ADVERTISEMENT

KSR says...

Rocket Man
sch-720111800.jpg

Late posts on the "UAB replacement" topic below mentioned this, undoubtedly where Jones got his info.[/QUOTE
Late posts on the "UAB replacement" topic below mentioned this, undoubtedly where Jones got his info.

Possibly got a lead, but the UK fans on here that say Matt gets ALL his info from here are insane. He is THE inside guy that UK uses to leak things...everyone can have an opinion/preference but to ignore that is just ignorant...

Late posts on the "UAB replacement" topic below mentioned this, undoubtedly where Jones got his info.

There are two ways items appear on boards such as this. One, and far and away the most common, the information is completely fabricated. Two, the information, if it is that, was repeated from other sources. I do not get the hostility toward Jones. Even if what you say is true, he is simply better at what everyone else is doing.

I think Matt Jones is the best. Don't understand the hostility toward him either. Funny, entertaining, knowledgeable . Perfect for what he is doing.

I simply don't get how people don't get what other people say is not based on somebody else's experience. :)

Anybody (Jones for instance) that says he cannot understand the advantage of RS'ing players on a football team doesn't know squat about football.

Jones rooted for Kansas over Memphis because he said Cal was a cheater. He also slobbers over Dick Vitale.

I think Matt Jones is the best. Don't understand the hostility toward him either. Funny, entertaining, knowledgeable . Perfect for what he is doing.

A lot of people, myself included, think he knows next to nothing as far as football is concerned. He's all of those things but with basketball. Compare Jones to Freddie Maggard or even Oscar Combs. Not even close.

Reactions: Levibooty
A lot of people, myself included, think he knows next to nothing as far as football is concerned. He's all of those things but with basketball. Compare Jones to Freddie Maggard or even Oscar Combs. Not even close.
That's why he has hired Freddie Maggard to write for KSR and make some appearances on his radio show

Reactions: JPFisher
MJ and I have our differences -especially about fb-and have had a few go arounds on the radio over it, but all in all he has been GREAT for the marketing of UK sports in general across the state and even nationally to some degree, and believe you me the folks at UL HATE HIM WITH A PASSION, but his ratings are by far the highest in this area and $$$$$$$ talks and BS walks...Hell, UL has even tried to have their own "Matt Jones" and he is failing miserably;):p:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: kyisinmyblood
d

I'll say this about Matt he is living his life and loving every minute of it! Truly loves UK and has interesting info most of the time not only in Basketball but the Football part is going to explode also. I think hiring Freddy Maggart is awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluemist
People aren't going to like this but it's true of most all of us....
The fact that MJ is so successful says more about his listening audience that it does MJ....
Do Kentuckians spend way too much time thinking and talking about basketball? Yes...
Is that part of what makes b-ball so BIG in KY? Yes
So.... He's not invented the wheel...........
Matt has discovered the same thing Oscar Combs did... KY fans of the two major sports will suck up KY drivel like a camel sucking water at the oasis...
He just uses an updated venue.... But I'll be damned if I give him credit for being funny!... Funny he's not!

I would not call Toledo exactly a scheduled win. The Rockets play some good football.
and usually has good coaches that move up to better positions. The Cats will need to play well to beat Toledo.

I don't think they will ever play at Toledo. We may play a game with Toledo as the "home" team, but have the game at Ford Field or Paul Brown Stadium. Also, we were supposed to play at Akron a few years ago and we bought out of that game, so I hear that the MAC is going to make it hard for Kentucky to back out if this series comes to fruition.

Okay, I may have accepted Jones knows nothing, etc. But, suggesting that Oscar Combs is knowledgeable about football is a conversation killer. Actually, Oscar is a very talented teller of stories and an astute businessman. He is not knowledgeable about the playing of either football or basketball. He is a life time UK fan who can talk about UK history, players, etc., until the end of time. But, if Oscar can tell you what defense UK is using in any game situation I will apologize in front of CWS.

Reactions: robo222
I don't think they will ever play at Toledo. We may play a game with Toledo as the "home" team, but have the game at Ford Field or Paul Brown Stadium. Also, we were supposed to play at Akron a few years ago and we bought out of that game, so I hear that the MAC is going to make it hard for Kentucky to back out if this series comes to fruition.

I think we would play at Toledo, a 2 for 1 is just that. Missouri played there this year, and won, it is not a mickey mouse program that many think it is. They have a lot of winning tradition at Toledo, moving the game to Detroit could happen, but we would not bring that many fans up there.

Okay, I may have accepted Jones knows nothing, etc. But, suggesting that Oscar Combs is knowledgeable about football is a conversation killer. Actually, Oscar is a very talented teller of stories and an astute businessman. He is not knowledgeable about the playing of either football or basketball. He is a life time UK fan who can talk about UK history, players, etc., until the end of time. But, if Oscar can tell you what defense UK is using in any game situation I will apologize in front of CWS.

Read it again and come back. It's all relative. If anything, you just accentuated my point.

If the Toledo game is scheduled I believe it should be a win for the Cats even though Toledo can play good football

And we don't wanna forget his hit record... "CWS is falling down, falling down"... I sing a few bars of that one whenever I see pic's of the stadium.
He does spin a great yarn... I take a shot at both of these guys on occasion... The best thing about them is they have thick skin... Whenever you put as much into print or open your mouth over a mic daily, a person is doomed to say something wrong, bad, or controversial.... At best they are a couple of very successful business men and at worst just a couple of guys talking UK $hiz...... Me like and support FHAZCat's post:)

What a terrific reply. I agreed with you? Come on. Even Oscar could have done better.

The way you worded your first response was weird. Sounded like you were trying to imply that I had said Combs was knowledgable.

You said, "Suggesting that Oscar Combs is knowledgable about football is a conversation killer." Thus, it sounded like you thought I was touting that.

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT