ADVERTISEMENT

Jones update on roster construction

? I'm not following what you're addressing in my post. I'm not talking about pro leagues but about high school and college athletes, and I clearly said there has to be a balance. Sorry. Maybe I'm too tired after a long day
Wasn't knocking on your comment just piggy backing it to address others saying that all players are mercs. Just pointing out that wanting to make as much as possible isn't the same as being a sellout. LOL.

Reactions: Girthang
Pope is a smart dude and I bet if he posted on the Rafters he’d be saying the same thing about the balance between invoking tradition and making sure checks clear.

The front of the jersey stuff is mostly for the fans and I’m ecstatic about that aspect. I also think that’s Pope’s biggest motivator and that’s genuine and not a sound bite. So many got tired of that aspect of Cal, maybe his worst aspect or at least the one that did him in finally. His lack of connection with the fans.

I disagree with any notion that there are no top end players who also would like to hear that pitch and who also take pride in winning for the tradition of Kentucky. For being part of something bigger than themselves. Those kids/young men do exist.

That’s the top level recruit target for Pope IMO. I think they’re rare but I think they exist. We get lucky every once in a while with a Darius Miller or a Reed Sheppard. We need to be proactive and actively look for that player and I think Pope will and he will be successful.

The biggest takeaway from the press conference to me was how much Pope kept referring to his 96 teammates and their bond. He also talked about how building a roster is like making a stew.

Pope can sell the UK tradition and I think he has the rare insight of being part of a team that achieved the ultimate of excellence in the program’s storied history. He can sell that too.

He knows what it looks like and I am rooting like hell for him to make it happen.
Yep... You can go to the nba and win in March and enjoy playing at the school you attend. They aren't mutually exclusive. LOL.

Wasn't knocking on your comment just piggy backing it to address others saying that all players are mercs. Just pointing out that wanting to make as much as possible isn't the same as being a sellout. LOL.

I see what you're saying now. I need sleep is all

Reactions: hmt5000
Pope is a smart dude and I bet if he posted on the Rafters he’d be saying the same thing about the balance between invoking tradition and making sure checks clear.

The front of the jersey stuff is mostly for the fans and I’m ecstatic about that aspect. I also think that’s Pope’s biggest motivator and that’s genuine and not a sound bite. So many got tired of that aspect of Cal, maybe his worst aspect or at least the one that did him in finally. His lack of connection with the fans.

I disagree with any notion that there are no top end players who also would like to hear that pitch and who also take pride in winning for the tradition of Kentucky. For being part of something bigger than themselves. Those kids/young men do exist.

That’s the top level recruit target for Pope IMO. I think they’re rare but I think they exist. We get lucky every once in a while with a Darius Miller or a Reed Sheppard. We need to be proactive and actively look for that player and I think Pope will and he will be successful.

The biggest takeaway from the press conference to me was how much Pope kept referring to his 96 teammates and their bond. He also talked about how building a roster is like making a stew.

Pope can sell the UK tradition and I think he has the rare insight of being part of a team that achieved the ultimate of excellence in the program’s storied history. He can sell that too.

He knows what it looks like and I am rooting like hell for him to make it happen.

Well said, and agree completely

Yea I think lots of people are taking this out of context and out of our expectations. Nobody held a grudge that Mercer went pro early or Wall or Cousins. The problem was people who clearly weren't ready that went just because they could. A few got a second contract but several of those dudes played 2 or 3 years max and then were off to obscurity. Having true NBA talent is the goal but it just needs to have some skill behind the potential.

Reactions: KT34
I think another big thing he talked about was the guys holding each other accountable. Get work on, make sure your brothers are getting work in
One thing I know. If he learned anything from Pitino it was getting teams to get in shape and that was part of the game plan, run teams to death. Wear them down and you can win by just sure effort

Yea I think lots of people are taking this out of context and out of our expectations. Nobody held a grudge that Mercer went pro early or Wall or Cousins. The problem was people who clearly weren't ready that went just because they could. A few got a second contract but several of those dudes played 2 or 3 years max and then were off to obscurity. Having true NBA talent is the goal but it just needs to have some skill behind the potential.
These NBA types need to understand for everyone who makes it, there are 50 that don’t. All the hype from agents, coaches, friends and hanger ons won’t get you in the league.

Reactions: POPE41 and hmt5000
reading on twitter that you should expect a few more big names in the portal as some are waiting on NIL money to be paid before announcing.

no idea who that would be

I think as much as we didn't care for Cal one thing he allowed UK to operate with was an NIL "discount". Players would come here knowing his track record of getting them to the next level so they'd be willing to take less to come play for him. That's not going to be the case for any coach other than if you landed one of the guys we all knew wouldn't come here.

Justin Edwards cost UK Knecht. So coaching decisions on roster hurt there more than NIL.

I believe Coach Pope's belief in the "Front of the Jersey" but these guys go anywhere for the most $/playing time and guarantees and it's just how it is. If you want to build the "Front of Jersey" culture you'll have a better chance in the future recruiting HS guys as core which he's up against this Spring. But the Portal? I mean that will make up majority of the '25 roster and they are mercenaries all the way.
I think Pope fully understands the situation, but I think his plan (hope) is to not blow the team up every year and start over. You won't be able to stop a kid that has an unexpected great year, thinks he can earn more somewhere else and puts his name out, but if you have a decent NIL budget you should be able to retain the key players you are building with. The front of the jersey kid is a kid that isn't going to be on any NBA mock draft board the day he arrives on campus but is able to contribute and develop on a multi-year plan.

Under Cal those kids never got a look, and if they did, they'd bolt after the first year because they realized Cal was never going to give them any serious play. Calipari was all too happy to do it because he was all about the instant gratification of players arriving and moving them to a bigger stage.

There is always going to be inequity, you'll always be competing with what the market will bear, but there can be a mix of kids who are being paid well with NIL AND want to be playing at a major D1 college. Pope is challenged to avoid filling up a team with kids that would just as soon play at Virginia Tech as UK as long as the money was the same, and focus on kids that like the idea of playing for a blueblood that can offer competitive NIL money.

So yea, UK fans should get used to the idea that 5 stars are going to be much less attracted to UK than before, but in exchange we'll get some guys that get better, older, stronger and will compete with 5 star freshmen who come in raw, weak and want to get the hell out of college as fast as they can.

Cal was about to lock up the Dybantsa, Wilson, Acuff, Thomas, Johnson class. All five of those guys will play in the NBA someday. They'd also have been joined by a second-year Quaintance, in all likelihood.

But here's the thing, I had lost hope that Cal could win, even with a class like that, which will be a historically good class and probably feature two to three top 20 picks.

He just lost his edge somewhere along the way and couldn't be trusted to win the way he always had won.

Reactions: westerncat
Cal was about to lock up the Dybantsa, Wilson, Acuff, Thomas, Johnson class. All five of those guys will play in the NBA someday. They'd also have been joined by a second-year Quaintance, in all likelihood.

But here's the thing, I had lost hope that Cal could win, even with a class like that, which will be a historically good class and probably feature two to three top 20 picks.

He just lost his edge somewhere along the way and couldn't be trusted to win the way he always had won.
Well, Cal most likely had two top ten picks on this team (and both were guards) and he lost in the first round. Unless Cal ever got a player like Booker, Towns, Shai , Malik, Fox or Bam, maybe we could win another title (oh wait) 😂.

Yeah I was shocked too as I don't feel he is a very genuine person nor has much of a mind for sports. Great business mind though.

I also noticed some of the UK people ushered Pope over to Matt and the other KSR folks there after he glad-handed the boosters. Can't 100% remember but I believe they were the first media folks he got pushed towards.
Because UK has messaging it wants to get out.

Article didn't even mention Burks unless I missed it. He's definitely not in the chart/graphic they made. Sloppy reporting.

Big man with great defense, decent 3pt%, rebounding, toughness, and can run the length of the court with ease? Yes, please.
"decent 3FG%" NO he does not. He has mad a grand total of EIGHT 3FG's made in 4 years. Career 30%, averages taking .02 per game, making less than .01 per game. That is NOT a decent 3 point shooter. He attempted 3 all year, making ONE last year. Quit making stats up to prop up your stance. He is NOT a 3 point shooting threat. He is a career 52% 2FG shooter (not great for a big man) and career 62% free throw shooter. He is solid in the rebounding , blocks, and a good passing big man, but he is a back to the basket, traditional big who rebounds and blocks shots. He also averaged 2.4 turnovers per game, which is very high for a big man.

Well, Cal most likely had two top ten picks on this team (and both were guards) and he lost in the first round. Unless Cal ever got a player like Booker, Towns, Shai , Malik, Fox or Bam, maybe we could win another title (oh wait) 😂.
Big Z will b top 10 next season imo. Dought cal does anything with him, but really sad to see him go

"decent 3FG%" NO he does not. He has mad a grand total of EIGHT 3FG's made in 4 years. Career 30%, averages taking .02 per game, making less than .01 per game. That is NOT a decent 3 point shooter. He attempted 3 all year, making ONE last year. Quit making stats up to prop up your stance. He is NOT a 3 point shooting threat. He is a career 52% 2FG shooter (not great for a big man) and career 62% free throw shooter. He is solid in the rebounding , blocks, and a good passing big man, but he is a back to the basket, traditional big who rebounds and blocks shots. He also averaged 2.4 turnovers per game, which is very high for a big man.
I got my stats mixed up with another big man in the portal. I couldn't even remember their name with all the names transferring everywhere. Had to look back at the other bigs I'd talked about on the board. I was thinking of Andrew Carr when I typed out decent 3pt shooting.

13.5 points per game. Shot 37.1% from three last year at 36-97 shooting. 78% FT, ~7 rebounds a game, 1.5 assists and 1.5 blocks.

I'm not propping up any stance. I'm an excited fan with the memory of a goldfish. Get over it and yourself, and quit being a turd. 👍

One thing I know. If he learned anything from Pitino it was getting teams to get in shape and that was part of the game plan, run teams to death. Wear them down and you can win by just sure effort
I looked at BYU's stats for last season. Significant minutes down to the 8th and 9th guys. The top guys played near 30. It looks like they played as hard as they could and then they sat. Had Pope coached here this past season, Hart and Burks would have played 6-7 minutes per game. With .Calipari, the platitude "next guy up" was only invoked due to illness or injury. It looks like Pope employed it as a matter of design.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT