ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas fans want more from us........really?

I'll never get over Kansas fan's inferiority complex toward UK. It's ridiculous and beneath them, but oh so real.

I like how they said that since 1985, we are "just 6-5" against them. Not hard to figure out why they went back to 85. They were 1-16 before that.

They have losing records against us, Duke and UNCheat. Pretty obvious why conference titles are so important to them.

I like how they said that since 1985, we are "just 6-5" against them. Not hard to figure out why they went back to 85. They were 1-16 before that.

They have losing records against us, Duke and UNCheat. Pretty obvious why conference titles are so important to them.
Gluttons for punishment.

I'll never get over Kansas fan's inferiority complex toward UK. It's ridiculous and beneath them, but oh so real.

**Inferiority complex?

We respect you and it's smart to get as good of a team as UK on the schedule. Be it a 32 pt. loss like last year or even a 55 pt. win like in '90 (I think?) - doesn't seem to matter much either way - just having that game on the schedule enhances a resume so much.

Reactions: Anthony B

***or go back to '85 because most of us on here aren't 50+ where we remember olden times? lol

Go back to what you remember and resembles basketball today.

Reactions: RockyMountainCat
Self is the most overrated coach in Div I - only Barnes has done less with more.

***Also belonging in the "less w/ more" category:

Sean Miller
Jim Boeheim
pretty soon might need to add Jay Wright to this list - keep being top say 4-8 or so and bowing out way early
Thad Matta
Tom Crean

All schools / teams that get comparable talent and since Self has been at Kansas haven't gotten as far as a good number of Self's teams have.

- that's just "off the top of my head".

***or go back to '85 because most of us on here aren't 50+ where we remember olden times? lol

Go back to what you remember and resembles basketball today.
As many KU fans that come over here and talk about tradition. Quit cherry picking. The overall record is what it is. With that being said, I hope they do schedule the game. Good for college basketball. Better KU than indiana any day. GBB

Reactions: Brando Mac
As many KU fans that come over here and talk about tradition. Quit cherry picking. The overall record is what it is. With that being said, I hope they do schedule the game. Good for college basketball. Better KU than indiana any day. GBB

***It's not "cherry picking".

I seriously have no memory of watching any college basketball prior to 'nova over Georgetown in the '85 Championship.

I don't think it's an inferiority complex that KU fans have with UK. When Calipari first went there, there was a lot of yelling and trash talking and that sort of thing, but I think a lot of that has died down.

We tend to see UK for who they are...the top program in the country at the moment. That you would wind up #2 on the fanbases list of teams that they'd like to see scheduled has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, it has more to do with wanting to measure yourself against the program who currently sets the bar. I think that if we're being fair, we all know that if the UK/KU game were played a few months later in the year, KU probably wouldn't have gotten drubbed by 30. Not saying we would have won, last year's team was not exactly the finest product KU has put on the court in recent years, but certainly the game would have been closer.

I don't think it's an inferiority complex that KU fans have with UK. When Calipari first went there, there was a lot of yelling and trash talking and that sort of thing, but I think a lot of that has died down.

We tend to see UK for who they are...the top program in the country at the moment. That you would wind up #2 on the fanbases list of teams that they'd like to see scheduled has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, it has more to do with wanting to measure yourself against the program who currently sets the bar. I think that if we're being fair, we all know that if the UK/KU game were played a few months later in the year, KU probably wouldn't have gotten drubbed by 30. Not saying we would have won, last year's team was not exactly the finest product KU has put on the court in recent years, but certainly the game would have been closer.

Schedule the game in the middle of conference play. Be good for both teams. By then, all of the new kids have their feet on the floor and know what is going on. GBB

I have a lot of respect for the Kansas program and Bill Self. I just don't understand the fanbase's general disdain for Kentucky. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: brianpoe
Self is the most overrated coach in Div I - only Barnes has done less with more.

Not according to Ben Howland; the guy raved about Self winning 12 conference titles in a row. Coach speak for "You've done it during the regular season, and look at that fat contract you picked up...and you don't even have to contend at the end of the year!" "I love this game!"

I have a lot of respect for the Kansas program and Bill Self. I just don't understand the fanbase's general disdain for Kentucky. It's ridiculous.

You guys are the evil empire right now, just like the Yankees or the Cowboys or Lakers. The thing is this...we have a GREAT program in Lawrence, we win a ton of games and we tend to either make deep runs in the tourney, or lose to some directional school we should have pounded to oblivion by 50.

There is really ONE program that, if we're being honest, is sitting on a higher perch right now, and that's Kentucky. Naturally, we'd love nothing more than to knock you down a notch. THAT is where the nastiness stems from.

Reactions: Anthony B
it's 100% John Calipari. Kansas fans respected UK before that when Tubby was coaching. Of course, they were a better program in general and UK had a guy they thought would never win another title, they were trending upward with Self, etc. Gillispie did nothing to make em hate UK either, plus he was a former Self assistant. Now the hate is purely stemmed from Jphn Calipari being the coach, taking several of their recruits, having more success, etc.

This is actually pretty true. Most Kansas fans I know have a general respect for Kentucky basketball and it's history. But I think most KU fans really can't stand John Calipari. But that's probably true of every other fanbase in America.

Comments like this one I find completely laughable. That Kansas team Kentucky beat for their last title didn't include a single burger all american. The guy can flat out coach. Anyone who states otherwise simply isn't being honest with themselves.

And Cal just rolls the ball out... both fan bases have questionable posters when it comes to things of this nature. All these guys can coach.

Lol at the ChokeHawks. Get you some.

4rail4.jpg

Rumor is that Kentucky is playing in Allen Fieldhouse in January for the big12 SEC challenge, so I guess we will see it again soon. To be fair, the last three matchups have been when UK has had two of their best teams maybe ever, and two of the least talented teams Bill Self has had at KU.

Lol at the ChokeHawks. Get you some.

4rail4.jpg
Didn't you choke this year? Who cares about a final four when you have the most talent assembled in years and considered the best ever, hell, even a possible NBA playoff team. To pretend you didn't choke this year is laughable. I have no problem with UK, but let's not pretend you don't choke either. Calipari has had more burger boys on one team than any other coach in history and only has 1 championship, the same as Self with far less.

Rumor is that Kentucky is playing in Allen Fieldhouse in January for the big12 SEC challenge, so I guess we will see it again soon. To be fair, the last three matchups have been when UK has had two of their best teams maybe ever, and two of the least talented teams Bill Self has had at KU.
That means UK would play Duke, Kansas, Ul, and UNC in the same year...not sure it gets any better than that in the regular season for me. Hope the rumor comes to fruition.

It's no use, Ted Owens going 1-12 vs Kentucky before most of us were born means superiority. Doesn't matter that Self is 3-3 or that Larry Brown and Roy were 3-3. Ted Owens in the 70s when games weren't even on TV - that matters.

Head to head proves superiority (except UNCs big lead on UK). Titles prove it too (except UCLA lead on everyone). The "totality" of a program is the measure, but Kansas' "totality" is invalidated by low title count. Confusing? To some maybe.

Titles in the 40s matter Just as much as those today. I have accepted the rules and I suggest all KU fans food suit.

The good news is there are other fan bases like UK who like hoops a lot. We need more of them.

Didn't you choke this year? Who cares about a final four when you have the most talent assembled in years and considered the best ever, hell, even a possible NBA playoff team. To pretend you didn't choke this year is laughable. I have no problem with UK, but let's not pretend you don't choke either. Calipari has had more burger boys on one team than any other coach in history and only has 1 championship, the same as Self with far less.

I would say there is a big difference in being in the final four and being a two seed and getting eliminated the first weekend again. Just sayin.

2ro4579.jpg

Last edited:

Yes we did, but we choked to the second best team in the country after winning every game, we didn't choke to some directional school that we were favored by 20, unlike KU, multiple times. Can you even call a loss in the FF a choke anyway?

Reactions: Brando Mac
Yes we did, but we choked to the second best team in the country after winning every game, we didn't choke to some directional school that we were favored by 20, unlike KU, multiple times. Can you even call a loss in the FF a choke anyway?

Most of the time, no. But with THIS Kentucky team, which was quite possibly the greatest collection of talent the college game has ever seen? It's up for debate.

It's no use, Ted Owens going 1-12 vs Kentucky before most of us were born means superiority. Doesn't matter that Self is 3-3 or that Larry Brown and Roy were 3-3. Ted Owens in the 70s when games weren't even on TV - that matters.

Head to head proves superiority (except UNCs big lead on UK). Titles prove it too (except UCLA lead on everyone). The "totality" of a program is the measure, but Kansas' "totality" is invalidated by low title count. Confusing? To some maybe.

Titles in the 40s matter Just as much as those today. I have accepted the rules and I suggest all KU fans food suit.

The good news is there are other fan bases like UK who like hoops a lot. We need more of them.
Glad to see you coming around. Just because you didn't personally witness something doesn't mean it didn't happen. My dad is still alive and he did see UK's titles in the 50s/70s and believe it or not, he thinks they matter. He also remembers Ted Owens well.

Btw, UK fans do respect the 'totality' of Kansas' history and think they are right where they belong, historically speaking.

ADVERTISEMENT