ADVERTISEMENT

Just over a month from today, Kentucky football kicks off. Here are my thoughts!

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
We're 32 days away as I post this, from turning on the lights in the new Commonwealth Stadium, filling the bleachers, and kicking off the season. Here are some things to look forward to!

1. We will see a much more consistent team this year.
Patrick Towles started off playing terrific last season. When the rest of the team fell apart, his performance fell apart. I attribute that to youth on both sides of the ball, and lack of depth. Offensively, Neal Brown made some stupid calls (QB sneak on 4th and 10 maybe?), played a lot of east-west ball, even when it was evident that it didn't work. Sometimes, it was a surprise to see us throw it downfield more than 3 times in a game, and frankly, I just don't think he was on the same page as Coach Stoops.
Enter Shannon Dawson. He came in, and instantly made changes (namely, on the offensive line), moving our guards to a 3 point stance and reinforcing the need to play physical. If that's a mentality that he's had to push onto players as soon as he comes into the program, it tells me that our offensive line wasn't used to their potential. West Virginia had a physical, and often praised offensive line, and we pull in more talent than they do. I'm confident (based on Dawson's own comments) that this offense has all of the pieces that it needs to be incredibly successful. I think a year in college football getting used to the life of a collegiate student-athlete will pay dividends to our on-field production. I also expect to see a star emerge from the receiving corps in the process (I expect Garrett Johnson, but see Dorian Baker with a lot of potential to be a star as well).

Defensively, the staff has been very positive this off-season; as positive as they have been in their time at UK. Last year, linebackers have had issues getting into position on defense, and it would result in teams breaking off big runs. Coach Elliot is adamant that UK has shored up that issue. We also had issues with our CB's making plays. That could also be attributed to being out of proper position (our CB's have the ability to make plays, we've seen the flashes, we just haven't seen it come to fruition entirely). As our CB's go into their senior seasons, I fully expect them to be able to set themselves up to make big plays this season. Last year, they were responsible for only 3 of Kentucky's 16 interceptions. It was an improvement from the year before, but not a good enough improvement. Despite that, Kentucky was one of the best in the SEC (maybe the best?) at preventing explosive plays. The staff is working towards building an opportunistic defense that makes a lot of plays, in the form of a bend-don't-break defense. We've recruiting a lot of long, rangy, fast CB's, and some terrific safeties. Those are pieces that are essential to stopping teams in the red-zone. Being able to quickly react to the run on the perimeter, while having the speed, length, and athleticism to keep the ball away from big receivers. The defense had the bend aspect down (really doing an outstanding job at keeping the ball in front of them in the passing game), but the "don't break" aspect has to be shown this season. Playing in proper position and recruiting the personnel that we've recruited is essential to that.

2. We finally have SEC speed.
A lot of size, a lot of speed. Having a QB that is 6'5, 240#, running a 4.6 forty, and being ultra shifty is a real luxury, especially with the arm that he has. Having a player with the speed, and field vision that Boom Williams has, another luxury. Having the most advanced S&C program in the country in all sports, the biggest luxury of all.
At the SEC media days, Jordan Swindle commented on the improvements in our team's physical well being, stating how two years ago, UK only had 5 players that could run 19 mph, and at that point in time, Kentucky had 33 players that could run that speed. At a later date, Korem was interviewed, and that comment was brought up. Korem mentioned that there were actually 31 players that ran 20 mph!

Math time folks:
1.0 yard per second = ~2.0 mph
40 yards / 5 second = 8 yards/second = ~16 mph
40 yards / 4.4 sec. = 9.1 yards/second = ~18.2 mph
40 yards / 4 seconds = 10 yards/second = ~20 mph

For perspective, when Boom Williams broke out for his first touchdown against Ohio, he was clocked at 21.7 mph, and this is a man that made a lot of very fast, athletic teams look slow in the open field.

Think about that for a moment. Once guys have accelerated to the point that they're running full-speed, there are 31 guys on this team that run 40 yards in nearly 4 seconds flat. Hey, hopefully some play WR, then I bet Coach Dawson will be real happy about throwing the ball downfield!

3. We also have SEC size.
The joy of having a defense where 10 of the 11 starters are upperclassmen? They're so much more physically developed than kids out of high school. For a defense that is mostly revolved around speed, the size is pretty tremendous, especially in the linebacking corps.

Teams like Mizzou (outstanding run defense), will be fielding linebackers that weigh 235, 230, and 230 for their starters.
Georgia will start 3 linebackers weighing 230, 252, and 237.
Alabama will start linebackers weighing 252, 240, 258, and 252 (They also run a 3-4 base package).
Kentucky will start linebackers weighing 255 (Forrest), 252 (Hatcher), 272 (Johnson), and 225 (Flannigan), while having players with good size backing them up.

Not bad size compared to other SEC defenses that typically do a good job of stopping the run. As mentioned previously, it'll all come down to how the staff gets these guys into position. They have the speed and size to stop people, now they just have to be able to get where they need to be. The linebackers did a good job with that against Louisville to end the season, and the staff seems confident coming out of the off-season in that regard. Makes me feel good about the future of Kentucky's run defense.

As for other positions, we're on par with the SEC in every regard. We're not playing with slow, or undersized players anymore. That alone will take us a long way.

4. I'm confident that we will win at least seven games, possibly eight, before bowl season!
If I had to pick out wins right now, I'm going to say:

UL-Lafayette
Florida
Mizzou
Eastern Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Charlotte
Louisville

My reasoning?

Florida lost their entire offensive line to the draft, they're going to run with a new QB, and they lost their star RB. In their 3rd game of the season (and first SEC game, as well as first away game), they're still going to be adjusting to a completely new system, and while they gain a good offensive coach (which should mitigate some of the growth pains of having so many new offensive players), they lose defensive stars, as well as a very good defensive coach. That can't be ignored. I think we win this one.

Mizzou has had a rough off-season to say the least. To quote SDS, "The strength of the program over the last several years has been the pass rush, but the core of Shane Ray, Markus Golden, Harold Brantley (injury) and Marcus Loud (dismissed) is no longer available. Keeping defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski away from Illinois was a major plus following DC Dave Steckel’s exit to Missouri State. Another complication is the lack of proven pass-catchers. Tigers must replace their top four wideouts off last season’s team."
Mizzou has lost a lot. They lost one of their 1000 yard rushers as well, and Maty Mauk has always been an iffy player early in the season. Considering that this is a home game, and so many negative things have happened to Mizzou, I'm going to say that this is a win.

Finally, there's Louisville. I don't really need to explain the other wins not aside from Florida and Mizzou, but I felt that Louisville's football program is at least deserving enough for an explanation of why I believe Kentucky will beat them. There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Louisville on both sides of the ball. Nobody has any clue who the QB will be, and you have to question the offensive line defending whoever that QB is. They lose their star receiver (a top 3 receiver in the entire country), a very good RB, and a lot of their defense. 10 players drafted, Louisville's best in their program's history.
Last year's game a PJCS was close, a dropped interception away from winning that game despite how big of a game their star player was having. A lot of Louisville fans like to discount what Kentucky did defensively to Louisville, but how much of the defense from that game does Kentucky return? A ton of it. How much offense from that game does Louisville return? Well, considering that Parker is gone, those 3 touchdowns and 180 yards next season will be missed for them. Eli Rogers will be busy with the Steelers next season, and won't be able to help Louisville out this time around, so his 5 receptions and 61 yards will be missed, although, he didn't score for them, then again, Parker was the only receiver that Louisville had that did score. The RB Dyer, and the TE Gerald Christian are gone as well. The only returning players that caught a football in that game are Quick and De La Cruz.
I guess my point is, Louisville depended on their draft picks for most of the year to come up with big plays, and those draft picks did it again, against Kentucky. Kentucky returns most of its playmakers (aside from Bud and Z), and will be playing with more experience than Louisville. Also, considering that this one is at home, and I'm pretty confident that Kentucky wins this game.

I think this year is the year that we field a good team that competes in every game, but it all starts in 32 days!

Man, I really pushed that 10,000 character limit. [laughing]

I think Florida is very vulnerable this year in CWS under a new coaching staff and lots of new pieces. UK probably wins this game if they're a bowl team.

I know nothing about Missouri, but honestly, wasn't overly impressed with them last year. They were a good team, but took advantage of a very "down" SEC East (by typical SEC standards). Georgia was a much better team, but somehow, totally blew it when they were flat against South Carolina & choked the bit at the Cocktail Party. Should never have lost to either of those two, and one day, Dawg fans will point the finger at Richt for their annual inconsistent performances.

Louisville has many new pieces that have to come together. I suspect they'll be easier to deal with earlier in the season. Too bad for them that their schedule seems to be more front-loaded. Hard to say how they will respond with multiple early losses. But make no mistake, they are very well-coached, and have a lot of talent, probably considerably more than most know. Your guess is as good as mine as what will happen in the season finale, but don't be surprised if Louisville turns out to be better than a year ago and wins 10 games. Not expecting that, but wouldn't be shocked if it materializes either.

I think Florida is very vulnerable this year in CWS under a new coaching staff and lots of new pieces. UK probably wins this game if they're a bowl team.

I know nothing about Missouri, but honestly, wasn't overly impressed with them last year. They were a good team, but took advantage of a very "down" SEC East (by typical SEC standards). Georgia was a much better team, but somehow, totally blew it when they were flat against South Carolina & choked the bit at the Cocktail Party. Should never have lost to either of those two, and one day, Dawg fans will point the finger at Richt for their annual inconsistent performances.

Louisville has many new pieces that have to come together. I suspect they'll be easier to deal with earlier in the season. Too bad for them that their schedule seems to be more front-loaded. Hard to say how they will respond with multiple early losses. But make no mistake, they are very well-coached, and have a lot of talent, probably considerably more than most know. Your guess is as good as mine as what will happen in the season finale, but don't be surprised if Louisville turns out to be better than a year ago and wins 10 games. Not expecting that, but wouldn't be shocked if it materializes either.

Agreed on Florida and Mizzou. As for Georgia, this is pretty common for them. They have a difficult time with Florida (regardless of how bad), and Steve Spurrier (South Carolina), even though they're a far superior team to either of them. Not sure why, but that's just how it's been for a while.

As for Louisville, I would be shocked if they're a better team, 10 wins or not (and I'd be very surprised at 10 wins). I think they're going to have a difficult time making things come together at most positions.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
Although we hear the "bigger, faster, stronger" stuff each and every year, I am confident that we have overall a better roster than any time this decade, and believe we will be better, maybe much better on offense. Think Shannon Dawson seems like a really good hire for Kentucky right now. Plus we have a much deeper receiver corps, three good to really good (Boom) backs, two solid QBs, great placekicker, etc.

But . . . just not sold on the defense. Have seen the swiss cheese D too many seasons in a row plus losing Bud and Z to make me a believer yet.

That being said, I can see six wins pretty readily, seven in the regular season is harder to find, but doable. Overall, would be thrilled with an 8-5 record (including bowl win), but would not be surprised to be really disappointed in another 5-7 season. Anything less than five wins would be an unmitigated disaster in year three . . . but an 8-4 regular season would be a really really special year, and it is not beyond the realm of possibility, IMO.

Man you must have a lot of time on your hands! That might be an all time record for longest post. Congrats

Florida and Louisville are prove it games. Florida has beaten us 100 times and we seem to have a hard time beating Petrino. Time to prove we can compete with a down Florida team and our rival who has been beating us lately. My concern has been how bad we have faded down the stretch the last few season if we are really on the upswing we will be playing well late.

Reactions: brianpoe
Although we hear the "bigger, faster, stronger" stuff each and every year, I am confident that we have overall a better roster than any time this decade, and believe we will be better, maybe much better on offense. Think Shannon Dawson seems like a really good hire for Kentucky right now. Plus we have a much deeper receiver corps, three good to really good (Boom) backs, two solid QBs, great placekicker, etc.

But . . . just not sold on the defense. Have seen the swiss cheese D too many seasons in a row plus losing Bud and Z to make me a believer yet.

That being said, I can see six wins pretty readily, seven in the regular season is harder to find, but doable. Overall, would be thrilled with an 8-5 record (including bowl win), but would not be surprised to be really disappointed in another 5-7 season. Anything less than five wins would be an unmitigated disaster in year three . . . but an 8-4 regular season would be a really really special year, and it is not beyond the realm of possibility, IMO.

You're looking at 4-0 non-conference and 4-4 in the SEC? I'd love that scenario. Who are you pegging (aside from Vandy and UF as the other two wins?

Not beyond the realm of possibility but highly unlikely in my opinion. 8 wins seems about as likely as 8 losses this season. 6 would be great, especially with a bowl victory.

Love passionate football talk, well done!! I'm the same, so excited for the start of the season I can't stand it.

Big picture, we are a slowly but surely improving program and roster, we went from 2 wins to 5 from yr 1 to yr 2, I expect another steady season of progress. Get the heck out of here to the folks in the media & some fans with the line of "WELP WE MIGHT BE BETTER BUT STILL ONLY WIN 5 GAMES!". No, just no. 7-5 season is getting done in 2015, write it down. Several teams we lost too are going to be trending downward, Mizzou, Miss St, Louisville, Florida. Favorable schedule with the homegames, the off date, the timing with our less difficult OOC's.

Love our new OC, I expect to see much less side to side east west stuff and more slamming hard running right at the defense mixed in with passes downfield 15-20 yards or better.

Lots of concern about our defense with NFL losses at DE, but excited about the staffing changes Stoops made. The man saw that our defense needed help so he got rid of a weak link on the staff and brought in an excellent coach in Buh for our outside backers in our new emphasized 3-4 sets. And Stoops stepping in to help out where he 1st made his name at Miami (FL), getting hands on coaching to our corners who need help.

Doesnt get talked about much since it isnt exciting, but I expect our special teams to be excellent. we have outstanding placekicker & punter. But it will be interesting how the coaching & coordinating goes, for the 1st time since maybe the Mumme days UK does not have a specific special teams coordinator, the duties are split up & spread out among just about all of the staff. Well maybe not interesting, it could be worrying and frightening, lol.

People who suggest we we struggle to get to 6 or 7 wins must not think we are very good. We have 8 home games and 2 winnable road games. So to say we will struggle to get 6 or 7 wins people are suggesting we get shut out on the road and lose 3 home games. That is not likely to happen imo.

We're 32 days away as I post this, from turning on the lights in the new Commonwealth Stadium, filling the bleachers, and kicking off the season. Here are some things to look forward to!

1. We will see a much more consistent team this year.
Patrick Towles started off playing terrific last season. When the rest of the team fell apart, his performance fell apart. I attribute that to youth on both sides of the ball, and lack of depth. Offensively, Neal Brown made some stupid calls (QB sneak on 4th and 10 maybe?), played a lot of east-west ball, even when it was evident that it didn't work. Sometimes, it was a surprise to see us throw it downfield more than 3 times in a game, and frankly, I just don't think he was on the same page as Coach Stoops.
Enter Shannon Dawson. He came in, and instantly made changes (namely, on the offensive line), moving our guards to a 3 point stance and reinforcing the need to play physical. If that's a mentality that he's had to push onto players as soon as he comes into the program, it tells me that our offensive line wasn't used to their potential. West Virginia had a physical, and often praised offensive line, and we pull in more talent than they do. I'm confident (based on Dawson's own comments) that this offense has all of the pieces that it needs to be incredibly successful. I think a year in college football getting used to the life of a collegiate student-athlete will pay dividends to our on-field production. I also expect to see a star emerge from the receiving corps in the process (I expect Garrett Johnson, but see Dorian Baker with a lot of potential to be a star as well).

Defensively, the staff has been very positive this off-season; as positive as they have been in their time at UK. Last year, linebackers have had issues getting into position on defense, and it would result in teams breaking off big runs. Coach Elliot is adamant that UK has shored up that issue. We also had issues with our CB's making plays. That could also be attributed to being out of proper position (our CB's have the ability to make plays, we've seen the flashes, we just haven't seen it come to fruition entirely). As our CB's go into their senior seasons, I fully expect them to be able to set themselves up to make big plays this season. Last year, they were responsible for only 3 of Kentucky's 16 interceptions. It was an improvement from the year before, but not a good enough improvement. Despite that, Kentucky was one of the best in the SEC (maybe the best?) at preventing explosive plays. The staff is working towards building an opportunistic defense that makes a lot of plays, in the form of a bend-don't-break defense. We've recruiting a lot of long, rangy, fast CB's, and some terrific safeties. Those are pieces that are essential to stopping teams in the red-zone. Being able to quickly react to the run on the perimeter, while having the speed, length, and athleticism to keep the ball away from big receivers. The defense had the bend aspect down (really doing an outstanding job at keeping the ball in front of them in the passing game), but the "don't break" aspect has to be shown this season. Playing in proper position and recruiting the personnel that we've recruited is essential to that.

2. We finally have SEC speed.
A lot of size, a lot of speed. Having a QB that is 6'5, 240#, running a 4.6 forty, and being ultra shifty is a real luxury, especially with the arm that he has. Having a player with the speed, and field vision that Boom Williams has, another luxury. Having the most advanced S&C program in the country in all sports, the biggest luxury of all.
At the SEC media days, Jordan Swindle commented on the improvements in our team's physical well being, stating how two years ago, UK only had 5 players that could run 19 mph, and at that point in time, Kentucky had 33 players that could run that speed. At a later date, Korem was interviewed, and that comment was brought up. Korem mentioned that there were actually 31 players that ran 20 mph!

Math time folks:
1.0 yard per second = ~2.0 mph
40 yards / 5 second = 8 yards/second = ~16 mph
40 yards / 4.4 sec. = 9.1 yards/second = ~18.2 mph
40 yards / 4 seconds = 10 yards/second = ~20 mph

For perspective, when Boom Williams broke out for his first touchdown against Ohio, he was clocked at 21.7 mph, and this is a man that made a lot of very fast, athletic teams look slow in the open field.

Think about that for a moment. Once guys have accelerated to the point that they're running full-speed, there are 31 guys on this team that run 40 yards in nearly 4 seconds flat. Hey, hopefully some play WR, then I bet Coach Dawson will be real happy about throwing the ball downfield!

3. We also have SEC size.
The joy of having a defense where 10 of the 11 starters are upperclassmen? They're so much more physically developed than kids out of high school. For a defense that is mostly revolved around speed, the size is pretty tremendous, especially in the linebacking corps.

Teams like Mizzou (outstanding run defense), will be fielding linebackers that weigh 235, 230, and 230 for their starters.
Georgia will start 3 linebackers weighing 230, 252, and 237.
Alabama will start linebackers weighing 252, 240, 258, and 252 (They also run a 3-4 base package).
Kentucky will start linebackers weighing 255 (Forrest), 252 (Hatcher), 272 (Johnson), and 225 (Flannigan), while having players with good size backing them up.

Not bad size compared to other SEC defenses that typically do a good job of stopping the run. As mentioned previously, it'll all come down to how the staff gets these guys into position. They have the speed and size to stop people, now they just have to be able to get where they need to be. The linebackers did a good job with that against Louisville to end the season, and the staff seems confident coming out of the off-season in that regard. Makes me feel good about the future of Kentucky's run defense.

As for other positions, we're on par with the SEC in every regard. We're not playing with slow, or undersized players anymore. That alone will take us a long way.

4. I'm confident that we will win at least seven games, possibly eight, before bowl season!
If I had to pick out wins right now, I'm going to say:

UL-Lafayette
Florida
Mizzou
Eastern Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Charlotte
Louisville
I don't think this team is any faster than last year's team. In fact, some speed was lost when Heard, Blue, and Robinson left. What we have now, that we haven't had in quite a while, is SEC quality depth at every position on the field. This is a bigger, deeper, more talented team. We will be better at every position on the field except defensive end and possibly offensive left tackle. Our offense will be much better. Our special teams should be better. If our defense is better, look out. We will see how well our defensive personnel fit into the 3-4. I have predicted many times before on other threads that we will win 6-7 games this year including Louisville, and go to a bowl. I'm sticking with that prediction. Winning 8 games isn't out of the question, but everything will have to fall perfectly into place for that to happen.

Agreed on Florida and Mizzou. As for Georgia, this is pretty common for them. They have a difficult time with Florida (regardless of how bad), and Steve Spurrier (South Carolina), even though they're a far superior team to either of them. Not sure why, but that's just how it's been for a while.

As for Louisville, I would be shocked if they're a better team, 10 wins or not (and I'd be very surprised at 10 wins). I think they're going to have a difficult time making things come together at most positions.

I actually didn't consider Louisville to be that great last year, so producing the same caliber team this year, to me, is not some daunting task. IMO, they clearly took a step back last year from 2013. They had a very good defense, and a very inconsistent, and at times, pedestrian, offense because of extreme inexperience & injury issues at the QB spot, especially when the true freshmen was at QB.

QB play will surely take a noticeable step forward for them this year because same kids return under a great QB staff, but success will come only if rest of offense comes together. They have talented kids on offense, and a talented staff, but lots of new pieces that have to learn to play together as a unit, and that could take awhile. Their defense is where I think many are under-selling them. I'll be really surprised if they don't have another top-20 defense, and few more that go in the top few rounds of the draft. And with that, you will have a chance to win a lot of games as long as your offense can protect the football....something they had trouble doing last year due to QB youth.

As of now, I'm guessing the Cats will win 6 or 7 games. I kind of feel like Tskware, confident offense will improve with better QB play & more experience at the skill positions, but still skeptical about the defense.

Reactions: Turnerville
People who suggest we we struggle to get to 6 or 7 wins must not think we are very good. We have 8 home games and 2 winnable road games. So to say we will struggle to get 6 or 7 wins people are suggesting we get shut out on the road and lose 3 home games. That is not likely to happen imo.

That's pretty much exactly what I think will happen. Except I think UK will beat Vanderbilt in Nashville. I think a win at either Starkville or Columbia SC is not beyond the realm of possibility, but probably not both and both are more unlikely than likely. I don't see UGA as being a winnable road game in any scenario. Then as far as home games I think UT, AU, Mizzou are all likely losses at home with Louisville and Florida in the toss-up category.

Last edited:
You're looking at 4-0 non-conference and 4-4 in the SEC? I'd love that scenario. Who are you pegging (aside from Vandy and UF as the other two wins?

Did not say it was likely, in fact, going 8-4 regular season is highly unlikely.

But just to play what if:

beat the three turds (3)

Miss State, UL, Vandy, USC = won two of four last year, this year we have to win three of four (3)

Auburn and Florida = big, big home games, have to pull an upset over one of them and finally get over the hump. Everyone focuses on the Gators, but have not beaten Auburn in Lexington since 1966 either (1)

Missouri and Tennessee = an upset possibility, Missouri seems more likely IMO, but have to concede that they have handled us easily the last three years, and have won the SEC East two years running. Tennessee is unlikely, have recruited a lot better than us, have killed us easily 20 or 25 times in the last 30 years, and have the better coach. Sorry, but it is the truth. (1)

Georgia in Athens? Uh, no.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
WOW. Conjecture, a losing culture and a fan base so beaten down with broken promises, inept athletic directors and little or no commitment results in all the above posts.

At the end of the day, no one truly believes UK can win and be competitive in the SEC. That's one reason there are no sellout at CWS despite a major renovation

I actually didn't consider Louisville to be that great last year, so producing the same caliber team this year, to me, is not some daunting task. IMO, they clearly took a step back last year from 2013. They had a very good defense, and a very inconsistent, and at times, pedestrian, offense because of extreme inexperience & injury issues at the QB spot, especially when the true freshmen was at QB.

QB play will surely take a noticeable step forward for them this year because same kids return under a great QB staff, but success will come only if rest of offense comes together. They have talented kids on offense, and a talented staff, but lots of new pieces that have to learn to play together as a unit, and that could take awhile. Their defense is where I think many are under-selling them. I'll be really surprised if they don't have another top-20 defense, and few more that go in the top few rounds of the draft. And with that, you will have a chance to win a lot of games as long as your offense can protect the football....something they had trouble doing last year due to QB youth.

As of now, I'm guessing the Cats will win 6 or 7 games. I kind of feel like Tskware, confident offense will improve with better QB play & more experience at the skill positions, but still skeptical about the defense.

How much depth do you think they have? It's incredibly doubtful that they lose the players that they lost, and hope to be as effective on either side of the ball.

Did not say it was likely, in fact, going 8-4 regular season is highly unlikely.

But just to play what if:

beat the three turds (3)

Miss State, UL, Vandy, USC = won two of four last year, this year we have to win three of four (3)

Auburn and Florida = big, big home games, have to pull an upset over one of them and finally get over the hump. Everyone focuses on the Gators, but have not beaten Auburn in Lexington since 1966 either (1)

Missouri and Tennessee = an upset possibility, Missouri seems more likely IMO, but have to concede that they have handled us easily the last three years, and have won the SEC East two years running. Tennessee is unlikely, have recruited a lot better than us, have killed us easily 20 or 25 times in the last 30 years, and have the better coach. Sorry, but it is the truth. (1)

Georgia in Athens? Uh, no.

Mizzou handled us easily? What? Maybe the year before, but what was last year's score AT Columbia. Remind me, Tskware.

I don't think this team is any faster than last year's team. In fact, some speed was lost when Heard, Blue, and Robinson left. What we have now, that we haven't had in quite a while, is SEC quality depth at every position on the field. This is a bigger, deeper, more talented team. We will be better at every position on the field except defensive end and possibly offensive left tackle. Our offense will be much better. Our special teams should be better. If our defense is better, look out. We will see how well our defensive personnel fit into the 3-4. I have predicted many times before on other threads that we will win 6-7 games this year including Louisville, and go to a bowl. I'm sticking with that prediction. Winning 8 games isn't out of the question, but everything will have to fall perfectly into place for that to happen.
Badet is one of the fastest guys on the team coming off medical. West and Edwards are really fast both ran 21mph with GPS time. Rs and freshmen Cb's are bigger and faster than the,Sr.

The only speed we lost was bud. Everyone coming in is as fast or faster then the other guys... just not experienced.

-i agree with tenn having better talent...not sure im sold that BJ is a better coach. Please elaborate

He does have a winning record as a coach so that's a start. I like Stoops though, I think they both good coaches. I just think Stoops is having to grow into the job of being an SEC coach where Jones sort of figured the intricacies out in the mid-majors. Jones' Central Michigan team was really good, especially in his final year there. Then he took over at Cincinnati and contrary to popular belief, Brian Kelly left the cabinet bare when he left. Jones did a good job getting them back to 9-10 win seasons. I think both Jones and Stoops have the potential to make noise in the SEC, I just think Stoops has a tougher hill to climb.

Wasn't it two touchdowns?

No. 10 points. Not really blowing the doors off, especially on their home field. Since then, Mizzou has lost their 4 best receivers, their 2 star defensive ends (Ray and Golden), 2 of their replacement defensive ends, and a 1000 yard rusher.

No. 10 points. Not really blowing the doors off, especially on their home field. Since then, Mizzou has lost their 4 best receivers, their 2 star defensive ends, 2 of their replacement defensive ends, and a 1000 yard rusher.

Wasn't Mizzou worse at home last season than they were on the road? Lost to Georgia (stomped by Georgia), lost to Indiana, barely beat Arkansas, beat Kentucky by 10, beat Vanderbilt by 14 all at home. On the road they had performances like theirs against Florida, managed to squeak by South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas A&M.

Last edited:
Wasn't Mizzou worse at home last season than they were on the road?

Somehow, I doubt it. They lost to Indiana at home, but that has more to do with Mizzou being worse early in the season than it does being worse at home. When your motto is "Those who win in November will be remembered", then your team probably struggles early in the season.
Teams don't just magically get worse by playing with the support of the fans behind them. Be realistic here. I know, and you know, when you lose two-deep on your defensive ends (which Mizzou revolves their defense around, the pass rush), and lost that many offensive weapons with an incredibly inconsistent QB like Mauk, you can't seriously expect a team to maintain the success that they've had. What, are the 3rd string DE's on both sides just as good as Shane Ray and Markus Golden too? They gonna pull another 1000 yard rusher out of their a**? Are they gonna be able to just walk 4 more receivers off the bench, with half of them being NFL caliber?

Somehow, I doubt it. They lost to Indiana at home, but that has more to do with Mizzou being worse early in the season than it does being worse at home. When your motto is "Those who win in November will be remembered", then your team probably struggles early in the season.
Teams don't just magically get worse by playing with the support of the fans behind them. Be realistic here. I know, and you know, when you lose two-deep on your defensive ends (which Mizzou revolves their defense around, the pass rush), and lost that many offensive weapons with an incredibly inconsistent QB like Mauk, you can't seriously expect a team to maintain the success that they've had. What, are the 3rd string DE's on both sides just as good as Shane Ray and Markus Golden too? They gonna pull another 1000 yard rusher out of their a**? Are they gonna be able to just walk 4 more receivers off the bench, with half of them being NFL caliber?

I updated my post.There's a lot of reason to think Mizzou played better on the road. But no, I don't think Mizzou will be as good. I just still think they might be an 8-10 win team.

Georgia won a game that Georgia should have won. To that point, we put up a helluva lot more points on UGA than Mizzou did. Also, they beat Arkansas by 7 points at home. Arkansas lost to Alabama by 1 point, so I'm not sure I see what you're getting at here?

That Arkansas game was their best home performance of the season IMO. But my point is that Mizzou lost a ton of talent after the 2013 season. They still managed to win the East. Yes, it was down. Yes, they have taken advantage of the opportunities given to them. And, no I don't expect them to continue winning the East every year. That said, they have had 1 losing season since 2005; they have 5 10+ win seasons since 2007. They are 3-0 against Kentucky since they've been in the SEC even during their single losing season.

That Arkansas game was their best home performance of the season IMO. But my point is that Mizzou lost a ton of talent after the 2013 season. They still managed to win the East. Yes, it was down. Yes, they have taken advantage of the opportunities given to them. And, no I don't expect them to continue winning the East every year. That said, they have had 1 losing season since 2005; they have 5 10+ win seasons since 2007. They are 3-0 against Kentucky since they've been in the SEC even during their single losing season.

Yes, and UK was at its worst in many, many years, and that is saying something. But I want you to give me the odds that 2 players the caliber of Golden and Ray come out of the 3rd string? If you think that players that good will be on the ends next season, you're naive.
That is my point. Usually, the talent that leaves the program is controllable, but there are few teams in the country that can lose that much, and have a successful season. You can buy Mizzou if you want to (it seems like you want to, at least), but I'm not.

And before I am accused of it, I'm not a Mizzou fan. I'd love to see them at the very bottom of the SEC, but Pinkel and Saban are both disciples of Don James and that is an excellent coaching tree. Regardless of how I feel about them personally, they are two of the best coaches in the SEC. What Pinkel has been able to do with the level of talent he has is nothing short of amazing. They lost more talent in 2013 and still managed to win at a high level. I'll stick with my prediction that they will win 8-10 games.

-winning record? 12-13 at tenn with loads of talent. Mac and Metro conference wins dont come into play.

-more hc experience for sure...will lower level success translate to SEC? We will see...definitely has the athletes to win.

And before I am accused of it, I'm not a Mizzou fan. I'd love to see them at the very bottom of the SEC, but Pinkel and Saban are both disciples of Don James and that is an excellent coaching tree. Regardless of how I feel about them personally, they are two of the best coaches in the SEC. What Pinkel has been able to do with the level of talent he has is nothing short of amazing. They lost more talent in 2013 and still managed to win at a high level. I'll stick with my prediction that they will win 8-10 games.

-you are a UK bball guy and a tenn football guy correct?

-i agree Pinkel is an outstanding coach.

Very good OP. I'm fairly taken aback that folks act like we've never ran a 3-4. We were in a 3-4 set on first downs Stoops first year and last year we were in 3-4 sets unless we were in the nickel. This year will be more of the same but I believe the staff finally has a good handle on what it takes to run the 3-4. BTW, we've been recruiting to the 3-4 since about the middle of 2013.

Reactions: Levibooty
-winning record? 12-13 at tenn with loads of talent. Mac and Metro conference wins dont come into play.

-more hc experience for sure...will lower level success translate to SEC? We will see...definitely has the athletes to win.

Seems to have worked all right for Nick Saban, Gary Pinkel, Gus Malzahn, and Hugh Freeze. Frankly I would rather a coach get some head coaching experience before being thrown into the rough-and-tumble SEC. Florida is banking on that to be a good indicator with McElwain and it may, but it'll take him a couple of years. As to that 12-13 record, Derek Dooley didn't leave Tennessee in much better shape than UK was. Can't really judge a team by that. It's better to judge them based on how they are improving.

-you are a UK bball guy and a tenn football guy correct?

-i agree Pinkel is an outstanding coach.

Not really. I'm a UK and UT fan in both sports. If one of them would move to a different conference my life would become infinitely easier :) I grew up in a divided household (mom's family all bleed blue, dad's family all bleed orange) and did my undergrad at UT and got my masters at UK.

-throw in Meyer, Tressel et al. Experience is definitely a plus...but for every guy You and I have listed there are multiple coaches that have jumped into bigger jobs after succeeding at lower level and flamed out. We dont yet know which camp BJ is in.

Reactions: kyisinmyblood
-throw in Meyer, Tressel et al. Experience is definitely a plus...but for every guy You and I have listed there are multiple coaches that have jumped into bigger jobs after succeeding at lower level and flamed out. We dont yet know which camp BJ is in.

All signs point up though. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the UT/UK game become the deciding game of the East in a couple of years.

Some excellent posts here. I would add that Stoops as a DC has always shown a significant improvement in defenses in year 3. Will that also be true of him as a head coach? IMO probably since he and DJ work so closely together.

Another thing is if you look at other programs comparatively we have had very little turn-over in staff and almost none on the roster. Thet means this team has now had 3 years here to come together and bond as a unit, to learn the systems and techniques the coaches have been teaching, to mature under the best high performance program in the country as they gain experience every day.

IOW they have done everything the right way. If you wrote a book on how to develop a football team this team is what you would see. This staff has been very successful at everything they have set out to do so far and I think this season Kentucky football takes another remarkable step forward. Don't know how many we will win, but I think it will be more than most people think.

-though I have no right to be(and you shouldn't care what I think)...I am happy to know you have legit interests in both schools and are not one of those frontrunner types. I can now read your posts without cynicism. I will however continue to make disparaging remarks about UT...because they are UT.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
ADVERTISEMENT