ADVERTISEMENT

I'm so excited...

Oct 12, 2012
is it just me but I am stoked for a crazy season again. With Murray we have ALL the tools to make another run... How is Cal going to hand Lee, Matthews , and Willis minutes this year.

So much talent on this roster it's stupid. I can't wait for these summer reports to start rolling in... I'm almost more excited then I was last year... Is this bad?

I know how you're feelings! Call me crazy, perhaps a tinge of self serving bias but...

5. Towns/Dakari vs Scal -- equal, in essence Dakari's added depth was not needed, we would have been better giving his minutes to Karl and a few more to WCS.
4. WCS/Lyles/Lee vs Poy/Lee -- edge 2014-2015 but Poy/Lee could give them a run for their money
2/3. Aaron/Booker vs. Briscoe/Murray/Mathews/Mulder - edge 2015/2016
1. Andrew/Tyler vs. Tyler -- edge 2015-2016

Kind of hard to make a comparison like this as last years squad played Lyles out of position, and both squads don't have a true wing, but overall I really like our backcourt more for 2015-2016. The front court has a slight advantage for 2014-2015, but to some degree I feel our depth wasn't an advantage late in the year, it certainly didn't seem like it during the Notre Dame and Wisconsin games where both teams played around 7 guys and had no issues with fatigue. With that in mind I believe the 2015-2016 squad's front court could be just as effective, sure it would require significantly improved play by Poy and Lee, but both are capable and will be given every opportunity to do so. Count me as very excited, is it October yet???

I think the projected starters for next year compare favorably to the 2012 starters. Not quite as good on paper, but pretty solid.

G Ulis/Teague- I think Ulis is the purest PG we've had since Teague.
G Murray/Lamb- Murray is a better passer and ballhandler, but I doubt he is as good a shooter as Lamb.
G Briscoe/Kidd-Gilchrist- Briscoe is smaller and won't be as good on the boards, but probably shoots better.
F Poythress/Jones- Poythress is better on defense, Jones is better on offense.
F Labissiere/Davis- these two are very similar, it will be hard for Labissiere to match what Davis could do, though.

I don't know about you guys but it always seems like the summer just drags by when you are waiting for the next UK Basketball season.

i only wish i could enjoy the basketball season in a warm climate. how many days 'til madness?

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
I too am very excited about this upcoming season and think we have a lot of firepower. To compare this team to the one that we just had though is unfair. It is unfair on the kids coming in. We had 6 guys drafted and 7 that will likely play in the league. To say that Skal, Briscoe, Murray, Matthews and Mulder will fill the shoes of those that left is unfair expectations.

I do think though with Murray we have one of the top teams in the country and lots of versatility and weapons. I can't wait for the season to get started!

I haven't seen Skal play at all, but he certainly has hype. With that said, Davis is a once in time player. Look at what contract he just signed in his 4th year. Comparing anyone to him is futile. They may have qualities but Davis is in a league of his own.

I think Skal might be more Nerlens with more offense/less defense.

Yep... it's a bad case of Big Blue Basketball withdrawal, right now. I wish there was a Bahamas trip, or something, this year.

I'm very hyped. Cal has once again put together a team that should compete for a title.

I have to admit that I'm pretty pumped about the season. Day by day the excitement continues to build as we get closer to Big Blue Madness, and the time for basketball once again in the bluegrass.

KENTUCKY-DRUMMER.gif

I think the projected starters for next year compare favorably to the 2012 starters. Not quite as good on paper, but pretty solid.

G Ulis/Teague- I think Ulis is the purest PG we've had since Teague.
G Murray/Lamb- Murray is a better passer and ballhandler, but I doubt he is as good a shooter as Lamb.
G Briscoe/Kidd-Gilchrist- Briscoe is smaller and won't be as good on the boards, but probably shoots better.
F Poythress/Jones- Poythress is better on defense, Jones is better on offense.
F Labissiere/Davis- these two are very similar, it will be hard for Labissiere to match what Davis could do, though.

I really like Ulis, but Teague was a big part of the title..He averaged something like 15ppg in the tourney...advantage 12
Will need to see more of Murray, but right now ill take him over Lamb..slight advantage 16
Briscoe is not close to MKG..enough said.. big advantage 12...
Jones was the backbone of that team..go watch the NCAA games ..Watch Jones and get back to me..Huge advantage 12
Skal vs Davis i think is very close..Skal is much better offensive player at this stage..Davis will be the better defensive player... slight advantage 12

I haven't seen Skal play at all, but he certainly has hype. With that said, Davis is a once in time player. Look at what contract he just signed in his 4th year. Comparing anyone to him is futile. They may have qualities but Davis is in a league of his own.

I think Skal might be more Nerlens with more offense/less defense.

You should watch Skal..He will remind you of Davis ...Not the NBA Davis, but the UK fr Davis...Skal will put up better numbers ..He wont be the shot blocker,..look for him to be 1st team AA

I'm excited...but I enjoy other sports so I do not wish away my summer and most of fall for the first real game action in November. That is a long way away still.

I really like Ulis, but Teague was a big part of the title..He averaged something like 15ppg in the tourney...advantage 12
Will need to see more of Murray, but right now ill take him over Lamb..slight advantage 16
Briscoe is not close to MKG..enough said.. big advantage 12...
Jones was the backbone of that team..go watch the NCAA games ..Watch Jones and get back to me..Huge advantage 12
Skal vs Davis i think is very close..Skal is much better offensive player at this stage..Davis will be the better defensive player... slight advantage 12

Agreed.

Here is the thing, we know what we had with '12, we are guessing about '16.

After the season, we can make a better comparison.

Who knows what the future holds?

Who knows which one of these guys could emerge as a superstar?

I think this will be a very different team than any we have seen in the Cal era.We have(for the most part)been able to tell what we had,or didn't have fairly early in the season.I don't think that will be the case this time around.I believe it will be mid to late January before we see the real 15/16 Wildcats.

Will we have enough front court to get the job done? Will our back court and wing players be able to mesh together well enough to carry this team? They will be fun to watch for sure,we will get up and down the court but can we defend the paint and rebound well enough?

Murray will have to be as good as we think he is,Mulder will have to be better than the average JUCO.AP will have to be(and stay) healthy and Lee and Willis are going to have to give us more than they have since they have been here.

As someone said earlier UK football could be more fun than usual this season but I am ready to see what the basketball Cats have got in store for us,bring it on!!

I think there is going to be a real good Football & Basketball season for all of us to enjoy.

Yeah there's one thing that we always think about with these past teams. Can they shoot? From the field and the free throw line, will this group be special in those areas? A lot of folks have always said that we lack this, but this year I think we just may see this at its best from more positions.

Yeah there's one thing that we always think about with these past teams. Can they shoot? From the field and the free throw line, will this group be special in those areas? A lot of folks have always said that we lack this, but this year I think we just may see this at its best from more positions.

Hard to say, but shooting should be better with this group.

Ulis- 43% from 3, 81% from the FT line. That's proven shooting.

Murray- based on what we saw at the Nike Hoops Summit, he can flat light it up from anywhere on the floor.

Briscoe- won a 3 point shooting contest, looked like he has a great stroke. His game is all about getting into the paint, drawing contact for the "and 1." He has said in interviews he wants to live at the free throw line for "and 1" attempts.

Mulder- 46% from 3 in JUCO, hopefully that translates to D-1.

Poythress- shoots FT's fairly well (high 60's for his career, IIRC), has to improve his stroke from 3.

Labissiere- should be fine from the line, not sure how well he will shoot from behind the arc if he shoots it from there much at all. Has a nice shooting touch.

Lee- won't shoot 3's much (hopefully) and really needs to improve his shooting from the line or he might be on the bench a lot.

Matthews- decent shooter, but more of a slasher. Not sure about his free throws.

Willis- a capable shooter.

Hawkins- needs to continue to work on his stroke.

Overall, we should have at least two capable 3 point shooters on the floor at all times. We probably won't see Lee too much at crunch time unless he improves his stroke from the charity stripe. All the rest of the guys should have a decent stroke from the line. The biggest mystery for me is Labissiere. I haven't seen enough to know how good his shooting is. Guards usually shoot it well from the line, so I'm not worried that much about free throws from those guys.

Last edited:
I'm excited for a lot of reasons, but can't wait to see this team with a true point guard like Ullis.

I'm pretty jacked too. But I'm a big MLB and NFL guy too so its not like I'm dying for the season to start or anything.

Wouldn't exactly call shooting anywhere in the 60s good from the free throw line

I said fairly well. It's probably average for his position(the 4 spot).

He looked good last year before the injury. He was 12-14(87%) from the FT line. If he shoots that percentage all year, look out!

I would be fine with around 70% for the season from Poy.

that's a great song. the key change in the pre-chorus is great. don't forget to move real slow folks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT