ADVERTISEMENT

Landon Young

Well deserved and depending on how he does at that 5* Challenge he might make the top 250. Hopefully UK can keep him on board.

Nice. Two stud 4* local boys to help anchor our future OL. I think we keep him with a solid season. If UK struggles this year, it could get cloudy. But I think the local kids want to stay here and see this turnaround though.

I don't recall his measurements changing on the database. Does anyone know if he has added to that 250 lbs. At 6'7", I could see him playing at around 320.

I think someone mentioned he was in the 285-290 range.

That is good. I seem to remember reading that he wrestles in high school too. Wasn't sure if his weight was where it was for that. 290 is good considering he has another year of high school to go. And once he gets in the nutrition program, he should be at a good weight in no time. I am liking the size on the linemen we are getting.

That is good. I seem to remember reading that he wrestles in high school too. Wasn't sure if his weight was where it was for that. 290 is good considering he has another year of high school to go. And once he gets in the nutrition program, he should be at a good weight in no time. I am liking the size on the linemen we are getting.

If he isn't an early entry and wants to stay wrestle his sr year he will have to stay at 275 until after wrestling season is over. That was done to keep heavyweights at 240# from having to wrestle against guys at 350.

If he isn't an early entry and wants to stay wrestle his sr year he will have to stay at 275 until after wrestling season is over. That was done to keep heavyweights at 240# from having to wrestle against guys at 350.

UK hasn't had a wrestling program in decades. Had a pretty good program at one time but fell victim to Title IX...I think.

Well deserved and depending on how he does at that 5* Challenge he might make the top 250. Hopefully UK can keep him on board.

This is the kind of recruit that has me excited. It is essential we keep guys like Young if we are ever going to climb the SEC.

UK hasn't had a wrestling program in decades. Had a pretty good program at one time but fell victim to Title IX...I think.

I don't think Grumpy was implying that Landon would be wrestling at UK. Landon is only heading into his senior year of HS this fall.

I don't care if the rate him as a one star, or a five star. I'm glad to have him!

mrschwump, if I remember correctly kentucky won the SEC wrestling championship and the SEC cancelled wrestling the next year!!!

That makes sense. Guess me being greedy hopes he decides to get an early start and ready for football and skips wrestling. That way he can already be putting the good weight on. But understandable if he wants to enjoy every last bit of his high school years and wrestle.

Im guessing Rivals gave Young a 4 star rating earlier than intended. I expect to see him get a 4 star in tomorrow's Top 250 or Wednesday's remaining 4 stars. I fully expect him to get a 4th star I think it was just premature yesterday.

I read some snarky post about young being solid to UK by some osu posters so would assume they think they got a good shot or they'd talk about "not sure he is a take for us right now"

It's funny because he's top 200 on every other site. Not sure why rivals is so biased against uk recruits. If Jackson or young committed to OSU, bama
Or auburn with their current offer sheet, they would both at least be top 150.

Is Grumpy sure that KY has a 275 pound maximum? Probably not.

No, I am not 100% sure, but I think the 275 weight limit was set by all the HS associations because of safety reasons. Its been a pretty good while ago so I don't know for sure if it was a national change or just everyone around Georgia. I know at wrestling tournaments that teams from Alabama, Tennessee, the Carolinas all had heavyweights that were 275 or under. Maybe Kentucky didn't make the change but I would think they would have

I don't care if the rate him as a one star, or a five star. I'm glad to have him!
Agree with you, and I am not worried about signing him either. Young is as solid of a commitment as Jackson. A Lexington kid who wants to be a Kentucky Wildcat. I hope people's expectations for Young are realistic. Young is a well regarded prospect because of his athleticism and big frame. But if you look at him, he still needs a lot of physical development. It isn't only about his weight. Look at his upper body, compared to other SEC tackles and SEC prospects. Big difference. He has a lot of work to do before he can win a starting job, but his upside is encouraging. In a couple of years, he will be 30 pounds heavier and a lot stronger.

Reactions: Brock28
With the athleticism he has now, and being 300#, I'm content. He has another year to develop too, so that's a plus. Both he and Jackson could potentially be instant impact guys. Hopefully we get that big JUCO tackle as well.

It's funny because he's top 200 on every other site. Not sure why rivals is so biased against uk recruits. If Jackson or young committed to OSU, bama
Or auburn with their current offer sheet, they would both at least be top 150.

You are so right. Another sad example of the "Kentucky Effect" as it relates to FB recruiting.

I read some snarky post about young being solid to UK by some osu posters so would assume they think they got a good shot or they'd talk about "not sure he is a take for us right now"

Well, he was in Columbus last week, and I'm sure they would have taken him IF he had been willing to verbal to them. Another one of their BS games is the concept of the "commitable offer", but that's a topic for a whole other thread in itself.

With the athleticism he has now, and being 300#, I'm content. He has another year to develop too, so that's a plus. Both he and Jackson could potentially be instant impact guys. Hopefully we get that big JUCO tackle as well.
It would be nice if you turned out to be right about this. I have some doubts though. Drake Jackson already has big legs and a very strong upper body. I believe Drake will redshirt and then win a starting job in 2017 as a redshirt freshman. Landon Young is not as physically developed, so I don't see immediate impact there. Yes he weighs 290 pounds, but that weight is spread over a 6-7 frame. Look at pictures of Landon at these combines, compared to other linemen. He isn't nearly as developed, and his upper body will need more work. I doubt Landon starts before 2018, although I'm sure he will have an outstanding career before he graduates. Swindle and either Meadows or GAA will start at the 2 tackles in 2015. Then Swindle graduates. In 2016, Krok takes over for Swindle at left tackle, while Young redshirts. Then Krok hangs onto the starting job on the left side in 2017. At some point after that, Young might win the left tackle job, and force Krok over to the right side. Regardless where GAA plays in 2015, I think he will play the bulk of his career as our starting right guard.

This kid will be a star for our team from the time he breaks the starting lineup. He has all of the tools. I'm elated that he will be a Wildcat!!

His twitter makes it sound like he is shutting down recruiting and sticking with UK. Now he and drake can spend all their time recruiting for us.

His twitter makes it sound like he is shutting down recruiting and sticking with UK. Now he and drake can spend all their time recruiting for us.
---
Which probably means he drops to a 3* in about 5 minutes......Seriously, that's a great re-confirmation for the Cats, I always like lineman that play other sports in high school. He's a relatively lean 298, so he's got lots of room on that frame to add needed weight. CMS is putting together a really nice looking OL, plus I just read where some scout said he thought Kordell Looney was the best DT in Ohio. CMS knows a little something about building defenses, too!

Spica Orbit

ADVERTISEMENT