ADVERTISEMENT

Is there solid info on theory that Jaylen Browns parents don't like UK?

Apr 21, 2015
If true, am wondering why. Meaning, r they just Georgia fans and don't like UK because they hated getting best by UK every year, or does the supposed dislike run deeper?

I've heard his dad did not like us too much, well I guess I should say he likes other schools much more so than us. Guess that's a better way to put it.
I'm sure if his son chose us he would be a fan then.

I've heard his dad did not like us too much, well I guess I should say he likes other schools much more so than us. Guess that's a better way to put it.
I'm sure if his son chose us he would be a fan then.
Wondering if it has anything to do with the Rupp perception. Maybe they saw the movie and believe every word of it is true . Who knows? Sure seems like a lot of the kids this year are having their decisions made for them .

I just remember him saying some family members were very negative in saying bad things about UK.He didn't say who the family members were though.

Negative recruiting. Guarantee you'd hear the reasons and laugh knowing how ridiculous and untrue they are.

Reactions: bigc45157
I'm sure that of every five-star player that has played for us in the last 5 years someone they know didn't want them to come to UK. People have opinions. The only one that counts is the one making the final decision.

Think there is too much made of this remark. The kid lives in SEC country - if he has an uncle or cousins that are Georgia fans, I don't think its a huge stretch to imagine that they would hate UK or why they would hate UK.

If he was a football player, I'm sure he'd have some family members in the "anyone but Bama" camp as well. At the end of the day however, don't think it will be a factor in his decision.

Michigan over Cal.

Michigan is Adidas.

Michigan is closer to home.

Michigan is Adidas.

Michigan is on TV more.

Michigan is Adidas.

Michigan has a better chance to win.

And did I mention Michigan is Adidas.

Reactions: bigc45157
and he was no more a racist than any other white guy in America his age. There weren't many D1 schools that integrated any faster than UK. It's just us that gets the rap because of Rupp's prominence in the news, his amazing success on the court and the Texas Western game.

Reactions: Brando Mac
and he was no more a racist than any other white guy in America his age. There weren't many D1 schools that integrated any faster than UK. It's just us that gets the rap because of Rupp's prominence in the news, his amazing success on the court and the Texas Western game.
Well I agree with both of you but not everyone will take the time to find out the truth .

Think there is too much made of this remark. The kid lives in SEC country - if he has an uncle or cousins that are Georgia fans, I don't think its a huge stretch to imagine that they would hate UK or why they would hate UK.

Georgia basketball fans? I live in Georgia and I've never met one.

You can't believe what everyone reports. If there's a link its more believable. Even with the Thon Maker Facebook thing it was a hoax. All I know is Brown is an Adidas guy, which means more of a lean to one of those schools. But, still we don't know. He may stay in Uga and play his one year at home. We only know what we know and usually that comes out a few days before they announce. But, I've read nothing official saying Hus family dislikes UK.

It's sounded for a while like Brown is going to Michigan, but if I am Brown, UK makes a TON of sense. He is a walk in starter, and if you look at a lineup of Ulis, Briscoe, Brown, Alex and Skal, Brown would probably be the #1 scoring option and likely get 30 minutes a night on a preseason #1 team(provided he came). That sounds like a great way to be a lock top 2-3 NBA pick

Michigan over Cal.

Michigan is Adidas.

Michigan is closer to home.

Michigan is Adidas.

Michigan is on TV more.

Michigan is Adidas.

Michigan has a better chance to win.

And did I mention Michigan is Adidas.

I'm not sure Michigan is on TV more with the SEC Network. Every game we played was on TV last year.

I think he goes to Michigan. I just don't see us picking up any of the remaining elite recruits. The only possibility is Murray and he is 50/50.

Reactions: 3bombino96

I don't buy that he was even a "racist like those in his time". I have done some extensive research that indicates the opposite. True that he chose not to be an activist or take a stand publicly, but I believe he was far from a racist. I don't want to start a debate on this here though. Just pointing that out.

Georgia fans don't care about basketball.... Until they beat Kentucky. Then they are all in. They love beating us in football,but they can't understand why UK fans care so much about football too. As much as I pull for every SEC team playing out of conference, then have to put up with a bevy of Georgia fans yelling Wisconsin at me after our loss in the NCAA. I HATE MYSELF for having conference pride.

When you are hated by the media, you can expect to see the stories that were printed by them. He would not bow to anyone so some in the media wanted to bring him down, and they tried several times.

All the players parents seem to dislike UK, but the players love UK. UK is the hot girl right now that's hard to say no too.

Georgia fans don't care about basketball.... Until they beat Kentucky. Then they are all in. They love beating us in football,but they can't understand why UK fans care so much about football too. As much as I pull for every SEC team playing out of conference, then have to put up with a bevy of Georgia fans yelling Wisconsin at me after our loss in the NCAA. I HATE MYSELF for having conference pride.
I'm sure you've got some fans in each fan base outside of Kentucky that "hate" Kentucky, but only because of their success. I'm certainly not one of those people and was 100% pulling for the Cats in the Final 4. Made me not want to watch the championship game even though it ended up being a good one after y'all lost to Wisky. I don't get any more satisfaction beating Kentucky in football than anyone else. Beating Kentucky in basketball (which obviously doesn't happen often) is pretty cool because you really know you accomplished something special.

Like Duke, your Coach is a black or white proposition. Some love Cal and think that he is a genious in being able to assemble so much talent, and get them to play as a team. Others see the issues at Umass and Memphis and judge him based on those perceptions, fair or not. Its is also easier to hate someone who wins so much. Not sure if it relates to Brown, but does relate to previous posts.

Michigan makes little sense with Caris Levert returning--along with all the other wings they have and ball spreads around. Throw in fact the Wolverines are likely landing Kenny Williams (former VCU commit) don't see this one at all.

For those not old enough to remember--the Cal interest is due to former Wheeler HS alum and Cal Bear Shareef Abdur Rahim being in ear. That is playing a larger role then any of this Cuonzo Martin building something talk. For those who want to know why Rabb ended up there--Cal added an Oakland Soldiers connect to their staff.

UK odds increase with each situation opening up--but the lone caveat--UCLA. Think it will come down to those 2 schools with Bruins likely landing him. To me--he'd be #1 target for UK due to fact he could team with Labissiere to be a (AD-MKG like duo) in a thin year for great teams. Then you add a shooter like Mulder and you push forward. If no Brown--I'd think Diallo makes sense--because Diallo is a warrior. As a neutral observer, my opinion of Lee is he has zero offensive game aside from dunking and he has no basketball concept. He tries to block shots and leaves weakside open for offensive putbacks, he goaltends obvious plays, and he mentally floats in/out. Diallo is a warrior--and that type of kid is always welcomed in any program.

People seem to forget that UK defeated Duke in the semi final that year. Duke was also an all white southern school that actually had a reputation about african american athletes - but you never hear that do you? UK beat Duke by a 2, wonder how history would have been if Duke had been the team that night instead of UK?

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Interestingly, the crystal ball at 24/7 now has Kentucky at a close second behind UCLA for Brown at 40%-37%. I'm still not actually expecting us to pull him in but I wouldn't be a surprise some people. It seems like a lot of people feel like there's 0% chance that he comes here.

People seem to forget that UK defeated Duke in the semi final that year. Duke was also an all white southern school that actually had a reputation about african american athletes - but you never hear that do you? UK beat Duke by a 2, wonder how history would have been if Duke had been the team that night instead of UK?

Go Big Blue!

It would be an underdog story about how the physically and athletically mismatched Duke team from a small private school in the South found a way to overcome all obstacles to achieve the pinnacle of college athletics. The nerds standing up to the jocks! The team's success was a precursor of things to come at Duke with players excelling in the classroom and on the court!

I've actually been told a few times, by UGA fans, that while most of them feel sorry for us in football - they do dislike our basketball. And it's for one reason - we took Tubby from them. I'm not sure how accurate that is for the whole fanbase, but for those few, that's why they hate UK>

I've actually been told a few times, by UGA fans, that while most of them feel sorry for us in football - they do dislike our basketball. And it's for one reason - we took Tubby from them. I'm not sure how accurate that is for the whole fanbase, but for those few, that's why they hate UK>

They can have him back....

There weren't many D1 schools that integrated any faster than UK. .

Probably true in the south but not true in the rest of the country. Rupp is made out to be the villian in the media because he was the most successful southern coach. If Rupp hadn't existed the media would have found another southern coach to play the part.

Not only that but even many UK fans don't give Rupp enough credit for actually being more progressive on this issue than most of his contemporaries.

Rupp was doing a lot of positive things, such as helping black kids get scholarships, assisting black coaches, coaching black players in exhibitions etc. that helped push the boundaries. He was also willing to state to the press his desire to recruit black players, which he did once the University allowed him.

And what did he get in return? On the one hand hate mail and death threats from those opposed to UK integrating. On the other hand a number of black leaders advising black recruits not to attend UK as some form of punishment. (Although many black leaders were more open minded than that and urged black players to attend UK)

Interestingly, the crystal ball at 24/7 now has Kentucky at a close second behind UCLA for Brown at 40%-37%. I'm still not actually expecting us to pull him in but I wouldn't be a surprise some people. It seems like a lot of people feel like there's 0% chance that he comes here.

Yeah Michigan makes zero sense as they have a ton of 2 and 3's especially 3's . UK and Cal make the most sense IMO and both are Nike . I have no idea where Brown goes but i know the shoes won't make a damn difference as that is the most overplayed thing in the history of recruiting . Bazz Muhommad is the only guy i think we ever lost truly due to shoes and his sister was an Addias girl so it made sense.

The team that really makes the most sense for him would be Georgia, IMO. We don't have a natural 3, he would come in and start immediately, his family would easily be able to come watch him without relocating, and he could still be a lotto pick like KCP. I understand we're not the big name, but everything else sets up perfectly for him here. That being said, he ain't coming to Georgia. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT