ADVERTISEMENT

KSR keeps hinting a Front Court player will still be added..

So, I'll take that as a 'No.'

Look, I'm no critic. I don't even live in the area, and have never listened to his show. It may be great entertainment. I can't say. But he has duped some people into believing he is "in-the-loop' as the poster to whom I was responding said.

Yet, I've never seen him come up with a piece of credible information over the past several years -- never. And no one responding here can cite an example to refute that charge. (What I mean by credible information is if he'd posted a couple hours ahead of time 'Jamal Murray will be a Cat.' Or 'Jaylen Brown has turned down Kentucky.' He has NEVER had a clear win on a piece of recruiting news.)

so when he writes that all signs points to skal or james young to uk....or that uk is in great shape with the twins...thats not good enough for you?

what you want...you will never get...because that is not how this works. and unfortunately...folks like yourself will just never understand that. because in the end...you think its about you.

I have no idea where you get the 'it's about you' comment. But to answer your question; No, that stuff is as meaningless as the Psychic Hotline. The tea-leaves-reading generalities he comes up with are floating around out there and he's usually riding the conventional wisdom, or piggy-backing on a tweet from a real recruiting expert. That's easy to do if you have the time to monitor all the chatter on the internet. He was very negative about the Cats' chances with Jamal Murray in the last couple days before he signed for example -- because the conventional wisdom had shifted and he shifted with it, as per usual.

By the way, no need to make this personal. I have no dog in the fight on whether it is a worthwhile show. I've never heard it. I just find the sycophants and suck-ups who buy in to the carny barker routine and believe he actually has some sort of access amusing.

he is going to peach jam and is going to be around coaches, recruits, parents, and scouts....you dont consider any of that....access?

Reactions: yoshukai

Look, I'm no critic. I don't even live in the area, and have never listened to his show. It may be great entertainment. I can't say. But he has duped some people into believing he is "in-the-loop' as the poster to whom I was responding said.

Yet, I've never seen him come up with a piece of credible information over the past several years -- never. And no one responding here can cite an example to refute that charge. (What I mean by credible information is if he'd posted a couple hours ahead of time 'Jamal Murray will be a Cat.' Or 'Jaylen Brown has turned down Kentucky.' He has NEVER had a clear win on a piece of recruiting news.)

Who is providing that?

Do you follow him on Twitter? Because you said you have never listened to his show, so how would you know if he has ever had that info? And even if you do, I believe he's had a show longer than he's been tweeting. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard him state categorically that we are getting anyone based on insider info. He's usually vague, which is good for not revealing sources or putting your neck out there, but if you are only going to go so far, why do it at all is my thinking.

I have no idea where you get the 'it's about you' comment. But to answer your question; No, that stuff is as meaningless as the Psychic Hotline. The tea-leaves-reading generalities he comes up with are floating around out there and he's usually riding the conventional wisdom, or piggy-backing on a tweet from a real recruiting expert. That's easy to do if you have the time to monitor all the chatter on the internet. He was very negative about the Cats' chances with Jamal Murray in the last couple days before he signed for example -- because the conventional wisdom had shifted and he shifted with it, as per usual.

By the way, no need to make this personal. I have no dog in the fight on whether it is a worthwhile show. I've never heard it. I just find the sycophants and suck-ups who buy in to the carny barker routine and believe he actually has some sort of access amusing.

LOL, you say let's not make this personal than call people sycophants ans suck-ups.

Reactions: jarms24
I thought Obekpa would be eligible right away??? I would love to have him for a year. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be a senior. He's a big time shot blocker and a excellent rebounder. And I think he's 6'10. He would be a perfect compliment to what we already have in the frontcourt. Plus he'd probably score more here because of all the lobs he'd get. Skal, Obekpa, Lee, and Poy would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Wilford Brimley

LOL!!! You remember Wilfred Brimley's character on Family Guy? Where he was at the teen choice awards and pulled out a shotgun and started shooting everybody? LMAO. He said its entirely too loud in here. I'll put a stop to this. LOL... I have dia-beat-is. LMAO.

" got upset and struck my wife but my wife has been dead for years, who in the hell did I hit?" -Wilford Brimley (Family Guy)

The kid they are hinting about is Gunner McClintock.....younger brother of Hunter.

I thought Obekpa would be eligible right away??? I would love to ass him for a year. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be a senior. He's a big time shot blocker and a excellent rebounder. And I think he's 6'10. He would be a perfect compliment to what we already have in the frontcourt. Plus he'd probably score more here because of all the lobs he'd get. Skal, Obekpa, Lee, and Poy would be pretty awesome.

IIRC, did he not have some issues with failed drug tests at St John's?

Darryl

Can you cite one example during the entire recruiting season stretching back to early April, where Jones knew ANYTHING about where a top recruit was going before it came out elsewhere? Because I can't. There are posters on this board, including Dave Kersey, who knew or appeared to know much more about Jamal Murray, for example. If the answer is no, then you can hardly characterize him as in the loop.
^So true^

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
I see nothing;I hear nothing and I know nothing-just born a red necked eastern Ky uk BB fan!

^So true^

Matt knows nothing about any recruits and never has any information...you know how I know? Because I never listen to his show...thats how I know he has never said anything correct! You suck-ups and sycophants that judge his show and info based on actually listening to it are such idiots. I know much more about that carny barker because, having never heard anything he has said on there, I know he has no access.

Matt Jones is a goober head!!!

Nobody has mentioned yet that Matt Jones knows less than the average poster on this board. He can float this idea around to get people to listen, but he can't produce an actual name because he is making it up. I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone listens to Jones or takes stock in anything that he says. He is a nerd who knows nothing about the game of basketball. He's nothing more than an attention seeker.

False.

Can you cite one example during the entire recruiting season stretching back to early April, where Jones knew ANYTHING about where a top recruit was going before it came out elsewhere? Because I can't. There are posters on this board, including Dave Kersey, who knew or appeared to know much more about Jamal Murray, for example. If the answer is no, then you can hardly characterize him as in the loop.

I don't know how (or why) people who don't actually listen to what Jones says on his show can dispute what he says (or what he doesn't say, but is often charged with saying anyway).

I don't care enough to go recruit by recruit, but if you're looking for specific examples of Matt making statements on recruits which turned out to be accurate while also going against conventional wisdom (which is the only evidence one can offer of insider information since predictions that match public sentiment apparently don't count), there are a couple of recent examples that come quickly to mind. When nearly all of the recruiting experts and internet speculation had Julius Randle pegged for Kansas, Matt was steadfast in his assertion that his source never waivered in his confidence that Julius was headed to Lexington. When I and many other fans and national recruiting experts were still believing that we'd end up with some combination of two or three guys among Newman, Zimmerman, Diallo, Ingram, and Brown this spring, Jones was the first that I heard say publicly that there was a very good chance that we might not end up with any of them.

Matt knows nothing about any recruits and never has any information...you know how I know? Because I never listen to his show...thats how I know he has never said anything correct! You suck-ups and sycophants that judge his show and info based on actually listening to it are such idiots. I know much more about that carny barker because, having never heard anything he has said on there, I know he has no access.

Matt Jones is a goober head!!!

You caught that too, eh Matt? I don't listen to show.. Show sucks and never has any information on recruits... WTF???

64748874540176763f3401ef4612080458b17736ca913603ae71c23a694543b6.jpg

Here's the thing about Matt Jones that some of you may not understand. He receives information that is likely off the record. All media members do. They all hear things, get told things so they are ready to pounce on it, if it does come to fruition. Now Jones has a radio show so he can hint at things. It doesn't mean that it will come to fruition but it's an option the staff is obviously exploring.

Just like the Stoops' OC hire. I'm sure coaches and admins knew who Stoops wanted. Most, if not all head coaches have a list ready of guys in case they lose a coordinator. That name I'm sure was told to Jones. I forget who it was, but it certainly at the time wasn't Dawson and it didn't work out and UK got Dawson instead. That's business and that's what happens in the Media with off the record stuff. You can say it, you just can't say who said it, or if it's a definite. That's what gets you in trouble.

Problem here is so many people take what Matt Jones says as Gospel. "We may not be done,it's possible we add a front court guy" turns into "We're adding a front court guy. Who is it?" Then you want to hammer him when it doesn't work out. Come on. You want to bang on the guy bc he doesn't have recruiting insider info. Think this past year, no one did with this class. Recruiting guys readily admitted it. Dave Kersey took a gut feeling, so did Matt Jones. 50/50 shot and Jones guessed wrong. I have issues with Jones and his show sometimes, but I'm 100% in his corner on this one. I used to work in the sports media so I know what happens behind the curtain. Jones is saying and doing nothing wrong here.

Reactions: BurpinTurpin
Just off the top of my head, he called Isaiah Briscoe and James Young to UK. It's hard for me to remember for sure, but I know that he never speaks in absolutes if he doesn't know (Murray), but on others I have gotten the impression that he knew something based on his confidence level.

On a side note, you're basically saying that he has never accurately predicted where a recruit would go without it first leaking elsewhere, while claiming that you've never listened to his show. How would you know?

Reactions: Mike-D
Here is the only hint I can give you. He is a big man who plays in the front court and UK has showed interest late in the game. He may or may not play at UK. If he does come to UK I will let you know if it is who I am hearing it is.

Reactions: jgraf_1
Here is the only hint I can give you. He is a big man who plays in the front court and UK has showed interest late in the game. He may or may not play at UK. If he does come to UK I will let you know if it is who I am hearing it is.

#maggard

Again today, Matt strongly and obviously hinted that a big might be added. I didn't hear yesterday's show, but today he sounded like he was pretty confident it would happen.

Matt Jones for the 2nd consecutive day has brought up the possibility of adding another big to the roster, not named Tai. Who could it be? I would love to add a big but have no clue who it could be at this point. Thoughts?

Again today, Matt strongly and obviously hinted that a big might be added. I didn't hear yesterday's show, but today he sounded like he was pretty confident it would happen.

I still have a buzz from the Murray commitment and the excitement that added to the upcoming season... so, this possible recruit will just be gravy, at this point. Who knows... maybe it's a kid with some meat on his bones, so the guys will get some practice going up against that?

I think Matt is trolling. There's only one major transfer big left out there. That's the kid from St. Johns. Only a handful of bigs I saw on that list would even warrant a call from Cal. As far as high school guys, everyone from '15 is sowed up and I don't see anyone from '16 willing or able to re-class this late in the game. The only logical explanation is Tai but they seem to debunk that everytime.

I think Matt is trolling. There's only one major transfer big left out there. That's the kid from St. Johns. Only a handful of bigs I saw on that list would even warrant a call from Cal. As far as high school guys, everyone from '15 is sowed up and I don't see anyone from '16 willing or able to re-class this late in the game. The only logical explanation is Tai but they seem to debunk that everytime.
That is certainly possible. I don't think there is anyone out there that would really move the needle unless it is a 2016 kid looking to reclassify. And if that is the case, it's getting really late in the game and they have kept it pretty well under wraps.

Waffling so he's right either way is yet another tactic Matt has borrowed from Maggard.

Just to recklessly toss out names...

With the Nichols transfer and the drama at Memphis and pressure on Pastner, maybe Dedric Lawson and KJ Lawson are looking for a landing spot soon? Might explain why it all has to stay quiet. We would have room for both. Highly doubt that's the case, since that would be two guys, but Dedric is a big and the whole Lawson situation makes something insane like that possible for them. Or if not them, maybe Nick Marshall?

Maybe Lydon or Diange at Syracuse? With scholarship limits coming, maybe one of those guys is encouraged to look elsewhere?

Did Kev Hayes sign at Florida? There was lots of talk about transfers from there when Donovan left, but his name didn't come up.

Can't think of any other 2015 bigs that could potentially end up somewhere else, and if it isn't Maker or Papagiannis and Wynyard doesn't count as what Matt means, then I don't know who else would be worth adding.

Ultimately, I think this is another Kadeem Jack situation.

ADVERTISEMENT