Jan 25, 2003
Here's UK's likely starting lineup plus top 3 off the bench -

PG - Tyler Ulis
SG - Isaiah Briscoe
SF - Charles Matthews
PF - Alex Poythress
C - Skal Labissiere

Bench - Marcus Lee, Mychal Mulder, Derek WIllis

Here are the likely lineups for Duke, UNC, Arizona, Michigan State, Iowa State, Maryland, Kansas, Villanova, Virginia, Louisville, LSU, Notre Dame, Indiana, and Wisconsin .

Duke -

PG - Derryck Thornton
SG - Grayson Allen
SF - Brandon Ingram
PF - Amille Jefferson
C - Chase Jeter

Bench - Matt Jones, Luke Kennard, Marshall Plumlee

UNC -

PG - Marcus Paige
SG - Joel Berry
SF - Justin Jackson
PF - Brice Johnson
C - Kennedy Meeks

Bench - Isaiah Hicks, Nate Britt, Theo Pinson

Arizona -

PG - Gabe York
SG - Parker Jackson-Cartwright
SF - Alonzo Trier
PF - Ray Smith
C - Kaleb Tarczewski

Bench - Kadeem Allen, Ryan Anderson, Chance Comanche

Michigan State -

PG - Bryn Forbes
SG - Eron Harris
SF - Denzel Valentine
PF - Matt Costello
C - Caleb Swanigan

Bench - Deyonta Davis, Javon Bess, Matt McQuaid

Maryland -

PG - Melo Trimble
SG - Jared Nickens
SF - Jake Layman
PF - Damonte Dodd
C - Diamond Stone

Bench - Robert Carter, Dion Wiley, Richaud Pack

Iowa State -

PG - Monte Morris
SG - Naz Long
SF - Abdel Nader
PF - Georges Niang
C- Jameel McKay

Bench - Nick Noskowiak, Deonte Burton

Kansas -

PG - Frank Mason
SG - Wayne Selden
SF - Brannen Greene
PF - Perry Ellis
C - Chieck Diallo

Bench - Carlton Bragg, Devonte Graham, Jamari Traylor

Villanova -

PG - Jalen Brunson
SG - Ryan Arcidiacono
SF - Josh Hart
PF - Kris Jenkins
C - Daniel Ochefu

Bench - Tim Delaney, Donte, DiVincenzo, Phil Booth

Virginia -

PG - London Perrantes
SG - Malcom Brogdon
SF - Marial Shayok
PF - Anthony Gill
C - Mike Tobey

Bench - Evan Nolte, Devon Hall

Louisville -

PG - Quentin Snider
SG - Damion Lee
SF - Deng Adel
PF - Chinanu Onuaku
C - Mangock Mathiang

Bench- Trey Lewis, Donovan Mitchell, Raymond Spalding

LSU -

PG - Jalyn Patterson
SG - Keith Hornsby
SF - Tim Quarterman
PF - Ben Simmons
C - Aaron Epps

Bench - Antonio Blakeney, Brandon Sampson, Josh Gray

Gonzaga -

PG - Jesse Wade
SG - Josh Perkins
SF - Kyle Wiltjer
PF - Domantas Sabonis
C - Przemek Karnowski

Bench - Kyle Dranginis, Silas Melson, Eric McClellan

Notre Dame -

PG - Demetrius Jackson
SG - Steve Vasturia
SF - Bonzie COlson
PF - VJ Beachem
C - Zach Auguste

Bench - Rex Pfleuger, Austin Torres, Matt Ryan

Indiana -

PG - Yogi Ferrell
SG - James Blackmon
SF - Troy Williams
PF - Hanner Perea
C - Thomas Bryant

Bench - Robert Johnson, Nick Zeisloft, Stanford Robinson

Wisconsin -

PG - Bronson Koenig
SG - Brevin Pritzl
SF - Nigel Hayes
PF - Vitto Brown
C - Alex Illikainen

Bench - Zak Showalter, Charlie Thomas

Now, there are other teams ranked in the early top 25 that I didn't add like Oklahoma, Wichita State, etc. but I think this list represents much of the best of college basketball next season, and frankly, I'm not worried about our lineup. In fact, I'd say that our lineup is as good as any in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: ukfan03
I doubt Matt Jones ,Dukes only returning starter, comes off the bench. They won the tourny going with a small line-up, T.Jones,Cook,M.Jones, Winslow, and Okafor. I'm guessing they go Thornton,Allen,Jones,Ingram, and Jefferson.

I agree about UNC. Kinda glad we don't play them next season, at least not until the NCAA-T.

I doubt Matt Jones ,Dukes only returning starter, comes off the bench. They won the tourny going with a small line-up, T.Jones,Cook,M.Jones, Winslow, and Okafor. I'm guessing they go Thornton,Allen,Jones,Ingram, and Jefferson.

You may be right, but who knows how things will shake out. Maybe K wants Jones to be the 6th man? Much like how Darius was utilized in 2012, or maybe K has Allen come off the bench as the 6th man and has Jones in there with Thornton?

The big issue with Ingram is his skinny frame. Coach K has a history of playing NBA small forwards as his power forwards: Justice Winslow, Jabari Parker, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy, Shane Battier, Dahntay Jones, Kyle Singler for the first 3 seasons... But all those guys were strong enough to at least battle traditional power forwards on defense. If Ingram is pigeon-holed into the face-up PF role in dook's offense, how much PT will he really get? I could easily see him on the outside looking in when K cuts his rotation down to 6-7 players in ACC play like he normally does. That is the big reason I thought all his other finalists were better options. He would actually have played the wing at those other schools. At dook he fits into that faceup PF role, but does not have near enough strength or bulk to guard power forwards.

Indiana -Just to clarify

PG - Yogi Ferrell
SG - James Blackmon
SF - Troy Williams
PF - Colin Hartman
C - Thomas Bryant

Bench - Robert Johnson, Nick Zeisloft, Perea, Holt, Morgan, OG (Oladipo clone).

The big issue with Ingram is his skinny frame. Coach K has a history of playing NBA small forwards as his power forwards: Justice Winslow, Jabari Parker, Luol Deng, Mike Dunleavy, Shane Battier, Dahntay Jones, Kyle Singler for the first 3 seasons... But all those guys were strong enough to at least battle traditional power forwards on defense. If Ingram is pigeon-holed into the face-up PF role in dook's offense, how much PT will he really get? I could easily see him on the outside looking in when K cuts his rotation down to 6-7 players in ACC play like he normally does. That is the big reason I thought all his other finalists were better options. He would actually have played the wing at those other schools. At dook he fits into that faceup PF role, but does not have near enough strength or bulk to guard power forwards.

Ingram will be one of the most skilled freshman in the counrty, he's 6'9" with handles and can stroke it. He will play for duke and he will play a lot.

UNC has to be the early favorite. UK, Duke, Iowa State and Maryland round out the top 5 IMO. In no particular order.

I agree that UNC looks like the best team on paper. Should be very competitive with no clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest, favorite.

I greatly appreciate your effort in putting this together and find it very useful, but u of l's lineup will most likely be:
Pg Snider
Sg Lewis
Sf Lee
Pf Johnson
C mathiang

Bench: Adel, Mitchell, Onauaku

I definitely agree Carolina looks like the best team.

I agree that UNC looks like the best team on paper. Should be very competitive with no clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest, favorite.

Cheers to the hopes that this ends up like 2012 again.

Reactions: MWes11
Really hope that if Kentucky doesn't win the title, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Louisville etc. don't. I'd be fine with schools like Maryland or Virginia winning it.

Any of those teams are more than capable of beating us. If we had that PF of Florida's and Murray I'd love our chances against anybody. We have a good shot now but I'm not thrilled with our offensive talent. Our D should still be decent though if we had held on to 2 of the freshmen I'd like our chances to be a 1 or 2 loss team.

Really hope that if Kentucky doesn't win the title, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Louisville etc. don't. I'd be fine with schools like Maryland or Virginia winning it.

I'm going to have to see Tony Bennett make a Final Four before I'll believe he is capable of winning the whole thing. That milk-the-clock stall ball stuff doesn't seem to work in the tourney. I don't care how good your defense is.... scoring in the 50s is gonna get you beat in the dance.

For Duke you forgot Sean Obi (6'9, 270 transfer from Rice).

I think Duke will start:

G Thornton
G Allen
G Jones
F Ingram
F Jeter

K likes shooters at the 4 spot (Battier, Singler, and Winslow on his last 3 title teams). Ingram is perfect for that spot in that system.

That puts Kennard, Jefferson, and Obi off the bench. Plumlee spot minutes.

Top 10 preseason IMO

1.UNC
2.UK
3.Duke ( though they wont do much in the dance as they have nothing inside as jeter is sooo overrated )
4.KU
5.Iowa St
6.Michigan St
7.Nova
8.UVA
9.Maryland
10.Witchita St

Jeter is definitely soft. Talk about a tremendous downgrade from Okafor. I would agree with this though. Wouldn't be shocked if Duke was ranked ahead of us though, and if Iowa State was given thoughts about being ranked higher. Maryland will be top 5, and UVA should move down. They lost their 2 primary offensive players, and it's not like they're bringing in instant offense.

ACC will be tops again with UNC, Duke and UVA all around top 5-8.

KU will be top 5 easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT