ADVERTISEMENT

K-Cats vs Bearcats ( Wed. )....

Lewis playing third gets his first defensive chance and threw it away to give Cincinnati the win.

Bad game all the way around, no hitting what so ever, defensive lapses that cost us, and honestly, some questionable moves by Coach Minge.
Tomorrow we get right back at it, with the Miami games now to be played on Thurs. Fri. and Sunday. 6:00 pm start tomorrow at the Cliff.

This may be the only time in his career that Hjelle can say he was in the starting lineup two days in a row. Lol

No Excuses but this loss belongs to Nick Mingione. All his moves backfired and to put 9in Zeke Lewis at third base was another rookie mistake by the head coach.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
No Excuses but this loss belongs to Nick Mingione. All his moves backfired and to put 9in Zeke Lewis at third base was another rookie mistake by the head coach.

That's because taking Heyer out for Wilson in the 9th was a huge mistake. Heyer is hitting .333 and had two doubles on the day, and we took him down to hit Wilson who came in hitting .111 just because of a righty/lefty match-up. Just a poor decision. Also, couldn't he have made Lewis the dh and put Becker at third?

We can always count on Gabe for the negative opinion. What a clown.

Two buddies and I made the trip to Cincy and had a great contingent of blue in the house...game was a bummer from the get go...seemed like the players had no juice and I'll agree the coach made a couple of head scratching decisions. On to the next game.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat

Agreed. Coach blew this game. Can't lose these types of games when we've already left ourselves little margin for error with the poor start.

Honestly the kid is playing SEC baseball - I am sure he can make whatever play he screwed up on. Could be some questionable moves to get into that position, but I am sure the kid is capable of making plays at 3rd.

Honestly the kid is playing SEC baseball - I am sure he can make whatever play he screwed up on. Could be some questionable moves to get into that position, but I am sure the kid is capable of making plays at 3rd.

Well, it all depends on how good of an arm Lewis has. We know he plays short, so he should have a pretty good arm, but if you really have to force it to get the ball to first from third then you're more likely to make a throwing error.

Still, the biggest mistakes were 1. Taking down Heyer. We had 4 hits the entire game and Heyer had two of them. I just don't see how this was a good decision. 2. Intentionally walking the winning run into scoring position. McVey, who they walked, didn't have a hit on the day. I understand that he is hitting .317 for the year and is their best hitter, but he is largely only hitting singles, so even if he gets a hit the guy on first is not likely to score from there. Thompson has a lower batting average (.275), but if he gets a hit (or in this instance reaches on an error) then it is enough to win the game. If the runner was already at second then walking McVey is a good move, but walking him and freely advancing a runner for them is just dumb.

6-0 at home and 1-5 on the road. Have to fix that number soon. Luckily, all of our road games have been hard fought battles. Just need to get this rather young team over the hump and have them win these close ones and we'll be good.

Hey Blake: I don't like losing but I will accept them if the opponent was superior and played a better game but these losses to teams with losing records wiil haunt us at NCAA time at the end of the season. Mingione has shown his inexperience in making the right decisions. He has literally thrown away about 3 games this year with some bad decisions. UK should be 11-3 instead of 8-6. Gabe the clown

2 people came to play yesterday, Zack Thompson, who pitched his tail off with nothing to show for it, and Luke Heyer with 2 doubles and a solid glove. Other than those 2 nobody seemed ready to get after it, cannot rest on your laurels !

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Hey Blake: I don't like losing but I will accept them if the opponent was superior and played a better game but these losses to teams with losing records wiil haunt us at NCAA time at the end of the season. Mingione has shown his inexperience in making the right decisions. He has literally thrown away about 3 games this year with some bad decisions. UK should be 11-3 instead of 8-6. Gabe the clown

100% right.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

For the record, I disagree with both of you as you both have the advantage if judging after the fact and with little insight (IMO) of what went into those decisions.
Signed - just another guy with an opinion.

Reactions: BluegrassBlake
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

For the record, I disagree with both of you as you both have the advantage if judging after the fact and with little insight (IMO) of what went into those decisions.
Signed - just another guy with an opinion.

I said at the time they were silly decisions. They could have gone differently, but they didn't. Of course, I don't get paid anything to make those decisions and I have the benefit of sitting at home and listening/watching instead of being in a dugout under pressure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT