ADVERTISEMENT

Is this season's team a better shooting team than this past season's team?

BBUK

All-American
May 26, 2005
It looks to be, I think they should be a better scoring team but shooting? I will leave that to others that know more than I do (Which isn't hard.) Thanks

I hope we're better, but we could shoot the same percentage and I'd be happy. Just so we're not as streaky. We could go 8 minutes at a time without scoring last year. My old heart can't take it.

There is no way to know, since we haven't seen most of the shooters play a college game yet. But the potential is that we could be better. As a team we made 34.9% last year from 3. In the Cal-era, we have made 33.1%, 39.7%, 37.8%, 34.6%, 33.3%, & 34.9% (guess which 2 years we had Lamb). Ulis, Booker, and Andrew shot well (43%, 41% & 38%), but Aaron really pulled the % down (<32%) attempting nearly 1/3 of our 3-pt shots.

There is no reason to think Ulis can't come close to his 43% in probably more attempts. I think there is a good chance that Mulder could come close to Booker's 41%. And it is quite reasonable to expect Murray, Briscoe, Matthews to combined to match or slightly exceed Aaron's %.

With this guard heavy team, it is likely that the outside shooting will improve. That should free up the inside game as well.

I hope so. Last years team was awesome on defense but somewhat challenged in scoring at times.

If there was one thing that I thought the twins lacked in, it was ball movement. Sometimes the offense was just choppy and slow looking because they didn't pass quickly enough to me.

Reactions: brianpoe
If there was one thing that I thought the twins lacked in, it was ball movement. Sometimes the offense was just choppy and slow looking because they didn't pass quickly enough to me.
This. But was it them not moving the or was it KAT and Lyles learning new skill sets, and then WCS, DJ and Lee NOT moving. Hindsight IMO both

Shooting Only:
Skal > Willie
Poythress < Towns
Murray > Lyles
Briscoe = Aaron
Tyler > Andrew

I really hope these guys can shoot better. Aaron really struggled and honestly I thought Andrew was the better shooter out of the two, especially late in the year.
Our offense last year just never clicked. The lack of outside shooting was one thing but one flaw continued the whole season and for some reason was never addressed: movement. Someone else touched on it above but it seemed like the only guy that was moving was the guy with the ball, everyone else just stood there. I'll never understand why this was never fixed, it cost us in the end. 3 shot clock violations in a row while the whole squad on the floor stood there and watched.
Hopefully this team plays with more motion. Good outside shooting creates open lanes, hopefully that happens this year. We know the D will be there.

This. But was it them not moving the or was it KAT and Lyles learning new skill sets, and then WCS, DJ and Lee NOT moving. Hindsight IMO both

Could be, and I liked both of them. But even as freshmen I thought they just held the ball too long for rotating the ball for an open shot.

There is no reason to think Ulis can't come close to his 43% in probably more attempts. I think there is a good chance that Mulder could come close to Booker's 41%. And it is quite reasonable to expect Murray, Briscoe, Matthews to combined to match or slightly exceed Aaron's %.

Only 15 players shot 43% or better from the 3 last year in college and zero of them were from a school in a major conference. So out of about 4,550 scholarship players, 15 players averaged 43% or better. Let that sink in .... that's 3/10th of 1% of all players. But yeah, great logic.

Just a question....if they did pass it to you quickly, are you going to make it? :)

I think so. Ulis, Mulder and Murray should all be good shooters. Then again, you can make the argument that that Ulis, Booker and Andrew H. were very good to solid shooters last year. I think the difference is your 4th guy in terms of 3 point percentage in Briscoe (who probably won't shoot nearly as well) won't lead the team in attempts (almost 1/3 of them as someone else said in the thread) like Aaron did last year. UK shot 35% from three inspite of him bringing down the percentages for our team overall.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT