ADVERTISEMENT

If you could piece one team together, seven deep, of all ex-UK players

EvilMD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2003
Al McGuire once said if you gave him one superstar and four Bob Benders, he'd win you a national title. Because Bob Bender (Duke player) was that scrappy John Pelphrey type who did all the things except score that help you win ball games. So if you could put seven guys together to win a title, who would you choose?

I'd go with Kyle Macy, Derek Anderson, Louie Dampier, Jamal Mashburn, Kenny Walker, Dan Issel, and Anthony Davis.

I've got scoring, rebounding, free throw shooting, outside shooting, inside moves. I'll take these seven and beat any seven you can come up with.

Al McGuire once said if you gave him one superstar and four Bob Benders, he'd win you a national title. Because Bob Bender (Duke player) was that scrappy John Pelphrey type who did all the things except score that help you win ball games. So if you could put seven guys together to win a title, who would you choose?

I'd go with Kyle Macy, Derek Anderson, Louie Dampier, Jamal Mashburn, Kenny Walker, Dan Issel, and Anthony Davis.

I've got scoring, rebounding, free throw shooting, outside shooting, inside moves. I'll take these seven and beat any seven you can come up with.

Tony Delk, Rex Chapman, Anthony Davis, Jamal Mashburn, Dan Issel, Cotton Nash and Kenny Walker

I'm only listing guys since I really got into watching the Cats (the late 80's).

G Wall
G Chapman
G Anderson
F Mashburn
F Davis
6th Delk
7th Towns

IMO, the front court is Davis, Issel and Mashburn and I wouldn't even consider anyone else in my starting front court. Here is my starting 5 and 1 inside and 1 outside player off the bench:

C - Davis
F - Issel
F - Mashburn
G - Delk
G - Wall

G - Macy - could run the point or play the 2
F/C - K. Walker - could come in for Davis and you move Issel to C or could come in as a F

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
C - Davis
F - Mashburn
F - MKG
G - Delk
G - Wall

F - K. Walker
C - Cousins

False

I'll stick with players from the "modern" era since that is how the game is played today.

AD
John Wall
Tony Delk
Karl Towns
Antione Walker
Brandon Knight
Walter McCarty

The first 5 seemed pretty easy to me. Best 1,2,3,4 and 5 we've had in the past 20 years, imo. The last 2, well, I wanted a shooter to back up Wall and Delk and the same with Walter backing up on the front court but also capable is stretching the defense.

PG - John wall
SG - Tony Delk
SF - Jack Givens
SF - Kevin Grevey
PF - Dan Issel - played center but I put him @ PF
C - Anthony Davis
C - DeMarcus Cousins

I think these are the all time player at there pos.

Last edited:
All you guys just picking the best scorer at every position are missing the point. You need an alpha scorer, a couple of guys you can go to if they key on your alpha, and then guys who love doing the dirty work. I've got Issel and Mashburn for scoring, and Macy, Anderson, and Davis doing all the glue things that win you ball games. Dampier and Walker off the bench.

All you guys just picking the best scorer at every position are missing the point.

Not me, I picked the 7 main rotation guys from the 2012 team.
Mine is a proven winner. I have the best list here, clearly.

Just using players I watched play:

PG- Wall
SG- Delk
SF- MKG
PF- Mashburn
C- Davis

Bench-
Anderson
Cousins

Pretty much everyone you chose was an all-American. I don't get how that's any different.

I don't know, I'll stick with my seven. You'd catch hell trying to score on them on the inside and they'd kill you from inside or out. Perimeter D would be a mild concern, but I don't think you could keep up with their scoring. All these guys were team players. Antoine would bring the swagger.

IMO, the front court is Davis, Issel and Mashburn and I wouldn't even consider anyone else in my starting front court.
Absolutely.

I'm convinced that Dampier though might be our all time best all-around shooter and yet nobody is mentioning him. I said before my all-time UK backcourt would be Wall and Dampier so I'll stick with that which leaves two more guys. They would be Cotton Nash and Kenny Walker. Lack of guards would be negated by the fact the Mash could play the 1 or 2 if need be.

So thats

Davis
Issel
Mashburn
Wall
Dampier
Nash
Walker

best team ever

To win a title in today's college basketball?

Wall
Delk
Prince
Mash
Davis

Knight
Boogie

I really feel like Prince and Chuck Hayes needs to be on here somewhere

Guards:
Wall
Knight(can play 1 or 2)

Wings:
Mashburn(can play 2, 3, or 4)
Prince(can play 3 or 4)

Bigs:
Davis(4 or 5)
Cousins(4 or 5)
Randle (4, but can play 3 or 5 in a pinch)

Anything before the 90's and I can conced. Tried to fit in Hayes but couldn't justify it. Loved Hayes.

I would choose:

Anthony Davis
John Wall
Jamal Mashburn
Kenny Walker
Tony Delk
KAT
Derek Anderson

GBB

Davis wasn't a great scorer. Macy wasn't a great scorer. Anderson wasn't a great scorer.
Davis led the team in scoring and was a first team all-america selection. Macy was a first team all-America selection in 1980 and led the team in scoring that year. Anderson may have if he played the whole year in 97. He was second to Mercer.

PG: Wall (athletic, savvy pg)
SG: Lamb (sweet shooting, nothing flashy, always calm)
SF: MKG (to the guy who said he doesn't deserve to be on these lists: you didn't watch MKG enough in college. This isn't an NBA All-Star selection where the highest PPG/Position is getting picked. I'm picking for chemistry, and there isn't a player alive that could reasonably refuse wanting to play with MKG. He's your contagious hustle guy, your glue guy, your guy that never gives anything less than 150%, and he's got a title ring to prove that what I'm saying is legit).
PF: Davis (duh)
C: Boogie (raw beast that lets the other team know that aren't getting away with cheap shots or anything easy. Wears defenses down with his size and strength).

Bench:
Knight (clutch, can play 1 or 2).
Patterson (another glue guy with that never give less than your best attitude. Can also play 4/5, and possibly the 3 if he isn't asked to handle the ball- can shoot and catch the oop).

Wall
Knight
Mashburn
Cousins
Davis

T Jones
Walker

Its ova. Rebounding, toughness, defense, athletic, scoring. Not one flaw in the Masterpiece.

I'd love to see this lineup play together. They aren't the best ever at their positions, but I think they'd do well together.

PG Wall
SG Delk
SF Mashburn
PF AD
C Noel

Backups
Meeks
Prince

PG Wall
SG Meeks
SF MKG
PF Cousins
C Davis

SG Lamb
C KAT

That's pretty good, I would like to have had an eight man rotation so I could have another guard or PF:popcorn:

1--Bill Spivey 2--Anthony Davis 3--Dan Issel 4--Frank Ramsey 5--Jamal Mashburn 6--Kyle Macy 7--Tony Delk
There are many deserving but this is my seven.

PG - Rondo
SG - Bledsoe
SF - Liggins
PF - Walker
C - Cousins

C - Magloire
G - Carruth

Seven of the most fiery personalities to grace the court for UK in the last 20 years. I'd like to see them all on one squad. I'd call the team, "The Psychopath Express".

This is a hard one but mine would be.

PG- John Wall
SG- Tony Delk or Rex Chapman
SF-- Jamal Mashburn
PF--Anthony Davis
C--Demarcus Cousins

CG--Brandon Knight
F---Towns
F--Randle

ADVERTISEMENT