ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas fans want more from us........really?

It's no use, Ted Owens going 1-12 vs Kentucky before most of us were born means superiority. Doesn't matter that Self is 3-3 or that Larry Brown and Roy were 3-3. Ted Owens in the 70s when games weren't even on TV - that matters.

Funny coming from a fanbase that celebrates their ancient Helms Title.

:cool:

208ek4g.jpg

Most of the time, no. But with THIS Kentucky team, which was quite possibly the greatest collection of talent the college game has ever seen? It's up for debate.
UK had 10 good kids. The problem was Whisky had the 2 best players on the floor that night. This is not the nba best of 7. This is college. Any game Elite 8 and on, is a crap shoot. UK has had our fair share of bad losses. It is not like anyone gets up to play us and then screws the pooch the next game. GBB

The funny thing is UK fans make fun of Indiana for sucking so badly in the modern post-1985 world. (Which they're correct to do)

But then they tell Kansas fans the modern era equivalence between Kansas & Kentucky (and I laid out a slew of stats proving that) does not matter due to the 70s when Indiana ruled the sport - or at least was a dominant program.

So I'm not sure what the rules on this are

Damn, it gets nasty QUICK between KU and UK fans!
A choke would also qualify having Wilt Freaking Chamberlin on your team and losing in the Finals. There is no question he was one of the greatest bball players of all time. He was the most dominant player of that era. Kind of ironic you taking that handle and talking about UK choking? GBB

I saw nothing wrong with what was in the link at all. If they want to play Missouri that's fine by me I could care less.
I mean if we asked who everybody wants to play on here I'm sure UL would prob win out easily not KU or UNC.
So would the fans of these schools take it as an insult because so many of you guys want UL??

I personally like to play different schools all the time, it gets boring to me playing the same teams every year. That's why I was so glad we dropped IU, besides our fans being spit on and bottles or cups thrown at em away from the arena and in it
I thought it was fun playing ucla and Texas this year. More exposure for us to other parts of the country as well.

The funny thing is UK fans make fun of Indiana for sucking so badly in the modern post-1985 world. (Which they're correct to do)

But then they tell Kansas fans the modern era equivalence between Kansas & Kentucky (and I laid out a slew of stats proving that) does not matter due to the 70s when Indiana ruled the sport - or at least was a dominant program.

The rules are UK has been a top tier program from the 40's on. Decades of being in the upper ranks of wins, win %, and deep tournament runs. I don't take much stock in this modern era crap. Basketball is still basketball. Football does not separate into eras. The game has changed and evolved but the basics are still the same are they not? Kansas has a tremendous program as well.

So when you go back to 1985, and say the programs are about even head to head. You may be right and that is your opinion. The problem UK has we have to contend with ul, iu, unc cheat (23 years of blatant cheating), etc. all cherry picking their program's stats against UK. Stop acting like a johnny come lately and act like a true real Kansas fan. Stack the whole record up against whoever you are comparing your program against. GBB

I have a lot of respect for the Kansas program and Bill Self. I just don't understand the fanbase's general disdain for Kentucky. It's ridiculous.

***Eh, I don't share the disdain.

The only thing I'll claim as better with regards to KU vs. UK is Allen Field House vs. Rupp Arena and that's just again very subjective and what different individuals like.

When I was at Rupp, I'll admit it wasn't for a UK game, but the 1993 Southeast Region 2nd Round Games - Purdue vs. Alabama (I think that was "Big Dog" Glenn Robinson vs. Antonio McDyess) & KU vs. Wake Forest (Duncan was a Freshman).

Rupp felt like a minor league hockey arena to me. Even if completely packed I felt like it lacked the "Fieldhouse" 's atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong....if you're looking for comfort, Rupp would be the place. But if you're looking to be squeezed in and just hear a buzzing roar to where you're afraid your ears might bleed? Then Allen's the place.

Listen fellas, calm down! I'm not here to call anyone a choker, I'll be the first to tell you that as I a Jayhawk fan, we oughtta be the last folks accusing anyone of this. We've not forgotten about Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, VCU, etc. etc. etc. I personally am not running from that. I've said before, my team will do one of two things in March...they'll either make a deep run, or they'll lose to some team they should have blown out. It is what it is. If I could change the past, I would, but I can't.

Somebody asked if losing in the Final Four could be considered choking. I responded that with THIS dominant a team (perhaps as dominant as there has ever been) then it's up for discussion. I didn't say my team has NEVER choked, lord knows that's about the furthest thing from the truth! I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers, but perhaps it's a little early for me to have made that statement, and I apologize for that if I offended anyone.

Glad to see you coming around. Just because you didn't personally witness something doesn't mean it didn't happen. My dad is still alive and he did see UK's titles in the 50s/70s and believe it or not, he thinks they matter. He also remembers Ted Owens well.

Btw, UK fans do respect the 'totality' of Kansas' history and think they are right where they belong, historically speaking.

***Not saying it "doesn't matter".

Saying it's not something personally experienced and not something that most of us "were a part of".....feels weird for that to be a "source of pride".

Ku fans best thank god for their 3rd championship. Or else...damn...they'd have nothing to hang their hat on.

Look Wisconsin played a perfect game and still found themselves down 4 with 4 to go and looked gassed. Then a ridiculous missed shot clock violation gave them 2 points and new life. This is why the NCAA tourney is a cruel bitch.

This is why Kansas will always be Kansas. Their fans come on the Kentucky board to claim losing to a 1 seed in the Final Four was worse than losing to a 7 seed in the Round of 32. It is the same logic that excuses losses as a 1 or 2 seed to Bradley, Bucknell, Northern Iowa, Virginia Commonwealth, Wichita, etc. because they won a crummy title in a conference that couldn't even put a team in the Elite Eight this year, a conference whose most successful team, West Virginia, was crushed by Kentucky by 40 points.

It is a loser's mentality of the chronically inferior, the type that justifies hanging Helm's Bakery banners in the center of your arena.

***If by the conference's "most successful team" you mean who went farthest in the Touranment....well, OU made it as far as WVU and weren't exactly embarrassed by MSU.

Yes KU fans do have an inferiority complex no doubt. The helms banners just proves it even more.

Haha @ KU fans talking about choking. This coming from fans of a "blueblood" that has been passed or equaled by the likes of UConn and UofL.

The funniest part is, to most KU fans, they don't see it as choking. In their minds and own words it's just some random crap shoot tournament, and the B12 season conference is much more important. How pitiful is that? Fans of a blueblood claiming season conference titles mean more than NCAA titles.

Who can blame them for looking at it that way, though? Constantly underachieving in the tournament has made them resent it, and forced them act like it's not as important as winning the B12. That's how they cope with the reality of it. Bottom line, it's all loser talk.

Comments like this one I find completely laughable. That Kansas team Kentucky beat for their last title didn't include a single burger all american. The guy can flat out coach. Anyone who states otherwise simply isn't being honest with themselves.

What I find completely laughable chickenhawk lover, is how we beat you TWICE on neutral courts in 2012 and shellacked those silly tail feathers this year.

If hair piece could coach, maybe he wouldn't have his bald ass handed to him by Northern Iowa, Western Kentucky or the Wichita State's of the world on
neutral floors under the brightest lights - the latter who you're flat-out afraid to play, which is completely laughable X infinity.
smiley-laughing024.gif

Self%20Bald.jpg

your argument suggests uk is best no matter the time. that's correct.

Oh I remember the day when Rupp beat his old coach Phog Allen. He had the utmost respect for Coach Allen

Oh I remember the day when Rupp beat his old coach Phog Allen. He had the utmost respect for Coach Allen

I remember him beating Allen in Lexington, then refusing the return trip. Kansas went on to go 28-3 and win the National Title. Probably a smart move

I remember him beating Allen in Lexington, then refusing the return trip. Kansas went on to go 28-3 and win the National Title. Probably a smart move
Rupp did not like playing KU. Rupp could win but still have mixed feelings about it. Joe B had no problem with it.

Comments like this one I find completely laughable. That Kansas team Kentucky beat for their last title didn't include a single burger all american. The guy can flat out coach. Anyone who states otherwise simply isn't being honest with themselves.

So are you saying he can't recruit either?

Rumor is that Kentucky is playing in Allen Fieldhouse in January for the big12 SEC challenge, so I guess we will see it again soon. To be fair, the last three matchups have been when UK has had two of their best teams maybe ever, and two of the least talented teams Bill Self has had at KU.

Well get a coach who can recruit all the time and not just sometimes. That way you can't cry about having a down year.

Rupp did not like playing KU. Rupp could win but still have mixed feelings about it. Joe B had no problem with it.

It is odd however he was willing to host Phog in 1951 but not return the trip. I have asked some knowledgable KU fans why that occurred and nobody heard why. Obviously Joe B Hall loved playing KU in the 1970s when we were down and coached by Ted Owens. We tried to extend the series in 1991 and again in 2007 and you declined both times.

Kentucky won't play Kansas when they're in an equal or lower position. And it's because they don't have to - they have plenty of rivalry games with Indiana-UNC-Louisville etc. Kentucky can call anyone in the country and get a series going, but we can't. Which is why the 1970s games continued to happen even though we weren't a national program that decade and in our down phase. (We need the Kentucky games more than you do)

It is odd however he was willing to host Phog in 1951 but not return the trip. I have asked some knowledgable KU fans why that occurred and nobody heard why. Obviously Joe B Hall loved playing KU in the 1970s when we were down and coached by Ted Owens. We tried to extend the series in 1991 and again in 2007 and you declined both times.

Kentucky won't play Kansas when they're in an equal or lower position. And it's because they don't have to - they have plenty of rivalry games with Indiana-UNC-Louisville etc. Kentucky can call anyone in the country and get a series going, but we can't. Which is why the 1970s games continued to happen even though we weren't a national program that decade and in our down phase. (We need the Kentucky games more than you do)
UK and Ku played in 1950 not 1951. In 1951, The ncaa hit UK in a nit point shaving deal or something like that and made them cancel the 52 season. This could explain no return trip to phogg. Rupp did not like playing his alma mater and you should be glad he felt that way or the win-loss would be more skewed in UK's favor.
In 91, UK was coming off of probation. I guess beating UK by 55 with a team of walk ons is what you want. Don't tell me that UK is scared to play KU when we are down.
In 2007, Tubby was taking the program in a down spiral. I guess it is ok for KU to try and schedule UK when it is down. In the 70's the schools agreed in a contract to playing the decade. We are playing each other in the Champions classic now.
Are you telling me that Kansas can not call anyone and get a series going with other top basketball schools besides UK??? Have Self pick up the phone and call Cal and set up a new 10 year contract. If I remember right, Espn was constantly flashing that KU played a tough ooc schedule. I think this has been the case for a couple of years. KU has to be playing someone. Self could also call Indiana, unc ***, UL, etc and set up a new rivalry game with other blue bloods. One of my favorite games this year was watching Indiana play Louisville knowing 1 was going to lose. GBB

A trip to Allen Fieldhouse would be awesome for next season.

No one will say we aren't road tested after games at KU and at UNC.

Should both be games against top 5 teams.

I would say that losing to Wichita State does not qualify as an upset. Sucks we lost in the second round, but Wichita State was quality.

Yeah I could tell WSU was quality by the way they squeaked by an IU team, that limped into the tourney, in the previous round and then got bounced By Notre Dame, by double digits, in the next round after blowing out KU.

Reactions: brianpoe
Kansas fan here.

Jayhawk fans wanting to play UK is a compliment to the Kentucky basketball program. You guys have a tremendous history. Championships in all but 3 decades since the 40's. Final 4 appearances during the Wooden era, which is about as good as anyone could expect given the circumstances. And your program is on a hell of a roll currently.

Perhaps the hate between both fan bases stem from Calipari being your coach. I don't ever recall any resentment between fan bases prior to 2010. Personally, I don't mind Calipari, but I can see how and why he rubs some people the wrong way. I won't even start the semantics of debating which coach is better at X's and O's. Every coach has their flaws and none are perfect.

What really separates Calipari from every other coach across all sports, professional or amateur, is that he is a master at marketing himself, the Kentucky basketball program, and his players. He is a great coach too, especially with melding multiple star egos on each of his teams, but his true strength is his vision of how to market UK, and his players. Only shortsighted fans argue that he is abusing the one and done rule. I think we all can agree that it would be nice to have star players stay more than one year, but such is life. And I know Calipari would've loved to had Wall and Davis on the same team, or Davis and KAT. He's doing the most he can given the current circumstances. And if I was a coach, I'd be doing the exact same thing.

I'm not sure why all the hate about the Helms titles. I, and most Kansas fans know what they are, and that they aren't National Championships. Now I don't agree with the particular labeling and placement of said Helms title banners inside Allen Fieldhouse (the athletic department didn't ask for my input on the interior decorating of the Fieldhouse), but they should be recognized in some form, not as a National Championship, but to honor and remember historic teams from the pre-championship era.

http://blogs.lib.ku.edu/spencer/wp-...smith-6613-1922-1923-Team-Photos-1024x779.jpg

That's the 1923 Kansas varsity team picture. James Naismith, Phog Allen, Adolph Rupp, and Paul Endacott. Should that team be forgotten, because they didn't play in a game that technically didn't exist at the time?

I'm not sure where/who some of you are interacting with Kansas fans, but I and most other fans I know do not think winning the Big 12 regular season title is more important than results in March. I know there is a small portion of the fan base who are Chicken Littles, who will say anything to make themselves feel better, but that's just asinine. I would trade every one of the Big 12 titles in our streak for another National Championship. Hell, probably for just a Final 4 or two more. The streak is impressive, regardless of what power 5 conference we are forced to play in, but results in March are what matters.

I'll end my rant with I know both fan bases have their contigent of bad apples. I don't judge the Kentucky fan base as a whole, because of a few bad experiences, and I would hope you guys don't either. I would love to have a home and home with UK. It's been far too long since both schools have done a home and home, and both Rupp and Allen would be an electric atmosphere. Even though we cheer for different schools, I have a respect for Kentucky fans, because you guys and gals love college basketball as much as I do. I'll go back to lurking now lol

Well get a coach who can recruit all the time and not just sometimes. That way you can't cry about having a down year.

***Um, ok, - after Cal only two other coaches have succeeded more recruiting-wise over these past 5-10 years or so than Self at Kansas (Sean Miller out at Arizona & K at Duke).

It is Deja vu all over again. Last year, after once again being dismissed by a double-digit seed, Kansas fans spent all Spring, Summer and early Fall on this board trying to convince themselves that there was some sort of equivalency between their program and Kentucky, even though Kentucky actually had a great year going to the Final Game.

The result:
1. The Cats crush them by 32 in November in a game that wasn't that close.
2. Kansas accomplishes its most coveted goal: Winning the B-12!
3. But then the entire B-12 does a clown's pie-in-the-face routine in the tournament, proving that, as usual, it was a hollow, second-rate conference.
4. Kansas, of course, loses early in the real tournament to a team seeded at least 5 slots higher.
5. In this case, the loss was to a mid-major from its own state the Jayhawks had desperately tried to avoid for years.

So, a few weeks pass and we are right back to the Jayhawk's favorite part of the year: Chattering season. Its the time of year when they can convince themselves the gap with Kentucky is smaller than the Grand Canyon.

***Wow, wrong on so many fronts it's laughable.

So.....UK had a great year in '13/14 when a good number weren't even putting them in the tournament prior to the Bracket Announcements.....again!!!!

Peaked at the right time, yes, but the year as a whole - no, not successful.

1. KU obviously couldn't compete with UK - though I have to admit that even the game-plan was flawed. Should've been putting up the outside shots instead of going in and time and time and time again getting swatted. And no KU fan rightfully thought that the 'hawks had a chance in the Champions' Classice especially with the game being in nearby Indy.

2. LMAO. K Yeah, that's "the most coveted goal"...not making the Final Four or anything. In a "down" year - yes, it at least made for a good consolation.

3. How many SEC teams made it past the Sweet 16? I believe just one more than the Big XII...let alone I believe the same number in the Sweet 16. The Big XII's resume was pretty much on par w/ the ACC as the tops in the country last year, but they weren't exactly top heavy. A lot of 4 or 5 seeds. Well, they tend to lose before the Elite 8 if they play to seed.

4. a team seeded at least 5 slots higher. Again - LMAO...yeah, the one that the most people were questioning why their seed was as low as ait was. A ton swear it was simply to match up KU & WSU.

5. Jayhawks had despearately tried to avoid for years. Um, ok - what does KU get out of playing Wichita State if they were to play them in the regular season?!?!?!?! And you can't use the Louisville comparison because they're not in a Mid-Major. YOU NEVER SEE TEAMS SET UP SERIES LIKE THAT!!!!! Do you see Georgia play Georgia State? Mizzou play Saint Louis? Indiana play Valparaiso? Texas play Stephen F. Austin? You get nothing out of recruiting and even if you win - it's simply - "well, good - you should have." IF - they were to play, it should be arranged as no less than a 2-for-1 (2 in Lawrence & 1 in Wichita...some other series have been done similarly) - but they won't agree to anything but a 1-for-1 - so it will not happen. Besides, Marshall moves on and if the series is established it would go back to the pre-existing 50 pt. embarrassing blowouts previous to the series having been halted.

UK and Ku played in 1950 not 1951. In 1951, The ncaa hit UK in a nit point shaving deal or something like that and made them cancel the 52 season. This could explain no return trip to phogg. Rupp did not like playing his alma mater and you should be glad he felt that way or the win-loss would be more skewed in UK's favor.
In 91, UK was coming off of probation. I guess beating UK by 55 with a team of walk ons is what you want. Don't tell me that UK is scared to play KU when we are down.
In 2007, Tubby was taking the program in a down spiral. I guess it is ok for KU to try and schedule UK when it is down. In the 70's the schools agreed in a contract to playing the decade. We are playing each other in the Champions classic now.
Are you telling me that Kansas can not call anyone and get a series going with other top basketball schools besides UK??? Have Self pick up the phone and call Cal and set up a new 10 year contract. If I remember right, Espn was constantly flashing that KU played a tough ooc schedule. I think this has been the case for a couple of years. KU has to be playing someone. Self could also call Indiana, unc ***, UL, etc and set up a new rivalry game with other blue bloods. One of my favorite games this year was watching Indiana play Louisville knowing 1 was going to lose. GBB

***Kansas can not get a series going?!

The last 2 years they've (KU) had the toughest schedule both years.

And in the years I've followed KU I can recall series with UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, UConn, Kentucky, Georgetown, Michigan State, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Florida, among others and this is outsides of who they'd play in Maui, NIT, Orlando, Bahamas Tourneys or Conf. matchups (previously Pac-12 & now SEC).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT