ADVERTISEMENT

KSR hearing Mulder

Mulder is 6'5 and was hitting 46% from 3 and his head coach talked about how athletic Mulder was at Vincennes. This years team will be complete opposite from last years team where all players were 6'5 and taller and Ulis & Hawkins were the only players under 6 foot. This year with Skai at 6'11, Lee 6'9, and Poy 6'8 is the 3 we have underneath next year. Last year before Poy was injured we had six men underneath that were 6'9 to 7 foot tall. This year we will have six players at the 1,2, or 3 positions with Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray starting and then you have Hawkins, Mulder, and Matthews coming off the bench. This team will be exciting to watch next year and by March Madness we will be ready once again for another run at the Final four and National Championship.

6'3, 6'4, 6'5, who cares? Like Charles Barkley once said (of his height) "if you can play, you can play"

I remember Vinnie Johnson of the Pistons - 6'2 or so SG who could score on anyone.

Cal likes his bigs, he said so the other day.

So I think he'll start two of Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray along with Poy, Lee, and Labissiere.

In the end, it's going to be hard to keep all three of those guards off the floor. We will see them together a lot, IMHO.

What? Young was an excellent passer! What are you smoking?

LOL! Who was it that listed him as a great passer before the draft? Can't remember who it was but he went on ESPN and said Young was an excellent passer. I about fell out of my chair! Its hard to imagine a worse passer at his level than Young. Its a good thing he does other things well cause passing is not his cup of tea. Lol
I remember that. Wasn't it Chad Ford?

He was a bad passer (I give him a pass on defense with the rules changing throughout the season)... but we don't win the Wichita State game without him.
That's a good point. Luckily we won't have to rely on Mulder in the same capacity.

Cal likes his bigs, he said so the other day.

So I think he'll start two of Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray along with Poy, Lee, and Labissiere.

In the end, it's going to be hard to keep all three of those guards off the floor. We will see them together a lot, IMHO.
Cal is our best coach since Rupp. That said, if he starts Poythress at the 3, I will drive from my home in West Virginia to Lexington, Ky and kick him in the balls.

Cal is our best coach since Rupp. That said, if he starts Poythress at the 3, I will drive from my home in West Virginia to Lexington, Ky and kick him in the balls.

Poythress held opposing players to 12.8% from the field playing as a small forward last season (before his injury).
Leave Cal's balls alone. They haven't done anything wrong.

Poythress held opposing players to 12.8% from the field playing as a small forward last season (before his injury).
Leave Cal's balls alone. They haven't done anything wrong.
He could do the same on defense to opposing 4's next year and not be totally useless on offense.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
This ain't Vincennes. Love hearing this positive news but I'll be more convinced when we see him tear it up during actual games.

Kind of weary on running our 3 big men at once (not including Willis). Early foul trouble could mean a field day for larger teams. We don't have the depth there.

Just don't see how we can run Poy at the 3, out of position no less, with this squad. Last year? Sure. But for now I'd like to see 3 guard lineups to start and maybe run with 3 big later on in the half.

I'm not saying this info is incorrect, and I have been a big fan of Mulder coming here, but I never put much stock in these reports. Happens every summer at every school. So and so is lighting it up in the scrimmages, Player X is shocking coaches with his improvements, etc. Sometimes it happens, but probably more often than not, it's just optimistic spin, which is fine. It's better than the alternative I guess.

Agree big time

Kind of weary on running our 3 big men at once (not including Willis). Early foul trouble could mean a field day for larger teams. We don't have the depth there.

Just don't see how we can run Poy at the 3, out of position no less, with this squad. Last year? Sure. But for now I'd like to see 3 guard lineups to start and maybe run with 3 big later on in the half.

This might be why Coach is looking into signing the Greek kid.

Reactions: brianpoe
As I've been saying lots of UK fans are setting themselves up for a great surprise this year. This team is going to be deadly, and under appreciated. Cal is going to have a great time this year playing his "us against the world" card. I can't wait.

Please, keep doubting this team. Keep saying they can't be as good as '15. Let's just keep it going. Keep it up.:pimp::okay:[smoke]

He was a bad passer (I give him a pass on defense with the rules changing throughout the season)... but we don't win the Wichita State game without him.

He must have taken the "new" rules to heart cause he just let guys go right by him. Honestly, I don't think those freedom of movement additions effected him at all. He just wasn't good defensively. That was the main reason that I felt he needed to return for his sophomore yea, that and his passing. If he doesn't improve on those things, he will have a short NBA career. Too many players like him out there that can pass and play defense.

Young's, passing and defense were terrible and his ball handling suspect.

The reason he was as good as he was is because he was super athletic and had a knack for willing his way to tough baskets.

