ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington Players on U of L

cats1068

Sophomore
Nov 17, 2008
I tell you what gripes me. U of L coming into Lexington and getting good players. I'm normally not "why doesn't UK have more KY players on the roster". But with the success of U of L and the mediocrity of UK, it really burns me up that Henderson can't get kids down the street to play for him. He's so incompetent but the sad thing is that Barnhart likes him. So, he's going nowhere and so is this program as long as he is the mgr. It is really frustrating!

It is kind of interesting. This year Louisville has 5 kids from Lexington on their team. All of them are freshmen or sophomores. The best of them is probably Lincoln Henzman, who has a 2.68 ERA and is a freshman. He was the number 2 player in the state of Kentucky. The only other one starting for them is Devin Hairston, brother to our very own Dorian Hairston.

Some other interesting information... Kentucky has just 2 freshmen from Kentucky on the roster. Louisville has 5 and I believe they were all top 10 players in the state of Kentucky.

Next year, Kentucky does not have a single commitment from the state of Kentucky. Louisville has 3, including one from Lexington, Daniel Little.

Our class next year has some pretty big names, Nicholas Shumpert as 5 tool potential SS and is probably a top draft pick. He was ranked the 4th best player in the country his junior year, and seems to be only getting better. His father, Terry, played for UK under Keith Madison, however, I doubt this will sway Nicholas to forego the draft for 3 years and suit up for UK.

Okay, after searching through Perfect Game some more I found some more interesting stuff. Last year Louisville had 5 of the top 10 players from KY. Kentucky had 2 in the top 17. Evansville had 2 in the top 17, including No. 8 Luke Rouse. WKU got the top player, who headed to the pros.

In 2013 UK had 4 of the top 5 players in KY committed. Two of those, Green and Hollon, went to the pros. Louisville had 2 in the top 10.

Speaking of Hunter Green, does anyone know what happened to him in 2014? Hollon had an injury and I think he was out the whole season, but there is no mention of Green having stats for 2014. Trevor Clifton, another one we lost to the draft in 2013, looks to be doing pretty well in the Cubs organization, he is already in single A full season.

Shumpert had a 10.0 rating by Perfect game, amazing. More HS players are heading to college now a days, and with a father who played 12 plus seasons in the major leagues, I don't think money is a problem, so maybe he will come to campus. There is also an outfielder from Michigan who has tremendous power, his name escapes me, but the long ball is sorely lacking this season.
Agree that we haven't gotten as many Ky. kids as we should have, that needs to change. BTW what happened to Logan Parrott, he was a highly ranked pitcher/ infielder who suffered an injury a couple of years ago as a HS senior, but doesn't seem to be on the roster any more.

Clover, I believe that is Nick Plummer. http://indians.scout.com/story/1512712-2015-mlb-draft-profile-of-nick-plummer

He, Schumpert and Travis Blankenhorn look to be extremely good prospects. All three were 1st team All Americans for 2015 according to Perfect Game. Blankenhorn, also a SS, was also given a 10.0 rating by PG. Lefty Josuha Smith was given a 9.5 and SS Isaiah Lewis was given a 9. So, the class is extremely solid. The question is... how many of them will actually head to Lexington? Will this by similar to the 2013 class where our 3 best commitments (Hollon, Green, and Clifton) head to the pros leaving us with a fairly light class or will we get lucky and see these kids in blue for 3 years? I am not going to hold my breath on any of them, but would love to see at least one or two of them decide to play some college ball. If not then we'll see how we do in the JUCO ranks.

Walker Buehler and Anderson Miller are also two guys from Lexington that are having great college careers that went elsewhere. I don't have any insight on Buehler's recruitment but I know that Miller was a guy that UK was aware of but ultimately decided to not sign.

I think Carson and Wilson are decent players. They can do some good things on the field, but having Miller and one more solid starting pitcher (wouldn't even have to be Buehler) and UK would have a good shot at a super regional.

Clover, I believe that is Nick Plummer. http://indians.scout.com/story/1512712-2015-mlb-draft-profile-of-nick-plummer

He, Schumpert and Travis Blankenhorn look to be extremely good prospects. All three were 1st team All Americans for 2015 according to Perfect Game. Blankenhorn, also a SS, was also given a 10.0 rating by PG. Lefty Josuha Smith was given a 9.5 and SS Isaiah Lewis was given a 9. So, the class is extremely solid. The question is... how many of them will actually head to Lexington? Will this by similar to the 2013 class where our 3 best commitments (Hollon, Green, and Clifton) head to the pros leaving us with a fairly light class or will we get lucky and see these kids in blue for 3 years? I am not going to hold my breath on any of them, but would love to see at least one or two of them decide to play some college ball. If not then we'll see how we do in the JUCO ranks.

Comeback, you have found him. He is rising rapidly, and that could be trouble for us. His bat is his strong suit, even if he has below average arm, and just above average speed, he could be drafted pretty high. Blankenhorn is also a big timer, Lewis will be here almost certainly, he is small, but an outstanding prospect out of Georgia.
If this class were to all wind up in Lexington, look out !!!

ADVERTISEMENT