ADVERTISEMENT

KSR keeps hinting a Front Court player will still be added..

Feb 6, 2006
but Matt doesn't expound on it. He's not talking about Tai Wynyard who could be added in December. Apparently its not Georgios Papagiannis but I do find it curious he said he would be announcing and then didn't. I don't think its Thon Maker but i dont know who else it could be in the class of 2015 unless its another foreign big man.

Last edited:
What about the four star big who was mentioned back in April? Did that kid ever commit anywhere?

Matt said last week he does not think we are still recruiting Thon Maker and that he would be surprised if he ended up here.

I don't think all of the potential transfers from other schools have shaken out yet... maybe that's what MJ means.

Austin Nichols from Memphis?? His dad just said he is transfering. But he would have to sit a yr, no?? Idk but he is potentially good front court depth

Nobody has mentioned yet that Matt Jones knows less than the average poster on this board. He can float this idea around to get people to listen, but he can't produce an actual name because he is making it up. I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone listens to Jones or takes stock in anything that he says. He is a nerd who knows nothing about the game of basketball. He's nothing more than an attention seeker.

Nobody has mentioned yet that Matt Jones knows less than the average poster on this board. He can float this idea around to get people to listen, but he can't produce an actual name because he is making it up. I just can't understand for the life of me why anyone listens to Jones or takes stock in anything that he says. He is a nerd who knows nothing about the game of basketball. He's nothing more than an attention seeker.
Of course he knows some things that the average fan doesn't. Whether you like him or not does not change the fact that he has access to people surrounding the UK program that the normal fan does not.

Now, whether or not he knows something specific about a possible addition to the roster is debatable. Even he admits that his knowledge on recruiting is basically second hand and that Cal and the staff are pretty tight lipped about recruiting.

Reactions: Jkwo
Matt said last week he does not think we are still recruiting Thon Maker and that he would be surprised if he ended up here.
Right. I am not a KSR reader. But my understanding is that KSR has said multiple times Maker and Papagiannis will not play for Kentucky. Maybe they are right, maybe not. I have no idea who else might come, and I am skeptical about anything MJ says. But it would make sense for Calipari to add another big to next year's team. I am in the minority that believes Wynyard will stay in the 2016 class. The only vulnerability for our team will be Labissiere getting into foul trouble against teams with good baseline players, and I do not believe Lee will always be an automatic answer to that problem. Lee himself is very vulnerable to foul trouble, especially when guarding larger players. Bringing in 1 more decent big might save us in a couple of games.

Of course he knows some things that the average fan doesn't. Whether you like him or not does not change the fact that he has access to people surrounding the UK program that the normal fan does not.

Now, whether or not he knows something specific about a possible addition to the roster is debatable. Even he admits that his knowledge on recruiting is basically second hand and that Cal and the staff are pretty tight lipped about recruiting.

Matt Jones definitely has a source on UK happenings but I think he throws things against the wall sometimes for the sake of keeping the BBN engaged.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
You forgot to mention that he graduated from Duke law school, so how could he be a real UK fan.

Reactions: jameslee32
Are you sure of what you are saying? What access does he have? As you probably know, it is a violation of NCAA rules for anyone connected with Kentucky's basketball program to discuss unsigned players by name with MJ or anyone else. MJ turns out to be wrong about such things an awful lot for someone with connections. To be fair, people with real connections can be wrong sometimes, because athletes are no more reliable than anyone else. But how much of what gets posted on KSR is solid? Based on that, and forgetting the hype, it's not an easy case to defend.

Are you sure of what you are saying? What access does he have? As you probably know, it is a violation of NCAA rules for anyone connected with Kentucky's basketball program to discuss unsigned players by name with MJ or anyone else. MJ turns out to be wrong about such things an awful lot for someone with connections. To be fair, people with real connections can be wrong sometimes, because athletes are no more reliable than anyone else. But how much of what gets posted on KSR is solid? Based on that, and forgetting the hype, it's not an easy case to defend.
Coaches talk to people all the time... off the record. Sure it's a violation, but it's not one that the NCAA has ever really enforced. Besides there are ways to indirectly refer to a player without actually saying their name. On the football side Coach Stoops recently tweeted out a Yahtzee with in an icon of a bag of money after Kash Daniel committed. Obviously referring to his name Kash (cash, get it?). Coaches can confirm they are recruiting a specific player, generally they won't say anything on the record still just to avoid being drawn into a public comment on a recruit. But privately they could say something like we are recruiting Kobi Simmons, followed by we think we will be landing our future point guard real soon.

If you want to deny that Matt Jones has access to the UK Basketball program then keep leading that failed campaign. I probably couldn't list all of his connections. He has had all of the assistant coaches on his show. John Calipari regularly appears on his show. He hosts the pregame and post-game shows. He is close with Mike Pratt, Tom Leach, Dave Baker, Oscar Combs, and the list probably goes on.

I get that a lot of people don't like him. He says some things that really make me scratch my head. But to say he doesn't have contacts is just crazy.

The guy is a part of the pre and post game broadcasts for UK basketball. He is tight with guys like Mike Pratt and clearly has access that the average fan can only dream of having. Not sure how that doesn't equate to him having more access than the rest of us?

Also, I don't think the NCAA has a rule prohibiting a coach mentioning a recruit in a private, not for public consumption conversation. How else would anyone get any information about the status of a UK recruit from the UK staff's perspective if they never let any of that leak outside of the staff?

As for Matt's information in general, I tend to put little credence into his tidbits about potential FUTURE news that he presents with very vague details. It seems like they almost never really come true and he ends up explaining why it didn't unfold seemingly more often than why it actually did. This is usually related to recruiting and there is simply no human being that is able to feed fans a constant stream of "accurate" information on that subject. What might be true to a coaching staff might not be true to the player themselves, so I feel that I should always be skeptical of that information.

However, his access does allow him to give behind the scenes detail on something that HAS ALREADY HAPPENED.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
Matt seemed really B!tchy today. He smarted off to Ryan a few times, and there was some really awkward silence from the crowd when he did. Had to make him feel uncomfortable. I was even cringing, and turned the sound down a few seconds after it happened LOL. And why does he talk so loud?

That's bull crap. Nobody is in the loop more than Jones these days . Either you don't know what you are talking about or you have some sort of vendetta against Jones . Whether you like him or not , statements like yours are foolish .

Matt seemed really B!tchy today. He smarted off to Ryan a few times, and there was some really awkward silence from the crowd when he did. Had to make him feel uncomfortable. I was even cringing, and turned the sound down a few seconds after it happened LOL. And why does he talk so loud?

Like most people who talk loud, he loves to hear himself speak.

Reactions: JohnnyinShelbyville
That's bull crap. Nobody is in the loop more than Jones these days . Either you don't know what you are talking about or you have some sort of vendetta against Jones . Whether you like him or not , statements like yours are foolish .

Like it or not Jones has major inside sources in the basketball program.

Reactions: yoshukai

Reeks of jealousy. Don't like him, don't listen. Why do you care if others do?

Thon Maker is not playing college basketball this upcoming season. I swear some of you guy must only come to this board and not use the internet for anything else.

Can you cite one example during the entire recruiting season stretching back to early April, where Jones knew ANYTHING about where a top recruit was going before it came out elsewhere? Because I can't. There are posters on this board, including Dave Kersey, who knew or appeared to know much more about Jamal Murray, for example. If the answer is no, then you can hardly characterize him as in the loop.

this response reminds me of when UL fans would bash Cal for not graduating players at UK....after his 2nd season at UK.

going back to april you want tons of recruiting news...come on man....there wasnt any. and for the kids that were still deciding...it was pretty obvious where they were going. what news do you want?

i'm not saying Jones is an expert on recruiting. but to say posters here know as much if not more is laughable. 99.9% of the folks here are really clueless. they read "tea leaves". whatever the hell that means.

jones talks to people inside UK regularly and will be at the peach jam this week. that alone gives him an edge over basically everyone here.

Jones has pretty good acess to the basketball program, but he will tell you he doesn't know much when it comes to recruiting. Recruiting is very tough to determine. All the insiders at 247 and elsewhere had Murray to Oregon. Doesn't mean they have bad connections, it just means some recruitments are so tight lipped that it leads most to just guess.

Reactions: jarms24
MJ definitely knows more than your "average' RR poster...to argue otherwise is stupid. Does he know more than everyone? I doubt that, but I doubt redneck Joe from eastern KY on here knows as much about some insider stuff as MJ (not necessarily recruiting inside stuff but overall inside UK basketball).

this response reminds me of when UL fans would bash Cal for not graduating players at UK....after his 2nd season at UK.

going back to april you want tons of recruiting news...come on man....there wasnt any. and for the kids that were still deciding...it was pretty obvious where they were going. what news do you want?

i'm not saying Jones is an expert on recruiting. but to say posters here know as much if not more is laughable. 99.9% of the folks here are really clueless. they read "tea leaves". whatever the hell that means.

jones talks to people inside UK regularly and will be at the peach jam this week. that alone gives him an edge over basically everyone here.
So, I'll take that as a 'No.'

Look, I'm no critic. I don't even live in the area, and have never listened to his show. It may be great entertainment. I can't say. But he has duped some people into believing he is "in-the-loop' as the poster to whom I was responding said.

Yet, I've never seen him come up with a piece of credible information over the past several years -- never. And no one responding here can cite an example to refute that charge. (What I mean by credible information is if he'd posted a couple hours ahead of time 'Jamal Murray will be a Cat.' Or 'Jaylen Brown has turned down Kentucky.' He has NEVER had a clear win on a piece of recruiting news.)

He know a lot more than you think he does. I can see you don't like him but he is in with Kentucky big time.

ADVERTISEMENT