It was rarely pretty but he just kept finding ways to score.

If he hadn't slipped in that last Florida game I have no doubt he would have scored there too and won the game.

With Mulder what I'm curious about is how a likely reduction in minutes, tempo and shots will effect his rhythm.

Most of the better juco's play at a pretty break neck tempo(insert fast paste joke), and from what I've read Vincennes liked to get up and down too. Open shots are easier to come by in that style if you can force teams to play at your pace.

Hopefully he can adjust quickly.

Just a couple years ago James Young was all the talk during the summer. He ended up being a poor passer, a bad defender, and an inconsistent high volume shooter. Taking this with a grain of salt.

He helped take us to the title game didn't he? But yes, he was a terrible passer.

He helped take us to the title game didn't he? But yes, he was a terrible passer.
Dominique Hawkins helped take us to the same title game, but I don't want to put all my eggs in that basket. I like Young. I was thrilled he chose UK. At the same time, he's not above criticism. He couldn't pass or defend, and he was too damn streaky to be considered a good shooter. MOF, his best attribute was probably his shooting motion. Other than that, he wasn't a hell of a lot better than Aaron Harrison.

Just a couple years ago James Young was all the talk during the summer. He ended up being a poor passer, a bad defender, and an inconsistent high volume shooter. Taking this with a grain of salt.

And clutch as all hell and a tremendous scorer (not to mention our most consistent scorer) who ended up being a 1st round draft pick.

Dominique Hawkins helped take us to the same title game, but I don't want to put all my eggs in that basket. I like Young. I was thrilled he chose UK. At the same time, he's not above criticism. He couldn't pass or defend, and he was too damn streaky to be considered a good shooter. MOF, his best attribute was probably his shooting motion. Other than that, he wasn't a hell of a lot better than Aaron Harrison.
Hawkins wasn't selected to All SEC second team,SEC all freshman team, or All final four team like Young was. James Young kept us in that title game.

One thing that sticks out to me about Mulder is that when he played at Vincennes, in other words, a home game, he shot the ball extremely well. Over 46% from deep (30 of 65). But in the ten away games he shot 12.5% (3 of 24). So, I assume that means he can be a streaky shooter and needs to feel comfortable with the setting. Any of you guys that have played can understand that on some days something is just not right and the confidence goes bye-bye. But, to be fair, he nursed an injury In December and the first part of January, during which time he only shot 7 of 29 from deep. His minutes on the court were limited due to him only being able to go at 50%.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he is not a prolific scorer.......just a good scorer who doesn't force but takes what comes to him.

One other thing about Charles Matthews. He'll really need to work on his handle. It is turnover prone. Other aspects of his game are fine, but the handle, whoa!

EDIT: Mulder's stats above are from his freshman year. Sorry about that, but here is his soph year:
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/players/mychalmulder2hru

One other stat on Mulder: he fouled out of 7 games in his two year career.

Last edited:
You guys crack me up about James Young. The Celtics thought he was a pretty good player, he is sleeping on hundred dollar bills. He was also fearless and super clutch and Aaron Harrison would not have been in position to hit those threes if Young had not kept us in games early.

Reactions: Uk1111
Young was HUGE against Wichita State, Michigan, Wisconsin and UConn. Kept us in the title game.

He had his flaws and was maddening at times (on D, passing the ball, etc) but the kid had a sack.

Reactions: hotelblue
With Mulder what I'm curious about is how a likely reduction in minutes, tempo and shots will effect his rhythm.

Most of the better juco's play at a pretty break neck tempo(insert fast paste joke), and from what I've read Vincennes liked to get up and down too. Open shots are easier to come by in that style if you can force teams to play at your pace.

Hopefully he can adjust quickly.

Yeah but if you can shoot, you can shoot. The dude shot 46% from 3, He's got great players around him now, and he's super athletic. He's going to get plenty of open looks, and I do think he'll adjust pretty quickly. But a guy who can shoot that good, and that's as athletic as he is, is going to be alright.

James Young was good! Nobody said he wasn't. He played a major roll on us getting to the championship game, But we were all expecting a more polished player, who as a way more consistent shooter!

One thing that sticks out to me about Mulder is that when he played at Vincennes, in other words, a home game, he shot the ball extremely well. Over 46% from deep (30 of 65). But in the ten away games he shot 12.5% (3 of 24). So, I assume that means he can be a streaky shooter and needs to feel comfortable with the setting. Any of you guys that have played can understand that on some days something is just not right and the confidence goes bye-bye. But, to be fair, he nursed an injury In December and the first part of January, during which time he only shot 7 of 29 from deep. His minutes on the court were limited due to him only being able to go at 50%.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he is not a prolific scorer.......just a good scorer who doesn't force but takes what comes to him.

One other thing about Charles Matthews. He'll really need to work on his handle. It is turnover prone. Other aspects of his game are fine, but the handle, whoa!

EDIT: Mulder's stats above are from his freshman year. Sorry about that, but here is his soph year:
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/players/mychalmulder2hru

One other stat on Mulder: he fouled out of 7 games in his two year career.

Yeah, I was about to say. That's 37% from 3 his Sophomore year which isn't correct. His percentage was somewhere in the 40's from behind the arc.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we go with Skal, Lee & Poy on the court for the majority of the game together. Clearly we will play some with 3 guards, and some with 3 forwards. The question is the ratio. I think it's a safe (but wide) estimate to say that we play 5-15 mpg with 3 forwards (Skal, Lee, Poy, Willis, Wynard) on the floor together, meaning we play 25-35 mpg with 3 guards on the floor.

How about an all experienced team minus one lineup. PG Ulis, 2G Muldur. SF Poythress, PF Lee, and the one inexperienced Skal at center. Hawkins and Willis reserves.

Yes I do know that that is a most unlikely lineup but like I said this was just for fun speculation.

Yeah I'm not saying Young was a terrible player. He was good in some areas. I just think he couldn't pass, couldn't defend, and was streaky as hell. Bottom line for me ... he didn't live up to expectations after all the hype around him that summer. He was still good and was loaded down with potential, which is probably why Boston drafted him. I don't think it was due to his production at UK, but that's just me.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Don't put too much stock into what Cal said about the starting lineup being fluid. I think most of that statement wasgeared to the players so that they don't get complacent. Yes he did say he likes the bugs, but he also likes Ulis, Murray, and Briscoe. I think that more than any other year, the vast majority of fans would agree that the 3 I just mentioned and Poy and Skal will most likely be the starting line-up.

As I've been saying lots of UK fans are setting themselves up for a great surprise this year. This team is going to be deadly, and under appreciated. Cal is going to have a great time this year playing his "us against the world" card. I can't wait.

Please, keep doubting this team. Keep saying they can't be as good as '15. Let's just keep it going. Keep it up.:pimp::okay:[smoke]

Me personally, with the personalities that we have on this team, and how Poythress and Ulis will be two men on a mission, I think them playing the "us against the world" card will really light a fire under this team.

Going to be a very fun year. Color me excited.

My thoughts exactly. We hear it every single year. We hear......

Pilgram is a beast!
Harrow is amazing!
Willis is playing great!

Especially with shooters! Shooters tend to look really good in practice but its a whole other monster hitting shots with fans in the seats. So, take this all with a grain of salt. We won't much about this team until late December after we have played a few good non conference teams. That will tell us alot
I too take these reports with a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong I love the reports, but back in the Harrow days we were hearing how he was dominating the summer games. I in turn made sure all my friends both Kentucky fans and non Kentucky fans knew how awesome Harrow was going to be. To this day I take flack for drinking that cool aid.

Yeah, I hope we aren't getting stuck with more guys who aren't any better than James Young or even Aaron Harrison.
You missed the entire point. The discussion is about players being over-hyped during the Summer before season began. FWIW, I hope Mulder is a better 3pt shooter than both Harrison and Young.

No, I got the point. Some of you feel entitled to win the NCAA championship every year, and players who are less than perfect and 'only' carry the Cats as far as the Final Four, or the championship game, were 'over-hyped,' and best remembered by the sum of their flaws.

In what world was James Young 'over-hyped?' Was he perfect? No. Was he an important part of an all-freshman starting five that gave Kentucky one of the most memorable seasons in the program's revered history? Hell yes, he was. That's living up to all the hype.

No, you obviously didn't get the point, which is apparent by your nonsensical rambling. I'm not entitled, and I damn sure don't expect to win the championship every year. Stop acting like any UK player is beyond reproach. You don't have to be a homer like 99% of this board. It's okay to point out flaws. I distinctly remember scrimmage reports that were touting Young as potentially being better than any incoming frosh. Some of them even suggested he looked better than Wiggins. That's why I'm saying that you can't go by these casual observations. Nothing more, nothing less. Nobody is saying he was a bad player. People are just saying he didn't live up to the lofty expectations that others placed on him. That isn't his fault. It was probably more sensational journalism and unrealistic fan expectations than anything, but it's exactly what happened and is happening ITT.

I mean, I would go as far as saying Andrew Wiggins was extremely lackluster, compared to the hype surrounding him when he committed to Kansas. Wouldn't you? I was expecting MJ 2.0. That doesn't mean I think he's terrible. I can point out all kinds of flaws with his game. Does that mean he sucks? Of course not.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT