ADVERTISEMENT

Jurich continues pushing for stadium expansion

May 23, 2015
Tom Jurich recently spoke yet again on how hard he's pushing to expand Louisville's stadium whose capacity is now currently at 55,000 (only 6,000 shy of Kentucky's recently-reduced capacity). In Jurich's quotes it seems like he really realizes how important seating capacity is when it comes to the perception of a program; how much of a home-field advantage those extra seats offer; and how much pride a fanbase takes in it.

"I'm going to continue to look and push that stadium expansion," Jurich said on "Ramsey and Rutherford" on 93.9 The Ville. "I don't want to do it until we know we can do it right and have it first-class. I want it to be something much, much more than bowling in an end zone. Anybody can do that with bleachers; I'm not going to do that."

Jurich said he wants any expansion of the stadium, which has a current capacity of 55,000, to have "a lot of amenities and have it really tricked up so that really our fan base has something to be extremely proud of."

"Because it would probably be the last thing I do here as far as an expansion of the stadium," he said. "We don't really have anywhere else to go. That would give us a great opportunity to do it right and to make it look beautiful and just top that whole thing off."

He concluded: "We're still looking real hard and doing our due diligence on the stadium expansion, but I think we are moving that way."

I hate Louisville with all my heart, but you really have to admire an athletics director like this who has taken a program from mid-major to top-25 team and continues to try and one-up the state's traditional football team (that has twice the football fanbase, history, tradition, boosters, etc of Louisville).

With this coming stadium expansion it's clear that Jurich is working to further solidify Louisville's status as the state's dominant football program by having the largest football stadium in the state, which would be the last item on his check-list of goals in passing up Kentucky. As a Kentucky fan it's a really disheartening and helpless feeling to sit back and watch Louisville continue to push and rise in football, while Mitch Barnhart (who probably means well and seems like a really nice guy who wants to build a comprehensive athletics department rather than focusing on the dominant program) just doesn't really seem to have the vision and gumption, even though he has so so many more advantages than Jurich has to work with. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back and trade athletics directors. I know this post will probably get deleted (which is sad) but hopefully it won't, because maybe it's stuff like this that will push Barnhart to work even harder to build our football program.

According to the Courier-Journal a $55 million stadium expansion was approved in Louisville's capital plan (a list of all potential projects through 2022) in early June.

Last edited:
Good for them. Jurich has sold his soul and everything else to make UL what it is. Athletics runs that university and he is the most powerful man on campus. That's one reason why he has never left no other university would make him lord and czar almighty. They also wouldn't allow him to hire people like Petrino, keep Coach Abortion and Hurtt.

Tom Jurich recently spoke yet again on how hard he's pushing to expand Louisville's stadium whose capacity is now currently at 55,000 (only 6,000 shy of Kentucky's recently-reduced capacity). In Jurich's quotes it seems like he really realizes how important seating capacity is when it comes to the perception of a program; how much of a home-field advantage those extra seats offer; and how much pride a fanbase takes in it.

"I'm going to continue to look and push that stadium expansion," Jurich said on "Ramsey and Rutherford" on 93.9 The Ville. "I don't want to do it until we know we can do it right and have it first-class. I want it to be something much, much more than bowling in an end zone. Anybody can do that with bleachers; I'm not going to do that."

Jurich said he wants any expansion of the stadium, which has a current capacity of 55,000, to have "a lot of amenities and have it really tricked up so that really our fan base has something to be extremely proud of."

"Because it would probably be the last thing I do here as far as an expansion of the stadium," he said. "We don't really have anywhere else to go. That would give us a great opportunity to do it right and to make it look beautiful and just top that whole thing off."

He concluded: "We're still looking real hard and doing our due diligence on the stadium expansion, but I think we are moving that way."

I hate Louisville with all my heart, but you really have to admire an athletics director like this who has taken a program from mid-major to top-25 team and continues to try and one-up the state's traditional football team (that has twice the football fanbase, history, tradition, boosters, etc of Louisville).

With this coming stadium expansion it's clear that Jurich is working to further solidify Louisville's status as the state's dominant football program by having the largest football stadium in the state, which would be the last item on his check-list of goals in passing up Kentucky. As a Kentucky fan it's a really disheartening and helpless feeling to sit back and watch Louisville continue to push and rise in football, while Mitch Barnhart (who probably means well and seems like a really nice guy who wants to build a comprehensive athletics department rather than focusing on the dominant program) just doesn't really seem to have the vision and gumption, even though he has so so many more advantages than Jurich has to work with. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back and trade athletics directors. I know this post will probably get deleted (which is sad) but hopefully it won't, because maybe it's stuff like this that will push Barnhart to work even harder to build our football program.

According to the Courier-Journal a $55 million stadium expansion was approved in Louisville's capital plan (a list of all potential projects through 2022) in early June.

I wouldn't trade AD'S at all period.I'd like to have a little class any way.

Reactions: eacsxt
After this week I have to wonder what kind of person makes a post like this? A very nervous Nelly or a troll.

Pure comedy gold.

If Tom Jurich really wanted to give the fanbase something to approve of; he'd throw in a few more bars and plop an unemployed DJ on every unoccupied inch of turf in the stadium.

Or if he wants them to be proud of something... how bout not hiring philandering coaches and bringing in players with domestic abuse charges, drug use, and discipline problems. I think what he meant to say was he hoped they could be comfortable while trashed.

I've always said Texas should have hired Jurich when they hired Charlie Strong.

Let him do whatever he wants. At the end of the day, though Mitch won't say it, if we catch fire as it seems we might, and the demand is there, this "high value seat" talk will dry up and blow away, and you will see the west end zone luxury suites topped with a slightly cantilevered upper deck that could push capacity back north of 70,000. I doubt he is planning on adding 15,000 seats. It does, however, seem like this is all we have left on the table. The way they skinned the north side of the stadium it is hard to see even an eyebrow third level being added to it.

who-cares-lady-.gif

I've always said Texas should have hired Jurich when they hired Charlie Strong.

I've always said Texas has way too much class to consider jurich in any capacity, I was very surprised when they hired Strong, of course ESPN made him out to be the NROTY when everyone knows how the 11 class came about. Also of course you don't have to be a recruiter at Texas to get great classes, still they have slipped a great deal.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10

Cool. Go post it on the UL board. Not sure why you think anyone here cares.

I've always said Texas has way too much class to consider jurich in any capacity, I was very surprised when they hired Strong, of course ESPN made him out to be the NROTY when everyone knows how the 11 class came about. Also of course you don't have to be a recruiter at Texas to get great classes, still they have slipped a great deal.

Eh I think he has done a pretty remarkable job of making UL athletics matter. And that competition has made UK better because UK can't stand being second to UL in anything. So, in response UK has Calipari and now Stoops to bring the programs back above Louisville. Being second best in Kentucky will never be tolerated by UK. Once the football program is winning bowl games, UK fans should send Jurich a thank you note for reminding the UK administration to do what it takes to win. Besides, considering how terrible Texas' AD has been almost anyone would have been an improvement.

Reactions: brianpoe
PJS is the least user-friendly stadium I've set foot in, can't imagine why TJ would think 55 million would improve it when it's so piss poor already.

Are you sleeping under a rock or living in a cave?...Have you not seen what is going on in Lex...With the renovation of the stadium and the new "state of the art and one of a kind" practice and football facility coach Stoops says when they are completed that KENTUCKY'S football facilities will be as good or better than anything in the "country" not just KENTUCKY...You need to stop listening to those "little brothers"..

Eh I think he has done a pretty remarkable job of making UL athletics matter. And that competition has made UK better because UK can't stand being second to UL in anything. So, in response UK has Calipari and now Stoops to bring the programs back above Louisville. Being second best in Kentucky will never be tolerated by UK. Once the football program is winning bowl games, UK fans should send Jurich a thank you note for reminding the UK administration to do what it takes to win. Besides, considering how terrible Texas' AD has been almost anyone would have been an improvement.

How long have you been around?

From disrupting academics by scheduling games every night of the week (including high school footballs night) to personally vouching for habitual criminals like Willie to hiring (and keeping) adulterers and abortionists to lead UL's young athletes to hiring and refusing (I really don't think he could have) to fire the biggest cheater around to rehiring BP (and throwing a fortune at him in the process) to the control he exercises over the whole college he has made a joke of UL as an academic institution, even their big fans admit it is just win baby at UL, regardless of what kind of players or COACHES you have to use to do it.

Sorry, a STATE UNIVERSITY could never get away with the pure crap he has pulled at a city college, and very few would even consider sinking to his level.

The only State University that might even consider him would be your primary football factory, TU.

The thing that got mitch off his butt was the fans strike, the money is the important thing to him, which is why the seating was reduced by 6,000 fans to bring in more big money fans in their soundproof booths.

Last edited:
How long have you been around?

From disrupting academics by scheduling games every night of the week (including high school footballs night) to personally vouching for habitual criminals like Willie to hiring (and keeping) adulterers and abortionists to lead UL's young athletes to hiring and refusing (I really don't think he could have) to fire the biggest cheater around to rehiring BP (and throwing a fortune at him in the process) to the control he exercises over the whole college he has made a joke of UL as an academic institution, even their big fans admit it is just win baby at UL, regardless of what kind of players or COACHES you have to use to do it.

Sorry, a STATE UNIVERSITY could never get away with the pure crap he has pulled at a city college, and very few would even consider sinking to his level.

The only State University that might even consider him would be your primary football factory, TU.

The thing that got mitch off his butt was the fans strike, the money is the important thing to him, which is why the seating was reduced by 6,000 fans to bring in more big money fans in their soundproof booths.

How long have I been around what? This board? A year or so... Long enough to realize that fanatic and logic never go hand-in-hand. I love that the hate between UL and UK is so strong but I prefer reason over passion most of the time. One thing I have noticed about this fan base, perhaps more than others is that fans seem to prefer to blame outside forces over any internal force. That's not me. I don't have to like Louisville (and I don't) to respect what they have accomplished. Growing up I always considered UL to be about the same as EKU or WKU. I guess Denny Crum might have been a good coach before I was born, but I don't remember their "glory days". Jurich gave got them into a real conference, got them one of the greatest (yes I know he is hated here) college basketball coaches in the game and made them a into one of the top basketball programs in the country. Then he took a chance on Charlie Strong when nobody else would and gave them a top 25 football team. I don't like Petrino, but I do understand the hire...he wanted them to keep winning and despite all Petrino's character flaws, he does win games. I'm not alone in assessing Jurich as one of the best ADs in the country. It's widely acknowledged outside of BBN. I look forward to his retirement.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/sto...illes-success-the-countrys-best-ad-tom-jurich

Tommy Turtleneck sleeps with the Devil.All his underhanded deals like the Chikkin Pit lease.uavel gives away thousands of tickets to UPS.GE FORD and others to try and fill that band box..He ain't fooling nobody.[banana]

I'm noticing the OP hasn't returned to defend his point of view. I'm much more concerned about what UK has done, is doing, and will do than what the folks at the city college of Louisville are doing.

I think the OP is being a bit harsh on Barnhart. Truth be told, he has a better athletic dept. than UL. We're ahead of them in all of the directors' cup (or whatever they call those cups these days that measure all-sports results).

With that said, getting UL into the ACC is Jurich's defining legacy (until the house of cards falls and all of the skeletons start coming out of the closet). He has had a better football program than UK and football counts more than every other sport (including basketball).

I think reducing capacity at CWS was not a smart move. Adds to a perception problem for uK. In reality, we have never had trouble filling our stadium when the team is decent-to-good. Not sure why we went in that direction. I'm also not sure why Zurich wants expansion (beyond wanting to be larger than UK), as UL never really has the stands full except when FSU or UK come to town (and yes, I know that Zurich reports a sellout every game even when its obvious that no one is there b/c of Jewish holidays).

UK always wins the long-term battle with UL. Better brand, more resources, more fans, better conference, etc etc. Unfortunately, UK has mismanaged its football program over the years, but they have finally got their shit together. Order will be restored soon.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
I dont think he wants to be so much bigger in capacity but a even more comfortable Fan Experience...When UofL expands I would hope it would not be larger than 63K all Chair Backs with New Chairs in the Entire Stadium... also focus on Loges, Suites, Improved Scoreboard, more concessions and even better restrooms....also, I know this was spoken in another Thread WiFi much like it is in Levi Stadium for the 49ers...ie, Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to become the College Version of that NFL Stadium...Fan Comfort is the most important thing now in Stadiums...especially in the Age of the 80 Inch HD Flat Screen...

The New Stadium Experience as a Louisville Guy and Season Ticket Holder hopes that will happen with a Papa John's Cardinal Stadium Upgrade...hey I can dream...this is Levi Stadium in the Bay Area...they figured it out:

WiFi

Speaking of the on-field action, 49ers vice president of technology Dan Williams said he and his crew noticed a dip in engagement during the team’s preseason game against the Chargers. As the product on the field gets better, he said, fans will naturally be more inclined to stow their smart phones.

But the devices themselves and speedy rate at which users can consume data inside of the stadium is meant to enhance the in-venue experience.

And many are already taking advantage.

Here are some figures and facts:

• 400 miles of cabling, 70 of which are for WiFI
  • 1,200 access points, 600 of which support the 45,000-seat lower bowl
  • 1 access point to every 100 seats within the bowl
  • Levi’s® Stadium became the first stadium to carry 40 Gb/s of Internet capacity
  • At peak during the 49ers-Broncos preseason game, there 20,000 concurrent users, or an average of 15,000 for the afternoon
Mobile App

Levi’s® Stadium business operations director Chris Giles explained that he and his team sought to create three types of core features within the application: ticketing and parking, food and beverage service and high-quality video replays in addition to a tie-in with the 49ers fan loyalty program, Faithful 49.

Some interesting notes from Giles:

• 80,000 app downloads thus far
  • Half of all season-ticket holders have linked their ticket account within the app
  • During the 49ers-Chargers game, 1,000-plus food-and-drink deliveries were made in a 10-to-12 minute range after a given order was placed (the goal is to be under 20 minutes)
  • Many fans are taking use of express pick-up lines at concession stands

Last edited:
"a lot of amenities and have it really tricked up so that really our fan base has something to be extremely proud of."

Translation - more party deck space for fans to congregate on to get drunk and ignore the game.

Reactions: JHB4UK
How long have I been around what? This board? A year or so... Long enough to realize that fanatic and logic never go hand-in-hand. I love that the hate between UL and UK is so strong but I prefer reason over passion most of the time. One thing I have noticed about this fan base, perhaps more than others is that fans seem to prefer to blame outside forces over any internal force. That's not me. I don't have to like Louisville (and I don't) to respect what they have accomplished. Growing up I always considered UL to be about the same as EKU or WKU. I guess Denny Crum might have been a good coach before I was born, but I don't remember their "glory days". Jurich gave got them into a real conference, got them one of the greatest (yes I know he is hated here) college basketball coaches in the game and made them a into one of the top basketball programs in the country. Then he took a chance on Charlie Strong when nobody else would and gave them a top 25 football team. I don't like Petrino, but I do understand the hire...he wanted them to keep winning and despite all Petrino's character flaws, he does win games. I'm not alone in assessing Jurich as one of the best ADs in the country. It's widely acknowledged outside of BBN. I look forward to his retirement.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/sto...illes-success-the-countrys-best-ad-tom-jurich
You have to be 30 or less...Otis has had an excellent bb program for a longtime and Denny Crum-not Benedict- took them to another level...Hell, Benedict was about to be replaced until Cal was hired and lit a fire under his a$$...As much as I dislike Jurich because of his gestapo mentality ways you have to give him and Otis fanbase for coming from nothing, especially in football, to have a very good athletic program...With that being said...I hope they lose every game in every sport:football::basketball::baseball::cool2:[cheers]

I think the OP is being a bit harsh on Barnhart. Truth be told, he has a better athletic dept. than UL. We're ahead of them in all of the directors' cup (or whatever they call those cups these days that measure all-sports results).

With that said, getting UL into the ACC is Jurich's defining legacy (until the house of cards falls and all of the skeletons start coming out of the closet). He has had a better football program than UK and football counts more than every other sport (including basketball).

I think reducing capacity at CWS was not a smart move. Adds to a perception problem for uK. In reality, we have never had trouble filling our stadium when the team is decent-to-good. Not sure why we went in that direction. I'm also not sure why Zurich wants expansion (beyond wanting to be larger than UK), as UL never really has the stands full except when FSU or UK come to town (and yes, I know that Zurich reports a sellout every game even when its obvious that no one is there b/c of Jewish holidays).

UK always wins the long-term battle with UL. Better brand, more resources, more fans, better conference, etc etc. Unfortunately, UK has mismanaged its football program over the years, but they have finally got their shit together. Order will be restored soon.
Blame the reduction in seating where it belongs...ON THE STUDENT SECTION...They are pitiful...Go to an sec road game and you will see what I mean...I have no problem with the temporary loss of seats because when it is time that can be addressed...#ALL IN

PaPa Johns has the smallest concourses of any football stadium I've ever been in, nothing fan friendly about that.

Reactions: brianpoe
I dont think he wants to be so much bigger in capacity but a even more comfortable Fan Experience...When UofL expands I would hope it would not be larger than 63K all Chair Backs with New Chairs in the Entire Stadium... also focus on Loges, Suites, Improved Scoreboard, more concessions and even better restrooms....also, I know this was spoken in another Thread WiFi much like it is in Levi Stadium for the 49ers...ie, Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to become the College Version of that NFL Stadium...Fan Comfort is the most important thing now in Stadiums...especially in the Age of the 80 Inch HD Flat Screen...

The New Stadium Experience as a Louisville Guy and Season Ticket Holder hopes that will happen with a Papa John's Cardinal Stadium Upgrade...hey I can dream...this is Levi Stadium in the Bay Area...they figured it out:

WiFi

Speaking of the on-field action, 49ers vice president of technology Dan Williams said he and his crew noticed a dip in engagement during the team’s preseason game against the Chargers. As the product on the field gets better, he said, fans will naturally be more inclined to stow their smart phones.

But the devices themselves and speedy rate at which users can consume data inside of the stadium is meant to enhance the in-venue experience.

• Levi’s® Stadium became the first stadium to carry 40 Gb/s of Internet capacity
  • At peak during the 49ers-Broncos preseason game, there 20,000 concurrent users, or an average of 15,000 for the afternoon
Mobile App

Levi’s® Stadium business operations director Chris Giles explained that he and his team sought to create three types of core features within the application: ticketing and parking, food and beverage service and high-quality video replays in addition to a tie-in with the 49ers fan loyalty program, Faithful 49.

• Half of all season-ticket holders have linked their ticket account within the app
  • During the 49ers-Chargers game, 1,000-plus food-and-drink deliveries were made in a 10-to-12 minute range after a given order was placed (the goal is to be under 20 minutes)
Yes...the pink seats are looking a little...girly:smiley::smiley::sunglasses::cool2:

Blame the reduction in seating where it belongs...ON THE STUDENT SECTION...They are pitiful...Go to an sec road game and you will see what I mean...I have no problem with the temporary loss of seats because when it is time that can be addressed...#ALL IN

Didn't one poster say the other day that his son that was enrolling in UK couldn't get a student ticket? I will bet there will be a whole lot of students turned away once UK starts to win a few games, in fact looks like it is already here from his post.

With mitch it is always about the money, and I doubt if he can find a good use for all of it coming in now, probably a lot more going to academics. Which is about ten times better than what jurich uses his for, still confused about who he was bidding against for BP's services. But his students have deep pockets I guess.

You have to be 30 or less...Otis has had an excellent bb program for a longtime and Denny Crum-not Benedict- took them to another level...Hell, Benedict was about to be replaced until Cal was hired and lit a fire under his a$$...As much as I dislike Jurich because of his gestapo mentality ways you have to give him and Otis fanbase for coming from nothing, especially in football, to have a very good athletic program...With that being said...I hope they lose every game in every sport:football::basketball::baseball::cool2:[cheers]

This post makes an excellent point (and there are plenty of others that could be made) about UL and Jurich. The statement about Benedict on the hot seat until Cal lit a fire under his ass. 100% accurate. Jurich and Pitino's relationship went totally bad when they were basically sucking and losing in the first round of the tournament to teams like Morehead (no disrespect to Morehead but they shouldn't be able to beat UL). That love affair was over. Pitino got busy and improved his program and Jurich ran back and kissed his ass. Jurich is a first class ass hole and I hope the day comes when people see that.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10

WiFi

Mobile App

Too bad Levi's Stadium sucks so much. I'd rather watch a game in the Stick than that miserable place.

29 actually. Good guess.

Anybody that likes Jurich is equivalent to Jim Jones Guyana tragedy. All you have to do is look or listen to him and it screams phoney. I worry sometimes hoe people can't sniff out bullshitters.

ADVERTISEMENT