ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine if Cal could pull this off

Apr 21, 2015
I know I've been one of the chicken little fans and I own that. But imagine if Cal brought in Brown, Diallo, Maker, and Murray. This to go along with Skai, Briscoe, and Mathews. That would give us 3 of the Super Five players and 6 of the top 10 players assuming Murray would currently be ranked as a top 10 player. I realize the chances of this aren't super high but if Cal pulled this off, this would be the best class of all time-Atleast by the number of top players signed.

Reactions: ala_kat2
I know I've been one of the chicken little fans and I own that. But imagine if Cal brought in Brown, Diallo, Maker, and Murray. This to go along with Skai, Briscoe, and Mathews. That would give us 3 of the Super Five players and 6 of the top 10 players assuming Murray would currently be ranked as a top 10 player. I realize the chances of this aren't super high but if Cal pulled this off, this would be the best class of all time-Atleast by the number of top players signed.
Not only are the chances of that not super high, they are in fact zero; absolutely no chance that will happen. However, if we can get Diallo, Mulder, and Murray, or at least two out of those three then we should be an awesome team next year and maybe come close to winning it all yet again.

those 4 wouldn't happen but we will get some combo of at least 2 of those and that would make us easily the best team next year as right now if we added no one (which would never ever happen ) we are a top 5 team but UNC and Duke if they get Ingram would be better IMO. But if we add say Diallo ,Mulder and Murray we are much better then both those teams though as i said even at this moment we have more pros then either as Ulis , Poy , Briscoe ,Skal , Lee and Matthews will all play pro ball and UNC AND DUke combined probably have 10 pros next year.

those 4 wouldn't happen but we will get some combo of at least 2 of those and that would make us easily the best team next year as right now if we added no one (which would never ever happen ) we are a top 5 team but UNC and Duke if they get Ingram would be better IMO. But if we add say Diallo ,Mulder and Murray we are much better then both those teams though as i said even at this moment we have more pros then either as Ulis , Poy , Briscoe ,Skal , Lee and Matthews will all play pro ball and UNC AND DUke combined probably have 10 pros next year.
pros, going to the NBA?? Who cares. Unless these guys win a championship they just become another byline. The goal is to win number nine, not send guys to the NBA. we proved this year that you can fill a team with stars and still lose when it matters most.

Can we just have Ingram, Murray, and Diallo instead? That would give us another guard that can shoot, a long athletic 3 that can shoot, and another big with a a motor!

pros, going to the NBA?? Who cares. Unless these guys win a championship they just become another byline. The goal is to win number nine, not send guys to the NBA. we proved this year that you can fill a team with stars and still lose when it matters most.

I agree with this 100%, Mr. Hot Dice. Thanks for posting it.

Agree 100%!! The extent to which the NBA, who is a pro, etc. on every roster or now every potential roster we have has become a major annoyance. I don't care what they can do in the league one day. I do care how they can help the Kentucky Wildcats win another championship.

Agree 100%!! The extent to which the NBA, who is a pro, etc. on every roster or now every potential roster we have has become a major annoyance. I don't care what they can do in the league one day. I do care how they can help the Kentucky Wildcats win another championship.

It's because in order to win an NCAA championship you need to have NBA-caliber players on your roster. And when you send those players off to the draft, more NBA-caliber players line up to take their place. It's not just about getting players drafted or pushing them out the door after one year. It is a very self-serving rotation of great players. Ask Coach Kryzxgkwdnxlqski if it works!

pros, going to the NBA?? Who cares. Unless these guys win a championship they just become another byline. The goal is to win number nine, not send guys to the NBA. We proved this year that you can fill a team with stars and still lose when it matters most.
And in 2012 we proved you can fill a team with stars and win a title. No offense, but I just don't get your point, HotDice.

(And FWIW I care about the pros thing too. I'm in love with the League and love seeing our guys fly high.)

Too many players. As you saw, you really can't play 10 players in the tournament. As "ggood" as our backups were, there is no justification for having Dakari on the court as many minutes as towns.

The ideal scenario would be to get an elite wing, a solid backup wing and a strong/bulky backup big.

Ideally we get:

Brown/Murray
Mulder
backup big

I know people are foaming at the mouth over diallo, but he's really kind of a luxury. we need a wing way more.

And in 2012 we proved you can fill a team with stars and win a title. No offense, but I just don't get your point, HotDice.

(And FWIW I care about the pros thing too. I'm in love with the League and love seeing our guys fly high.)
Then join an NBA team's message board and post there.

Lets all go back to the good ole days when Tubby and BCG recruited for Kentucky. Right now UK has never had as much talent coming in and going out in my lifetime. I am sure everyone of Cal's teams at UK wanted to win a NC. Sh!t happens in college basketball and in sports. Nine is coming and then maybe some of these posters will STFU. GBB

Ideally you would get Murray and either Brown or Ingram. That is what you need. We only need to be 7-8 deep, as that is all Cal wants to play. The problem this year was platooning. I'm neither for or against platooning, but you can't start out full board platooning, then half way through the season work your way down to a 7-8 man rotation. It is better to keep consistency throughout the season regardless of the system, and Cal only wants to play 7-8 players. You currently have Poy, Lee, and Skal inside, but only Ulis and Briscoe outside. Thus the need for Murray and anote wing, Brown or Ingram ideally.

Cal cares....

And from his quotes over the years he always seems to address his players bettering themselves financially via the NBA.....Never hear him desiring National Championships with the same fervor.. which is kind of awkward considering his pay comes from UK and not the NBA

He obviously thinks he can accomplish both as long as he keeps getting the top players.....This is one reason why I think Cal never plays zone; to prep his guys for the NBA..even though zone occasionally can help UK win games......Hard to argue with his record

Preach it brother!

OP, you can't help but start a thread at one extreme or another. Try posting in existing threads so that you can get the hang of how a message board works...

I agree with what you're saying to a point. But what would you rather them do? Recruit worse players on purpose? I know that the number of future pros on a team doesn't necessarily mean a championship. But when it comes down to it the better the players, the better chance you have of winning. We only won one championship, but we made for final fours and five years. That's what having an abundance of talent has done. Keep us in the hunt every.......single........year.

The goal is to win the title each year. But if that's your only goal, you will be solely disappointed. Hate to break it to you guys crying in this thread but theses McD's AA, their main goal is not winning a collegiate national title. Sure, probably most would consider it nice to win it but it's not the reason. They say that, but that's just something you're supposed to say. If it was, UK would have 7 more guys on the roster. You need talent. Become a byline?? Yeah, guys like Mashburn are a byline bc they didn't win a title.

I know you are mad we lost, I am too but at this point reason should be creeping back in.

Guys read the Tyus Battle article on this site. We now have two recruits on record whose parents have pushed them away from UK because of this @&$?& one year of platooning.

Cal has always played 7 guys, 8 at the most n the past, with the bulk of playing time going to 5-6 guys. We have got to get back to that. It may be exciting to fantasize about pulling in 6 five star recruits to go with the 3 we have remaining, but in real life, few recruits are going to voluntarily walk into a situation like we had last year.

Cals also right in that it is POY and Marcus Lee's time. Poy is a Senior - he will start and be a team leader - Marcus is a Junior and would have started for many teams in the country. Marcus needs to either start or be the first guy off the bench to relieve the PF/C and hopefully get 20+ mpg in the process.

Recruiting-wise, the platoon is a big anchor around our neck that rivals are using against us. We've got to undo the damage next year even if it means we're not an unbeatable juggernaut.

And next year is the year to do it. Right now there don't appear to be any teams that look to be invincible. Plus, 2016 is about the most talent-rich recruiting class I can remember. The last thing in the world we would want to do is load up guys from a weak 2015 class.

Reactions: stuway
The goal is to win the title each year. But if that's your only goal, you will be solely disappointed. Hate to break it to you guys crying in this thread but theses McD's AA, their main goal is not winning a collegiate national title. Sure, probably most would consider it nice to win it but it's not the reason. They say that, but that's just something you're supposed to say. If it was, UK would have 7 more guys on the roster. You need talent. Become a byline?? Yeah, guys like Mashburn are a byline bc they didn't win a title.

I know you are mad we lost, I am too but at this point reason should be creeping back in.

Agree. During the recruiting process this is a business decision for the kid. Before the season he will train hard to display his skills to the NBA during the upcoming season. During the season these kids are competitors and want to win a title. After the season it is once again about the individual.

This board somehow just gets worse and worse. Who are all these fake fans??

Guys read the Tyus Battle article on this site. We now have two recruits on record whose parents have pushed them away from UK because of this @&$?& one year of platooning.

Cal has always played 7 guys, 8 at the most n the past, with the bulk of playing time going to 5-6 guys. We have got to get back to that. It may be exciting to fantasize about pulling in 6 five star recruits to go with the 3 we have remaining, but in real life, few recruits are going to voluntarily walk into a situation like we had last year.

Cals also right in that it is POY and Marcus Lee's time. Poy is a Senior - he will start and be a team leader - Marcus is a Junior and would have started for many teams in the country. Marcus needs to either start or be the first guy off the bench to relieve the PF/C and hopefully get 20+ mpg in the process.

Recruiting-wise, the platoon is a big anchor around our neck that rivals are using against us. We've got to undo the damage next year even if it means we're not an unbeatable juggernaut.

And next year is the year to do it. Right now there don't appear to be any teams that look to be invincible. Plus, 2016 is about the most talent-rich recruiting class I can remember. The last thing in the world we would want to do is load up guys from a weak 2015 class.

Unless Marcus has improved leaps and bounds, him starting is not a good sign. That means we have a player worse than him on the bench. I hope the light comes on for him, I love his attitude and hustle, but it is very difficult to teach bball instincts.

I agree with this 100%, Mr. Hot Dice. Thanks for posting it.
you don't win without alot of them and to say otherwise is foolish . That is what matters. Now i agree you need role players and such as we needed Kyle and Vargas in 12' but we won because of Jones , AD , Teague , MKG , Miller , Lamb . 6 guys who were or are pros . And we went 38-1 b/c we had 10 pros who weren't injured . ect. you want to get to the final 4 every year like Cal does ? have lots and lots of pros . that is the name of the game . And every guy including Mulder we are looking at are pros so again Cal has positioned himself well for a final 4 and if you are there you have a 25% of winning it all or better and i will take that every damn day. Tubby and BCG showed what not having pros does .

great post Ballou.

Like Cal said, we need 2 maybe 3 more tops.

Cal will not platoon next season. He wanted that message sent loud and clear, which is why he tweeted out that we will go back to a 6-7 man rotation next year.

Other coaches are using the platooning against him.

Our fans aren't helping things by constantly complaining about not getting a ton of studs.

We do not need and will not get 3-4 more studs.

Cal will play 6-7 guys. Ulis, Briscoe, Poythress, Lee, and Labissiere are 5 of those 6 or 7. So we need 1 or 2 more elite guys.

Optimally, we need an elite wing (Murray, Brown, or Ingram) first and foremost. That is likely Cal's top priority.

With an elite wing we are set. Anyone else is bonus.

Any parent who is pushing their kid somewhere else because of the platooning thing is an ignorant nincompoop. Cal had no intention of having 10 solid guys on the team last year. It was because the twins came back that it was even an issue. And when Poy went down he almost immediately abandoned the 5 for 5 thing. It CLEARLY won't be an issue this year.

Reactions: brianpoe
Any parent who is pushing their kid somewhere else because of the platooning thing is an ignorant nincompoop. Cal had no intention of having 10 solid guys on the team last year. It was because the twins came back that it was even an issue. And when Poy went down he almost immediately abandoned the 5 for 5 thing. It CLEARLY won't be an issue this year.

While that's certainly true, it doesn't mean a platoon system is required. He wouldn't have been the first coach to have to make some tough decisions regarding playing time.
Not saying he was wrong to do it, after all he had a great season. But he wasn't forced into the platoon system as he & some fans have portrayed.

I'm cool with Diallo and Mulder. They give UK what they need. Murray would be icing on a beautiful, Final Four-bound cake.

Speak for yourself. UK's goal is to make sure that student-athletes that go to UK move on in one way or another to see success with their lives and careers after school. The players' short term goals are to win another championship for UK, and long term goals would obviously be to have a long, successful career in the NBA. They may be belittled to simply a byline to you, maybe, but I'm damn proud of the things that the players accomplish here, and in the NBA or elsewhere, so speak for yourself in that regard.
UK basketball has existed for 112 years, and Kentucky has 8 national titles; the second most of any D1 basketball program. It's tough to do, and there are more measurements of success, though titles are what we aim for. All players at UK contributed to the success.

Unless Marcus has improved leaps and bounds, him starting is not a good sign. That means we have a player worse than him on the bench. I hope the light comes on for him, I love his attitude and hustle, but it is very difficult to teach bball instincts.
Marcus' problem isn't that he isn't good. It's that he's played behind a guy that has identical strengths but arguably does them all better. I actually like Lee's instincts better than willie. It's just that willie was a once in a generation type of defender. Marcus is actually above average defending the perimeter, just not on Willies level.

He is an atrocious shooter. But he still manages to hit 60%+ of his shots and has a high rebound and block rate.

Hopefully he is getting 20 minutes per game as a backup to skal and poy. He would probably be the best option in the nation in that role.

People seem to forget what Lee did in his only stretch getting real minutes. That was 13 months ago.

Marcus' problem isn't that he isn't good. It's that he's played behind a guy that has identical strengths but arguably does them all better. I actually like Lee's instincts better than willie. It's just that willie was a once in a generation type of defender. Marcus is actually above average defending the perimeter, just not on Willies level.

He is an atrocious shooter. But he still manages to hit 60%+ of his shots and has a high rebound and block rate.

Hopefully he is getting 20 minutes per game as a backup to skal and poy. He would probably be the best option in the nation in that role.

People seem to forget what Lee did in his only stretch getting real minutes. That was 13 months ago.

I definitely didn't forget Lee's play during the previous run. WCS doesn't have good bball instincts either! I don't think his problems are physical in nature at all. He has poor anticipation skills and gets lost on both ends of the floor.

And since you do remember his play in the previous tournament you know that 99% of his shots are dunks or put-backs thus the 60% stat.

I love the kid and hope he does well, but as for now we are just hoping he can take that next step and improve, because he will be needed.

Best case scenario is Murray and Diallo.

7-man rotation:

Three guards (Ulis, Briscoe, Murray) and four forwards (Poythress, Lee, Labissiere, and Diallo).

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT