ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne gets a big raise

O7EEkYa.gif

Mitch is starting to make it real hard for Cal and his guys to be swept away. Wish he had threw this type of cash at Antigua. If Tony Barbee does well this year on the recruiting trail I expect him to receive a nice bump too. His deal is only for a year so this seems to be a tryout of sorts.

Money well spent. We have 3 quality assistants who are top of the line and they deserve to be paid like that.

Mitch is starting to make it real hard for Cal and his guys to be swept away. Wish he had threw this type of cash at Antigua. If Tony Barbee does well this year on the recruiting trail I expect him to receive a nice bump too. His deal is only for a year so this seems to be a tryout of sorts.

Antigua got a great job at USF, I doubt that $700,000 would have kept him as an assistant.

Antigua got a great job at USF, I doubt that $700,000 would have kept him as an assistant.

Maybe not, but Kenny Payne has also had several head coaching job offers. Most notably Southern Miss and DePaul. Those schools rank around the same level as USF in terms of attractiveness. If Mitch offered him the money that would have been hard to turn down IMO. Hell maybe he did and Antigua turned it down. He's only making 200K more at USF though so its not a stretch that they could have retained him. Also lets not forget if it wasn't for Masiello's forgery that opportunity would have never been available to Antigua.

Maybe not, but Kenny Payne has also had several head coaching job offers. Most notably Southern Miss and DePaul. Those schools rank around the same level as USF in terms of attractiveness. If Mitch offered him the money that would have been hard to turn down IMO. Hell maybe he did and Antigua turned it down. He's only making 200K more at USF though so its not a stretch that they could have retained him. Also lets not forget if it wasn't for Masiello's forgery that opportunity would have never been available to Antigua.
Is that right? I didn't know Payne had been offered head coaching jobs.

its better for cal and uk if guys like orlando leave and take jobs. cal isnt going to be here forever and when he does leave....if there is a legit coaching tree established then uk is a great spot to bring back guys like orlando or payne for head coaching jobs. i know folks automatically think uk can get any coach they want...but thats false.

Reactions: Jkwo
its better for cal and uk if guys like orlando leave and take jobs. cal isnt going to be here forever and when he does leave....if there is a legit coaching tree established then uk is a great spot to bring back guys like orlando or payne for head coaching jobs. i know folks automatically think uk can get any coach they want...but thats false.

I love Coach Antigua but I don't know if he can put in the work necessary to be UK's next coach by the time Cal leaves. Cal could be here ten more years or two more years. It's anyone's guess. I think Cal will be actively involved with the coaching search though so who knows.

If Mitch says we can afford it, then I say pay our top assistants whatever's necessary. As we've seen, having a couple ace recruiters can be the difference between signing 1-3 additional 5-stars.

yep found out that the year the mad scientist was hired.

My only comment is that college coaching salaries have become outrageous. The total of the salaries of the UK basketball coaches is in excess of 10 to 12 million.

Incorrect on Kenny Payne. I am not aware of any head coaching jobs he has been offered.

Kenny (unlike Slice) has been very loyal to UK and Cal so I'm glad he got a raise. I met him at Marshall Co hoopfest and he seems like a very solid guy.

Give him the money ... as long as we're not expecting him to coach offensive moves to 6'11" and 7'0" guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT