ADVERTISEMENT

Laying Tile Without Grout?

Crankdatmustard

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2010
The Kentucky Football Podcast
Looking to put some wood like ceramic in my basement. I have noticed some folks have laid the tile without grout butting the tile together to look more like an actual wooden floor. I have to admit it does look better without the grout, but is this actually a good thing to do?

With Grout
photo.jpg

Without Grout
photo.jpg

Guess it depends if you want the tile job to last or not.
Grout keeps moisture from going down into the substrate and gives a buffer between tiles for their imperfections.

The dark grout he uses looks better than the white you showed above.

I have noticed some folks have laid the tile without grout ... but is this actually a good thing to do?
Don't listen to these idiots Crank, they're just effing with you. Not using grout IS a good thing to do. The concrete floor underneath the tile needs to breath in order to fully cure -- grout seals it off and prevents air from getting to it.

I just did a peel n' stick floor to update our master to sell the house.

Catlanta's cheat sheet:

1. If decide on grout, 1/8" max. I did 1/4" and it's measures out about double that.
2. This one hurt. WIPE THE GROUT OFF BEFORE IT DRIES. Add an extra day with vinegar and being on your hands and knees scrubbing if not.
3. Take extra time to get your lines perfect before you lay the first tile.

Thin set mortar will hold your tile firmly in place even without grout, unless the concrete has a sealer that prevents the
thin set from bonding to it. Any water that is spilled will not harm the thin set and weaken the bond, other glues might weaken if you have water problems.

The only problem with not grouting the tile is it leaves cracks for dirt and other things like bugs. Plus it is an area that can't be cleaned and could be a place for mold since its in a basement.

Using a dark colored grout close to the tile color will give a neat look and the grout will not stand out.

Reactions: KYlady
Looking to put some wood like ceramic in my basement. I have noticed some folks have laid the tile without grout butting the tile together to look more like an actual wooden floor. I have to admit it does look better without the grout, but is this actually a good thing to do?

With Grout
photo.jpg

Without Grout
photo.jpg
Both of those pictures have grout.

Reactions: gocatsdotuk
As the above poster said, both pics have grout. The top one has a lighter grout, which makes the grout lines appear larger. If you pick a grout color closer to the tile color, it will appear that the grout joints are smaller. Just pick a grout color that matches the tile, and you won't notice the grout lines.

Don't ever lay tile without grout, the tile will prematurely crack and chip rubbing against each other.

Don't ever lay tile without grout, the tile will prematurely crack and chip rubbing against each other.

It might rub together if laid on a wooden floor/subfloor since movement is possible, his basement has a concrete floor and thus no movement. Thin set mortar will hold it tight enough it would not move and chip. However I would never lay tile without grout because of the things that could get into the joints..dirt,dust,spilled food, and possible place for mold to form...Just no way to clean it properly.

Also don't buy that wood look long tile from a surplus store, it is not flat. At least the title I've used has been warped. It makes for an uneven tile job.

Reactions: gocatsdotuk
Certainly can lay tile without grout, use the easy to install peel and stick tile, it is self-adhesive, just peel the back paper and stick the tiles on the wall, no grout or special tools needed, you can DIY mosaic decor in a short time.
Here are some application photo for you
self-adhesive-wall-tile-1.jpg
self-stick-backsplash-CM0002.jpg

subway-tile-kitchen-backsplash-cm80102-1.jpg

Reactions: Mashburned
Sorry to hear Crank.

Some suggestions...

Here's what you can do when a gout attack starts to ease the pain of the attack and reduce the risk of others.
  1. Take medicine you have on hand. ...
  2. Ice down. ...
  3. Call your doctor. ...
  4. Drink plenty of fluids. ...
  5. Avoid alcohol. ...
  6. Get a cane. ...
  7. Elevate your foot, if affected. ...
  8. Tame your sheets.
There's more to it but I'll leave ya w that to get started...happy recovery.

Certainly can lay tile without grout, use the easy to install peel and stick tile, it is self-adhesive, just peel the back paper and stick the tiles on the wall, no grout or special tools needed, you can DIY mosaic decor in a short time.

If you're doing a wall/backsplash, you cant go wrong w an old standard like subway tile vs that mosaic-ish, too busy imo.

Last edited:
You can lay porcelain tile with no grout, you cannot lay ceramic tile. Go to a flooring or tile store, they will tell which you can use and which you can’t. The tile that can be laid like that is more expensive since it has to be tighter tolerances.

Wow, I would’ve thought you’d have to combat a lot of a movement and stresses from people walking on the backsplahes. Thanks for letting us no you don’t have to have grout at all to lay tile. Very helpful insight, IMO.

I heard that a worker fell into the footer of my front porch and the decision was made to just leave the body because they had three whole yards more to go and the truck was already here. I guess he will always be around.
tumblr_osnyqdspev1qjb84ro4_500.gif
*footing.

This is the Paddock. GTFOH with that weak Home Depot / Alibaba bullshit. Gaggenau or go home.

I got some leftover tile from work and just got finished putting it on the floor of my enclosed trailer. Vinyl tile, no grout. Should I have used grout?

Reactions: homeytheclown
I got some leftover tile from work and just got finished putting it on the floor of my enclosed trailer. Vinyl tile, no grout. Should I have used grout?
Depends — did you put the vinyl tile over concrete?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT