ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa

footballfanatic77

Sophomore
Jun 17, 2015
California
Some people talk of Mark Stoops being fired if the Wildcats don't show significant progress this season or next. I think the likelihood of him being scooped up by another school is the biggest threat to his tenure at UK, though. I honestly don't think he would leave for just any school, UK is showing a commitment to football that I've never seen before; but making progress in the SEC is notoriously tough, especially for a school that lacks the history and traditions of most of the other schools. One school that worries me most is Iowa. The Hawkeyes have a pretty good history (13 conference championships, 1 national championship, an all-time winning record, etc), but they have become increasingly stale under Kirk Ferentz and I fully expect them to make a change in the next year or two if things don't improve. Because Stoops played for Iowa, I would think that would make him a prime target for them if they do decide to go coach-shopping, along with Bret Bielema. Mark Stoops is a favorite on the Hawkeyes message boards. They seem to think he is the most attainable on their wishlist and that he could probably come into the Big Ten and start winning immediately (I don't disagree with them about that).

Some people talk of Mark Stoops being fired if the Wildcats don't show significant progress this season or next. I think the likelihood of him being scooped up by another school is the biggest threat to his tenure at UK, though. I honestly don't think he would leave for just any school, UK is showing a commitment to football that I've never seen before; but making progress in the SEC is notoriously tough, especially for a school that lacks the history and traditions of most of the other schools. One school that worries me most is Iowa. The Hawkeyes have a pretty good history (13 conference championships, 1 national championship, an all-time winning record, etc), but they have become increasingly stale under Kirk Ferentz and I fully expect them to make a change in the next year or two if things don't improve. Because Stoops played for Iowa, I would think that would make him a prime target for them if they do decide to go coach-shopping, along with Bret Bielema. Mark Stoops is a favorite on the Hawkeyes message boards. They seem to think he is the most attainable on their wishlist and that he could probably come into the Big Ten and start winning immediately (I don't disagree with them about that).
Stoops recently signed a contract extension at Kentucky, and his assistant coaches got raised. So Stoops is in Lexington for a while. If the Ohio State job came open, Stoops might not be a top tier candidate now. But a couple of years from now, he might be. That's the job I worry about. No reason to worry about Iowa. Iowa might want Stoops, but Iowa would not be a good career move for him. I think Stoops stays at Kentucky for a long time.

Stoops recently signed a contract extension at Kentucky, and his assistant coaches got raised. So Stoops is in Lexington for a while. If the Ohio State job came open, Stoops might not be a top tier candidate now. But a couple of years from now, he might be. That's the job I worry about. No reason to worry about Iowa. Iowa might want Stoops, but Iowa would not be a good career move for him. I think Stoops stays at Kentucky for a long time.

The only reason I think it might be a good move is 1) instant success 2) they seem to like to overpay their coaches and 3) it is his alma mater. If I'm not mistaken, Stoops' UK contract doesn't have a buyout clause, so it likely wouldn't really keep him at UK if he did decide he wanted to leave for greener (i.e. easier) pastures.

The only reason I think it might be a good move is 1) instant success 2) they seem to like to overpay their coaches and 3) it is his alma mater. If I'm not mistaken, Stoops' UK contract doesn't have a buyout clause, so it likely wouldn't really keep him at UK if he did decide he wanted to leave for greener (i.e. easier) pastures.

If Stoops starts winning some big games this year and finishes with a 7 or 8-win season or so, I could see him becoming attractive to a couple teams.

If that does happen, one of the only things that would make it somewhat possible he leaves is Barnhart's bizarre decision not to include a buyout clause in his contract.

But at this point, Stoops has gone 2-10 and 5-7. If teams are beating down his door with that record, then more power to them.

We're just not used to having coaches and players that other teams want. Does zero good to worry about it. The better you are, the more your coaches are pursued.

I think the Kentucky job is more attractive than many of you think too. Playing in the best conference in the nation with some above average facilities and one of the most supportive fanbases in football.

I know Iowa is where he played, but it just strikes me as a lateral move.

Nothing to worry about. When we start winning, then you can start worrying..until then, there's no point.

Last edited:
"If that does happen the thing that would make it likely he leaves is Barnhart's bizarre decision not to include a buyout clause in his contract."

Careful there.

He's not gonna leave for Iowa. Why take a bottom sec job for a lower tier biG job? They can't pay much more than us. 8f he's on their radar then he's one more good season from getting offers he can't turn down.... but that's a couple years of winning away.

He's not gonna leave for Iowa. Why take a bottom sec job for a lower tier biG job? They can't pay much more than us. 8f he's on their radar then he's one more good season from getting offers he can't turn down.... but that's a couple years of winning away.

If he moved to Iowa he could win big much easier. And I think their current coach is one of the higher paid coaches in the country. I agree with the sentiment some others have posted that it's a good thing to have a coach that is a hot commodity and Stoops isn't there yet, but I think he might be in the next year or two.

If he moved to Iowa he could win big much easier. And I think their current coach is one of the higher paid coaches in the country. I agree with the sentiment some others have posted that it's a good thing to have a coach that is a hot commodity and Stoops isn't there yet, but I think he might be in the next year or two.

Yeah, and I'm not sure how Iowa is a "low" tier Big 10 (+4) job either. They are middle of the pack, and good some years.

That said, do not see Stoops leaving for Iowa.

Reactions: footballfanatic77

Stoops seems to be a man of his word, and as of right now he would even admit that he has not accomplished as much as he would have like to at this stage of being at Kentucky. He will stay until he is a success for sure and even then, depending on how the administration treats him, I think his pride in building something special in the Bluegrass is on his mind. I hope he is a lifer if things keep going up like they are now.

Stoops seems to be a man of his word, and as of right now he would even admit that he has not accomplished as much as he would have like to at this stage of being at Kentucky. He will stay until he is a success for sure and even then, depending on how the administration treats him, I think his pride in building something special in the Bluegrass is on his mind. I hope he is a lifer if things keep going up like they are now.

It seems that today with social media and all that, smaller programs can have great success both in recruiting and on the field. Schools like TCU, Baylor, and Boise State have become consistently successful. I think the unique thing about UK is that it is the flagship school in Kentucky and has resources equivalent to or better than some other state schools which would seemingly put it in an even better position than those other successful schools I mentioned.

Summer discussions ....

It is his alma mater, but if he has success at UK, he will be offered better jobs than Iowa. Franklin, Dinardo, Miles ... Success at schools not traditionally known for football provide coaches with real opportunity. Iowa is not that, IMO.

Don't see anyway he would leave with the new practice facility gong to be open next year. I talked to a big Hawkeye season ticket holder recently and he didn't think Stoops would leave UK to go there. He basically felt it was a "lateral" move and unless he felt strong ties to his alma mater, that Lexington is probably a better gig for him with his ties to Ohio.

As far as buyouts, they rarely keep coaches there if they want to leave. And do we really want a coach to stay just because he has a "buyout" if he really wants to coach somewhere else? I love Coach Stoops and what he is doing, but what kind of a job will he do if he wants out and a huge buyout is preventing other schools from looking at him.

Stoops isn't leaving for garbage ass Iowa LMAO! IF HE WINS HERE THIS COULD BE HIS HOME FOR A LONG TIME TO COME!IOWA YEAH SURE!!!!:joy:

I really don't think Iowa is a stretch. A lot of people didn't think it made sense for Harbaugh to go to Michigan. I realize they are historically a lot better than Iowa. But historically Iowa is a lot better than Kentucky. Sometimes there is a certain allure to going back "home" to the team you played for. I'm not saying that will happen, in fact I think it won't. But, I think they are a stronger possibility than most people on this board seem to; even if he chooses to stay at UK it would not surprise me at all for them to make a play for him assuming he can get to and win a bowl game this season (and improve next season, depending on when they do the inevitable and fire Ferentz).

Stoops is not a job hopper. That isn't his nature. He is being taken care of by Barnhart, and he will be in Lexington for a while. If he ever leaves, it will be for an elite job. I doubt there are 5 schools in the country that can pry Stoops out of Lexington. Iowa isn't 1 of them. Iowa pays Ferentz well, but Barnhart will pay Stoops well enough to dim any interest in lateral moves of that kind. Barnhart is upgrading all of our facilities for Stoops, and Stoops knows that. It is a strong relationship.

I really don't think Iowa is a stretch. A lot of people didn't think it made sense for Harbaugh to go to Michigan. I realize they are historically a lot better than Iowa. But historically Iowa is a lot better than Kentucky. Sometimes there is a certain allure to going back "home" to the team you played for. I'm not saying that will happen, in fact I think it won't. But, I think they are a stronger possibility than most people on this board seem to; even if he chooses to stay at UK it would not surprise me at all for them to make a play for him assuming he can get to and win a bowl game this season (and improve next season, depending on when they do the inevitable and fire Ferentz).
Michigan was Harbaugh's best option, unless he wanted to be an ESPN analyst. He was about to be fired in SF. Iowa is not Stoops' home. Granted, he played there. But Stoops views Ohio as home, and Ohio is also his prime recruiting territory. Stoops has rapidly improved Kentucky's football roster by bringing in Ohio players from across the river. Kentucky is much closer to Ohio than Iowa is. Could Stoops convince a lot of Ohio high school players to sign with Iowa? I doubt it. It makes no sense for Stoops to move from an up and coming SEC program where he is very popular, that is giving him 100 support in every way, to a down in the dumps Big Ten program much farther from Ohio.

Michigan was Harbaugh's best option, unless he wanted to be an ESPN analyst. He was about to be fired in SF. Iowa is not Stoops' home. Granted, he played there. But Stoops views Ohio as home, and Ohio is also his prime recruiting territory. Stoops has rapidly improved Kentucky's football roster by bringing in Ohio players from across the river. Kentucky is much closer to Ohio than Iowa is. Could Stoops convince a lot of Ohio high school players to sign with Iowa? I doubt it. It makes no sense for Stoops to move from an up and coming SEC program where he is very popular, that is giving him 100 support in every way, to a down in the dumps Big Ten program much farther from Ohio.

I'm a 49ers fan, but I doubt his best option was a rebuild at Michigan. A lot of coaches would take any NFL job over any college job. There's definitely something to be said for not having to deal with recruiting and compliance issues. Otherwise I mostly agree though I don't think it's as easily discounted an idea as you make it seem.

I'm a 49ers fan, but I doubt his best option was a rebuild at Michigan. A lot of coaches would take any NFL job over any college job. There's definitely something to be said for not having to deal with recruiting and compliance issues. Otherwise I mostly agree though I don't think it's as easily discounted an idea as you make it seem.
The rank order of Harbaugh's professional alternatives had little to do with the main point of my post, although I think his choice of Michigan is a clear statement of the way he viewed them. I am only saying that Stoops won't leave Kentucky to move to Iowa.

osu, mich, psu, nebraska, and wisc are the blue bloods of the biG. iowa is not in that upper group. they are above iu and northwestern.. and purdue most years. we are down a notch from iowa now but if he's doing well enough to be hired by them then he would have us pretty much equal.

I don't understand the almost universal assumption that he will leave if he succeeds in building our program into a contender. I think we might have more to offer than Iowa, even considering it is his alma mater, and I'm not sure OSU has enough money to offset what he probably already understands to be the reality of being the head man in Columbus. Ironically, while being an alum might not make Iowa a big draw, it might make him take a pretty dim view of OSU. He certainly isn't so in love with OSU that he shys from competition with the Bucks.

If he does turn our program around, he will enjoy a LONG second honeymoon in Lexington, and in this day and age, the smart money sees plenty in that, even if the check is "only" $3M a year, rather than $5-6M. He grew up around coaching, and I think he might enjoy being remembered as the guy who built and SUSTAINED success at UK more than simply being remembered as another guy who took an already established elite program (read: pressure cooker) job.

If he moved to Iowa he could win big much easier.
There are a couple of huge flaws in your logic. Iowa is in no position to win big, or win easily. You might be assuming Iowa can win big because Ferentz had some success early in his regime at Iowa. But Iowa has been badly hurt by the expansion of the Big 10, as new conference programs like Penn State, Maryland, and Nebraska have momentum and a lot more resources. So far, Big Ten expansion has not brought additional media attention for Ferentz's program. Iowa is sinking like a rock to the bottom tier of the conference. That might get Ferentz fired, but Iowa would be a trap job for Stoops. Stoops' magic recruiting territory is in Ohio, far from Iowa. This works great for him at Kentucky, because Ohio and Kentucky border each other. It would not work at Iowa. And Vince Marrow would not go with him to Iowa either. Marrow just turned down a job at Michigan. Stoops won't leave Kentucky for a while, if ever.

Kentucky isn't going to get better then stoops. If they fired him who else could they get better? There's nobody better for this job then mark stoops

There are a couple of huge flaws in your logic. Iowa is in no position to win big, or win easily. You might be assuming Iowa can win big because Ferentz had some success early in his regime at Iowa. But Iowa has been badly hurt by the expansion of the Big 10, as new conference programs like Penn State, Maryland, and Nebraska have momentum and a lot more resources. So far, Big Ten expansion has not brought additional media attention for Ferentz's program. Iowa is sinking like a rock to the bottom tier of the conference. That might get Ferentz fired, but Iowa would be a trap job for Stoops. Stoops' magic recruiting territory is in Ohio, far from Iowa. This works great for him at Kentucky, because Ohio and Kentucky border each other. It would not work at Iowa. And Vince Marrow would not go with him to Iowa either. Marrow just turned down a job at Michigan. Stoops won't leave Kentucky for a while, if ever.

He could win easier because of the history and tradition and because the Big Ten is easier. Even with improved teams it's still significantly easier than the SEC. The best teams they played in the regular season (2014) were Maryland, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Compare that to the gauntlet UK faces every year.

He could win easier because of the history and tradition and because the Big Ten is easier. Even with improved teams it's still significantly easier than the SEC. The best teams they played in the regular season (2014) were Maryland, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Nebraska. Compare that to the gauntlet UK faces every year.
You seem determined to argue the case for Stoops leaving Kentucky to move to Iowa. It isn't going to happen, and I have given you some of the reasons. If you still think it will happen, let us know when you hear something definitive.

You seem determined to argue the case for Stoops leaving Kentucky to move to Iowa. It isn't going to happen, and I have given you some of the reasons. If you still think it will happen, let us know when you hear something definitive.

I'm supporting the proposition that they are one of the more likely programs, but like I said repeatedly, I don't think he leaves anytime soon. I just think they are one to keep an eye on.

ADVERTISEMENT