reactions: ukalum1988
To pick a better back is tough to do, so much is subjective. But SC has Wildes who is coming back for his sr year, he has played behind Lattimore and Davis, his yardage last year wasn't bad for a backup back. Now to say he is better than UK backs, it depends on who you ask and what you are looking for, but he is a good back. The guy at Missouri is also very good, he rushed for 1000 counting the bowl so that would make him a pretty good back in my mind. As for as who has as much upside at Horton, no idea who they have. But I think its a fair question to ask how much upside does Horton have? He isn't in Boom's class and ran much like a FB last year. Newton looked great in the wildcat against USC, but after that he wasn't showcased like he was against USC for whatever reason. A couple of games like that one and he would be getting much more respect than he is now. But both of those teams you mentioned have good backs, WIldes, barring injury will have a big year and make himself quite a bit of money because of his size and speed combo.
boom avg 6.6 ypc and 16.2 y/rec. jojo avg 4.6 ypc. mikel avg 5.2. wildes avg 5.4. the guy at vandy avg 4.3 and 300 of his 900 yards on the year came against old dominion and massachusettes. hansbrough at missouri was really good at times and i thought he had graduated so that was my mistake but he only avg 5.3 and did nothing against us and we had a hard time stopping really good backs.

jojo got in either stoops or browns dog house after a pouting session on the sideline during a game and he appears to be back in the good and has added about 10#. mikel did run upright too much last year but has lost about 15 to 20 pounds since last year and has added some flexibility in his hips.

i think my problem with rating us last is that if our o-line is that much worse then these other teams... then how did our rb's avg more ypc then other teams rb's? i do agree it is subjective but i believe the guy that did our analysis never actually watched film on us or did any snooping around spring practice. he just looked up yards coming back and said "well they stink but that boom guy may be good" and that was that. now this guy gets paid money to make predictions about teams and positions groups and thats why i say i hope he is held accountable. if at the end of the year we look like the worst rb group in the sec i'll come back and admit i got it wrong but i think we'll end up being in the 10 to 12 range once it all plays out (depending on injuries which can ruin any group sometimes). but i quit buying those rags years ago cause unless you are contending for a title that year the analysis is pretty week and i would agree that phil steele is probably the best of the rags.

We played LMU after the SC game and Kemp had a disaster of a game. That was when he fumbled the snap a coupe of times, fumbled the ball again at the end of a run but was saved by one of our wr who picked it up, that was also the game where he tried the ill-fated pass that was picked off. But the worse thing was his inconsolable pouting and agonizing on the bench.

GBB!!!

Erik is right on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT