ADVERTISEMENT

If you were considered a top draft pick, which NBA team would you refuse to go to?

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
I know the majority of us would go anywhere but let's pretend you have an Eli Manning/John Elway mentality and don't want to go to a particular organization/city. Which one would you flat out not want to start your career in? It can be one to three teams.

For me, Detroit would be one team I would flat out refuse to play for and I'd have no desire to live in that area or surrounding area.

Detroit would be tempting to say no too, but I would say yes to anywhere honestly, and just be happy to be playing... Maybe if I were in that actual position my ego would be so much larger and it would be different, but for now I would go anywhere, especially the places that will likely have the top picks this season

can a player refuse? Serious question....

Kobe's people allegedly threatened to play ball in Italy if New Jersey drafted him. It has never been confirmed but plenty of guys have not wanted to go to certain teams. Its just more prevalent in the NFL.

Reactions: Bkocats
Minnesota, because I don't wanna spend my winters in Minnesota.

I wouldn't want to live in Minnesota, Milwakee, Detroit or Cleveland...

Easy solution. Buy a home in Florida (no state income tax). Get a condo or rental for the season in whatever crappy city you land in that is near the arena and practice facility. You are on the road for 1/2 the games any ways. Making big money anywhere makes a crappy city never seem so bad. GBB

Kobe's people allegedly threatened to play ball in Italy if New Jersey drafted him. It has never been confirmed but plenty of guys have not wanted to go to certain teams. Its just more prevalent in the NFL.

I seen something the other day that Calipari was going to take Kobe, but Kobe was threatining to go overseas. So instead they drafted Kerry Kittles.

Link

wow, crazy that no one has mentioned Sacramento, by far the worst organization in the league.

I wouldn't want to live in Minnesota, Milwakee, Detroit or Cleveland...
^^^agree with this

Places I'd want to play would of course be a winner, but also I"m not a big city guy. I'd favor a place like OKC. Love the Midwest/West anyway.

Tim Duncan said he wasn't going anywhere it wasn't warm. Meanwhile Pitino thought Boston had a chance at drafting him. The guy just can't buy a clue. Pretty sure a player has a right to refuse, especially a high draft pick can force a trade.

Some people are just naming teams that suck. In that case I guess you should just be average in college so your stock drop

Since you only have so many years to make the cash, you have to stay away from the high income tax states like Cali and NY

I'd actually prefer a smaller market due to less traffic, but I'm a hermit by nature, so that's just me.

can a player refuse? Serious question....

Steve Francis pitched a fit in live TV about going to Vancouver, and forced a trade to Houston.

I wouldn't refuse to play anywhere. If I got picked by Detroit, Sacramento or someone of that ilk, I would play my 3 years then become a free agent and pick the situation that's best for me.

Reactions: Bkocats
The Knicks are a great choice, but Utah, Portland, and Sacramento get honorable mentions

I know the majority of us would go anywhere but let's pretend you have an Eli Manning/John Elway mentality and don't want to go to a particular organization/city. Which one would you flat out not want to start your career in? It can be one to three teams.

For me, Detroit would be one team I would flat out refuse to play for and I'd have no desire to live in that area or surrounding area.
For $3-$4 million a year, i'd learn to love any city in America.

ADVERTISEMENT