ADVERTISEMENT

In Duke's 5 title wins, they have shot 41 more FTs vs opponents

i hav no idea where that shot came from. and speaking of "disingenuous", could we not pull multiple shots from ANY team where a call didn't go as you wanted it, so therefore, ALL calls are favoring ANY team?

that doesn't really hold up...

How old are you? That was in a Champion-Freaking-Ship-Game... you (post edited for insulting, but accurate, profanities) !!!

Okay... at least we've established that you don't know very much about your team's history of getting favorable whistles, and non-whistles when needed, especially in big games.

You probably don't know that Coach Krybabyschitzski (yes, that's right... the same guy who coaches Dook at the moment) used to complain about Dean Smith getting all the calls... until Smith retired, and K assumed the role of NCAA's Most Favored Son.

5 championships.

could anyone offer up some valid REASON why there is a conspiracy to allow duke to "get all the calls"?

How old are you? That was in a Champion-Freaking-Ship-Game... you (post edited for insulting, but accurate, profanities) !!!

Okay... at least we've established that you don't know very much about your team's history of getting favorable whistles, and non-whistles when needed, especially in big games.

You probably don't know that Coach Krybabyschitzski (yes, that's right... the same guy who coaches Dook at the moment) used to complain about Dean Smith getting all the calls... until Smith retired, and K assumed the role of NCAA's Most Favored Son.

Krybabyschitzski??? Lol!!! That is like sooooo awesome!!!!! Some of you losers really need to get a life. Yeah, I know tht Duke winning "your" championship and your boys fvcking up 40-0 is killing you guys but come on....

Reactions: Vic Von Erich
Krybabyschitzski??? Lol!!! That is like sooooo awesome!!!!! Some of you losers really need to get a life. Yeah, I know tht Duke winning "your" championship and your boys fvcking up 40-0 is killing you guys but come on....

Who let this whiny teenage girl on here?

i'm pretty sure neither Carolina nor UK has cornered that market. his face speaks for itself. most reasonable men would agree.

Ha haaa, it's all about the HATE....and you know it. Cal is some greater guy than K? Only in your eyes because Cal is your coach. Cal isn't thought very highly of outside of Kentucky. Maybe you hadn't noticed.

Ha haaa, it's all about the HATE....and you know it. Cal is some greater guy than K? Only in your eyes because Cal is your coach. Cal isn't thought very highly of outside of Kentucky. Maybe you hadn't noticed.

these are the words of a man whose johnny-come-lately program is built upon the work of just one coach.

did duke fans even exist before K arrived?

i'm pretty sure neither Carolina nor UK has cornered that market. his face speaks for itself. most reasonable men would agree.

So...the way his face looks makes him a bad guy...makes sense, Lol. And he is also pretty much the greatest coach in the history of college bball. And no, Wooden is NOT. Different era and he was very shady.

"Johnny come lately program". Lollllll. Yeah, dummy, Duke isn't thought of as a somewhat decent bball school/program. What a moron.

The Duke Basketball Wikipedia page starts in 1980. That screams "We're a Johnny-Come-Lately program."

Results by season (1980–2015)[edit]

For the entire season-by-season results, see List of Duke Blue Devils men's basketball seasons.

Season Coach Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Mike Krzyzewski
(Atlantic Coast Conference) (1980–Present)
1980–81 Mike Krzyzewski 17–13 6–8 T-5th NIT Quarterfinals
1981–82 Mike Krzyzewski 10–17 4–10 T-6th —
1982–83 Mike Krzyzewski 11–17 3–11 7th —
1983–84 Mike Krzyzewski 24–10 7–7 T-3rd NCAA Round of 32
1984–85 Mike Krzyzewski 23–8 8–6 T-4th NCAA Round of 32
1985–86 Mike Krzyzewski 37–3 12–2 1st NCAA Finalist
1986–87 Mike Krzyzewski 24–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1987–88 Mike Krzyzewski 28–7 9–5 3rd NCAA Final Four
1988–89 Mike Krzyzewski 28–8 9–5 T-2nd NCAA Final Four
1989–90 Mike Krzyzewski 29–9 9–5 T-2nd NCAA Finalist
1990–91 Mike Krzyzewski 32–7 11–3 1st National Champions
1991–92 Mike Krzyzewski 34–2 14–2 1st National Champions
1992–93 Mike Krzyzewski 24–8 10–6 T-3rd NCAA Round of 32
1993–94 Mike Krzyzewski 28–6 12–4 1st NCAA Finalist
1994–95 Mike Krzyzewski
Pete Gaudet 13–18 2–14 9th —
1995–96 Mike Krzyzewski 18–13 8–8 T-4th NCAA Round of 64
1996–97 Mike Krzyzewski 24–9 12–4 1st NCAA Round of 32
1997–98 Mike Krzyzewski 32–4 15–1 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1998–99 Mike Krzyzewski 37–2 16–0 1st NCAA Finalist
1999–2000 Mike Krzyzewski 29–5 15–1 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01 Mike Krzyzewski 35–4 13–3 T-1st National Champions
2001–02 Mike Krzyzewski 31–4 13–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03 Mike Krzyzewski 26–7 11–5 T-3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2003–04 Mike Krzyzewski 31–6 13–3 1st NCAA Final Four
2004–05 Mike Krzyzewski 27–6 11–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005–06 Mike Krzyzewski 32–4 14–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2006–07 Mike Krzyzewski 22–11 8–8 T-6th NCAA Round of 64
2007–08 Mike Krzyzewski 28–6 13–3 2nd NCAA Round of 32
2008–09 Mike Krzyzewski 30–7 11–5 T-2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2009–10 Mike Krzyzewski 35–5 13–3 T-1st National Champions
2010–11 Mike Krzyzewski 32–5 13–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Mike Krzyzewski 27–7 13–3 2nd NCAA Round of 64
2012–13 Mike Krzyzewski 30–6 14–4 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Mike Krzyzewski 26–9 13–5 3rd NCAA Round of 64
2014–15 Mike Krzyzewski 35–4 15–3 2nd National Champions
Mike Krzyzewski: 945–251 377–152
Total: 945–251

Ohhh, so because Wikipedia decided to start there means their history before 1980 doesn't count, huh? Either way, to call Duke. "Johnny come lately" IS utterly ridiculous. Sorry you are so upset that they stole UKs title this year.

Yeah, that is dumb. Duke has been one of, if not THE, most successful program in the last 30 or so years. To be frank, I care a lot more about basketball that has been played when I was alive and the rules were vaguely familiar and people of every race could play and all of that, than I do about basketball played around WW2. I think calling Duke a Johnny come lately program is just denial of the highest order.

That said, I don't think there are many fans at all, from any school, who would say that... So maybe you just have to take some amount of Internet forum silliness and let it roll off your back.

Since Coach K lived through his third season after the Iron Dukes told him "win or you're gone," dUKe's program has been as good as there has been in the subsequent three decades. Probably the best. K himself will go down in history as one of the greatest - some will say the greatest college coach of all time. It's crazy to doubt that or say they're a Johnny Come Lately. Now...to call them a "power" before K arrived on campus shows a lack of the meaning of that term. As we've said many times before, I used to walk into Cameron, pay face value for tickets and sit eight rows behind either bench during three of K's first four seasons. What he's built over that time is tremendous.

It's not the winningest program in the history of revenue generating athletics tremendous - but nothing else is...

GO BIG BLUE!

So...the way his face looks makes him a bad guy...makes sense, Lol. And he is also pretty much the greatest coach in the history of college bball. And no, Wooden is NOT. Different era and he was very shady.

And Duke and Coach K aren't shady?

Chris Duhon and Lane Thomas say "hi" and those are the ones we know about. Imagine the stuff we don't. Their sociology department was a joke and had a ton of guys flock to that department a decade ago.

I'm fine with the discussion of Duke getting the benefit of a favorable whistle. But please, you must be willing to admit this happens in other places, as well. Being blind when a team you want to win gets a favorable whistle, and focusing solely on how the refs and the NCAA cheat for Duke, is intellectually dishonest.

What I continue to find humorous, though, is the people that deny that officials cheat. It's pretty well documented at this point, people just choose to ignore it.

In "The Jordan Rules", Sam Smith had a chapter about the Bulls first round series against Philly. As is typical in a best of 5, the Bulls won games 1&2 at home, then go to Philly for Game 3, don't get any calls and Philly beats them handily.

Before game 4, either Jordan or Jackson walks into the locker room pre-game, after just seeing the officials walk out of their dressing room. He announces to the players who one of the officials is, and the team celebrates. Bulls win Game 4 easily.

This is how it works, folks. The powers that be know who to send when they want to influence the outcome.

It's been happening for years.

Since Coach K lived through his third season after the Iron Dukes told him "win or you're gone," dUKe's program has been as good as there has been in the subsequent three decades. Probably the best. K himself will go down in history as one of the greatest - some will say the greatest college coach of all time. It's crazy to doubt that or say they're a Johnny Come Lately. Now...to call them a "power" before K arrived on campus shows a lack of the meaning of that term. As we've said many times before, I used to walk into Cameron, pay face value for tickets and sit eight rows behind either bench during three of K's first four seasons. What he's built over that time is tremendous.

It's not the winningest program in the history of revenue generating athletics tremendous - but nothing else is...

GO BIG BLUE!

Full Definition of JOHNNY-COME-LATELY

1: a late or recent arrival : newcomer
2: upstart <established families tend to hold themselves above the Johnny-come-latelies — William Zeckendorf †1976>

I think no titles prior to 1991 speaks for itself. Add in the fact that all of Duke's titles were won under just one coach, and you start moving closer to the idea that Duke is "a late or recent arrival" to Blueblood status.

Johnny-Come-Lately is a perfectly proper characterization of Duke at this point.

Duke is popular. There is a strong love/hate relationship with them. People watch their games, even when they don't have a specific rooting interest in either team. (Anti-Duke is a rooting interest in itself).

Duke drives ratings. Ratings drive revenue. This was discussed pretty heavily when Duke was given a favorable draw in 2010, the last tournament before the NCAA re-negotiated its TV contract with CBS for the tournament. It was after that tourney that every game became available, as the contract was expanded to allow Turner/TBS/TruTV to also televise games. It was viewed as important to get Duke to the championship game and ensure high ratings, as this would help the NCAA in negotiations with CBS, etc.

Rocket science, it isn't.

Full Definition of JOHNNY-COME-LATELY

1: a late or recent arrival : newcomer
2: upstart <established families tend to hold themselves above the Johnny-come-latelies — William Zeckendorf †1976>

I think no titles prior to 1991 speaks for itself. Add in the fact that all of Duke's titles were won under just one coach, and you start moving closer to the idea that Duke is "a late or recent arrival" to Blueblood status.

Johnny-Come-Lately is a perfectly proper characterization of Duke at this point.

DOJ, I appreciate your post and understand where you're coming from. I'll agree to disagree. As I ended my post - there is only one winningest program in the history of revenue generating sports. It's not dUKe, for certain. Heck, Coach K passed Adolph Rupp in losses 21 seasons ago...

I'm still waiting for the dUKe fans who used to come by telling us that "the ACC had a post season tournament before the SEC" or the "why do you say dUKe wasn't a "power" before coach K?" Facts 'n data kill...and I'm simply waiting for those retorts...and look forward to the 'share' once again...

GO BIG BLUE!

what, exactly, is your theory as to WHY the refs would favor duke over another team?

Ok, first of all we start with the premise that Duke, along with UNCheat have been the darlings of the NCAA starting with Dean Smith, who took over after a point shaving scandal, and then since Krybabyshitski started at Duke with his clean cut looks and history at West Point. They have overlooked everything that has happened at both schools, all the while hammering other schools. So, let's start there.

The NCAA has a vested interest in their pet schools succeeding so they can be the face of the NCAA, representing all that is good and holy in college sports. It is not a giant leap to go from there, to putting pressure on those in charge of officiating to favor those schools. I know people will scoff at this, but whose head is in the sand here? Far worse things go on in sports, academia, law enforcement, and politics.

And Duke and Coach K aren't shady?

Chris Duhon and Lane Thomas say "hi" and those are the ones we know about. Imagine the stuff we don't. Their sociology department was a joke and had a ton of guys flock to that department a decade ago.

Lance Thomas?? Wtf is with you people and that one? Yes, K told a jeweler to give him jewelry that he would pay for later. Loll. He wasn't even at the school anymore when that went down. And kids getting Sociology degrees? Ohhhhh! Soooo bad! At least they had to actually attend class. Who says everyone must be a Pre Med major? Pretty lame.

Lance Thomas?? Wtf is with you people and that one? Yes, K told a jeweler to give him jewelry that he would pay for later. Loll. He wasn't even at the school anymore when that went down. And kids getting Sociology degrees? Ohhhhh! Soooo bad! At least they had to actually attend class. Who says everyone must be a Pre Med major? Pretty lame.

Wrong. Happened in December 2009, during his senior year. You know the 2010 title year.

Whaaaat? Lance Thomas was enrolled at Duke when that went down. The season was still going on. YOU CANNOT GET A LOAN LIKE THAT, THAT WOULDN'T BE AWARDED TO JUST ANY OTHER COLLEGE STUDENT! Never mind how he had $30k in cash and refused to talk to the NCAA nor did Duke cooperate due to them being a private school, the loan is all that was needed to vacate.

I'm suggesting your sociology department was a joke and similar to the BS UNC did.

I also, liked that you ignored the Duhon story with his mom's house getting paid off and saved from foreclosure the week Chris commits to Duke despite her having NO JOB. And don't tell me that K wasn't involved in getting his mom set up with an executive position at a Duke booster's company that she wasn't qualified for nor was the job ever advertised.

Go spew that BS to your delusional Duke fans that believe in the phony image.

Isn't it though?? Lol. An article by some Duke hater from 2006. Unreal.

He's a Duke hater? LOL. He was a professor at Duke who claims Coach K who kept academically challenged players eligible through paper classes.

Stop hiding your head in the sand, Duke is no better than anyone else.

Ok, first of all we start with the premise that Duke, along with UNCheat have been the darlings of the NCAA starting with Dean Smith, who took over after a point shaving scandal, and then since Krybabyshitski started at Duke with his clean cut looks and history at West Point. They have overlooked everything that has happened at both schools, all the while hammering other schools. So, let's start there.

The NCAA has a vested interest in their pet schools succeeding so they can be the face of the NCAA, representing all that is good and holy in college sports. It is not a giant leap to go from there, to putting pressure on those in charge of officiating to favor those schools. I know people will scoff at this, but whose head is in the sand here? Far worse things go on in sports, academia, law enforcement, and politics.

"Krybabyshitski"? Lollll, grow up, clown. Your jealousy is now VERY apparent. And pleeeaaasssse spare me the "WTF do we have to be jealous of?!......Bullshit. Ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Hey queef, do you need our approval? Why else are you over here? Get lost. You're still a lifetime away from ever catching up to 8

Nothing to do with particularly duke, Lance Thomas is just the example but I still haven't seen anything in the NCAA rules that say what Lance Thomas did was a violation unless they can prove he was directly given the money by an agent or someone from duke.

Not defending anybody or anything just questioning the rules.

Re: the lance thomas thing. If you do a bit of reading on the history of that jewelry dealer, ($97,800 worth of jewelry from Rafaello & Co., which also does business as A+A Diamonds Ltd.) you'll find that they have taken advantage of many so called "celebrities" in over-charging them RIDICULOUS PRICES for low quality merchandise. I doubt they even knew who lance thomas was, nor did much background checking.

i'm pretty sure that ANY somewhat "famous" person walking in with an "entourage" and 30 grand in cash could have gotten the same exact "down payment" arrangement for jewels worth about 17K.

the question on most peoples' minds is, how did he get 30K. To presume that an "sports agent" gave it to him is a stretch......Lance wasn't really a lock for the league, went undrafted, and floundered in the D-league for a while.

the word on this side of haterverse, is that he got the money from family.

ADVERTISEMENT