ADVERTISEMENT

Letterman Fans

Appreciate the contribution, lek. Mighty white of you.

That Phoenix interview was classic. Crispin Clover(Dad in Back to the Future) had a very similar one back in the day.

"True sense of humor" snobbery is internet snobbery at its finest
roll.gif
. Well done.

C'mon all you die-hard Letterman fans (as opposed to us "casual" fans that only loved him for his first 15 or so years), could y'all please help 2blue out by posting in his thread? Don't let wishing it had been another GYERO poster -- or as 2blue put it, a more "inclusive" GYERO poster -- hold you back from showing Dave your unconditional support.

Mav, c'mon. You've taken this way too personal. Nothing I've posted has been directed to casual fans(you) and I'm not sure how you could think otherwise. And the fact you feel the need to somehow "check me" on something that was obviously a poor attempt at self-deprecation is really strange to me. I've thought you were a solid poster, and I still do, but this isn't your best moment, imo. No trying to sound like a snob either.

BTW, I don't consider myself a GYERO poster, and they most certainly do not. Some of those guys are probably offended at the assumption. I do, however, post random shit in there time to time. I do this b/c I feel that's what the thread was made for, and b/c they make me feel so welcome.

Mav, c'mon. You've taken this way too personal. Nothing I've posted has been directed to casual fans(you) and I'm not sure how you could think otherwise. And the fact you feel the need to somehow "check me" on something that was obviously a poor attempt at self-deprecation is really strange to me. I've thought you were a solid poster, and I still do, but this isn't your best moment, imo. No trying to sound like a snob either.

Awww hell dude, it's all good. I didn't take anything personally -- I never do -- I was just busting your balls a little cause it seemed you yourself were taking the lukewarm Letterman reception personally, so I thought I'd make a couple smart-ass comments.

For the record, like I mentioned earlier and not that it matters, nobody was better than early Dave thru mid-90s Dave. Something changed though -- and I don't give a shit about his politics one way or the other -- but he just wasn't as funny to me any more. I dunno whether it was losing the Carson gig, or whether it was eventually losing ratings to Leno (hell that would piss me off too...Leno sucks, see Bill Hicks on youtube for more detail), but something changed and he just didn't do it for me. Oh well. Classic Dave is still top-notch.

I have to admit that your "inclusive types from GYERO" post flew right over my head, so kudos on slipping one past me :D.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
But then again....maybe not. Odd bunch around here. Extremely conservative and close-minded. Relatively speaking of course. And most lack a true sense of humor. Not a description of a Letterman fan.

Here's Dave spanking Big Bill O'Reilly. I think republicans were in mourning for a week after.

You see now, here is part of your problem. Just because people don't like someone does not make them closed minded. It simply means that they really don't think he was funny anymore. Very shallow take on your part. But, that is the normal left response if people do not agree, your either not educated, racist, redneck, hateful, and list of other negative feelings. In this country now if you are not a left leaner, your wrong.

I take it personal. There isn't a current late night person who can hold a candle to Dave. Part of that is because he's a dinosaur from a better time and all the new PC p-bois are a product of modern p-boi society.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
giphy.gif

You see now, here is part of your problem. Just because people don't like someone does not make them closed minded. It simply means that they really don't think he was funny anymore. Very shallow take on your part. But, that is the normal left response if people do not agree, your either not educated, racist, redneck, hateful, and list of other negative feelings. In this country now if you are not a left leaner, your wrong.

I kept hoping I'd find Letterman as funny and interesting as he found himself, but it never happened. I finally gave up.

All his butt kissing with Obama was funny. Otherwise not so funny and barely interesting. Much too cute. Reminded me of Jerry Lewis's attempts at being cool and intellectual.

Never a big fan of late night talk shows. Always thought Letterman's humor was too 'New York' for me, i.e., too snarky, too weird, too inside-jokish. Only time I've ever watched these shows is to watch a particular musical guest. Then, I just FF to the performance. Absolutely don't care at all what any of his guests think about politics, environment, money, etc. Hence the reason I almost never watch.

Never a big fan of late night talk shows. Always thought Letterman's humor was too 'New York' for me, i.e., too snarky, too weird, too inside-jokish. Only time I've ever watched these shows is to watch a particular musical guest. Then, I just FF to the performance. Absolutely don't care at all what any of his guests think about politics, environment, money, etc. Hence the reason I almost never watch.
Why the touch are you posting in this thread? Jesus, are you being a contrarian just to be a contrarian? The dude has influenced TV the last 30 years or so with his comedy. I get you may not be smart enough to understand his humor, but hes had some great TV and great interviews.

Why the touch are you posting in this thread? Jesus, are you being a contrarian just to be a contrarian? The dude has influenced TV the last 30 years or so with his comedy. I get you may not be smart enough to understand his humor, but hes had some great TV and great interviews.

Last time I checked, this was a forum where anyone, within reason, can post for whatever reason. In your opinion (and others, to be fair), he's been influential, funny, conducted great interviews. I disagree. BTW, I'm not the only one who has posted on this thread who doesn't think he's funny or that they don't watch late night TV. Why the touch are you ragging on me and not all the others? Are you being an a-hole just to be an a-hole?

I always have felt that Letterman lost a lot of his edge once he moved from NBC's Late Night spot at 12:30 to his current gig. There was something about his Late Night show that made it seem a lot more daring.

The move to CBS allowed him to be more a part of the main stream, but he never was quite the same. However, he sure as hell continued to be a far better 11:30 option over Jay Effing Leno's yuk-yuk bullshit that so many of the mind-numbingly stupid element of our society found to be a "real hoot"

Right now, he's kind of been like the Simpsons to me. A show that I once loved and would still find entertaining when I happen to turn it on, but I just lost motivation to watch it.

No different than how I felt about Johnny Carson when he called it a night, although Letterman is still able to produce a good show while Carson had really faded. In the end, I'll still appreciate how much of an impact his brand of comedy had on the late night genre.

You pretty much expressed my opinion exactly. I'll probably watch tonight because it's the end of an era, but I won't be concerned if I miss it.

One thing I'm certain of though, is that it doesn't make me mad one iota whether people enjoy the show or not. I can't see getting upset about whether you like a comedienne or not. If you like him, great, If you don't, great. Who cares?

You pretty much expressed my opinion exactly. I'll probably watch tonight because it's the end of an era, but I won't be concerned if I miss it.

One thing I'm certain of though, is that it doesn't make me mad one iota whether people enjoy the show or not. I can't see getting upset about whether you like a comedienne or not. If you like him, great, If you don't, great. Who cares?

I agree. If you hate Dave, that's fine. We don't have to agree. But when you state your opinion and then give bullshit reasons as to why you think that way, I'm going call you out on that. Not really trying to say your wrong, but mostly to point out that you may have a flaw in your reasoning. The least I can do to a negative post, in what's suppose to be a positive thread. But I don't ever expect somebody to change their mind. Nor should they either. That's not the point. There's no point really. Just trying to proceed the discussion.

Don't post if you're afraid of scrutiny, I guess.

Last edited:
Just a few minutes until the final show. I'll watch it for the sake of nostalgia.

As I said earlier, I was with him from the beginning... from the spots on Carson, his daytime gig, the later show on NBC, to the switch to CBS. IMO, his tone changed in the mid-2000's, and that was the end for me.

I tried to give him another shot a little over a year ago... first time in years. But 5+ years into BHO's regime, he still couldn't manage a joke at the Dems' expense, it seemed... while he worked in 3 shots at the Reps. 2 of those 3 jokes were of the Bush-Cheney variety. Not exactly what I'd call a "fresh" take on political humor.

Anyway, I do appreciate the years he had Craig Kilborn handling the later time slot... and I hope he has a nice finish tonight.

Pretty good. Glad to see that Taco Bell bit again. Vintage Letterman... had me laughing the whole time during that gag.

Definitely the end of an era.

If the 97th Bombardment Wing hit it him with a B-52 strike, I would have definitely watched.

Spica Orbit

I agree. If you hate Dave, that's fine. We don't have to agree. But when you state your opinion and then give bullshit reasons as to why you think that way, I'm going call you out on that. Not really trying to say your wrong, but mostly to point out that you may have a flaw in your reasoning. The least I can do to a negative post, in what's suppose to be a positive thread. But I don't ever expect somebody to change their mind. Nor should they either. That's not the point. There's no point really. Just trying to proceed the discussion.

Don't post if you're afraid of scrutiny, I guess.
To say one has a flaw in their reasoning because they do not agree with your take is a bit hypocritical. Once again, because you think he was great does not mean everyone will and before you give this crap about not having to read it, remember this is an open forum where people like to give their opinions. Didn't we just have a thread about thin skinned people need not post? Or, at least expect to have your opinion challenged every time you post here. You seem to be offended because someone does not like Dave. Like I said before, many like myself used to really like him but, he lost it about 10 years ago or so IMO.

Haven't read the thread, but for my money, Letterman was the best Late Night host in history.

He was edgy, subversive and self-deprecating before it was cool. Everything was tongue-in-cheek, always with a wink and a nod to the audience. He gave off this aura of really not giving a shit. His attitude changed the landscape and helped shape comedy for an entire generation.

Reactions: UK_Norm and 2blue4u
I liked him, but those Top 10's were awful. Humor that only my 91 grandmother would smile at.

Dave has been mailing it in for a few years now as people in the industry tend to do after so many years (see my personal favorite: Howard Stern). Fallon comes along taking over the Tonight Show and actually does a lot better than most people expect, plus Kimmel is good too.

Leno always beat Dave in ratings but anybody that knows comedy obviously knows that he's not even in Dave's ballpark. But Kimmel and Fallon come along and their shows are actually funny, and I think that put pressure on Dave to call it a career. Just my opinion.

Reactions: warrior-cat
I saw Leno in person about three times in three years because everyone that visited me wanted to go see a taping. In those three times, he came out and addressed the crowd in an all denim outfit and told an Ashley Simpson lip synching joke. The last time I went, he told the joke was in 2008. That lip synching thing happened in 2004.

Leno sucked.

Letterman's first 10 years were the best IMO. Larry "Bud" Melman. Jerry Lawler and Andy Kaufmann. Stupid pet tricks and stupid human tricks.

ADVERTISEMENT