ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Meyer flips his Kobi Simmons pick from UK to Ohio State

Simmons visited Ohio State a little more than a week ago. Meyer probably heard something positive about the visit, and combined with the recent Fox/Smith offers, is using his deductive reasoning to tell him UK may be souring on Simmons.

That plus perhaps Calipari is more sold on Monk playing the combo guard for UK next year. If Ulis returns, and that's highly probably, Monk could be UK's starting two-guard and UK's back-up point guard. If Cal feels good about landing Fultz or Alkins for the second wing spot (and with another season from Matthews/Mulder), then UK probably only needs two guards if they're the type of guys who can play 30 to 35 minutes/game.

Simmons looks more like a three these days anyhow. He doesn't look like a kid who is elite enough to run an offense at Kentucky.

I think that the notion that Ulis returns being highly probably is way off. I think its highly probable that Ulis is NOT back and here is why. First of all, Cal has said this is Ulis' team which tells me that Cal trust Ulis and his ability and he will have freedom in the offense. With that freedom and great players around him I look for Ulis to really perform this year especially with scoring and distributing the ball. I think he is going to shine.

Last season he was in a back-up role and still asserted himself as the most effective point guard on our roster several times. His game against UL had even Pitino singing his praises. I think this season, as the starter with freedom in the offense we will see even more out of him. I think he will have a great season and the temptation to go pro will be too great to pass up.

Part of me thinks that coming back for a junior season would almost be a bad idea for Tyler. With his size its just another year to expose him in that regard and in a way I feel like it could hurt his stock. Just my opinion, but I think Tyler is a lock to be gone after this season.

I think that the notion that Ulis returns being highly probably is way off. I think its highly probable that Ulis is NOT back and here is why.

Historically, how many 5'9" guards have been drafted after two years of college basketball? Albeit, there's not a huge sample size, but for all of Ulis' elite passing skills one has to wonder how physically ready he would be at his size. Also, I disagree with the notion that Ulis can't really improve or will potentially get exposed with another year at UK. Every year at UK is another year he can get stronger, and for a kid with the natural physical deficiencies that he possesses, that actually makes more sense than jumping into the second round and praying to make a name in the summer league.

That said, if Ulis has the type of season that makes it a no-brainer for him to leave and is projected in the first round, I'm fine with that because it likely means UK had a sensational season.

I think Coach Cal has cooled on Simmons. This recruitment reminds me of Quincy Miller recruitment, attitude was the factor.

23 turnovers. Is this a mistype???

Probably represents his total over 7 games, which would bring his game average of turnovers to about 3.3/game - which is kind of terrible considering his assists were only at about 1.3/game.

Historically, how many 5'9" guards have been drafted after two years of college basketball? Albeit, there's not a huge sample size, but for all of Ulis' elite passing skills one has to wonder how physically ready he would be at his size. Also, I disagree with the notion that Ulis can't really improve or will potentially get exposed with another year at UK. Every year at UK is another year he can get stronger, and for a kid with the natural physical deficiencies that he possesses, that actually makes more sense than jumping into the second round and praying to make a name in the summer league.

That said, if Ulis has the type of season that makes it a no-brainer for him to leave and is projected in the first round, I'm fine with that because it likely means UK had a sensational season.

No offense but I think you are out of the loop a little. These days if you have high aspirations for getting drafted, especially in the first round, you better damn well be an early entry. I understand there are plenty of upperclassman that get drafted, but probably not with the challenges that Ulis has (his size). Cal himself has alluded to players getting exposed the longer they stay. Happens all the time. One thing is for sure, its a fine line. Im actually trying to think of the last player that really improved their draft status by staying another year. We may have to agree to disagree here but I will say again, I think a junior year for Ulis is no good for his draft status. IF he is going to go and strike while the iron is hot it would be after this season.

Just because the guy think he's going to Duke doesn't automatically make him a troll, and by attempting to put down any thought that doesn't coincide with kissing the collective asses of UK, Cal, and BBN you are a bigger problem than any "troll."

That being said, if relations have cooled between the parties then Cal has moved onto a new target, or multiple targets. Kobe had his chance to be the first domino and passed on it. His failure to improve with the rest of the class will not help his chances of Cal renewing the relationship and he may end up regretting not taking the offer while it was hot.

Honestly, if he does come here I really don't see him playing guard. His game reminds me more of that of a wing-type player and I think he would excel in that position. That 23 turnovers to 9 assist ratio makes me think he's not the point guard that Cal originally thought he was...

No offense but I think you are out of the loop a little. These days if you have high aspirations for getting drafted, especially in the first round, you better damn well be an early entry. I understand there are plenty of upperclassman that get drafted, but probably not with the challenges that Ulis has (his size). Cal himself has alluded to players getting exposed the longer they stay. Happens all the time. One thing is for sure, its a fine line. Im actually trying to think of the last player that really improved their draft status by staying another year. We may have to agree to disagree here but I will say again, I think a junior year for Ulis is no good for his draft status. IF he is going to go and strike while the iron is hot it would be after this season.
I mostly agree with this, but it's not hard to find people who improved their draft status by coming back for a year. WCS just did it.

I've seen Simmons play and I sure as heck didn't have the impression that he was a point guard. He was more like a point foward. Very athletic kid but raw on his skills. I havnt watched him in almost a yr but kids can change a great deal and maybe he has changed that much?
He did not remind me of Liggins when I saw him in HS either. Liggins had more pg skills than Simmons but Simmons was much more aggressive in getting points.
I think he was more like Scotty Hopson hahaha. Hopson was very athletic and liked to handle the ball but was a kid with a very poor attitude and would not work at all. He had all the potential to be a great player but did not want it. Simmons has a better work ethic though and will be better because of it but Athletically, size and offensive skill at the same age reminds me of him. Defensively he is better than Hopson.

Kobi just posted on FB that he is visiting Lex next month. So this is still very fluid

ADVERTISEMENT