ADVERTISEMENT

Kempo Karate, Brazilian Jujitsu and Kickboxing....

Blue Bleeding Marine

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2006
is what I have decided on for myself. Did a little research, at $75 a month at ROC Martial Arts in Danville is the most viable option for me, money and location wise. Some of those joints in Lexington charge up to $150.00 a month. Hope I don't break a GD hip:eek:

is what I have decided on for myself. Did a little research, at $75 a month at ROC Martial Arts in Danville is the most viable option for me, money and location wise. Some of those joints in Lexington charge up to $150.00 a month. Hope I don't break a GD hip:eek:
Stay focused Daniel son, never hesitate to sweep the leg.

it is...the foot fist way
46642d4a-fb1a-483e-a74f-2ccd26ada7c6_625x352.jpg

Boxing and/or wrestling. Karate is bullshit and so is Kung Fu. You want to learn a performance art then go ahead, if you want to actually know how to fight then don't waste your time with that crap.

Akido and Judo are fine as they value maintaining your balance and control but I don't know anything about Krav Magal.

Boxing and/or wrestling. Karate is bullshit and so is Kung Fu. You want to learn a performance art then go ahead, if you want to actually know how to fight then don't waste your time with that crap.
Wrong. Most martial arts are good for learning how to defend yourself. You will find throughout history that it is not so much the style as it is the fighter. Also, many styles today incorporate other tactics as they have learned the need to evolve.

Too many of the techniques in Karate and Kung Fu have been proven utterly useless in MMA as they either sacrifice your balance or they are too rigid to actually be applicable in a real fight. Granted any exercise will help your physical conditioning and confidence in taking care of yourself especially if your opponent is a total novice/couch potato but that doesn't make learning flawed techniques any more valuable.

Don't have to believe me just watch MMA fights. Not a whole lot of Karate or Kung Fu on display even by karate masters like Machida as they just are not sound techniques in a combat situation.

Too many of the techniques in Karate and Kung Fu have been proven utterly useless in MMA as they either sacrifice your balance or they are too rigid to actually be applicable in a real fight. Granted any exercise will help your physical conditioning and confidence in taking care of yourself especially if your opponent is a total novice/couch potato but that doesn't make learning flawed techniques any more valuable.

Don't have to believe me just watch MMA fights. Not a whole lot of Karate or Kung Fu on display even by karate masters like Machida as they just are not sound techniques in a combat situation.
None of this true. I get that eating family meal deals as one person is your regular course of action, and lying about being military is your m.o. but saying kung fu is obsolete is just absolutely retarded.

Tell that to Bruce Lee, ho.

Actually if you knew what you were talking about you'd realize Bruce Lee agreed with me. Specifically for the reasons I cite he changed traditional Kung Fu and Karate techniques as he recognized the flaws in them.

Actually if you knew what you were talking about you'd realize Bruce Lee agreed with me. Specifically for the reasons I cite he changed traditional Kung Fu and Karate techniques as he recognized the flaws in them.
Yes but, he adjusted as I stated earlier and incorporated more useful techniques in with his normal training. I guess the word I am looking for is blended. While I agree with you on some techniques not being useful, part of the journey is also to delvelpe ones mind, body and soul. I have known black belts who could not really fight but, were very good at forms and kata's not unlike a dancer of sorts. But, I have know some who could also kick a little but if taken to task.

None of this true. I get that eating family meal deals as one person is your regular course of action, and lying about being military is your m.o. but saying kung fu is obsolete is just absolutely retarded.

Get back to us when somebody wins the UFC HW championship using the monkey style.

Seriously, none of this is true.

Jeet Kune Do, abbreviated JKD, is an eclectic and hybrid style fighting art heavily influenced by the philosophy of martial artist Bruce Lee, who founded the system in 1967, referred it as "non-classical", suggesting that JKD is a form of Chinese Kung Fu, yet without form. Unlike more traditional martial arts, Jeet Kune Do is not fixed or patterned, and is a philosophy with guiding thoughts. It was named for the Wing Chun concept of interception or attacking while one's opponent is about to attack. Jeet Kune Do practitioners believe in minimal movements with maximum effects and extreme speed. The system works by using different "tools" for different situations, where the situations are divided into ranges, which is kicking, punching, trapping, and grappling, where martial artists use techniques to flow smoothly between them. It is referred to as "a style without style" or "the art of fighting without fighting" as said by Lee himself. As in the screenplay of the Warner Brothers 1973 Enter the Dragonmovie, in which he replied to a challenging man who was asking him, "What's your style?" to which Lee replied, "My style?...You can call it the art of fighting without fighting." Thus one may also ideologically define JKD simply as the Bruce Lee Kung Fu or the Bruce Lee style of Kung Fu. However, the name Jeet Kune Do was often said by Lee to be just a name. He himself often referred it as "the art of expressing the human body" in his writings and in interviews. Through his studies Lee came to believe that styles had become too rigid and unrealistic. He called martial art competitions of the day "dry land swimming". He believed that combat was spontaneous, and that a martial artist cannot predict it, only react to it, and that a good martial artist should "be like water" and move fluidly without hesitation. In 2004, the Bruce Lee Foundation decided to use the name Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (振藩截拳道) to refer to the martial arts system that Lee founded; "Jun Fan" was Lee's Chinese given name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

I like how that is the ultimate test of a fighting style. A tiny UFC octagon and a list of rules that rolls out like a Dead Sea Scroll.

Jeet Kune Do, abbreviated JKD, is an eclectic and hybrid style fighting art heavily influenced by the philosophy of martial artist Bruce Lee, who founded the system in 1967, referred it as "non-classical", suggesting that JKD is a form of Chinese Kung Fu, yet without form. Unlike more traditional martial arts, Jeet Kune Do is not fixed or patterned, and is a philosophy with guiding thoughts. It was named for the Wing Chun concept of interception or attacking while one's opponent is about to attack. Jeet Kune Do practitioners believe in minimal movements with maximum effects and extreme speed. The system works by using different "tools" for different situations, where the situations are divided into ranges, which is kicking, punching, trapping, and grappling, where martial artists use techniques to flow smoothly between them. It is referred to as "a style without style" or "the art of fighting without fighting" as said by Lee himself. As in the screenplay of the Warner Brothers 1973 Enter the Dragonmovie, in which he replied to a challenging man who was asking him, "What's your style?" to which Lee replied, "My style?...You can call it the art of fighting without fighting." Thus one may also ideologically define JKD simply as the Bruce Lee Kung Fu or the Bruce Lee style of Kung Fu. However, the name Jeet Kune Do was often said by Lee to be just a name. He himself often referred it as "the art of expressing the human body" in his writings and in interviews. Through his studies Lee came to believe that styles had become too rigid and unrealistic. He called martial art competitions of the day "dry land swimming". He believed that combat was spontaneous, and that a martial artist cannot predict it, only react to it, and that a good martial artist should "be like water" and move fluidly without hesitation. In 2004, the Bruce Lee Foundation decided to use the name Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (振藩截拳道) to refer to the martial arts system that Lee founded; "Jun Fan" was Lee's Chinese given name.
Jeet Kune do incorporated boxing styles and other forms, but still was kung fu, so quoting wikipedia isnt correct. Where is the Karate you spoke of? And kung fu is one of the most fluid forms of martial arts ever. But nice try Z

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do
Exactly but, the techniques used were from other styles and his philosophy was to (as stated above) react to an attack. That reaction is using techniques learned to defend and then counter with learned techniques. Thus meaning that while some techniques could be deemed useless, many others are not.

I like how that is the ultimate test of a fighting style. A tiny UFC octagon and a list of rules that rolls out like a Dead Sea Scroll.

Without realizing it you are absolutely correct. MMA in general and the UFC in particular are the ultimate test of all fighting styles coming together to put them to the test in real combat situations.

To put a bow on this conversation it simply comes down to this... virtually all professional MMA fighters train overwhelmingly in just 3 areas: Boxing, Wrestling, and Submissions. That's it. Of course there are many like Machida that run their own gyms and still practice their traditional disciplines, but when ALL of them step into the cage it is boxing, wrestling, and submissions. For the sake of argument I am including Judo in with wrestling and Jui Jitsu in with submissions, but just to keep this from being way too long of a conversation that is the state of fighting currently and to ignore all of that and go out and pay for a bunch of proven useless bullshit is dumb to me, unless you just want a pretty uniform and hop around breaking boards and a bunch of other crap and are not really interested in being able to actually fight somebody.

To put a bow on this conversation it simply comes down to this... virtually all professional MMA fighters train overwhelmingly in just 3 areas: Boxing, Wrestling, and Submissions. That's it. Of course there are many like Machida that run their own gyms and still practice their traditional disciplines, but when ALL of them step into the cage it is boxing, wrestling, and submissions. For the sake of argument I am including Judo in with wrestling and Jui Jitsu in with submissions, but just to keep this from being way too long of a conversation that is the state of fighting currently and to ignore all of that and go out and pay for a bunch of proven useless bullshit is dumb to me, unless you just want a pretty uniform and hop around breaking boards and a bunch of other crap and are not really interested in being able to actually fight somebody.
Here is the straw that breaks the BOW, while MMA does concentrate a lot more on what you mentioned, most people will not be engaging MMA fighters if having to defend themselves. Many will be defending themselves against bullies or other people who attack out of anger without any formal training at all and will in many cases be stopped in there tracks by people who have some kind of training. That has been proven.

Because fighters don't compete with, or win with certain styles in the UFC does not mean they're ineffective. It means the UFC has rules that negate their effectiveness, ie no throat strikes, etc. That rules out styles like Krav Maga and wing chun; both of which are extremely effective.

Combine either of those with bjj, and you'll be good to go. I'd completely skip karate.

Reactions: -LEK-
ADVERTISEMENT