ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Murray expected to decide in June

It's been a strange spring recruiting period for sure, so nothing will surprise me with this kid.

Logic, based on his comments, seems to favor UK.

He wants to get to a Final Four and have a chance at a title. Cal's record speaks for itself.

He wants to be the #1 pick in the draft. Cal's record speaks for itself again.

If those two things really matter to him, then UK is the best spot for him.

But he's an 18 year old kid. So who knows?

He starts no matter the school he attends. The question would be how he wants to be used. Rather he wants to be a pure PG and handle the ball 90% of the time. Or rather he wants to play off the ball and on the wing more.

[

Yeah. If it were, I'd be much better suited To discuss the topic.

That is your opinion. Other visits can mean he is unsure and wants to compare and contrast.
More times than not recruits do not commit on or very short time after their visit. He needs to get his academics in order before he reclassified, and then he can declare for whatever school he chooses.

He starts no matter the school he attends. The question would be how he wants to be used. Rather he wants to be a pure PG and handle the ball 90% of the time. Or rather he wants to play off the ball and on the wing more.

He also wants to win and he wants to be the top pick.

If he's smart, he knows where he will get the best opportunity to realize those dreams.

And as many shots. Concern about the # of shots he takes. Would love to have him join us but...

Not buying it. And besides, UK has very little perimeter scoring. Murray could attend UK and easily lead the team in shot attempts.

Haven't we (and recruits) learned that you don't need to lead your team in minutes or shot attempts to get drafted high? This isn't the 90's.

If we need a shot, I'd go Murray, then Briscoe, then Ulis.

I want Labissiere opposite the ball for the weak side rebound (or lob if we just need two) if they miss, especially if it's the last few seconds of a game.

Murray, if he were to commit would automatically become out best perimeter scoring option...I'd say that even if the Harrison twins had returned (not booker though) ;)

But, of the schools that he shows any interest in, barring Kentucky, aren't they all filled up on scholarship players?
I know that Oregon is, and I'm pretty sure UConn is as well.

Also, Murray did say that he was busy taking extra classes and finishing things up so he could play in the fall, so it seems like a safe assumption that he is reclassing to 2015, where UK has an offer for him.

Finally, he did just visit UK, and as soon as he got back into Canada, he said he was going to announce in June.

Is all of that correct?

Reactions: RedRiverSaga
The schools that Murray have talked about is Kentucky, Oregon, and UCONN. The poster on here for UCONN has said about their need for pg and if he looks at their roster they just picked up Top Transfer Sterling Gibbs, and they have Purvis back, and they have 5-star recruit Jaylen Adams. UCONN is just as loaded as UK at the guard position. They have Gibbs that has most experience, and Purvis and now Jaylen Adams so I am not too worried about UCONN. Then Oregon just picked up Ennis and he came to Oregon because being a Senior he wanted to be the PG and that is why he went to Oregon. Oregon was recruiting Murray for 2016 season and before the breakout in Nike All-star game is was in the 2016 class. So, that is why Oregon went and got Ennis from Villanova and they have a 4-star recruit coming in this year. They also have a few guards from last year and I believe Ennis was the 13th scholly and as of today are out of schollies. I am sure they would try and make room but right now they are at 13 schollies. If Murray is making his decision in June that is sooner that I thought he would make his decision and won't have alot of time to visit schools. I have this feeling its been Kentucky(if he reclassifies to 2015) and Oregon(if he stays in 2016) and if he is deciding in June then I say he is reclassifying and heading to UK. He wouldn't have to announce in June if he was staying with Oregon for the 2016 Recruiting class. I beleive he knows everything he talked about on winning, getting into NCAA Tourney and possible Final Four and Championship, and the big one becoming the top draft selection in 2016 NBA draft. This all falls with Coach Cal and Kentucky!

Spot on! Uconn may even be short a scholly if I'm looking at it correctly. Maybe they had someone leave the program. I don't know much about them. All good signs though. I bet he gives Michigan and Michigan State a hard look though.

None of them are out of scholarships if he decides to stay in 2016.

Baring something catastrophic, Murray won't be playing college ball in 2016. He's either going to college or prep school in 2015, and then he's going to declare for the draft.

and with the recent decision to provide a commitment, he's wanting to get on-campus at UK with the rest of the players when they start rolling in June 6!

[banana]

Murray would be an enormous recruit for Kentucky. For one, it gives them a second semi-transcendent player for next year's team in a year that no one expected much on the recruiting front. With the potentials for the 2016 class, Kentucky's momentum would continue to soar.

What all this means is he will commit to the university of California in June. Seems to be the trend.

The schools that Murray have talked about is Kentucky, Oregon, and UCONN. The poster on here for UCONN has said about their need for pg and if he looks at their roster they just picked up Top Transfer Sterling Gibbs, and they have Purvis back, and they have 5-star recruit Jaylen Adams. UCONN is just as loaded as UK at the guard position. They have Gibbs that has most experience, and Purvis and now Jaylen Adams so I am not too worried about UCONN. Then Oregon just picked up Ennis and he came to Oregon because being a Senior he wanted to be the PG and that is why he went to Oregon. Oregon was recruiting Murray for 2016 season and before the breakout in Nike All-star game is was in the 2016 class. So, that is why Oregon went and got Ennis from Villanova and they have a 4-star recruit coming in this year. They also have a few guards from last year and I believe Ennis was the 13th scholly and as of today are out of schollies. I am sure they would try and make room but right now they are at 13 schollies. If Murray is making his decision in June that is sooner that I thought he would make his decision and won't have alot of time to visit schools. I have this feeling its been Kentucky(if he reclassifies to 2015) and Oregon(if he stays in 2016) and if he is deciding in June then I say he is reclassifying and heading to UK. He wouldn't have to announce in June if he was staying with Oregon for the 2016 Recruiting class. I beleive he knows everything he talked about on winning, getting into NCAA Tourney and possible Final Four and Championship, and the big one becoming the top draft selection in 2016 NBA draft. This all falls with Coach Cal and Kentucky!

paragraphs help everything

Reactions: brianpoe
UK contacts him, he begins thinking about reclassing. He opts out of AAU, visits UK, starts getting his ducks in a row to reclass, then announces a decision date.

Have to think it looks good for UK at this point.

Reactions: kyups01
I was going to start a new thread, but thought I would just add this in here. I had a chance to talk to one of the assistant coaches at Oregon yesterday for a long time (he is a good friend of my boss who hosted a small BBQ yesterday). He's a great guy and we just enjoyed talking college basketball amongst other things. He did not know I was a UK fan when I asked him (turns out his wife is born and raised in Lexington and a UK grad) how they were doing with Murray. I didn't know if he would say anything or not, but the first thing he said was, "If I had to guess right now, he's either going to Kentucky or staying in the 2016 class". He could have been playing it cool and not really talking about it, but he was pretty open about a lot of stuff, so no reason for me to think he was just throwing something out there. Just thought I would pass it along.

Its either 2015 for Murray or the NBA in 2016. If he doesn't come to college this year, then he won't ever go to college. He has already stated that he hopes to be the #1 pick in 2016 draft. He is reclassifying, I would bet the farm on it. He will commit to somewhere in June for 2015. I just hope its us.

I hate when people say I have a gut feeling, because it means nothing. That being said, I am starting to get that feeling that we get this kid.

Just occurred to me that last year, Jamal Murray played on the World Team with KAT and Lyles as well. Fun facts are fun.

Reactions: bigc45157
ADVERTISEMENT