ADVERTISEMENT

I's sure it doesn't happen, QB related

frost-1

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
If Reece Phillips had stayed healthy, I really believe he might have been the starter this year. My reasons, smart between the ears, Great short passing skills, from Brown's remarks. a good release. this offense needs someone who can read defenses, go to 2nd or 3rd receiver, must have time, I understand that. Just from what i read he might have been the man. Now Towles probably will be the starter, which i have no problem with. He, I hope will be much improved. If there is still really a real challenge at QB, we might be in for another long season. I know keeping things open make one try harder in most cases. If no starter is not named after first few days of fall practice, might spell trouble at the QB position. I just hope one of the 3 is named early in the fall. I see 6 or more wins for the cats.

Given the way Towles played last yr, I think he is the best bet to start this yr. Absolutely not a sure bet, but the best bet.

I think Reese had a really good shot at being 2nd on the depth chart. With the surgery, I think they will try to RS Reese.....but still have him in the back of their minds as the 3rd QB with the option to pull his RS in an emergency situation.

I really don't think Reese would have been the starter. It's the Towels and Barker show. Those two guys were highly touted guys for a reason.

It's not fair but Reese looked pretty awful in the UT game last year. That's not fair to him but it is the only real chance we have had to see him in SEC warfare.

I think Towles will be the starter when fall camp opens. He obviously didn't blow anybody away in Spring but I have to think the coaches want him to be the starter for continuity and leadershop purposes.

So you think a consensus top 3 qb in the sec who might be the highest rated draft prospect at qb in the sec would of lost his job to a guy who completed 1 pass? I can see it.

If Reece Phillips had stayed healthy, I really believe he might have been the starter this year. My reasons, smart between the ears, Great short passing skills, from Brown's remarks. a good release. this offense needs someone who can read defenses, go to 2nd or 3rd receiver, must have time, I understand that. Just from what i read he might have been the man. Now Towles probably will be the starter, which i have no problem with. He, I hope will be much improved. If there is still really a real challenge at QB, we might be in for another long season. I know keeping things open make one try harder in most cases. If no starter is not named after first few days of fall practice, might spell trouble at the QB position. I just hope one of the 3 is named early in the fall. I see 6 or more wins for the cats.

Who knows, if Smith has gotten healthy and came back he might have been the starter. No one knows how these things work out until they do. Everyone was given a chance, if you don't seize the opportunity you will be standing on the sidelines. I am hoping that all of our kids are ready when the opportunity comes, that is one area that we differ with other schools. When they have someone go down, someone steps up, when we have one go down, we have suffered greatly in the past.

So you think a consensus top 3 qb in the sec who might be the highest rated draft prospect at qb in the sec would of lost his job to a guy who completed 1 pass? I can see it.

I think it is entirely realistic that he could lose his job even to someone that has yet to complete a pass(Barker). You can tout preseason projections all you want but lets not pretend even for a second that Towles was spectacular last season. His job is absolutely on the line right now and it is not ridiculous that he could lose it. He almost certainly will not lose it before the start of the season but he might shortly after the start if he plays like he did a year ago. Towles will begin the season as the starter but his leash will probably be about 2 inches long.

I think it is entirely realistic that he could lose his job even to someone that has yet to complete a pass(Barker). You can tout preseason projections all you want but lets not pretend even for a second that Towles was spectacular last season. His job is absolutely on the line right now and it is not ridiculous that he could lose it. He almost certainly will not lose it before the start of the season but he might shortly after the start if he plays like he did a year ago. Towles will begin the season as the starter but his leash will probably be about 2 inches long.
and you base this on what? stoops? barker? or just opinion?

Towles will begin the season as the starter but his leash will probably be about 2 inches long.

I don't think it will be that short. The likelihood of him getting benched against La-La is small. And if plays half-way decent against USC in game 2, he won't be benched. Maybe if he stinks against UF or Missou he might.

Your statement about having a short leash is based on the premise that Towles won't be improved from last yr. History tells us that he will be improved.......the extent of which is unknown, however.

Why does Reece get labeled "smarter between the ears"? and Towles is not?

I agree Towles had dear in headlights look last year at times but Reece looked brutal vs. UT in small appearance, and in last years spring game...he looked like overmatched physically at times.

Reece, if he plays extended snaps, teams will just sit on his short stuff and have no respect for his throws to the sideline and deep balls. Secondly, his athleticism is way over exagerated....he isn't in same class of Towles or Barker at running with ball and getting away from the rush. Reece is a decent back up QB option...but we need Towles to improve to build upon a solid So year...and then Barker to take the reigns when Towles leaves.

Reactions: KYDave32
I don't think it will be that short. The likelihood of him getting benched against La-La is small. And if plays half-way decent against USC in game 2, he won't be benched. Maybe if he stinks against UF or Missou he might.

Your statement about having a short leash is based on the premise that Towles won't be improved from last yr. History tells us that he will be improved.......the extent of which is unknown, however.

The spring has already shown us improvement in his pocket presence and his ability to hit the shorter pass with touch, which was obviously a weakness last year. The last big scrimmage showed the difference between him and Barker right now. Again, I would be extremely surprised if he isn't the starter and has an outstanding junior year.

That's more or less the viewpoint of almost everyone outside the BBN. Seems like the majority of those who don't want Towles are inside the BBN........

Yep, it's beyond amazing that so many UK fans want Towles to fail. I don't get it.

Sorry, but no. Reese is 3rd string. Glad we have him, but he's just not an SEC starting QB. I think he is a very capable back up, if we ever need him.

Sorry, but no. Reese is 3rd string. Glad we have him, but he's just not an SEC starting QB. I think he is a very capable back up, if we ever need him.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that "he's just not an SEC starting QB." It's far, far too soon to know that.
-What we do know is that he was beat out last yr by Towles in 2014
-So, he was likely heading towards 2nd or 3rd string in 2015.
-But then he was injured and needed surgery on his throwing shoulder. So, knowing that he's not likely going to be available during Spring 2015......and quite possibly the start of the yr, it's safe to assume that he's at least 3rd on the depth chart in 2015.

But he's only a RS-Soph this coming yr. Being that young and not seeing him play, we don't know what he's capable of.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that "he's just not an SEC starting QB." It's far, far too soon to know that.
-What we do know is that he was beat out last yr by Towles in 2014
-So, he was likely heading towards 2nd or 3rd string in 2015.
-But then he was injured and needed surgery on his throwing shoulder. So, knowing that he's not likely going to be available during Spring 2015......and quite possibly the start of the yr, it's safe to assume that he's at least 3rd on the depth chart in 2015.

But he's only a RS-Soph this coming yr. Being that young and not seeing him play, we don't know what he's capable of.

Raider, if you're referring to Phillips...he had Achilles surgery, not shoulder.

Everyone loves the backup QB until he comes into the game and immediately throws a pick-six against Tennessee.

Don't get me wrong, Reese is a nice kid and I've always liked his throwing motion and tight spirals, but unfortunately when you're playing QB for UK (in the SEC) behind our o-line you better be really strong, semi-athletic, and have tons of confidence to cope with constantly being under pressure and the bad things that will inevitably happen during the game.

PT and Barker are just on another tier. Reese is more of a Max Smith, WKU-type or C-USA type QB IMHO. That's not a knock on him as much as it is a compliment to Towles. Reese got stuck trying to beat out the guy that might be the best NFL prospect in the SEC. He got stuck behind a guy that has NFL strength in his arm.

People have always been infatuated with the idea of the great backup, but Reese has had his chances to win the job and he hasn't done so. He got one whiff of the pressure that PT faced all season when he came into the UT game and he looked pretty bad (to say the least).

It takes a really, really talented guy (who also has tons of confidence/swagger/short memory) to play QB against SEC defenses; especially when you're playing behind the worst o-line in the league. You not only have to talented, but you have to have the swagger and confidence of a guy like Towles who is the rare combination of a first-year sophomore starter who could get "roughed up" yet still go out and be one of the best QB's in the league while he's learning on the job, and not let the constant pressure from a really terrible offensive line effect the mental side of his game (which is the most difficult thing to do in ALL OF SPORTS).

That's why some of the most talented QB's in the SEC don't pant out; they start experiencing pressure and speed and they start losing their confidence.

It is VERY, VERY rare for a first year underclassmen starter to come in and be under constant pressure and not only survive the season but THRIVE like Towles did last year, ending up as the league's 4th-leading passer.

That's why so many college football experts and knowledgable UK football fans are excited about what Towles will do this year with another year of experience after going through the gauntlet, and playing behind what should be a significantly improved offensive line and vastly more experienced skill players and depth.

Towles is on the verge of a breakout season (notwithstanding injury).

When I look back at Andre Woodson's and Mike Hartline's first year, and see how much vast improvement they made between their first and second years as starter, it gets me pretty excited for what Towles will do this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueTick2
Raider, if you're referring to Phillips...he had Achilles surgery, not shoulder.

Ughh, flashbacks of Mossakowski. Still, an achilles (particularly if it's his right one) is just as devastating to a throwing motion........and often takes longer to recover from.

The title of this thread is the most un-English confusing title I've ever read. Where did you learn English?

I appreciate your concern, but i just fine, thank you.

You're right…and if Ryan Harrow didn't get home sick he would have been a first round pick.

And if Billy Clyde hadn't had a drinking problem he would have won 3 straight national championships.

If Reece Phillips had stayed healthy, I really believe he might have been the starter this year. My reasons, smart between the ears, Great short passing skills, from Brown's remarks. a good release.
It's difficult to understand how you arrived at your conclusion. All those things were also true last year, when Towles started every game. There isn't anything wrong with Reece Phillips, but I can't see him ever starting a game at Kentucky as long as Towles and Barker are healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT