ADVERTISEMENT

In Duke's 5 title wins, they have shot 41 more FTs vs opponents

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
Duke 28
Kansas 8
*Duke wins by 7 and gets to the title game off of a bogus touch foul to hit game winning free throws Vs UNLV

Duke-22
Mich-12
+Duke wins by 20

Duke 22
Arizona- 19
*Duke wins by 10 (the big story in this game is JayWill not getting his 4th while off the ground and laying on Gardner's back*

Duke 16
Butler 18
-2 for Duke, wins by 2

Duke 20
Wisc 10
*Duke wins by 5

That combines for

Duke- 108
Opponents- 67

And in 1999, they shot 9 more free throws than UConn but still lost.

Now compare these numbers to UK's free throws Vs opponents in title games.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Great DD Heisman. Not surprised. I don't care what anyone says. The fix is in like Don King in boxing.

Doesn't seem significant to me. 8 more per game. Not saying they don't get the call. We all know they do, but it's not that big of a discrepancy.

Reactions: BlueCat43
That's great, but congrats to them. K has the Dukies rolling and they are neck in neck with us on every recruit, and in every race for a final four/ championship. I respect the hell outta that program and their coach regardless of the perception they have Or my personal hate for them. Being a Kentucky fan Im not salty over any one program especially them. Very excited we play them in 7 months! Pay back for 2012.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
No commentary on the officiating per se, but Coach K adheres to the same Bob Knight basketball philosophy you should always make more free throws than your opponent shoots. A lot of his schemes flow from that.

So it's not like it just happens magically. It's a bedrock part of the way he coaches.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Not an obsession, now look at our 8 title game wins (overlooking the losses that includes two title game losses where teams shot +21 and +24 against us)

UK- 19
Bay-24

UK- 19
OKA-23

UK-24
KSt- 18

UK-36
Sea-30

UK-25
Duke-34

UK- 13
Cuse-14

UK- 17
Utah-22

UK- 21
KU-15

Combines for

Kentucky- 174
Opponents-180

In 8 title game wins, we shot six less free throws than our opponents.In only two of our eight titles, did we shoot more free throws.

Like I said, I didn't even include the losses of ours and Duke's because it would have been even more staggering.

Last edited:
Duke 28
Kansas 8
*Duke wins by 7 and gets to the title game off of a bogus touch foul to hit game winning free throws Vs UNLV

Duke-22
Mich-12
+Duke wins by 20

Duke 22
Arizona- 19
*Duke wins by 10 (the big story in this game is JayWill not getting his 4th while off the ground and laying on Gardner's back*

Duke 16
Butler 18
-2 for Duke, wins by 2

Duke 20
Wisc 10
*Duke wins by 5

That combines for

Duke- 108
Opponents- 67

***Yeah, I thought the arena was going to storm the court on those refs. when they allowed Jay-Will. the free piggy-back ride w/ no foul called.....most ridiculous call / no-call I've ever seen - at the very least in a Championship Game. That ref overseeing that - hope he got graded an "F" by some peer for that job.

Duke 28
Kansas 8

Duke-22
Mich-12
+Duke wins by 20

Duke 22
Arizona- 19

Duke 16
Butler 18
-2 for Duke, wins by 2

Duke 20
Wisc 10
*Duke wins by 5

That combines for

Duke- 108
Opponents- 67

lol. This thread (OP posted exact same thread on the UNC board, but tailored it to UNC fans) failed pretty hard as it was quickly pointed out that UNC has an even bigger FT difference in their title games lmao.

I guess Duke ins't the only program the refs cheat for in title games......

Very good info, so going forward from now on in any game where Kentucky shoots more foul shots than its opponents we'll just consider it fixed in advance I guess because the free throw count is supposed to be "even Steven" in a Basketball game. (Why don't you give us the field goal percentage and 3 point field goal numbers from those games?)

Speaking of refs, ya Know Bill Foster only received one technical foul during the 1977-78 season. The very last game of the year...

Very good info, so going forward from now on in any game where Kentucky shoots more foul shots than its opponents we'll just consider it fixed in advance I guess because the free throw count is supposed to be even Steven in a Basketball game.

Speaking of refs, ya Know Bill Foster only received one technical foul during the 1977-78 season. The very last game of the year.....
and it would still take UK 10 years to catch up in that department.

lol. This thread (OP posted exact same thread on the UNC board, but tailored it to UNC fans) failed pretty hard as it was quickly pointed out that UNC has an even bigger FT difference in their title games lmao.

Then why are you watching if you think the sport is rigged?

Its called "I don't want to get banned over there yet after a two year suspension so I can post when the hammer finally comes down."

Now as for you Duke fans, you can gladly go touch off.

I'm as anti Duke as you'll find but not willing to say that they get "all the calls" as some would. However, you have to be kidding yourself not to believe that Duke isn't shown a heavy dose of favoritism from the NCAA, the media, announcers, and the majority of officials (especially when the game is on line in the closing minutes)

They're like the Red Sox and Yankees in baseball. They play to get the calls and more often than not it works. What's funny is the free throw discrepancy when Duke is not a draw contact type of team offensively. They have always shot threes like crazy. So they're getting all of those free throws flopping on the other end. To me, that cheapens the game (and their success) every bit as much as the Four Corners did with UNC.

Yes, because reading box scores from games clearly tells you everything you need to know about fouls in that game. Stupid NCAA, with their 30-years-worth-of-instructing-refs-to-cheat-for-Duke agenda.

Do they even have box scores for Kentucky's titles? Half of Kentucky's titles were won back in the 40s and 50s. Did the "box score" exist back then?

Ah, the predictable swipe at UK winning titles way back in dem good ole days before indoor plumbing and fancy store-bought clothes.

I m not sure but I think there stats this tourney vs opponents - from the foul line was pretty big.

Duke 28
Kansas 8

Duke-22
Mich-12
+Duke wins by 20

Duke 22
Arizona- 19

Duke 16
Butler 18
-2 for Duke, wins by 2

Duke 20
Wisc 10
*Duke wins by 5

That combines for

Duke- 108
Opponents- 67

Nothing new. They always shoot more free throws than their opponents.

Is it true that Ratface is part of The Illuminati?

That would explain a lot of the officiating and favorable media coverage.

Yes, because reading box scores from games clearly tells you everything you need to know about fouls in that game. Stupid NCAA, with their 30-years-worth-of-instructing-refs-to-cheat-for-Duke agenda.

You're right... there are plenty of things a box score can't tell you... often, you just have to see it with your own eyes:

attachment.php

^^^NOT a foul on Dook... and it won't show up in the box score.

Ah, the predictable swipe at UK winning titles way back in dem good ole days before indoor plumbing and fancy store-bought clothes.

No no, not meant as a swipe... I just didn't know if they kept box scores back then. After I looked a bit, I see that they do, although they are obviously a lot different than what we are used to.

Doesn't seem significant to me. 8 more per game. Not saying they don't get the call. We all know they do, but it's not that big of a discrepancy.
Agreed. That was my reaction as well. Those numbers are completely believable and some teams deliberately make getting to the line part of their game plan. Duke wasn't always the best team the year that they won those titles but I 've never seen a title that they won that I thought they got away with murder.

No no, not meant as a swipe... I just didn't know if they kept box scores back then. After I looked a bit, I see that they do, although they are obviously a lot different than what we are used to.

Sorry then if I took your meaning wrong. It's a common charge from some members of UNCheat's fanbase.

Even more significant when you consider that most K teams are jump shooting teams.

Duke may not get every call. But they sure get most of them.

if duke "got all the calls", i'm pretty sure they'd have more than 5 titles..... :)

Not necessarily. Let's look at your neighboring Golden Boy, for instance. We know that UNCheat assembled plenty of talented teams, during that 20 year span when they didn't even have to worry about making the grades or going to class... and they only managed 3 titles during that period. Sometimes, even with the refs on your side and the NCAA giving you an easy path in the Tournament... it just isn't enough.

You think we got screwed against Wisky? If we'd won that night, we'd have gotten screwed on a monumental level against dook. Though I don't think I can ever forget 3 shot clock violations.

Agreed. That was my reaction as well. Those numbers are completely believable and some teams deliberately make getting to the line part of their game plan. Duke wasn't always the best team the year that they won those titles but I 've never seen a title that they won that I thought they got away with murder.

Then you need to rewatch the games. Especially 91 (plus UNLV F4 game), the Arizona title game (by far the worst), and this years. That is 3 titles they DO NOT WIN without officiating help. I'm leaving out 92 and the stomp that should have ejected Laetner (sp?) and suspended him the next game.

Easy argument to say refs handed them 3-4 titles.

Not necessarily. Let's look at your neighboring Golden Boy, for instance. We know that UNCheat assembled plenty of talented teams, during that 20 year span when they didn't even have to worry about making the grades or going to class... and they only managed 3 titles during that period. Sometimes, even with the refs on your side and the NCAA giving you an easy path in the Tournament... it just isn't enough.
so, we DO "get all the calls? or we don't "get all the calls"? or we just get the calls on the ones we win? but we're just so terrible on the ones we lose....i'm confused with your logic.

would you actually agree that duke had honestly won ANY games at all without "getting all the calls"?

you can't have it both ways.....either we do, or we don't..

Reactions: Vic Von Erich
Sorry then if I took your meaning wrong. It's a common charge from some members of UNCheat's fanbase.

Don't mind them, they are just upset that there is no box score for the game where they won the Helm's National Title.

The thing about a statistical witch hunt is this:

If you think there's a witch, you'll find a witch. In technical terms, it's called confirmation bias.

These Duke posts suck. All they do is remind me that we did not win the NC.

so, we DO "get all the calls? or we don't "get all the calls"? or we just get the calls on the ones we win? but we're just so terrible on the ones we lose....i'm confused with your logic.

would you actually agree that duke had honestly won ANY games at all without "getting all the calls"?

you can't have it both ways.....either we do, or we don't..

Stop being so disingenuous. You know exactly what someone means when they say that you get all the calls...

attachment.php

^^^do you want to explain this?

Last edited:
i hav no idea where that shot came from. and speaking of "disingenuous", could we not pull multiple shots from ANY team where a call didn't go as you wanted it, so therefore, ALL calls are favoring ANY team?

that doesn't really hold up...

Yes because whenever there's a foul discrepancy, it's always because one team has the ref in it's back pocket *rolls eyes

Some teams are good at getting to the line, some are not.
Also some teams just foul more than others.

Here's what I believe....

Duke's victories over Wisconsin this year and over Maryland in 2001 were outright screw jobs. Referees took over both games and handed them to Duke.

Duke's loss to Indiana in 2002 was a screw job against Duke. Was kind of funny watching one of their players go after the referee when the game was over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT