ADVERTISEMENT

Just picked up my 2015 Phil Steele magazine...

We were basicaly a 7 win team last year against a much tougher schedule. That is our base that we will improve upon. We were in contention for the east halfway into the season. We win 9 this year and finish second to uga in the east. These idiots that write this crap dont know what they are talking about!! Has Steele even been to a single UK practice? NO! They dont know what we know and it is going to blow up in all these UK haters face this year. If you think the media hates us because we own basketball, they are going to die with jealousy when we start dominating the SEC in football.

Classic blue tinted glasses look at last year. Yeah, we coulda, shoulda beat FL and UL, but also coulda, shoulda lost to SC. Those things work both ways. I'll give you 6, but 7? naw.

well, pluses and minuses to that. Quality opponent, so they cannot afford to hold anything back, their very best plays/players will be fully on display. With us we probably can keep some stuff close to the vest against ULL that USC will not be able to prepare for.

And playing a quality opponent should mean their starters are in for almost the entire game, more risk of injuries and wear/tear, whereas if we win relatively comfortably backups can get in for snaps giving our front line a break.

There is a risk of injury anytime, getting 2 extra days to prepare plus playing a good team outweighs getting to rest your starters, its the first game, they need to play together at game speed. Game speed is always faster than practice speed regardless of what you try to do in practice. If UK's game gets out of hand, I think starters need to stay in for 3 quarters and learn to play together at gamespeed. If it was the last game of a 6 game stretch, sure get them out early, but not in the opener. UK might not know what kind of team they have after their opener, while USC will likely have a good idea, while UNC most likely wont be great, USC isn't expected to be either.

After Game 1 South Carolina will know what many have feared but few have the guts to say - they have no quarterback, the defense is not improved, and is going to be a disastrous last season for Steve Superior on the sidelines

all good points. but as you noted above, he has a few pickems for us. so a couple guys playing well or making a play here or there could be the difference in winning and losing those pickems. i'll take returning players improving over teams that lost a ton and assume the backups are gonna be better.
Again, to be clear, those games I cited as "pick 'ems" were based on his "second best" set of numbers, not his actual Power Poll numbers. Those numbers would likely produce a different (and more accurate) "spread". Nonetheless, while not a true "spread', the Plus/Minus numbers often give some good insight into the season overall.

IRT your last point, if you assume that last year's Team A starters are going to improve you have to assume that last year's Team B back ups are going to improve as well. It is always good to have proven quality talent returning. But, in most instances, experience without necessary talent and athleticism doesn't mean much.

Peace

Classic blue tinted glasses look at last year. Yeah, we coulda, shoulda beat FL and UL, but also coulda, shoulda lost to SC. Those things work both ways. I'll give you 6, but 7? naw.
Homerblue is a poser...don't worry about him

Bottom line, 5-7 wins with six as the magic number needed in the minds of the BBN. The "X" factor is coaching. The better the coaching and communication, the better opportunity we have to reach six and perhaps beyond.

I may not go at it in the detailed way you to, but just looking at the schedule I'd thought the season likely hinges on those 3 games. I'd also add UT and Mizzou. I'm hoping the Cat's can win enough of those to get to 7 wins. I'd be very happy with that. It seems every year UK football comes down to something I and an old friend and UK grad always say, who are we going to beat this year we didn't beat last year? Obviously to get to 7 it's got to be somebody.

UK wins 6....Cards defense will be even better than last, running back trio are tough....UL wins by 7 in Lessington.

Not likely, Grantham's defenses have regressed everywhere he has ever been DC, the longer is is DC the worse they get.

It's 6 wins or bust this season......I do believe the schedule is tough like the OP shows in the post. It will be tough, but I say we get 6 wins. We have to beat UL this season.

Bottom line, 5-7 wins with six as the magic number needed in the minds of the BBN. The "X" factor is coaching. The better the coaching and communication, the better opportunity we have to reach six and perhaps beyond.

Actually the "x'factor" is the roster. Natural strength and fast twitch are coaching resistant. That's one reason you see so many posts on recruiting. The old "x and o, billy and joe" still rules.

UK wins 6....Cards defense will be even better than last, running back trio are tough....UL wins by 7 in Lessington.

While I agree Louisville has a top 10 nationally front 7 assuming Fields qualifies, it's unlikely Louisville's defense will be as good as it was last season given all the personnel losses. Also, Louisville's RB stable is one of the weaker ones in the ACC, unless James Allen qualifies.

Just wanted to give you a heads up, homerblue is the former UL troll TTCat's new username. He makes these sarcastic outlandish posts in hopes that his fellow UL fans will come over here, copy his posts, and then post them on the UL board, so they can laugh at a "supposed" UK fan. Read all of his previous posts and it's easy to figure out.

MJ says.... On his show he made the remark that UK, MUST, go to a Bowl this year......
I hope we do but don't think it's a must... Like Grump said, injuries happen and games fall at a bad time... We aren't like UGA where one guy leaves and a better one comes in to replace.... _ _ it happens!!! .... We're better on paper;(
I got no clue... New OC, still young... ????

Follow up on my South Carolina points from last week....they just had an important 4 * cornerback from their '15 class have to go prep school this season instead, and try to be a '16 enrollee

ignor function folks....learn it, love it, use it. report button for trash as well.

ADVERTISEMENT