ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Garnett Returning to Timberwolves

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
somebody pointed out he has been in the NBA longer than KAT has been alive.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
Has to be a great experience for Kat. Pretty much going to learn from a guy you have spent your whole life watching

Whats sad is that he's been in the NBA for 20 years and he's only 39 years old. He can essentially retire right now a multi-millionaire, while most of us other 38-39 year old's are looking at nearly another 30 years of working to retire with a measly 250-300K in retirement (if we're lucky).

Reactions: Mike-D
They put KAT's locker right next to Garnett's. Old man will be a fine mentor for the young gun.

"Has to be a great experience for Kat. Pretty much going to learn from a guy you have spent your whole life watching"

...not sure how "good" this will really be for KAT, given Garnett's long established reputation as maybe the biggest a-hole in the NBA.

"Has to be a great experience for Kat. Pretty much going to learn from a guy you have spent your whole life watching"

...not sure how "good" this will really be for KAT, given Garnett's long established reputation as maybe the biggest a-hole in the NBA.
He may be an a hole, but he's respected by everyone and is a tough hard nose work horse who gets it done. Lag is all business on the court. If you want him to give you a five and go out for drinks right after the game then you've picked the wrong dude.

Reactions: CUT-NETS
I think I read somewhere that Kevin Garnett will be the first player in NBA history to play in his teens, 20s, 30s, and 40s. Pretty incredible accomplishment, if true.

Reactions: Mike-D
Whats sad is that he's been in the NBA for 20 years and he's only 39 years old. He can essentially retire right now a multi-millionaire, while most of us other 38-39 year old's are looking at nearly another 30 years of working to retire with a measly 250-300K in retirement (if we're lucky).

250-300k for retirement? Good luck living the rest of your life. You either need a new job, a financial advisor, or both. If you put 500 in an investment account every month for 40 yrs like I'm doing you have 2.5mil waiting for you upon retirement and that's not counting your pension, 401k, and general savings.

250-300k for retirement? Good luck living the rest of your life. You either need a new job, a financial advisor, or both. If you put 500 in an investment account every month for 40 yrs like I'm doing you have 2.5mil waiting for you upon retirement and that's not counting your pension, 401k, and general savings.
anigif_enhanced-9754-1409344312-11.gif

I think KG will make teach him to be tough and physical. Towns was SOFT when he came to UK. And while he came a long way, KG can bring the mean streak out of him.

Love KG's tough, driven, hard as nails approach to the game. I didn't know basketball was a popularity contest? If so, KG may not win it but, neither will UK basketball. So, there's should be some familiar ground there. KAT is a super nice guy and there's nothing wrong with that but, I doubt KG would have lasted as long as he has being Mr. Softy. Hopefully KAT will be willing to learn from the "old man" and last as long in the NBA.

Yeah no way he's an all star year one in the west. Now if he was in the east perhaps, but the west is murders row for point guards and big men. Anthony barely made it his second year and was putting up huge numbers.

Yeah no way he's an all star year one in the west. Now if he was in the east perhaps, but the west is murders row for point guards and big men. Anthony barely made it his second year and was putting up huge numbers.
And he only made it as an alternate, plus the ASG was in New Orleans which helped him as well.

I'm not sure KAT was soft coming to Kentucky as much as he was just young. He thought he knew how to be physical, but most guys that age don't know what it's like to bring it every day because they don't have to.

Regardles, KG is probably the biggest fake tough guy in the history of the league, but he's also an outstanding professional that will be a great teacher. None of the things he's notorious for being obnoxious about will be an issue with KAT, because he's very mature and professional.

Besides, KG went back home for this reason. He isn't hunting a ring anymore. He isn't looking for big minutes. He's here to do exactly this, and he's working with the perfect prospect to mentor as far as style/fit.

I'm not sure KAT was soft coming to Kentucky as much as he was just young. He thought he knew how to be physical, but most guys that age don't know what it's like to bring it every day because they don't have to.

Regardles, KG is probably the biggest fake tough guy in the history of the league, but he's also an outstanding professional that will be a great teacher. None of the things he's notorious for being obnoxious about will be an issue with KAT, because he's very mature and professional.

Besides, KG went back home for this reason. He isn't hunting a ring anymore. He isn't looking for big minutes. He's here to do exactly this, and he's working with the perfect prospect to mentor as far as style/fit.

I think KG is looking to mentor, and then get into coaching or working in the front office. KG loves the game and I can't see him riding off into the sunset away from it. I love KG. He may indeed be a "fake tough guy" but he does it all to get an edge. He's even talked about it in interviews saying "hell yeah Im trying to get an edge out here, my job is to stop you". Love that guy.

Humble brag I feel you

I thought this thread was about KG possibly helping develop KAT? I'm waiting for my man Dave Ramsey's take on the situation lol.

I do like that Garnett is back. Karl is gonna need some guidance. As will all the young immature players on the Wolves.

The all-star game? I loves KAT's potential but even if he puts up 20 and 10 (like our man Cousins) Minnesota would probably have to be near or above .500 IMHO.

Reactions: Nubb16
KG has been my favorite player since I was little, I kept telling myself when he retires I'll watch the nba but have no rooting intrest. But now that he's back in Sota and they drafted Towns guess I gotta get me a Timberwolves jersey. I loved the wolves when KG played his time their. When they had Cassell and Sprewell, they just couldn't get it done.

That team was fun to watch. Until Sprewell threw a monkey wrench in the situation. That 27 million dollar offer just wasn't enough to feed his family.

Humble brag I feel you

Dude just seemed like he needed advice if he thinks 250-300k will get him through retirement. If you figure in inflation that won't get you through 10 years. Im not even old enough to be thinking about retirement, haven't even started my career, but I'll be damned if my last few years are spent laid up in a nursing home poopin the bed with my children footing the bill.

Glad to know you have a "measly" $500 to put away every month. Good for you. Most people don't have that much extra income a month to put away after bills and raising kids. Also, the average American retires with about $250-300K, not saying it is ideal, but it's the truth - but thanks for sharing your $2.5 mil story with everybody. Sounds fascinating.

Reactions: matthend and Nubb16
Dude just seemed like he needed advice if he thinks 250-300k will get him through retirement. If you figure in inflation that won't get you through 10 years. Im not even old enough to be thinking about retirement, haven't even started my career, but I'll be damned if my last few years are spent laid up in a nursing home poopin the bed with my children footing the bill.
Good luck with your plan. It will work exactly as you say - if you are able to make those payments. Problem is life usually throws everyone a curve, you want even see it coming. But it is a plan - and that is something most people don't have - so I give you credit for planning and I hope you reach your goals!

Go Big Blue!

You know who else on message boards touts themselves as have the kind of $$ to throw every month into a retirement account to live a life of luxury after their working years? Zipp.

....just sayin'.

Guys I put a measly 1000$ a month in savings bonds away for when I retire not counting spare and loose change. because I make that big money working from home selling torquoise jewelry. If you want to be a part of this adventure and retire with a cool 10 million in your bank like I will. Mail be a 100$ deposit and call 1-900-FOR-CASH. ask for Nubb.

KG may be an ass, but playing wise, there's no better mentor for Karl - and do you really worry about Karl turning into an ass? C'mon now.

No, KAT is too good a guy for that.... I just hope he doesn't add anything like "Your wife tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios" to his smack talk repertoire....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT