ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. South Carolina

Deeeefense

Aug 22, 2001
Chattanooga
I needed a football hit so I just went back and watched the UK v USC game again from last season and here are a few observations that had slipped my memory:

What really struck me was the high-energy attitude of the players the entire game. It was in stark contrast to some of our later games.

Everyone remembers Kemp and the WildCat in the 4th quarter, but Patrick Towles looked like Aaron Rogers the first half. He was throwing lasers into tight windows on target and some of our receivers were making great catches. He looked pretty good the second half too but missed long on a couple of down-field throws and turned it over once due to poor ball security, a nagging problem he had last year that has reportedly been fixed this year.

Our O-line was giving PT great protection throughout the game - no sacks that I can recall and only a few hurries. When he did get pressure he found his check-down target. Zack West looked especially good

Joey Harrick looked really good on some tough receptions in traffic. I think he was playing sort of a hybrid tight end roll. He is a very physical reviver and somewhat overlooked and unappreciated IMO due to the fact he was a walk-on

Some might remember that AJ Stamp's had a fabulous game changing pick that he returned for 50 yards right before the end of the 1st half to take away a Cock score and set up the Cats for a 47 yard field goal to tie the game. AJ read the QB perfectly and timed his move to slip right in from the would-be receiver and then had a great run down the field.

On the negative side our defense just could not stop USC run game. Our tackles were getting mauled, their technique just did not look good, there was also poor tackling and technique from the secondary. However Josh Forrest looked really good and Dupree made some plays. We did not get pressure on their QB. USC did have one of the best O-lines in the league last year but we really need some guys to step up on defense this year. I think the primary NT's Lewis and Elam should be much better and we will have more depth. If these guys can carry their load out of our base 3/4 then we should be a lot better at stopping the run IMO.

Stoops mentioned in his recent interview with Matt Jones that the team was "fried" the second half of the seasons. He attributed this to a lack of depth. The increase in depth this year should allow wider substitution patterns and players should be kept fresher and avoid injuries better. If this team can play with the same energy as they exhibited against USC and some other early games, I think we can really go far this season.

The bottom line is this team has TALENT and it really showed that day, and almost all of it will be back again this year, plus a lot more.

Reactions: mattrudd
We play USC early, so we should see that type of effort once again..... Hopefully, with more depth, we won't wear down as much over the course of the season and will get that great effort in more games this year.

Would be a huge, huge, huge win, being on the road. What is the last SEC road win we have?

Only thing that worries me is you mentioned Matt Jones. That usually causes a meltdown in a thread as bashers and supporters come out. Maybe not this one time? (fingers crossed)

I agree Deeeefense. It was obvious, kind of like basketball, that we played with a different energy level earlier in the season. With not much depth, our guys wore out physically and mentally.

The depth we'll have this year will be inexperienced, but should make a noticeable difference in keeping our main guys more fresh as the year grinds on.

You could add the Miss St, Fla, and ul to that list. I think games 6-11, we looked beat up but we did have some players hurt or hurting. I'm hoping for a big year.

The players were really jacked up for that game because it was one of the better atmospheres in CWS in a long time. Sellout crowd and a blackout. The players wore the black unis with the chrome helmets. Everything about that day was amped up for an upset. I got chills when the players were dancing in the kickoff huddle

For Kentucky to be able to build, the SC game will always need to be a big game every year. Both teams don't have the greatest history and both are competing for the same thing, rising up in the SEC.

Yeah like catfanforlife87 said the refs even told our players and coaches they couldn't be dancing before the KO. I thought then that was a bit over the top by the refs, "You kids stop all that fun stuff, this is serious football so act like it." Talk about a cob up the rear!

Will miss Blue. He was the best seam read route runner on the roster,

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>4 verts MUST have a tough seam read runner. QB looks to locked seam in drop, throws uncapped seam read. R4 <a href="https://t.co/0veJ7GAbfD">https://t.co/0veJ7GAbfD</a></p>&mdash; todd greenwell (@GreenwellTodd) <a href="">December 22, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ADVERTISEMENT