ADVERTISEMENT

It's as though no one wants to discusss...

arenk

Junior
Jan 3, 2003
whether Murray's failure to commit while in Lexington or his tweet about just enjoying the recruitment process are ominous signs for UK. I hope not, but given the available playing time on the biggest stage in college basketball and the players he would be surrounded by, I'm not feeling optimistic. I hope I'm dead wrong. Yet as far as I know, he hasn't set any visits with other schools,and that could simply mean that there are a few issues to be worked out with his reclassification. Any thoughts on this?

For all we know he could visiting another school right now. I wouldn't expect any tweets from Murray as so far his recruitment has been as quiet as can be. He took a visit to UK and caught the media with their pants down as none of the media saw that coming. So I wouldn't really be worried about any tweets or lack of media coverage as he's keeping it dead quiet. Have no idea if he will reclassify or not but I like our chances as he did visit...

whether Murray's failure to commit while in Lexington or his tweet about just enjoying the recruitment process are ominous signs for UK. I hope not, but given the available playing time on the biggest stage in college basketball and the players he would be surrounded by, I'm not feeling optimistic. I hope I'm dead wrong. Yet as far as I know, he hasn't set any visits with other schools,and that could simply mean that there are a few issues to be worked out with his reclassification. Any thoughts on this?

His Dad said they were going to take this slow so you shouldn't have had your hopes up on an early committal. We will just have to wait.

Reactions: childe
How many 5 star players has Cal signed? How many have committed during or immediately following a visit?

Murray has until August/early September to decide what he's going to do. So 3 months, or 1/4th of a year. He's been a truly hot commodity for all of 6 weeks now.

There is nothing to discuss. Murray hasn't reclassified, so it would not be possible for him to commit yet.

He can commit whenever he wants. Difference in committing and signing.
But why would he? In this case, that difference is irrelevant. Whether or not Murray reclassifies will have an effect on his other opportunities. Calipari would take him in either class, but his list of other alternatives will differ depending on the class. If he stays in prep school in Canada for another year, he could go directly to the NBA draft as a foreign player. Murray isn't going to commit anywhere until he works through his reclassification decision. His father has already said it will be a couple more months. So there is nothing to debate here.

But why would he? In this case, that difference is irrelevant. Whether or not Murray reclassifies will have an effect on his other opportunities. Calipari would take him in either class, but his list of other alternatives will differ depending on the class. If he stays in prep school in Canada for another year, he could go directly to the NBA draft as a foreign player. Murray isn't going to commit anywhere until he works through his reclassification decision. His father has already said it will be a couple more months. So there is nothing to debate here.

All true but all irrelevant to your post I was replying to in this thread.

How many of us marry the first girl we date?

How many of us buy the first car we test drive?

How many of us buy the first home we ever look at?

Like the song says, "you better shop around."

Same thing applies here, his dad is very level headed and isn't going to let his son make a hasty decision. As a parent, I can not blame him.

Let's wait until he actually chooses a school before we flip out.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
There's 11 pages of thoughts on this.

http://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/jamal-murray-visiting-uk.97806/page-11#post-1726488

Reactions: GonzoCat90
If Murray has decided to reclassify, then it seems to me that he's is in the same position as Newman was. Murray is a PG. Newman wanted to play PG in college. U.K. has Ulis and Briscoe. Why would anyone be surprised if Murray doesn't come to U.K.? So why was he here on a visit? I'm sure that any kid would be curious to see the U.K. facilities first-hand. And, next year he can say, "Yeah, I was recruited by Kentucky. I took an official visit there, etc."

Just MHO, of course.

If Murray has decided to reclassify, then it seems to me that he's is in the same position as Newman was. Murray is a PG. Newman wanted to play PG in college. U.K. has Ulis and Briscoe. Why would anyone be surprised if Murray doesn't come to U.K.? So why was he here on a visit? I'm sure that any kid would be curious to see the U.K. facilities first-hand. And, next year he can say, "Yeah, I was recruited by Kentucky. I took an official visit there, etc."

Just MHO, of course.

Agree. The dad gave a strong hint after the visit. He says he wants his son to be a NBA PG and to be the first player taken in the '16 draft. Murray won't have the chance to completely showcase his talent sharing PT with 2 other PGs. When Calipari didn't get a commit it signaled that he was unable to convince him otherwise.

Didn't the Pelicans rumor pop up while Murray was visiting? Maybe that had a small effect.

Last edited:
There are several 5 stars every year that doesn't want to come here. Even though we are the top college program with the most rabid fan base in the world. Even though they can win more if they come here and play with and against in practice every day mostly pro players to help expedite their game prep for the next level.

We would have to think, if they don't want all that, they either want to be 'the' man, want to avoid so much attention on a daily basis, another coach fills a naïve head with lies about us or they just connect with another coach better.

Hard to know what is on the Murray's minds but visiting us first seems like a big deal. We must have been heavily on their minds for us to be first. But one thing we have realized this recruiting season is that anymore you can't go by what any player or parent says or does. While visiting us first does appear to be a huge deal, we now know it could almost mean nothing. This positive move could totally be off set by the fact that he apparently has no desire in getting a jump start this summer on taking classes or practicing and playing with teammates that would really make a difference on his transition from high school.

The one good thing that has come from this recruiting season is Cal's new approach to offering several prospects so early at all positions. The waiting till spring thing is just too risky when you have so many openings. Holding one or two scollies for the spring is enough but hopefully from here on out we will pretty much have most of our roster set during the early signing. Even if it means taking a real good 4 star over a 5 star type every now and then, taking a kid that really wants to be here from the get go has it's good points that could make up for just a little difference in talent level.

Agree. The dad gave a strong hint after the visit. He says he wants his son to be a NBA PG and to be the first player taken in the '16 draft. Murray won't have the chance to completely showcase his talent sharing PT with 2 other PGs. When Calipari didn't get a commit it signaled that he was unable to convince him otherwise.

Keep dreaming

Murray himself said playing with two others points wasn't even brought up during his visit. Said that it would help himself, Ulis and Briscoe playing off each other when the writer asked about that possible situation. He sounds like a total team player that just wants to win above other things.

Murray himself said playing with two others points wasn't even brought up during his visit. Said that it would help himself, Ulis and Briscoe playing off each other when the writer asked about that possible situation. He sounds like a total team player that just wants to win above other things.

We'll see then we'll know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT