ADVERTISEMENT

Its going to be Kentucky and everyone else!

Yeah - I think the swag of this team is going to be really special. Going to be a really fun team to watch, with 3-4 guys with star potential. Think it could really ramp up our profile with recruits - especially backcourt guys - and net us a bunch of bandwagon fans.

Which is fine - some of those bandwagon fans stick, and some of them are 12 year olds who will be 5-star recruits some day.

Like it or not, we have not been a particularly exciting team to watch for the last 3 years if you like stellar backcourt play - this year will change that big time.

Some of you guys need to temper the enthusiasm..Wow..We will be very young and won't have a lot of size..As Frankie says. Relax.

Name me one Cal team that wasn't young. Name me 3 Cal teams that were young and did not atleast make the final 4. Hint, you can't. 1 was a freak injury away from who knows what and the other was a damn fluke.

Next.

Considering the 2013 team shot craps because our PG was an emotional basketcase, our backup PG was a walk-on, and our best player and emotional leader was lost to a season-ending injury, and every other Cal team has been a Final 8 team at worse, I think seeing this team as a F4 contender is very reasonable. I think seeing them as head and shoulders above the field is unrealistic however.

Regardless,it's going to be another fun year to be a UK fan.

Reactions: brianpoe
We all know you would love this to happen.

We watched those games.

"The announcer said he likes going left and they keep letting him go left."

Please indicate the game and time when he went right and was average?

You know who is average? KU most of the time, except when we beat your ass by 32, then you are below average.

PAG championship game. Fran Fraschella repeatedly pointed that weakness out. Is your argument that Murray has no weaknesses?

PAG championship game. Fran Fraschella repeatedly pointed that weakness out. Is your argument that Murray has no weaknesses?

No, but he is not average.

Selden has proven to be average.
Cliff was average.
Robinson proved to be average.
Ellis is average.
KU's success getting past the second round is average.

Murray is not average.

Who do you think goes ahead of him in the NBA draft?

Reactions: SosaUK

I know I heard Fran say that he was a beast at going left. Doesn't mean he can't go right.

Question for you: if you are better at going left versus right and the dude that is assigned to you, can't stop you. What would you do? Go left? Hopefully. Knowing you, you would go straight and draw a charge.

Seldon has proven to be average.
Cliff was average.
Ellis is average.

Murray is not average.

Thomas Robinson and Cliff Alexander. Oh wait.

Still waiting for the proof of Murray being exposed. How long should I wait? A couple years?

2nd youngest player in the PAG and if Canada would have completed the comeback and beat Brazil he would have been the MVP... definitely average.

Murray looked average during his 5th game in 5 days. Man, he sucks!

Cliff was average.
Ellis is average.

Murray is not average.

I said he was average going right. Not that he was average overall. He'll be one of the better freshman in the NCAA next season.

Selden has proven to be inconsistent. Moving him to the 3 will show that he is dominant.
Cliff didn't know the game, but was getting better as the season progressed.
Robinson was an all-american.
Ellis is one of the best 4's in college.

I know I heard Fran say that he was a beast at going left. Doesn't mean he can't go right.

Question for you: if you are better at going left versus right and the dude that is assigned to you, can't stop you. What would you do? Go left? Hopefully. Knowing you, you would go straight and draw a charge.

You keep going left until someone stops you.

I said he was average going right. Not that he was average overall. He'll be one of the better freshman in the NCAA next season.

Selden has proven to be inconsistent. Moving him to the 3 will show that he is dominant.
Until otherwise, Kansas and many of its current players are just average.

Kentucky had 38 five stars last year and didn't won a title.

Yes I was just getting ready to say. Kills me to read posts on here where people say "with this team we have the ingredients for number 9" or "if we stay healthy we will be looking at #9" etc etc. Hell you could make a college team of MJ, Bird, Magic, Duncan, and Shaq etc and I don't think it would be smart to predict a title for that team. If there is one thing I have learned during the Cal era its that it doesn't matter if you have the best players, and lots of them, it won't guarantee you a title.

Yes I was just getting ready to say. Kills me to read posts on here where people say "with this team we have the ingredients for number 9" or "if we stay healthy we will be looking at #9" etc etc. Hell you could make a college team of MJ, Bird, Magic, Duncan, and Shaq etc and I don't think it would be smart to predict a title for that team. If there is one thing I have learned during the Cal era its that it doesn't matter if you have the best players, and lots of them, it won't guarantee you a title.

There is the Cal knife in the back statement i knew was coming... you are so predictable.

I agree with the premise of your statement but you just had to add "during the Cal era"

Not like any other favorites have ever not won the championship...

Reactions: Teaucat
This is really going to be another fun year. I am looking forward to see how much Lee has improved his game. Lee needs to step it up for us as a back up at the 5 position.

Cliff was average.
Ellis is average.

Murray is not average.

"KU's success getting past the second round is average" -- LOL, thank you for that! [roll]
So true

There is the Cal knife in the back statement i knew was coming... you are so predictable.

I agree with the premise of your statement but you just had to add "during the Cal era"

Not like any other favorites have ever not won the championship...

Guess we would have to look at individual programs and how many times they were the favorite and how many times they won when they were the favorite. Obviously I understand that the favorite doesn't always win, which is great if you are a program like Wisconsin where you are always competitive but rarely the best, but sucks when you are UK. Thats actually the point I was trying to make. My point with Cal is that its never been more evident than what I have seen over the past 6 years in that in 2010 we had the best players and didn't win, 2014 we had "the greatest recruiting class of all time" and didn't win, in 2015 we went 38-1 with 4 players drafted in the first round 8-9 deep with Mcdonalds AA's and didn't win. Just seems to me that its never been more evident that the best team or the team with the best players doesn't always win………..AS WE HAVE JUST WITNESSED OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS.

If me pointing this out is a little offensive to you then thats your problem. Wasn't taking a swipe at Cal. Just saying that the favorite doesn't always win it, and Cal in his 6 years at UK has proven that. If that offends you then you must be a little upset with Cal.

Actually you said he was "exposed in the PAM game"

That is beyond hilarious. Exposed? More like he made his name known to the world (as much is possible considering its the PAM games).

Duke is going to be Charmin soft with a bunch of nice perimeter players and no inside presence - a weak defensive team.

UNC is once again going to be team that loads the weight of the season on the back of an injury prone Marcus Paige.

I think Kansas will be the best of the bunch. Excellent guard play in Mason and Graham, and every indication that Selden has turned the corner and could be an All-American caliber player next year - plus Diallo gives them the inside presence they've lacked.

Hope we are both at full strength when we play - I think the KU game is going to give us the best early indication of how good we can be.

Duke is going to be Charmin soft with a bunch of nice perimeter players and no inside presence - a weak defensive team.

UNC is once again going to be team that loads the weight of the season on the back of an injury prone Marcus Paige.

I think Kansas will be the best of the bunch. Excellent guard play in Mason and Graham, and every indication that Selden has turned the corner and could be an All-American caliber player next year - plus Diallo gives them the inside presence they've lacked.

Hope we are both at full strength when we play - I think the KU game is going to give us the best early indication of how good we can be.

I think the stars could be aligning for another Cal vs. Self showdown in the finals (depending on the brackets of course). And of course there is no guarantee that both teams get that far. Seems like this is a narrative that just keeps reoccurring. This time would be the rubber match for them in the title game. Would be epic.

Guess we would have to look at individual programs and how many times they were the favorite and how many times they won when they were the favorite. Obviously I understand that the favorite doesn't always win, which is great if you are a program like Wisconsin where you are always competitive but rarely the best, but sucks when you are UK. Thats actually the point I was trying to make. My point with Cal is that its never been more evident than what I have seen over the past 6 years in that in 2010 we had the best players and didn't win, 2014 we had "the greatest recruiting class of all time" and didn't win, in 2015 we went 38-1 with 4 players drafted in the first round 8-9 deep with Mcdonalds AA's and didn't win. Just seems to me that its never been more evident that the best team or the team with the best players doesn't always win………..AS WE HAVE JUST WITNESSED OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS.

If me pointing this out is a little offensive to you then thats your problem. Wasn't taking a swipe at Cal. Just saying that the favorite doesn't always win it, and Cal in his 6 years at UK has proven that. If that offends you then you must be a little upset with Cal.

You know that I am not offended, and now I have given you the opportunity to once again state how we came up short in 2010, 2014 and 2015... as if we didn't already know, as if you haven't already said it a hundred times, as if we care that you can't get over it...

It kills you when people say we have the ingredients of a championship team?

I can understand being tired of outright predictions for a title, but whats wrong with stating you feel our team is a championship caliber squad? And if this stuff bothers you so much I'd advise against using message boards.

What are fans supposed to discuss? I tell you what I get tired of, listening to people b**** and complain about topics of discussion.

Reactions: KyFord and brianpoe
You know that I am not offended, and now I have given you the opportunity to once again state how we came up short in 2010, 2014 and 2015... as if we didn't already know, as if you haven't already said it a hundred times, as if we care that you can't get over it...

Again, just brought that up to illustrate the fact that the best teams, or the teams with the best players, don't always win it. I could cite some other examples like my favorite team (other than 96' Cats) of all time the 1991 UNLV Runnin Rebs. Absolutely loaded team that returned superstars with experience. (never mind that I think they actually could have thrown the game they lost but thats another story). But also teams like 99' Duke, 2005 Illinois, 1984 Georgetown, etc etc

I can understand being tired of outright predictions for a title, but whats wrong with stating you feel our team is a championship caliber squad? And if this stuff bothers you so much I'd advise against using message boards.

What are fans supposed to discuss? I tell you what I get tired of, listening to people b**** and complain about topics of discussion.

Listening?

And yes it does kill me because so many act like its in the bag or a given. After last season you could tell me that we have 10 Lebron James coming in to UK and I still wouldn't say "if we stay healthy we'll get #9" because thats just not true.

Hell, look at our team last season and look at the players we had. Towns was #1 pick and guys like Seth Greenburg are predicting him to be a transcendent star in the NBA for years to come. WCS has been making headlines all over the place for his play in summer league (blocking shots, running the floor, finishing in transition). Trey Lyles was heralded as the "best player on the court" in his summer games which featured him going up against Okafor. Booker went coo-coo dropping 30 in a summer league game leading Hornacek to rave about him. Not to mention the veterans we had in the Twins, Lee and Dakari. And then you had a heady and quick little guard in Ulis. I mean if ever there were a team to just send the trophy to, that team was it. Yet they didn't win it. So yes, forgive me if I get tired of people talking about "ingredients" etc as if we are a shoe-in for the trophy. Doesn't mean shit.

In all seriousness, Kansas will be a top team and be favored against UK. UK will be the better team in March.

And yes it does kill me because so many act like its in the bag or a given. After last season you could tell me that we have 10 Lebron James coming in to UK and I still wouldn't say "if we stay healthy we'll get #9" because thats just not true.

Hell, look at our team last season and look at the players we had. Towns was #1 pick and guys like Seth Greenburg are predicting him to be a transcendent star in the NBA for years to come. WCS has been making headlines all over the place for his play in summer league (blocking shots, running the floor, finishing in transition). Trey Lyles was heralded as the "best player on the court" in his summer games which featured him going up against Okafor. Booker went coo-coo dropping 30 in a summer league game leading Hornacek to rave about him. Not to mention the veterans we had in the Twins, Lee and Dakari. And then you had a heady and quick little guard in Ulis. I mean if ever there were a team to just send the trophy to, that team was it. Yet they didn't win it. So yes, forgive me if I get tired of people talking about "ingredients" etc as if we are a shoe-in for the trophy. Doesn't mean shit.

As a whole I agree with your sentiment. Having the most talented team guarantees you nothing. I'd say the best team win the title 25-35% of the time. Its frustrating as hell when its your team coming up short, but such is the nature of a single elimination tournament. Its the same with the NFL. 75% of the time the super bowl champ is a fluky team who got hot near the end and caught some breaks in the playoffs.

As a whole I agree with your sentiment. Having the most talented team guarantees you nothing. I'd say the best team win the title 25-35% of the time. Its frustrating as hell when its your team coming up short, but such is the nature of a single elimination tournament. Its the same with the NFL. 75% of the time the super bowl champ is a fluky team who got hot near the end and caught some breaks in the playoffs.

Agreed. Look at the Patriots and how tight they got during their undefeated run. They were blasting teams all season long and then just grinded in the playoffs before losing to the Giants. That team was the best team all around.

What do high school accolades have to do with Lee and Poythress? After 5 years combined of college basketball , they've shown themselves to be average players. They will certainly play a role, but listing their high accolades is silly. What have they done in college?
Poy was injured last season but has shown gli.pses of brilliance. Lee has had to play behind Randle, Dakari, WCS and Towns and still was instrumental in UK beating Michigan two yrs ago for a trip to the Four.
Skal is projected to be the top pick in the draft next summer so Id imagine he will do just fine college.
Face it we are going to be freakishly talented and that after losing 7 players early to the League.
No other program in history has reloaded like Kentucky just did.
We will be in the top 3 preseason, probably should be ranked #1 on talent alone!

Keep reporting the Troll's posts, guy's. It's the only way the Mods will do anything about them.

Poy was injured last season but has shown gli.pses of brilliance. Lee has had to play behind Randle, Dakari, WCS and Towns and still was instrumental in UK beating Michigan two yrs ago for a trip to the Four.
Skal is projected to be the top pick in the draft next summer so Id imagine he will do just fine college.
Face it we are going to be freakishly talented and that after losing 7 players early to the League.
No other program in history has reloaded like Kentucky just did.
We will be in the top 3 preseason, probably should be ranked #1 on talent alone!

No doubt we will be talented, but by the Junior year the high school accolades really do not count for players that have not been major contributors.

Reactions: king of cali
ADVERTISEMENT