ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Meyer says He'd Be "Shocked" If Markelle Fultz Doesn't Choose UK

Beautiful. Seems like nearly every year we land a recruit whose stock is on the rise in place of some guys who started high and leveled off. Would love to add him. Great all around game, and a better athlete than people seem to think for whatever reason.

Still want Monk too though. That kid is a freak.

Reactions: KyFord
Yeah we pretty much have him locked up. And that kicks ass because he's about to be a top 10 player in a very, very deep and loaded class. So now we need to work on Alkins, Monk, Smith Jr., Bridges, Jackson, Giles. Adebayo, Ayton, and maybe Buike. I don't really want Simmons to be honest. I'm tired of guards who cant shoot. As long as Ulis comes back we wont need a PG and we would be much better off getting a scorer like Monk or Alkins instead. And when Ulis sits down Fultz or Monk should be capable of running the point for 2-3 minutes. Here's who I realistically hope we get today. Prolly change my mind tomorrow before I get off work lol.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Adebayo
Ayton

Beautiful. Seems like nearly every year we land a recruit whose stock is on the rise in place of some guys who started high and leveled off. Would love to add him. Great all around game, and a better athlete than people seem to think for whatever reason.

Still want Monk too though. That kid is a freak.

I agree, Fultz is my favorite prospect of the class. His stock is rising rapidly, kid is the real deal. He has a great feel for the game and is just a terrific all around basketball player.

Yeah we pretty much have him locked up. And that kicks ass because he's about to be a top 10 player in a very, very deep and loaded class. So now we need to work on Alkins, Monk, Smith Jr., Bridges, Jackson, Giles. Adebayo, Ayton, and maybe Buike. I don't really want Simmons to be honest. I'm tired of guards who cant shoot. As long as Ulis comes back we wont need a PG and we would be much better off getting a scorer like Monk or Alkins instead. And when Ulis sits down Fultz or Monk should be capable of running the point for 2-3 minutes. Here's who I realistically hope we get today. Prolly change my mind tomorrow before I get off work lol.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
Adebayo
Ayton

and what makes you think fultz is a shooter? this summer he shot 42% from the floor, 60% from the line, and 26% from three......

he isnt a shooter, he is a playmaking guard.

Reactions: brianpoe
We're going to be out of bigs next year and this upcoming class has very few good ones. I think our concern should be guys like Azuibuike instead of the plethora of guards available.

We're going to be out of bigs next year and this upcoming class has very few good ones. I think our concern should be guys like Azuibuike instead of the plethora of guards available.
Bigs could be an issue, yeah. We'll have Wynyard though and Killeya-Jones seems to like us. Hopefully we can snag him. If Ayton reclassifies like everyone seems to think he will, the problem is unbelievably solved.

and what makes you think fultz is a shooter? this summer he shot 42% from the floor, 60% from the line, and 26% from three......

he isnt a shooter, he is a playmaking guard.
Some players develop their shots, as the progress, so it's sometimes hard to know who will and who won't - but this is correct, as of now, he is not a shooter but a scorer.

Some players develop their shots, as the progress, so it's sometimes hard to know who will and who won't - but this is correct, as of now, he is not a shooter but a scorer.
And you also have to take into account the nature of the AAU team a guy is playing on. How structured of an offense is it, how common is it for guys to take quick 3's, to what extent is the player in question the lead dog on his team,expected to take a lot of shots?

I don't know the answer to those question with Markelle Fultz. I do know that Devin Booker shot some relatively poor %'s during the Nike EYBL 2 years ago, and that there have been other cases where guys who missed a lot of shots in AAU ball turned out to be really good shooters. Right now, from what I can see, Fultz has good form (always a positive, though not a necessity), though it looks more like a manufactured thing than the naturalness you get with the best shooters (like Booker). He's definitely an off the dribble player, though, not a guy hunting jumpers.

I'm in the Alkins camp. I think he is the best plug and play shooting guard in the class.

Reactions: TravisKY
I want Alkins or Monk to go with Fultz. Fultz is a kid who just knows how to score.

Correct. Probably Ayton.

Also, despite living in Chapel Hill...I've heard good things about Killeya-Jones, and he's been having a good summer.
Some think it's only a matter of time before he chooses UK. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Reactions: ukrjr1
Yeah, I haven't heard anything THAT good about SKJ...but I know some people around that recruitment, they say UK is the team to beat as of right now.

Reactions: Stonewall12
Our class will not include Adebayo.

You don't know that and its too early for anybody to know it. It sounded like he wanted an offer pretty bad. But I mean I'd think its more likely if we get Ayton that our 2nd big would be Maker. I think we're definitely getting 2 bigs in this class either way. But its way too early to say we aren't getting a kid. Who knows. We could still get Josh Jackson or Giles either one. Or Smith Jr. Its just still too early dude.

You don't know that and its too early for anybody to know it. It sounded like he wanted an offer pretty bad. But I mean I'd think its more likely if we get Ayton that our 2nd big would be Maker. I think we're definitely getting 2 bigs in this class either way. But its way too early to say we aren't getting a kid. Who knows. We could still get Josh Jackson or Giles either one. Or Smith Jr. Its just still too early dude.

"Dude" it isn't too early. Adebayo, Smith, and Giles won't be part of our class. You don't know what you are talking about.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything THAT good about SKJ...but I know some people around that recruitment, they say UK is the team to beat as of right now.

Jerry Meyer /247 earlier at top 100 camp compared him to Skal (not as good yet) and just bumped him to #17. He had a huge Vegas week coming off the bench for Loaded and was MVP of championship game. Rivals/Bossi wrote he's due for a bump, too. All indications are he's continuing to blow up and head north in rankings. He's also prototypical big for Cal.

One of the more amusing backstories of this recruiting season is how woeful UNC's recruiting is shaping up to be.

One of the best crops of high school talent in NC in years and they're probably not getting any of them. They could lose Smith, Jr. and Adebayo to lowly NC State, Giles to arch-rival Duke, and they may well lose a Chapel Hill kid to us.

To add insult to injury, Seventh Woods, a SC kid they've had pegged as a Tarheel since he was in Junior High may well spurn them for South Carolina after Dozier did the same last year.

Jerry Meyer /247 earlier at top 100 camp compared him to Skal (not as good yet) and just bumped him to #17. He had a huge Vegas week coming off the bench for Loaded and was MVP of championship game. Rivals/Bossi wrote he's due for a bump, too. All indications are he's continuing to blow up and head north in rankings. He's also prototypical big for Cal.

Yeah, I know he's been blowing up this summer.

I was commenting on what JayCatz said, about it only being a matter of time before he comes to UK. I think we are the leader, but it's no lock.

"Dude" it isn't too early. Adebayo, Smith, and Giles won't be part of our class. You don't know what you are talking about.

I know right. Because nothing ever changes in a years time. We have no idea what some of these kids are thinking. We don't know who we're getting other than most likely Fultz. This time last year I would have thought we would for sure get Newman and Zimmerman and a little before that I thought we'd get Henry Ellison. Things change in recruiting in a years time man. Your the one who don't know what your talking about. I'm not saying we're going to get any of those guys. What I'm saying is its too early to tell.

Just checked out the updated 247 top 150, and I found it interesting just how dramatically different Jerry Meyer's list is from everyone else's. Meyer has always had a knee-jerk element to him, going back to when he was with Rivals and often seemed to want to be the contrarian among recruiting gurus (he's the guy who put BJ Mullens and Josh Selby at #1), but the upside of this tendency is that he gives you a faster, clearer idea of which players are hot and which are not. And it's interesting how so many of the guys he has higher than everyone else are guys on UK's radar (maybe he's seeing the same things as Cal, maybe he's just gauging who the big boys are really after and adjusting his ratings accordingly).

Anyway, Meyer has Fultz at 7, Alkins at 12, Killeya Jones at 17, and Wenyan Gabriel at 22- all higher than anyone else (way higher, in some cases), and all guys who have been talked about a lot recently in connection to UK.

On a side note, Meyer really dislikes Jayson Tatum and Marques Bolden. He has Tatum at 14, when no one else has him lower than 3, and he has Bolden at 39, way, way below where anyone else rates him.

Not sure if Meyer is right about any of those guys (he certainly wasn't with Mullens and Selby), but he's even farther out on a limb this year than normal.

I know right. Because nothing ever changes in a years time. We have no idea what some of these kids are thinking. We don't know who we're getting other than most likely Fultz. This time last year I would have thought we would for sure get Newman and Zimmerman and a little before that I thought we'd get Henry Ellison. Things change in recruiting in a years time man. Your the one who don't know what your talking about. I'm not saying we're going to get any of those guys. What I'm saying is its too early to tell.

Well, you are wrong. I'm not guessing. I've known people close to their recruitment for years. They will not be at Kentucky.

I don't think anyone is too optimistic about Smith and Adebayo, but Cal is apparently going to take a shot at it. All I know is that after following the Jaylen Brown recruitment, teenagers can be profoundly unpredictable.

Personally, I just hope that if Cal thinks Ulis and Briscoe are gone next year, he's showing a lot of love to Fox. I think he's still in play.

If Ulis comes back, don't think we need a "true PG", a combo that can back up at point (like Fultz) is all we'll need.

Well, you are wrong. I'm not guessing. I've known people close to their recruitment for years. They will not be at Kentucky.

Alright man just read where you said you lived in NC. Your probably legit. No disrespect. Its just I'm hesitant when someone says they have sources or whatever.

So is this SKJ kid really rising like that? Somebody tell me about him. I haven't watched any highlights of him yet. I was thinking he was just a 4star type but it sounds like he's the kind who rises up the rankings and becomes an elite level top 10 talent. Well him and Ayton would be awesome then wouldn't it???

One of the more amusing backstories of this recruiting season is how woeful UNC's recruiting is shaping up to be.

One of the best crops of high school talent in NC in years and they're probably not getting any of them. They could lose Smith, Jr. and Adebayo to lowly NC State, Giles to arch-rival Duke, and they may well lose a Chapel Hill kid to us.

To add insult to injury, Seventh Woods, a SC kid they've had pegged as a Tarheel since he was in Junior High may well spurn them for South Carolina after Dozier did the same last year.

I know. It pisses me off so bad that so many of the top players are North Carolina kids. Why the hell cant there be 3-4 Kentucky boys in the top 20 or so you know LOL. But yeah it screws us a little because some of them will want to stay home.

I think Meyer is as plugged in as anyone can be. I think fans have impossible expectations of these guys though. You can't expect them to know where every kid is going considering some of them decide literally as they're picking up the hat.

I think everyone got ticked at Meyer last year because he was the bearer of such bad news. I remember half way through the recruiting year last year, and Jerry had us leading for no one, and everyone was like BS - you know we're going to get some of these guys.

Well guess what - he was right. We didn't get any of them. Getting ticked off at a guy like Meyer because he is telling you news you don't want to hear is ridiculous. It's not like his picks actually influence the final decision of any of these recruits.

Don't see how anyone can have Miles Bridges outside of the top 10. Guys has been killing it this Summer.

His recruiting is interesting as well because Internet chatter has him as a virtual lock for Mich State, whereas the Crystal Ball has him going to UK.

Think a 2016 version of Justice Winslow, except perhaps better.

Alright man just read where you said you lived in NC. Your probably legit. No disrespect. Its just I'm hesitant when someone says they have sources or whatever.

I'm in NC too and all the chatter in aau and at tourneys is Bam and Dennis are signed, sealed and delivered to State.

Reactions: ukrjr1
I do think that we pull SKJ out of NC, but Giles will stay in state (Duke or Wake).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT