ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Smith a cat

We're building some QUALITY depth on that d-Line..I tell you what..I'll always take a big, athletic d-tackle out of Georgia

Reactions: woodson991
Coach Cal ain't got nothing on Coach Stoops and staff when it comes to recruiting, if you take the relative facilities and tradition of the respective programs into account. I'm floored at the level our football program is recruiting at these days. Outstanding news.

Reactions: 2blue4u
I had really high hopes when Stoops was hired but I never imagined he would be this successful on the recruiting trail. Kudos to Stoops and staff!

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but while we are top 15 now, we will end up around 30 on rivals unless two or three four stars are added. Last year we were 35th with 1515 points. I think we will be at about 1600 points this year based on who we have right now plus another 5.6 or 5.7 added later. We are over the 20 and any more points are earned only if the new commit is higher that your current highest 20th. i.e. Kobe was 90 pts and replaced a 5.2 who was 15 points, so we added 75 points. And yes, I know we may lose commits which will change things. This is just to look ahead barring any losses.

Reactions: 2bunnies
Some of those 3's we have will end up 4's imo plus we'll surely add another 3/4 to replace the 2 that is counting in our rankings. Top 25 at least this year.

Stunning, simply stunning... In the next few years., I will look forward to comparable program games like SC, MSU an ARK as potential wins. All of a sudden, KY will no longer be one of the doormats of the SEC. One day, with this talent infusion, we could easily contend for SEC crown.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but while we are top 15 now, we will end up around 30 on rivals unless two or three four stars are added. Last year we were 35th with 1515 points. I think we will be at about 1600 points this year based on who we have right now plus another 5.6 or 5.7 added later. We are over the 20 and any more points are earned only if the new commit is higher that your current highest 20th. i.e. Kobe was 90 pts and replaced a 5.2 who was 15 points, so we added 75 points. And yes, I know we may lose commits which will change things. This is just to look ahead barring any losses.

Doesn't change the fact that these guys are good players..whether we're ranked 15th or 30th..is it really that big of a difference? Even if you're ranked 30th you're still going to have players that can compete and beat anyone in the nation..it's not like we're going to be dropping from 15th to 60th..honestly I consider a high 3-star guy to basically be a four-star..who cares? As long as our classes are ranked in the 20's or low 30's we can play with and beat anyone in the nation..the recruits aren't that different between a class ranked 15th and 30th..if you have a class ranked in the 20's and are recruiting the right guys for your system and are coaching them up and developing them the right way, you're going to have the players to beat anyone ...look at the offer sheets for these guys..that's what I look at more than star rankings..more often than not we're beating out top programs in the nation for these players

This kid has offers from Tennessee, Arkansas, Miami, Nebraska, Mississippi State and he's only a three-star

Last edited:
Stunning, simply stunning... In the next few years., I will look forward to comparable program games like SC, MSU an ARK as potential wins. All of a sudden, KY will no longer be one of the doormats of the SEC. One day, with this talent infusion, we could easily contend for SEC crown.

Yep. And when you contend for an sec crown you contend for it all

Coach Cal ain't got nothing on Coach Stoops and staff when it comes to recruiting, if you take the relative facilities and tradition of the respective programs into account. I'm floored at the level our football program is recruiting at these days. Outstanding news.

don't forget Mitchell the WBB coach

as an avid UK fan times are great, we have top notch coaches/recruiters in all major sports
only a matter of time before our FB team is competing in the top half of the SEC

as a fanbase we are truly blessed

Great news.
Cat-Applause_zps7de025e4.gif

Man, we are adding some monster D-linemen to this roster! That combined with the much improved OL recruiting is going to make us tough in the trenches, where these games are really won and lost. Soon we are going to have the best OL and DL talent and depth I've ever seen at UK. Thanks to Stoops, the talent gap between us and the rest of the SEC is narrowing significantly.

Pretty much accurate imo. Each added 4* from here will be +4-5 spots from #28-30. Others can decide whether 15th vs. 30th vs. 40th matters.

Pretty much accurate imo. Each added 4* from here will be +4-5 spots from #28-30. Others can decide whether 15th vs. 30th vs. 40th matters.
I don't know. This class on paper looks better than the '14 class and it finished #17. I think quite a few of these guys will get bumped up to high 3*-4*.

It still bothers me to see fans talking about three stars, this prospect is highly recruited and is a 5.7 three star, same as Kash, that everyone is deservedly VERY high on. He replaced a 5.2 on our commit list (points wise) and that same 5.2 (a kicker) is rated a FOUR star on ESPN, a ridiculous discrepancy. The next lowest commit to be replaced (the only remaining two star being counted for points) is only a 5.3, Cross, but most fans and more importantly our coaches think he is much better than that. Also the three latest UK commits committed in July have been a 5.7, Daniel, a 5.9 in Leavitt, and now Smith also a very high three star at a 5.7. Our recruiting is really looking up.

I think some are being remiss, while our coaches are doing a great job and are to be congratulated, Mr Smith has just made a great choice IMO, and I don't think he will be disappointed in our great fans, rising program, great facilities, and great coaches that are bringing in talent they can win with------even in the SEC.

Congratulations young man.

Reactions: jnewc2
i still say you got to be within 20 spots of a team in recruiting to be in a spot to beat them without some gimmick. the top 5 or so are recruiting at another level than every one else and if they coach them up... they are gonna win a title. but i think everyone from 6 to 20 are kinda in the same pool and everyone from 15 to 30 are kinda in the same pool. at that point it's just a matter of coaching them up, hitting on a qb, and getting a couple guys to turn into stars for you.

Really like recent O and D line commits! Kobe looks the part, I'll take them Jawja youngsters all day long!

3 star, 4 star, blah blah blah. Again, underwear olympics and synoptic game film evaluation (highlight film). Scouting companies don't get paid millions
to win games, coaches do and this is why they could care less about star rankings. There isn't a strong correlation between class rankings and success on the field, that is ostensible to the fans.
The talent level of the coaches in terms of coaching, recruiting athletes and player development (I repeat player development) once the kid is on campus is what translates to success on the field (Always has been and always will be no matter what type of dressing you put on it). Nothing gimmicky about that. Programs that have the best coaching minds, S&C staff and facilities will be successful and they in turn will always be the most attractive to 'top' athletes. Fortunately, with top S&C programs being implemented with kids starting in what seems like 5th grade now, there will be plenty of athletes who could be just as good or better than athletes at the traditional powerhouses out there, and an up and coming program like UK that can demonstrate the ability to develop you, give you playing time, provide an education, win games, go to a bowl game and possibly put you in the NFL will be attractive as well.

IMO the recruiting is at the highest level at UK that it has been at since the Curci years back in the seventies. Lets hope we have the same results without the ugliness of probation that we received in that Curci era that took away a chance at winning SEC championships and maybe a NC.

IMO the recruiting is at the highest level at UK that it has been at since the Curci years back in the seventies. Lets hope we have the same results without the ugliness of probation that we received in that Curci era that took away a chance at winning SEC championships and maybe a NC.

I agree this is Fran Curci recruiting revisited. Those were the best of days and some exciting individual players. And I agree on the probation comment, let's keep it clean this time and enjoy some huge victories.

Stars can be kinda stupid. What were his offers? Miami, Arkansas, NC State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, West Virginia... okay sign me up.

Stars can be kinda stupid. What were his offers? Miami, Arkansas, NC State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, West Virginia... okay sign me up.
This. No offense to the Rivals evaluators but I will trust the college coaches whose jobs and millions of dollars salaries are on the line.

3 star, 4 star, blah blah blah. Again, underwear olympics and synoptic game film evaluation (highlight film). Scouting companies don't get paid millions
to win games, coaches do and this is why they could care less about star rankings. There isn't a strong correlation between class rankings and success on the field, that is ostensible to the fans.
The talent level of the coaches in terms of coaching, recruiting athletes and player development (I repeat player development) once the kid is on campus is what translates to success on the field (Always has been and always will be no matter what type of dressing you put on it). Nothing gimmicky about that. Programs that have the best coaching minds, S&C staff and facilities will be successful and they in turn will always be the most attractive to 'top' athletes. Fortunately, with top S&C programs being implemented with kids starting in what seems like 5th grade now, there will be plenty of athletes who could be just as good or better than athletes at the traditional powerhouses out there, and an up and coming program like UK that can demonstrate the ability to develop you, give you playing time, provide an education, win games, go to a bowl game and possibly put you in the NFL will be attractive as well.
You have a perspective that is not shared by a lot of athlete's parents - you look beyond the "name." Stoops' and Marrows' eye(s) for talent is now becoming irrefutable - just look at how many players blow up in offers (and stars) after they get that first offer from UK. I trust their (Stoops' and Marrows') judgment over any website service or fanboy recruiting service.

ADVERTISEMENT