ADVERTISEMENT

Is everybody going to post up Ulis next year?

Blueathletics

Senior
Dec 21, 2007
That's my guess if the opponent has bigger guards......Then we'll need rotation for when Skal has to help out

What y'all think?

I think that if Cal chooses to switch on every screen then yes, opponents will try to isolate Ulis in the post.

Hopefully Cal will adjust his defense as to limit mismatches.

That's my guess if the opponent has bigger guards......Then we'll need rotation for when Skal has to help out

What y'all think?

No some will just shoot over him from the perimeter. I trust Cal to maximize the advantages and minimize the disadvantages of Ulis unusual height. I was watching the '81 Cats play on youtube last night and couldn't help but think of Ulis whenever Dickey Beal was in the game.

Andrew had a height advantage most of the time for 2 years...how often did he post up?

Most teams don't post their point guards. Few will change that for one game. You do see big guards take Ulis to a sweet spot on the floor (elbow, for instance) and shoot a jumper over him.

Reactions: AFSTALLION13
Andrew had a height advantage most of the time for 2 years...how often did he post up?

Most teams don't post their point guards. Few will change that for one game. You do see big guards take Ulis to a sweet spot on the floor (elbow, for instance) and shoot a jumper over him.

Exactly. Guard post ups are more prevalent in the NBA. The only worry is a three point shooting type guard. See Ole Miss.

One great thing about Calipari is that he sought out Isaiah Thomas - also 5'9", and holding his own in the NBA - for advice on how to help Ulis. I think that was in an article on this board several weeks ago.

Everybody said Ulis is going to be solid next year, but I don't get it. During the tournament, we all see he is a non-factor during high pressure, high intensity moment. Will that change after a summer?

A very underrated part of ulis' game is his post defense. Watch any situation where someone tried to post him after a switch. He prevented them from getting any position at all, which most of the time resulted in the ball not even getting thrown into the post.

He'll be more than fine.

Everybody said Ulis is going to be solid next year, but I don't get it. During the tournament, we all see he is a non-factor during high pressure, high intensity moment. Will that change after a summer?
There are only so many guys on a team that can make plays in clutch moments. With both Harrisons, Towns, and sometimes Booker trying to take big time shots, there weren't exactly tons of opportunities, nor did it make sense, for the undersized freshman PG to try and take over a game. Ulis is going to be great this year. More opportunity, and more chances to show off what kind of player he is will really prove some guys on this board wrong.

Not worried about a guard posting Ulis, it is the stronger guards who drive on him and pull up over him.

Jackson for Wisconsin simply tried to to bully Tyler and Cal had to take him out. It is what is and we will see it from time to time.

This might be the dumbest thing I've read all week. Ulis avevarged during the tournament:
6.2 points
3 assists
0.8 turnovers
1.6 steals
2 rebounds
50% 3-point FG%
36% FG%
89% free throw%
25.8 minutes
His stats are pretty much the same as the regular season. How exactly was he a non-factor during high pressure, high intensity moments?

Reactions: Brando Mac
This might be the dumbest thing I've read all week. Ulis avevarged during the tournament:
6.2 points
3 assists
0.8 turnovers
1.6 steals
2 rebounds
50% 3-point FG%
36% FG%
89% free throw%
25.8 minutes
His stats are pretty much the same as the regular season. How exactly was he a non-factor during high pressure, high intensity moments?

Because he wants to be a pessimist.

Reactions: Brando Mac
I noticed that the officials allowed the man that Ulis was guarding to be very physical and shove Ulis off a lot in games last season. It could be a problem if that continues next season. Ulis would be guarding close and the man he was defending would just shove him off with his off arm which should be an offensive foul but was seldom called. I don't see a problem if games are called properly because Ulis plays good position defense but if the officials allow him to be bullied it could be a problem.

UK needs to get at least one more guard with decent size which they can bring in if the officials are allowing Ulis to be bullied. Hawkins might be OK if he has improved some but I think they need one more. IMO UK needs one more guard and one more big man and I would like the big man to be one that can himself do some bullying in the post. The one I want most is Diallo.

Ulis is not the first really short guard in cbb. Monte Towe was even shorter and he had a pretty nice college career, and even played in the pros. Same with Mugsy Bogues and Spud Webb. Coaches figure out how to work around that issue.

What y'all think?
Many teams will try to post up Ulis, because it is a smart thing to do. Most will be unsuccessful because of Calipari's style of help defense, but the best teams will be able to exploit this. Of course, Calipari has an option for sitting down Ulis and playing Briscoe at the point, in the same way that Ulis sat this year when other teams exploited his size.

Wisconsin is the only team I'm aware of that consistently practices post moves with it's guards in practice. The guard post up is a dying art and therefore even though a lot of coaches may want to post up Ulis it won't be effective if a guard doesn't know what to do on the block.

This is very good.

This is unbelievably bad.

Reactions: AFSTALLION13

If you don't get it, you probably don't need to watch basketball. You don't understand the sport, not even a little.

Matchups and styles make games. Like all players, Ulis has strengths and weaknesses. Ulis had some big games and some silent games. He is not a dominant player, but he is a good player who can be very effective in certain types of matchups. He was ineffective against Wisconsin, but you can't blame that loss on him. Wisconsin won because they outrebounded us 43-22 and because WCS was dominated by Wisconsin's bigs. Ulis will be a year older and more experienced next year. He will still be a tiny, aggressive, smart player whose effectiveness depends on matchups and styles.

I fully expect Ulis to become a much more intelligent on-ball defender this upcoming year as well, despite already being very good in that area. That can take him a long way in not struggling against bigger guards. He also has more experience in defending bigger, stronger, elite caliber guards than a lot of starting point guards will get in their college careers. We're going to be fine.
I would rather have a small point guard who is a brilliant facilitator and excellent shooter having to overcome size, as opposed to having a large point guard having to learn how to become a brilliant facilitator and excellent shooter any day.

I noticed that the officials allowed the man that Ulis was guarding to be very physical and shove Ulis off a lot in games last season. It could be a problem if that continues next season. Ulis would be guarding close and the man he was defending would just shove him off with his off arm which should be an offensive foul but was seldom called. I don't see a problem if games are called properly because Ulis plays good position defense but if the officials allow him to be bullied it could be a problem.

UK needs to get at least one more guard with decent size which they can bring in if the officials are allowing Ulis to be bullied. Hawkins might be OK if he has improved some but I think they need one more. IMO UK needs one more guard and one more big man and I would like the big man to be one that can himself do some bullying in the post. The one I want most is Diallo.
It is my understand that Ulis will speed the summer at Duke learning the "Flop" under the tutelage of Coach K. So, he should be in good shape for next year's "over size guards" using their off arm.

Tyler has had to deal with being a small player his whole life, and trust me as once a shorter player myself, it's not just situational...It's life and he can handle it.

How often do you see a guard post up? We had huge guards this year that could take advantage of that every game if we wanted to, and we never did. Ulis played a lot this year, and I don't remember it happening once. Guys will be able to shoot over him, and will be able to muscle him out of the way to the rim, but there are ways to counteract that.

This ^^^^^^

And... You are on ignore.

Ulis and Harrison different types...
Ulis and Briscoe different types...
If one dont work on a particular night, switch them around
Thats what Cal did last year...speedy Ulis...bigger Harrison
No PG is going to matchup perfectly every single night.
PG is the last position Im concerned about. I dont think we miss a beat. may actually be better!

Ulis is too quick to get posted up consistently. His quickness allows him to front his man and puts him in a position to get the steal. Also, having a bigger point guard or two guard that has a consistent post game is pretty rare. It sounds like a weakness in theory, but reality doesn't match up.

Ulis hit one of the biggest shots of the season for the cats against Notre Dame

IS everybody going to post up Ulis? No. Most players don't have a clue what do when posting up. Just because a player is taller doesn't mean he has an advantage in the post.

Ulis and Frazier will be a fun matchup to watch next year. So much quickness and so little length haha

I think that if Cal chooses to switch on every screen then yes, opponents will try to isolate Ulis in the post.

Hopefully Cal will adjust his defense as to limit mismatches.
This! Coach Cal will have no choice IMO to hedge and go over or under screens with our defense.

ADVERTISEMENT