ADVERTISEMENT

It will be refreshing to see strategic recruiting.

Imafan4evr_

Junior
Jul 31, 2004
One of my biggest complaints of the previous era: recruiting a bunch of 'dudes' based on star ranking or NBA combine measureables that made no sense schematically. It always felt like a race to the top of the recruiting rankings at the expense of building toward any type of actual philosophy.

I'm excited at the idea that when we recruit, we will be able to see why a specific guy was brought in. I'm expecting to see teambuilding that makes apparent what philosophy Pope follows and think we will see that philosophy carry forward season after season rather than requiring constant change to fit the personnel.

Even if you can live with the constant flux pretty well and are infinitely adaptable as long as the talent is there you are still at the tender mercies of the ups and down in the varying quality of each class.

Some years are just naturally down and you have to default to being down yourself.
Add in that other schools get players too and everyone isn't going to be a fit or want to leave home and whatnot and it is just too much of a highwire act to execute at a high level forever even if you are good at it.

Reactions: megablue
The clunky rosters drove me nuts at the end of the Cal era. It was further frustrating that you could see upcoming issues coming from a mile away.

Hope for massive improvement in this department.

One of my biggest complaints of the previous era: recruiting a bunch of 'dudes' based on star ranking or NBA combine measureables that made no sense schematically. It always felt like a race to the top of the recruiting rankings at the expense of building toward any type of actual philosophy.

I'm excited at the idea that when we recruit, we will be able to see why a specific guy was brought in. I'm expecting to see teambuilding that makes apparent what philosophy Pope follows and think we will see that philosophy carry forward season after season rather than requiring constant change to fit the personnel.
Yes! Clear purpose continuity and unity of team is going to bring back so much joy to the program. Hey it's what Hurleys been doing. He said it

Agree completely
I have said before that if “Ellen’s roommate” were a baseball GM, he would build his team with 9 designated hitters were they considered the top players in the game. As Norman Dale said in Hoosiers, “team, team, team.” Great movie and so true. UConn was not the most talented team the past 2 years but they are holding the trophies. Find complementary players that fit together and will stay 2-3, even gasp, 4 years at UK. Reload every year, not rebuild!

Even if you can live with the constant flux pretty well and are infinitely adaptable as long as the talent is there you are still at the tender mercies of the ups and down in the varying quality of each class.

Some years are just naturally down and you have to default to being down yourself.
Add in that other schools get players too and everyone isn't going to be a fit or want to leave home and whatnot and it is just too much of a highwire act to execute at a high level forever even if you are good at it.
100% this ^^ … everybody is trying to win and NIL$$$ and portal have made it easier for everyone to try to improve their clubs, simultaneously making it harder for everyone.

I think this could be a huge change!

Cal recruited solely based on ranking (which is based on future projections, not current skills), not on how fit in to his playing style or team needs.

This!!! Not who has the highest standing reach or palm size. Actual high IQ guys who know how to play the game of basketball the right way!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT