ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Duke player commercial

Cat Ballou

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2007
Well, they are now featuring Jahlil Okafor in a deodorant commercial prominently featuring him in his Duke gear and talking about his championship. Parker's commercial failed to mention his loss to Mercer in the tourney for some reason.

Amazing. These guys havent even done anything in the NBA yet. Can you imagine the reaction if these were UK guys? But they're Duke OADs and it's perfectly okay.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Such BS. I really wish AD or Wall would get some Kentucky love in one of their commercials.

You have to be the 2nd pick in the draft to get a commercial. MKG is still waiting on his turkey burger gig to let him wear his UK uniform in their commercials.

I'm not pissed that a Duke player is in these commercials. It's fair game. So throw out any "wah wah" sentiment now. But let's not pretend that these advertisements didn't have SOME Duke alumni backing it, or ad executive who was a graduate, etc. Pretty clear to see these were largely portioned to be a Duke commercial and help Blue Devil branding.

So it boggles my mind why Kentucky, with a legitimate fanbase that will actually know and root for alumni in the NBA, that currently has 3x as many up and coming NBA players as Duke, isn't all over this. With how crazy and far-reaching BBN is, there has to be some people in career positions to make this happen, simply for love of Kentucky basketball, and helping it grow. Right?

I mean, with SO many players in the NBA from UK, there are limitless ideas. How about an east vs west of UK guys. How about one where the Kentucky bigs rag on guards.. Or one where we show the current nba rookies (kat, wcs, etc) walking up to the court to play ball and the rest of Cals recruits are waiting, like a show down.

With rhe fanbase we have and the players we could market around, we are leaving money on the table...

Reactions: maverick1
Seems like I saw a Wiggins ad wearing Kansas gear the other day. May have dreamt it.

Just don't get how a program like Kentucky and a fanbase like BBN would let any other program clown them in advertising and marketing.

Don't forget all the Kyrie Maravich....I mean Irving commercials. What were the odds of the Cavs sweeping Atlanta? Kyrie had to come back in the fourth game to save his image when it looked like the Cavs would sweep without him, and him only contributing 10 points and 6 assists to their run to that point. Not sure how many turnovers. They didn't need him.

Just don't see how we're being "clowned" by Parker holding up a Duke jersey or whatever.

It kind of comes across as weird and forced. Everyone knows where these top guys went to school. Lower Merion HS jerseys are still flying off the shelf 19 years later. No one has to put it in a commercial because the coaches and universities never miss a chance to mention it.

They are a big time school. They have had the best 30 year run, coach K has over 1,000 wins, he coaches the USA team.

They won the title

Right now they are college basketball!

Well, they are now featuring Jahlil Okafor in a deodorant commercial prominently featuring him in his Duke gear and talking about his championship. Parker's commercial failed to mention his loss to Mercer in the tourney for some reason.

Amazing. These guys havent even done anything in the NBA yet. Can you imagine the reaction if these were UK guys? But they're Duke OADs and it's perfectly okay.

It is called endorsements.......

Still waiting for Carlos Boozer's Rogaine commercial to come out.

Best way to fight it is to mock the endorsements. Create memes of Duke players marketing odd or demeaning products. Go!

Duke has this guy, I forget his name, that is advertising for The Castle.

Duke should be doing Enterprise commercials where there is a NCAA trophy in Indy with the tagline

"Easiest trip to the Final Four"

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
What bothers me is the concerted effort to portray these guys as someone to be respected and admired - in part because they went to Duke - like that's part of what makes them special.

It's an obvious attempt to counteract the negativity of OAD association with Duke. Both seem more like Duke commercials than the product they're hawking. The Parker and Okafor commercials are both very similar as well, even though they are for very different products.

I'd bet money they are both from the same ad agency and some Big time Duke grad/booster is associated with that agency. It ought to be illegal but the NCAA will do nothing and the media will say nothing.

Seems like I saw a Wiggins ad wearing Kansas gear the other day. May have dreamt it.

Yeah, Jwall and K Snowden are in the commercial...it is Adidas, but our 2 alumni aren't wearing UK jerseys.

Nothing is stopping UK from being promoted in a similar manner. Just takes the right timing and having the right connections. It's not like these brands (Nike, Gatorade, Old Spice, etc...) need these specific Duke players to promote their brand. Maybe UK needs to produce some graduates who hold influence in the industry, if that's why the exposure is happening.

IMO, I don't think it's necessarily some Duke grade pushing this. It's objective people making the decision that because of Coach K being the USA coach, having 1000 wins and both Parker/Okafor being high NBA prospects, it's the perfect marketing package. We shouldn't be upset at it...we should counter it with something.

It's not like UK doesn't have the names. They could easily do some sort of commercial featuring Davis, Wall and Cousins helping Towns/WCS prepare for the draft and life in the NBA. You could easily throw in some UK clips, jerseys and publicity in there.

Just don't see how we're being "clowned" by Parker holding up a Duke jersey or whatever.

It kind of comes across as weird and forced. Everyone knows where these top guys went to school. Lower Merion HS jerseys are still flying off the shelf 19 years later. No one has to put it in a commercial because the coaches and universities never miss a chance to mention it.

I used clowned because it seems like something so easy for UK to do, but they just don't. And they let a university like Duke come in and steal the spotlight. As for it being forced and not needed, I respectfully disagree. I've done marketing and advertising in the past, albeit in very small form. It's a very powerful tool, and not just for potential recruits. It's all about branding and getting the Kentucky name out there. Kids of all ages see these commercials and it piques their interest. It garners interest, apparel sales, helps grow the fanbase.

Don't forget all the Kyrie Maravich....I mean Irving commercials. What were the odds of the Cavs sweeping Atlanta? Kyrie had to come back in the fourth game to save his image when it looked like the Cavs would sweep without him, and him only contributing 10 points and 6 assists to their run to that point. Not sure how many turnovers. They didn't need him.

Yeah, they beat an overrated ATL team without him. Let's let him sit out against the Warriors and see the Cavs get swept, because that is what would happen if he sat.

Is okafor not still a student at duke? How is this not a violation? They stopped cbs from televising ky senior day because the ncaa said it was a recruiting advantage for uk. How could this be any different?

You're really asking this? Senior day is during the season.

A student at any school can be in a commercial or get paid for advertising himself.

He just can't then come back and play college sports.

So, yes, it's a violation. Just like every departing UK player who was taking money for autographs yet was still taking classes. They just aren't going to attempt to play again, so what are they violating?

Signing autographs is not put on national tv with ky across their chest. Okafor is on national tv with duke across his chest. To me that is a recruiting advantage plain and simple.

Sure it's a recruiting advantage. You're argument was "violation", not advantage. So is Michael Jordan in UNC Gear on Jordan Brand/Nike commercials. It's not a violation. The NCAA has no jurisdiction to prevent a business from using a school to advertise.

Sure it's a recruiting advantage. You're argument was "violation", not advantage. So is Michael Jordan in UNC Gear on Jordan Brand/Nike commercials. It's not a violation. The NCAA has no jurisdiction to prevent a business from using a school to advertise.

I don't think that is correct. Seems like it'd fall within their licensing agreement arrangement... and consent (along with $, I'm sure) would be required, at the least.
If it was just "free"... there'd have been more of it in the past. Didn't the NCAA crack down on a bakery that used school logos, once upon a time?[/

I don't think that is correct. Seems like it'd fall within their licensing agreement arrangement... and consent (along with $, I'm sure) would be required, at the least.
If it was just "free"... there'd have been more of it in the past. Didn't the NCAA crack down on a bakery that used school logos, once upon a time?[/

I assume the school has to give permission, but there are schools used in local advertising every day. Live in any college town and you will see the school all over commercials and ads. I doubt Duke gets any money for the ads, but it's free publicity.

Again, the NCAA is only going to get involved if it's an athletics issue. As far as they are concerned, this is a former student, who is no longer an eligible athlete, promoting his former school. As long as we didn't break any rules and have their permission, couldn't I wear UK branded gear in some media that I created?

The difference here is this is national brand commercial being seen by millions. It's no different than Joe Schmoe wearing a UK shirt in a YouTube video for his personal training business, for example.

Yeah I'm so pissed I haven't seen Brittany griner pimping out dollar shave club commericals in Baylor gear yet. Women will never be treated equally much like duke and UK basketball players.

Signed
Allison grimes

There are no violations of NCAA rules here. The advertiser simply asks the school permission to use their logo or name. The school agrees. The former student athlete, now just a student if still enrolled, is being compensated for an endorsement of the product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT