ADVERTISEMENT

Jedrick Willis a 5*, #13th overall recruit in Rivals 2017 top 100 list

Wow. He could become the highest rated recruit to come to UK. At least that I can recall. I remember people questioning why UK was recruiting him so hard a while back. THIS IS WHY. The kid is going to be a beast. Imagine a line with Wills, Young, Jones, Jackson, and GAA.

Second 5-star prospect to come out of Central KY in the last 3 years, from an image standpoint with other recruits would be great to lock him up early.

not sure there were official nationwide consensus rankings back then, but I think Dennis Johnson was maybe #1 overall? Or Tim Couch?

I had an Athlon or similar magazine back in the day that had Dennis Johnson as the #2 recruit, he was one of 3 KY kids in the top 100 along with Bernard Jackson that went to Tennessee and one of Johnsons teammates that ended up at Ohio St. That class was pretty loaded, Michael Vick, Julius Peppers, and John Henderson also graduated that year. DJ was also the Sports Illustrated national player of the year and had a 2 page spread in SI talking about his commitment and how great of a recruiting coordinator Claude Bassett was. SO he and of course Couch are are highest rated pre internet players.

Micah Johnson was top 10 on Scout at one point, and maybe even ended up top 10 but if Wills keeps his ranking he will be the top rated player we have received on Rivals.

Lot of you speak as if he is a sure thing for Kentucky. I'm feeling it myself but not to the level you guys are at just yet.

I have talked with the young fella, seems like a good natured giant.

Thanks for the info. I know Johnson and Couch were good. Just didn't know how good on a national level in high school.
Both were ranked #1 overall in their classes. KY had an amazing stretch from 95-97 time period of in-state elite talent. Alexander, Couch, Redman, Johnson Couch lived up to all the hype. Johnson ended up doing pretty well, but did not have the type of career many folks thought he would. Alexander had the best overall career.

KY had an amazing stretch from 95-97 time period of in-state elite talent.
it has continued to this day, off & on of course. compare it to the relatively few high level basketball players this state produces - despite the screams of the Oscar Combs of this Commonwealth that we are a basketball state & that football is a bothersome distraction.

My Dad has a theory on this transformation, he thinks Pitino is to thank (or blame, depending on your perspective). When Pitino was at UK he shunned local talent to recruit Northeast & Chicago. the best athletes in the state gravitated to football since the love & dream of playing bball for the big blue was not going to happen anymore.

Of course the 90's were a time when college football overall truly began a dramatic rise in popularity, no doubt that contributed to kids wanting to play that sport over bball as well (despite UK not being very relevant or winning during the period - thanks again, CM!). SEC championship games, tons of games on ESPN all day & night Saturdays, weeknight football, the BCS (yeah, it was good for the sport, anyone who says otherwise is a moron), exciting wide open offenses replacing boring ass wishbone/option/pro styles.

Reactions: jnewc2
Bernard Jackson's dad was a UofL guy... Think Bernard liked UK fine but not the dad... UT was a compromise.......
Bernard was okay... so was mom & dad... they were just Uof
it has continued to this day, off & on of course. compare it to the relatively few high level basketball players this state produces - despite the screams of the Oscar Combs of this Commonwealth that we are a basketball state & that football is a bothersome distraction.

My Dad has a theory on this transformation, he thinks Pitino is to thank (or blame, depending on your perspective). When Pitino was at UK he shunned local talent to recruit Northeast & Chicago. the best athletes in the state gravitated to football since the love & dream of playing bball for the big blue was not going to happen anymore.

Of course the 90's were a time when college football overall truly began a dramatic rise in popularity, no doubt that contributed to kids wanting to play that sport over bball as well (despite UK not being very relevant or winning during the period - thanks again, CM!). SEC championship games, tons of games on ESPN all day & night Saturdays, weeknight football, the BCS (yeah, it was good for the sport, anyone who says otherwise is a moron), exciting wide open offenses replacing boring ass wishbone/option/pro styles.
That makes for a good story and is similar to what an Indiana guy told me years ago... "if we could just get the slow white guys who have dreams of playing basketball, to instead play football, IU would have one hell of a team." Personally I think football and basketball have different body types and physical attributes... Mostly though I think its what lies between the ears that makes the biggest difference in athletes/sports... And that's not meant to be a negative comment regarding other sports/players.

I know it's sacrilege to even mention to many of you, but what kind of TE or DE would Deron Feldhaus have made?

Richard Madison wad a big time football recruit. I believe nd and UT were both after him hard.

Not sure anyone knows for sure what is up with Willis. Think I've read internet rumors that his family/friends/HS coaches would be pretty happy & supportive if he chose UK. kid hasn't even had a day of classes for his junior year yet, gonna be a long haul for him.

Meh, football in the state as a whole is rather weak while there has been a little run on some football talent, the numbers have been few. I really doubt that Pitino had any affect on what the kids are doing today. None of the kids in high school were even born with Pitino was at UK.

In the last decade only 60 players out of the state played in the SEC...and 49 of those 60 played at UK. Compare that with the city of Mobile, AL that produced 69 players...or Birmingham that produced 83...or Memphis that produced 93. We won't even discuss Atlanta that produced 345. There have been very few basketball players as well out of the state. While Kentucky and Alabama have roughly the same populations, Alabama produced 5+ times more SEC players than did Kentucky (318 vs 60). Arkansas, that has 2/3rds the population produced 150% of the SEC signees.
When it comes to basketball...same thing. Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana are all producing basketball players at a higher rate. "Maryland is number one, producing 58 players per 100,000 college-age males, followed by Louisiana (52 per 100,000), Delaware (47), Tennessee (46), and Georgia (44)."
High school football in the state is still very spotty. I've lived in several states throughout the southeast and you can go to single A (lowest class) games in Alabama and a school with 150 kids will have 50 kids out for football. I've seen 6A school in Ky with smaller rosters.
St Thomas Aquinas High school in Ft. Lauderdale had(2014) 10 players in the NFL...in 2013 the state of Ky only had a total of 17.

Reactions: kycatsphan
fuzzy your post is a whole bunch of blah blah blah google cut & paste with you completely missing the point and trying to jam an apple into being an orange

noone thinks Kentucky football has recently started producing talent like Georgia or Alabama or Mississippi. the theory is that the best athletes in this state, and yeah there are precious few!!, have gravitated to playing & concentrating on the sport of football over basketball since the mid 90's.

Nobody know, he is a 2017 recruit. He will just be a Jr. this upcoming season at Lafayette, so who know he has 2 more years of this stuff.

That's what I was thinking but some of the replies made it sound like he was already YAHTZEED...thanks for the reply

Wow. He could become the highest rated recruit to come to UK. At least that I can recall. I remember people questioning why UK was recruiting him so hard a while back. THIS IS WHY. The kid is going to be a beast. Imagine a line with Wills, Young, Jones, Jackson, and GAA.
You are getting too far ahead of this story. Wills' recruitment will be complicated, and Stoops has an uphill climb to sign him.

Someone please update me what's going on with this kid...100% uk?
No. He is wide open, and he will be recruited by every major program in the southeast and midwest. I will be very happy and surprised if we get him. Stoops is doing a great job with recruiting. But you can never get all of them. Occasionally there will be players who look carefully at all of their options and make another decision. Wills may be 1 of them.

On the other hand I think it would be frustrating to play on an OL where your guy didn't get a sack but the other guys had the QB running for his life all night. In other words, he can probably see some advantages in playing with the two other highly ranked Kentucky commits, as well as Jones and AA.

Nothing but top talent where ever you look with that lineup.

Don't that make an O-lineman an even bigger stud to be rated a 5* ?... I mean, most linemen are lucky to get a high 3*.... This is one time that I hope the kid wants to stay home and play for the home team... He can't say that he wants to play with a better line, and there's not a team out there that can say that he'll be playing on a lousy O-line....

Don't that make an O-lineman an even bigger stud to be rated a 5* ?... I mean, most linemen are lucky to get a high 3*.... This is one time that I hope the kid wants to stay home and play for the home team... He can't say that he wants to play with a better line, and there's not a team out there that can say that he'll be playing on a lousy O-line....
There are only 15 5* kids in the 2017 class... 4 are O-linemen as are 17 of the top 100. There are 39 O-linemen in the 2016 class Rivals 250 but only 2 5*.

Not sure anyone knows for sure what is up with Willis. Think I've read internet rumors that his family/friends/HS coaches would be pretty happy & supportive if he chose UK. kid hasn't even had a day of classes for his junior year yet, gonna be a long haul for him.
If his family, friends and coaches like UK, then that's a good start.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I agree, that football has picked up dramatically, especially in East Kentucky and it began in the 90's... I don't think that took players away from basketball, because they played both sports, and the really gifted ones usually chose basketball... They still do, can you remember a basketball player being recruited by Kentucky, that chose to play football?... I don't think so... At the same time, the sport of basketball has really been in a slump... Used to, in all the magazines in the metro area of Louisville, almost always had a top 10 player in basketball.. Now, basketball athletes with serious talent have dropped considerably in the last decade, and even before then.....

OL always receives high ratings for tackles and pretty high ratings for OG's as well. The position that's lucky to break 3 star is C because it takes less physical ability than the others, so if you've got a kid who could be a 5* center who also happens to have the size, strength, arm length, athleticism etc. to play guard or tackle, they'll be projected as a guard or tackle. We've got a commit this year from Fortner, the #5 ranked center. He's rated 5.5 by rivals. The #5 OT and OG by rivals this year are a 6.0 and a 5.9, both ranked inside the top 75 players.

Last edited:
There were plenty of Kentucky kids. Anthony Epps, Scott Padgett, Travis Ford, Derek Anderson. Plus, Pitino scraped the bottom of the barrel to get Kentucky players on the team. Cameron mills, Jason Lathrem, Chris Harrison, Jody Thompson. If you were mediocre and white, your odds were never better for making the team. The talent from the state just dried up as it was late to catch on to the AAU and professionalization of high school basketball. Plus,I think that spring football and Louisville's growth as a program helped make it a bigger sport with more opportunities.

No. He is wide open, and he will be recruited by every major program in the southeast and midwest. I will be very happy and surprised if we get him. Stoops is doing a great job with recruiting. But you can never get all of them. Occasionally there will be players who look carefully at all of their options and make another decision. Wills may be 1 of them.

I hope Stoops stay on him like butter on bread & I am sure he will.

Richard Madison wad a big time football recruit. I believe nd and UT were both after him hard.

He had no discipline. Loved telling people how far he could punt a football and was a great athlete, but ended up being wasted potential that loved the fringe benefits of sports more than sports.

I hope Stoops stay on him like butter on bread & I am sure he will.
I'm sure he will. But Wills has already been offered by Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Notre Dame. Offers will come from Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Tennessee. Sometimes we can beat these schools for a player. Stoops signed Randolph and Elam away from Alabama, Snodgrass away from Ohio State, Boom away from Georgia. But we will lose some of these too. Just because Wills lives in Lexington, that won't be enough. We will be up against several top 5 programs that will go all out to get him. My biggest hope is that Wills is sold on the idea of being a tackle in college. Some top programs will offer him as a guard, and that might help us.

I'm sure he will. But Wills has already been offered by Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Notre Dame. Offers will come from Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Tennessee. Sometimes we can beat these schools for a player. Stoops signed Randolph and Elam away from Alabama, Snodgrass away from Ohio State, Boom away from Georgia. But we will lose some of these too. Just because Wills lives in Lexington, that won't be enough. We will be up against several top 5 programs that will go all out to get him. My biggest hope is that Wills is sold on the idea of being a tackle in college. Some top programs will offer him as a guard, and that might help us.

How many Kentucky kids have we lost to Alabama and Ohio State since Stoops has been here? One that I can recall..Stoops is batting almost .1000 when it comes to Kentucky kids being recruited by Bama and Ohio State..I'll take that average..now if this kid were a 5-star living in another state I would be quick to temper my expectations..but we should *expect* to land the best kids in our state..especially when he's playing in the shadow of Commonwealth Stadium...we really need to land this kid..when a player like this is in your state you HAVE to keep him..especially when your state produces as few ELITE players as ours does

Kentucky has a lot to offer...we've had MULTIPLE recruits pick Kentucky over each and every one of the schools that you listed. There's a reason for that. Kentucky is a much more attractive school than our fans give it credit for. Stoops has shown that he doesn't let Kentucky kids get away, and I just think it would be really, really hard for Stoops to lose a kid that's playing a few minutes away from where he lives.

Could he pull a Damien Harris and be the rare elite Kentucky kid that Stoops loses on? Sure..but I like taking the odds, and the odds are HEAVILY in favor of us landing him. Elam, Barker, Timmons, Jackson, Daniel, Brown, Young, Hatcher, etc., picked us over a whose who of teams (and that's just the KY kids that picked us over the best of the best). Damien Harris is the one Ky kid that shunned us (and that was still about as close of a recruiting battle as they come). I'll take my chances.

Honestly, I think a whole lot of Kentucky's recruiting going forward is going to depend on the on-the-field results starting this season and next season. Whether or not we land this kid could likely come down to how we play this season. If we have a 7 or 8 win-season I think he's ours to lose and I could see our recruiting taking an even bigger step forward depending on who we beat and how much attention the game gets. For example if we get 7 or 8 wins and land a big-time win over Auburn on national TV it's literally immeasurable how much it could do for recruiting. After we beat LSU in '07 so many of our recruits pointed to that game even years afterward as one of the main reasons they committed.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodson991

fwiw
drake jackson has offers from Bama, Florida, OSU, Tennessee, USCjr, Miss. state, and Penn state
Landon young has offers from Bama, Florida, Auburn, OSU, USCjr, and Miami

both of those are top 250 4* lineman from the state.. on top of that Young is Wills teammate

to go along with those two
Tate Leavitt.. another 4* lineman.. has offers from Bama, Auburn, TCU, Oklahoma, Illinois, Mizzou, WVU, UofL, Oklahoma state, and N.C. State.. while we have yet to sign Leavitt we are believed to be the favorite and i 100% expect to sign him.

basically.. you are not giving our staff enough credit when it comes to recruiting OL talent..

UK did not recruit Boom away from Georgia. Boom and Georgia had parted ways long before he committed to UK. Georgia let Boom go when Sony Michel and Nick Chubb became options.

Not sure how you know so much about Wills' recruitment, or if you actually do.

Anyone remember Tri-Star/Messenger from the other boards? Is he posting here now?

Boom was recruited by THE CATS from the state of Georgia early on and yes it was a big help for us that UGA had Sony and Nick ahead of Boom.
Have three grandsons that were lettermen at Lafayette, they and I will do our best to recruit Jedrick for THE CATS!

ADVERTISEMENT