ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana slow poke law

WildcatfaninOhio

All-American
May 22, 2002
Milford, OH (originally from Covington, KY)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/08/slow-drivers-left-lane-law/28703987/

Here's a new law that i can agree with. And from our good friends in The Hoosier State, no less. I can only hope that Ohio and Kentucky follow suit and pass similar laws. Not many things more aggravating than driving behind folks that are in the wrong lane and wont move to the right.

Now IN is making us look bad. I pass slowpoke idiots on the right just to piss them off. Slowpokes, you know who you are. Stop it!

I'll say this, people from Indiana are the worst at staying in the left lanes. I wouldn't get your hopes of this changing anything though, thousands run red lights all day and you don't hear of staggering ticket amounts. People drive 85-90 down the interstates too because they get away with it more times than not. Just another law that makes people feel good without actually doing something.

I live in Ohio and this law needs to be here badly. Not just for the sake of writing tickets, but to increase awareness that they don't need to be hugging the left lane.

I'll tell you what I notice about Ohio drivers is that they LOVE the middle lane on the interstate. Gets on my nerves to no end and at least in my mind is far more dangerous than just hogging the left lane.

I thought it was a federal law that if you had a minivan with Ohio plates you were required to go three mph below the speed limit in the left lane on the way to the beach.

Reactions: -LEK-
I use to go up to Mid-Ohio raceway when the had the SCCA nationals.
Seemed like there was always someone in the left lane poking along under the speed limit.
They should also fine semi-drivers that run side by side clogging up all the lanes.

Someone from Ohio complaining about drivers in the left lane. [laughing]

I'm not from Ohio, I live in Ohio. And they drive like asshole here. Literally every day of my life I'm stuck behind someone in the left lane going at or below the speed limit. Never seen anything like it.

I'll tell you what I notice about Ohio drivers is that they LOVE the middle lane on the interstate. Gets on my nerves to no end and at least in my mind is far more dangerous than just hogging the left lane.
My rule of thumb, if there are three lanes, use the middle lane if you are going 5 mph over the speed limit. Stay in the far right if you are going the exact or just below the limit. Use the left if you are simply passing folks in the middle. Its really not rocket science. A cop will never pull you over if you are going 5 mph over which is where I try to stay at. 10mph over is when it gets dicey, but where I live people think the left lane gives them the right to go 20+mph over the limit.

Awesome- give cops even more reasons to pull people over and give them $200 tickets.

If you encounter a slow driver in the left lane just 1) Pass driver using the right hand lane, 2) merge back to left hand lane using the left blinker, 3) immediately upon entering left hand lane in front of slow driver from Ohio or Indiana you immediately turn your right blinker on.

Its great and nearly always gets a good response. The next best thing is to just sit behind them with your lights on and shake your head. That's one that usually really gets their attention. Love messing with idiots. Nothing road rage, just enough to make the think about how dumb they are.

I believe it already is a law in KY, seems like you're only allowed to stay in fast lane in reasonable enough time to pass. I personally saw two drivers I had been caught behind in Tennessee get pulled over just a few miles after crossing into KY by a state trooper. They weren't speeding , I had been caught behind them and a Diesel running 60mph for about 30 miles. They would not speed up to pass the truck, just stayed right there beside him.
And whoever mentioned TN drivers is right, here in Weste KY if you see someone who will not get out of the fast lane, odds are its a TN driver.

I've always found Lexington to be full of the worst drivers. Perhaps this is due to people who aren't used to heavy traffic visiting from out of town and becoming overwhelmed.

My rule of thumb, if there are three lanes, use the middle lane if you are going 5 mph over the speed limit. Stay in the far right if you are going the exact or just below the limit. Use the left if you are simply passing folks in the middle. Its really not rocket science. A cop will never pull you over if you are going 5 mph over which is where I try to stay at. 10mph over is when it gets dicey, but where I live people think the left lane gives them the right to go 20+mph over the limit.
That's exactly what I do on a three lane interstate. I usually have my cruise set on 75-77 and stay in the middle lane unless I have to pass then I use the left...sometimes the right lane if fast traffic is coming up in the left lane.

Did you read the article? This has nothing to do with making it illegal to do the speed limit. It makes it illegal to hold the passing lane. Drive the speed limit all you want. Just stay to the right where you belong.
The law is a paradox. If you're going the speed limit in the left lane and holding up cars, then by virtue of the cicumstances, the people wanting to pass you would be law breakers.

The law is a paradox. If you're going the speed limit in the left lane and holding up cars, then by virtue of the cicumstances, the people wanting to pass you would be law breakers.
The law says "Stay to the right except to pass".

The law says "Stay to the right except to pass".
This. Whether the speed you are traveling is above or below the speed limit, if you aren't passing someone get to the right. The morons that try to justify hanging out in the left lane ALWAYS are the problem.

I think that their logic works like this: "I know that the RIGHT lane is the slow lane. I may not want to go as slow as some people and I am too lazy/distracted to have to pass them by changing lanes all the time. Therefore I will drive in the LEFT lane all the time at whatever speed I want. Eff the people behind me...oh and if you pass me on the right you suck for some reason so I will flip you off."

ADVERTISEMENT